[OFFICIAL Q&A] Ask the Rejuvenation dev team!

Zumi

Two questions:

1. Was making this thread a mistake because holy hell the amount of responses.

2. So I know some of this predates thing I played but I feel like V10 and 11 were massive overhauls of the game including basically writing the entire beginning over. Was there anything particular that made you push for those massive overhauls or was it simply a lot of whimsical decisions that worked out? I'm mostly curious due to quite some drastic changes.

• Upvote 1

Speaking about Getting the mega ring through the story, i have to hunches as to where you might get it from, I don’t know if i hit the spot but i feel like Amber is trying to give it to us but she cant, my evidence being that every time she wants to give us the item something always happens to interrupt her or The black box given to us by Ren has connections with us obtaining the ring, but like I said its just a hunch and I'm just blowing my own bubble  but then again the way the story has been going on, I feel like obtaining it is gonna be a whole adventure 

I have lots of questions so be patient with me 😞

1) Will Follower Pokemon be a thing thats in the game?

2) Are the any areas that could potentially be remapped in the immediate future?

3) What was the idea around making the protag the interceptor?

4) What was the thought process behind putting the Amanda cutscene while we were crossing Zone Zero?

5) Why were Shadow Pokemon initially put into the game?

6) Why was the S.S. Oceania attacked?

7) How did people like Nim and Crescent obtain their psychic powers?

If I see any I can answer to save Jan work, I will since I do have some knowledge.

1 hour ago, GreatNinja said:

-Any plans for Ash-Greninja? Will it be available?

-Any Plans for Nuzlocke runs?

I think the general consensus for Reborn is that we prefer Protean Greninja since it is less broken and causes less headaches in designing the game. Maybe Jan will do a hail Mary and add it in but right now it seems unlikely.

No idea if you're asking if Jan will do a nuzlocke or if you're talking about the Nuzlocke scripts that force Pokemon to stay dead. Personally, I see no need for the script since it's you, the player, accepting the Pokemon is dead despite the ability to manipulate the game in denial. There's too many rules and variations trying to force restrictions just ends up making the experience worse imo. It's your run, you are the one making the rules.

35 minutes ago, Alisae said:

1) This is the real reason I'm responding. I think all of us are all for adding follower Pokemon but at this stage, it's just not possible. Jan added it in WLL which was nice but Rejuv is a much, much bigger beast and that baby would need to be scripted and bug tested like crazy in order for it to be an acceptable, quality feature. It's just too buggy as it stands right now and no fan is willing to put forth effort to fix it. I mean I'm willing but I quite honestly can't because I just don't have the time with Redux and the Rejuv run being way too massive to take on any other endeavors.

I have a feeling Jan will say the same thing. We absolutely would love to have that feature too, but we do not have the time. If you really want this feature, you guys gotta help us out and polish it up to a maintainable level. If you guys aren't willing to try and put forth the effort, I don't think we'll ever see the light on this feature. It's not complicated to do, but it has what feels like a 100 little issues most of us don't have the time for. But what I'd like to have is a revamped version of PersonThing's version removing much of the tedious elements in it. (I did tinker with it hence the infamous Chikorita Army I pic I posted). If I find time which is very, very unlikely, I will look into it more, but I'm hoping someone else (preferably with better scripting skills) tries to take the helm and work on it.

I think this is already strongly implied, but is Adam homosexual? I don't mean this question in an offensive manner, I'm all for more representation being queer myself, and it's nice to see the game's primary romance being between two girls and not forcing the player through romance themselves, as I dislike harem tropes myself. If so, 

Spoiler

are him and Damien (I think that was him?) attracted to one another (edit: again?), or just hanging out?

(V12 stuff above)

Edit: I'm pretty sure the game outright states both my spoiler and non-spoiler question to be true. I'd forgotten the content of some earlier cutscenes due to not having seen them in a while.

11 hours ago, A̸͖̬͎̖̯̼̫͍ͣ̾ͧ͆͋͘͟ͅžͫ͗̈̅͗ͯ said:

So fun fact, Inuki did a playthrough JUST like that, when we were thinking of putting Ledian's crest earlier.

There's a reason why it's so late.

The main purpose for them is to make weaker Pokemon actually usable in the end-game anyways. A majority of these from my experience have some decent use earlier on and then fall off(Looking at you my boi Dedenne 😔.) There's one or two that I think could be earlier but the vast majority don't really need that.

After all, Ledian's crest is essentially Hugest Power for punching moves, and it's really easy to get a good moveset on it with tutor changes in V12. It being where it is makes sense to me as it becomes a true glass cannon. Just make sure to EV train it!

Edited by interdiction

Wow, this is a cool opportunity. So i have a few questions:

1) Will there be a way to go back to old east gearen implemented in a future update (such as a timesplicer crystal maybe)? There's a lot of stuff that can be missed there. I didn't end up doing the hidden library help requests before the city got upgraded and I feel like I missed out on a really cool and important sidequest.

2) Do you plan on bringing back the old protagonists alternate outfits?

3) Any plans to add in a sort of recap? The time between versions, while unavoidable makes it really hard for players, well at least me to remember the story. It would be cool if you added a sort of chapter recap option on the main menu so you can get a quick summary of the story so far.

4) Will battle bond Greninja be added? I really wanna add a Greninja to my team but I feel sort of discouraged because a character in the main story already has one. It would be a neat way to distinguish it from Ren's Greninja.

5) Once the game is done, is there any plans to add a New Game+ option? I feel like there's so much that I missed but I don't want to start a new game because I don't wanna lose my Pokemon.

Hi yall,

I love the game and to see it evolve from V5 when I started into what it is now has been really amazing and truly you all have done an incredible job.

One of my favorite aspects of the game is the Shadow Pokemon since XD and Colosseum looked really cool but I never got around to playing those games; will Shadow Pokemon come back into the story, and if they do, will they soon?

Thanks again yall, I'm glad I gave this game a try!

Tanks for adding this post! I have a few questions regarding battles and not just the Pokémon battles. 

-Will there be battles where the MC will have to fight someone (EX. the unknown dimension, Saki vs Amanda, and Allen vs bladestar)or is our main focus Pokemon battles?

-Also regards to the first question about personal battles, will there be double battles too?

More or less how is the process of creating a Gym Leader/Boss' team? I remember Valarie in particular being so broken back in the day not only did her team have to get nerfed, her field had to get changed too. When exactly is the moment where you just end up saying "Yeah, this is a bit too much, gotta tone it down a bit"?

• Veterans
2 hours ago, Glynda said:

More or less how is the process of creating a Gym Leader/Boss' team? I remember Valarie in particular being so broken back in the day not only did her team have to get nerfed, her field had to get changed too. When exactly is the moment where you just end up saying "Yeah, this is a bit too much, gotta tone it down a bit"?

Probably the point where intended hard-checks or counters fail to do their job properly. This is a lot more necessary in early-game though. By late game the player has so many tools we don't -really- need to do that as much anymore, outside of the segments where you play as other characters.

3 hours ago, TheWaddleDee said:

Hi yall,

I love the game and to see it evolve from V5 when I started into what it is now has been really amazing and truly you all have done an incredible job.

One of my favorite aspects of the game is the Shadow Pokemon since XD and Colosseum looked really cool but I never got around to playing those games; will Shadow Pokemon come back into the story, and if they do, will they soon?

Thanks again yall, I'm glad I gave this game a try!

There will be some more Shadow Pokemon in the future, but they're not the focus of the plot. You've already destroyed the factory they were made in, after all.

Hi! I've got a few dev-related questions, hopefully they're not too many/too boring for y'all  : > (( and I also hope no one's asked these before, if so, sorry : < ))

1) How long have you been working on Rejuvenation, roughly?

2) How hard is it to optimize RPGMaker so the game doesn't lag too hard?

3) Rejuvenation feels like a very big project, so how do you manage to stay focused while making it? Have you ever had to take long breaks to recharge dem inspiration batteries?

PS: thanks for making such an awesome game!

• Veterans
28 minutes ago, Raion said:

Hello! Will it be able to get Pokemons over Level 100 in Rejuvenation?

Levels will not go over 100 during the main-story of the game. Post Game however....

• Veterans

alright hi i woke up so now i can get cracking at some of your questions! i can't answer them all, but i'll try to get a good chunk out of the way. sorry if i skipped your question bc that means someone else might be better off answering those for you! It's a long ass post so I'm putting it in a spoiler, but have a good read!

Spoiler

9 hours ago, ShinyGolem said:

Is the dex planned to have any impact/rewards in the future? It doesnt really mean a lot right now. I beliwvw reborn had an npc who gave rewards which is nice as a reward for those trying to keep up with catching everything

There's no current rewards, but it's possible we'll add in something for that in the future! Actually, it sounds kinda logical now I think about it.

maybe my ingame npc will have more purpose than just upgrading the dex but that's up to jan in the end HJSDHSDJ

9 hours ago, Reginald Sanshire said:

Will Zumi ever get to Grand Dream City to show off the Advanced Pokedex that we helped her with?

perhaps for the above mentioned???? the world will never know

9 hours ago, Ruby Red said:

Will we be able to chose pronouns for MC in the future, or are we forever gonna be they/them?
unless its already implemented and i just dont know lol

maybe in a future version where we decide to add it for polish! might be added in the last version because it's a ton of work, but i wouldn't be opposed to helping out with it.

8 hours ago, Mr. Akeda said:

1) I am curious who is the developer's favourite character in pokemon rejuvenation

2) Is Madame X the curent strongest person in the game at this time? (comparing her to Karen, Crescent specifically)

3) I understand everything is down to interpretation and what was said about the topic so i apologize in advance here but if there was going to be even a subtle love interest wouldn't Aelita be the most logical choice? (this is just to satisfy my dying dream)

4) Are there any plans to do another game when this is completed? (ok i am finished now)

1) My personal faves are Aelita and Ren at the moment! Tho I also really like Amber, Nim, Erin, Venam, Huey and Reina.

2) There's yet anyone outside of the MC to beat her in battle, so I'd say so, yes!

3) We're not going to confirm or deny anything about whether a character is the most "logical" option, because if we do, we please one person and piss off a couple of others in the process, so there's no benefit in us for claiming if one chararcer would've been the "canon" route. There's never been a "canon" route as there's never been plans for romance with any of the characters.

4) Jan is planning to do a different game after Rejuv as far as I'm aware, but I'm not sure if this is gonna be another fangame or something else entirely.

8 hours ago, Muckizard said:

How is it possible for Ren to use an artificial body?Is it something like body transfer-NastasiaTech? If he somehow died in the artificial body,will he be gone for good? 

Probably something along the lines of transferring consciousness into an artificial body! He won't die if his body is destroyed, which is something he's said before (or at least along those lines), which allows for him to take on more reckless missions.

8 hours ago, enderowl said:

I might get a vague answer for this but I'm going to ask anyways.  Is the MC two people in one person, or just his own being?

Why don't you find out in a future version? :^)

8 hours ago, Commander said:

Two questions:

1. Was making this thread a mistake because holy hell the amount of responses.

2. So I know some of this predates thing I played but I feel like V10 and 11 were massive overhauls of the game including basically writing the entire beginning over. Was there anything particular that made you push for those massive overhauls or was it simply a lot of whimsical decisions that worked out? I'm mostly curious due to quite some drastic changes.

1) no, bc this is a prime opportunity to give some answers rather than leaving people in the dark

2) If the game can be improved, why not take that opportunity? There's no reason to not do it outside of just not feeling like it, but pretty much the entire dev team is like this -- if something can be better, we'll work to make it better.

7 hours ago, GreatNinja said:

-Any plans for Ash-Greninja? Will it be available?

-Any Plans for Nuzlocke runs?

1) no and who knows :^)

2) currently there's no settings for it, but it's possible to add these in later!

6 hours ago, Alisae said:

2) Are the any areas that could potentially be remapped in the immediate future?

3) What was the idea around making the protag the interceptor?

4) What was the thought process behind putting the Amanda cutscene while we were crossing Zone Zero?

5) Why were Shadow Pokemon initially put into the game?

6) Why was the S.S. Oceania attacked?

7) How did people like Nim and Crescent obtain their psychic powers?

1) We're not adding these in as a main thing because we have a full dex and not all of the overworld sprites for it, so this will likely remain a mod-only thing.

2) Yes! There's actually one that Jan is currently working on redoing, but you'll probably get a preview later down the road as it's not done yet. :^)

3) Can't really go too much into detail about this one, but it's a little bit meta. I can't speak for Jan so he might be able to clear this one up better for you than I can, but I think the idea is that you, the player, can view scenes and/or things that the actual character you're controlling can't, which is where the idea came from. How far this is gonna be taken is gonna remain a secret tho!

4) Didn't you have to scratch your head when Melia showed up during that scene while she was supposed to be in the stasis pod in Zone Zero? 👀

5) I don't remember the details clearly so maybe Jan might be better off answering this one LOL

6) To gather people to send to Blacksteeple. Y'all know what was gonna happen there :^)

7) Can't answer this one, sorry!

6 hours ago, interdiction said:

I think this is already strongly implied, but is Adam homosexual? I don't mean this question in an offensive manner, I'm all for more representation being queer myself, and it's nice to see the game's primary romance being between two girls and not forcing the player through romance themselves, as I dislike harem tropes myself. If so, 

Reveal hidden contents

are him and Damien (I think that was him?) attracted to one another (edit: again?), or just hanging out?

(V12 stuff above)

Edit: I'm pretty sure the game outright states both my spoiler and non-spoiler question to be true. I'd forgotten the content of some earlier cutscenes due to not having seen them in a while.

Adam is homosexual! But unfortunately his crush on Damien is onesided and his feelings aren't reciprocated : (

5 hours ago, The Fangame Riddler said:

What are the plans for a postgame, should you decide to implement one in?

Probably a lot of sidequests for legendaries, a couple of superbosses -- stuff like that! Don't know much about the other plans, but there's deffo gonna be a post game.

5 hours ago, D3ltaDragon117 said:

Wow, this is a cool opportunity. So i have a few questions:

1) Will there be a way to go back to old east gearen implemented in a future update (such as a timesplicer crystal maybe)? There's a lot of stuff that can be missed there. I didn't end up doing the hidden library help requests before the city got upgraded and I feel like I missed out on a really cool and important sidequest.

2) Do you plan on bringing back the old protagonists alternate outfits?

3) Any plans to add in a sort of recap? The time between versions, while unavoidable makes it really hard for players, well at least me to remember the story. It would be cool if you added a sort of chapter recap option on the main menu so you can get a quick summary of the story so far.

4) Will battle bond Greninja be added? I really wanna add a Greninja to my team but I feel sort of discouraged because a character in the main story already has one. It would be a neat way to distinguish it from Ren's Greninja.

5) Once the game is done, is there any plans to add a New Game+ option? I feel like there's so much that I missed but I don't want to start a new game because I don't wanna lose my Pokemon.

1) I don't think this'll happen, so make sure to do everything while it's still available.

2) No. The legacy sprites are no longer supported and will no longer receive updates.

3) We want to add in a journal, but please know this is much harder than people are making it sound and there's a LOT of content to summarize, so please understand that this might take a while if we're implementing this.

4) Already answered this question in this same point. We're not planning to add it in right now.

5) No clue actually?? Is that even possible with a mon game??? i honestly don't know LOL

5 hours ago, Chrixai said:

Tanks for adding this post! I have a few questions regarding battles and not just the Pokémon battles. 

-Will there be battles where the MC will have to fight someone (EX. the unknown dimension, Saki vs Amanda, and Allen vs bladestar)or is our main focus Pokemon battles?

-Also regards to the first question about personal battles, will there be double battles too?

1) Don't think the MC will physically have to fight anyone LOL

tho i guess they did in the Unown dimension. but that was also a special case. so honestly idk. main focus is still pokemon battles tho!

2) given how much the game broke by just trying to get the 1v1's to work, i doubt double battles will happen lmao

3 hours ago, SunSlash said:

any chance for more reborn crossover stuff (maybe the MC in reborn meets Rejuv MC?)

The Rejuvenation/Reborn crossover isn't done yet! There's still one last thing to wrap up...

2 hours ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

I've always wondered. When you 1st meet Melia, how old is she? I know that when we reunite with her, she spent 3 years in the past.

Melia is about 15-16 years old when you first meet her. She's around the same age as Venam and the MC post-timeskip, so roughly 18 years old!

1 hour ago, FlygonFreak said:

Hi! I've got a few dev-related questions, hopefully they're not too many/too boring for y'all  : > (( and I also hope no one's asked these before, if so, sorry : < ))

1) How long have you been working on Rejuvenation, roughly?

2) How hard is it to optimize RPGMaker so the game doesn't lag too hard?

3) Rejuvenation feels like a very big project, so how do you manage to stay focused while making it? Have you ever had to take long breaks to recharge dem inspiration batteries?

PS: thanks for making such an awesome game!

1) I've been helping out since the start, so for about ~5 years now! Rejuv's been in development for a pretty long time and honestly I can't believe how fast the time has gone by since Rejuv first became a thing

2) God it's a pain. Some stuff runs fine on one computer and then blows up another person's computer, so it's kinda difficult to balance it. We try to not use features that we know don't work properly on weaker pc's though, like playing videos within the engine or gifs. We tried that with the flora bladestar intermission at the GDC Tournament........ didn't work that great LOL

3) Jan has had multiple burnouts while working on the game because he doesn't know how to take a fuckin break (SMH), but usually after that it's back to the drawing board and working again! Taking breaks usually is the most important to stay focused tbh.

For me personally, I usually crunch on my work for a couple of days and then hibernate for a few months, tho V12 awoke something inside of me for some fucking reason and now I can't seem to stop working on the game when the opportunity shows bc I'm having an absolute blast with doing graphics for it, but I do take in mind to take breaks bc otherwise it's not good for my health too yknow LOL

And thank YOU for playing the game! This goes to all of you ❤️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1. Are you ok with all the available mods out there? Like debug mod for example.

2. Any chance for more starters? Just a normal pick your starter options, not this 1/1000 chance of some cool mons (that is no longer in the game since v10, rip) 

3. Will our choice matter? Im talking about game chaning events based on our choice.