[OFFICIAL Q&A] Ask the Rejuvenation dev team!

Zumi

This is a Jan question: If you had to basically restart working on Rejuvenation from scratch, what would be the number one thing you'd trash, rewrite, or wipe from the existence of humanity? Basically, I'm just asking if there's anything you'd want to do completely differently if it were possible.

But for the rest of the devs: What's your favorite sidequest in the game and why?

I just want to say how much I love this game and I would like to thank y'all for working on it! This is the best fangame i've played so far and???idk i just love it and aaa!!!!

Now, just for fun: how would you describe the MC's voice? 👀

Spoiler

Since Ren pointed out the MC's voice was different than the usual when we got possessed by probably Adrest (I know possessed may not be the best word to describe it but i'm dumb)

Before this thread closes I really want to know if in later Versions Aelita, Telsa, and Amber will realize that they are family or will their family tree be spoked upon in later Versions because Ever since WLL and the whole Aelita being Taelia and Vivian Reincarnated, it jus has been bugging me like FOREVER and will family ties be spoken upon also in later Versions ?

I have a few questions. 

Spoiler

Why was Cleffa put in jail in GDC? What did Cleffa do wrong?! LOL 

2.  What was your favorite event Pokemon to script in so far? (Type: Null, Fennekin, etc.)

3.  If there's any amusing moments in Rejuvenation, which ones are they and why? 

4. Was there any characters you originally planned on putting in the game and then scrapped or redesigned completely? 

That's for the reply.  I have a couple of more relevant questions.

Spoiler

When Karen performed her spell improperly, her mind was damaged.  If Karen bathes in the Spring of Rejuvenation, would it heal her damaged mind?  If not, it is because it's too much damage for the spring to heal or is it because the spring only works on the body, rather than the mind?

• Developers
Spoiler

6 hours ago, Harryp said:

1. Was the Amanda we meet supposed to be a robot from the start of development. Jan seems to be writing as he goes (it has to be a pain to update the past content to fit the current narrative.)

- Ren's character was written terribly assumably joining team xen because we saved his town it sounded quite geniune, but he apparently joined to save melia but why didn't ren just leave team xen when he found out she was alive. We meet ren when we are looking for crawli but that's the last time we meet him until v11 where he is a VERY important character. The MC and the cast should have had more interactions with him between the gap.

2. Are we going to actually battle flora seriously? We fought Ryland who was controlled by flora, she even says that ryland's Pokemon were disappointing. Bladestar had a terrible defeat they got destroyed in the judicial district off screen, the mechanical rayquaza also vanquished dozens of them. They took the limelight for a while just to be slaughtered.

3. Is the ANA side quest going into the main story? It is a amazing sidequest with unique content.

4. How are you going to distribute mega stones and z-crystals? Sidequests, some in the main story?

5. How are hard is it going to be sprite all the gen 8 Pokemon from scratch add abilities, move sets and implement them into old and new areas. Are you going to add additional gen 8 features as well?

6. Was Pokemon rejuvenation intentionaly made to give off an anime feel? It just gives off the feeling, with charcter interactions and such implying the latter, same with the story and the format of the game ("arcs"). Many people are also asking for romance. We get our starter 1 hour into the game and there are many segments were its just story with there being an apparent lack of gameplay, the game also contains tons of text (also before battles your screwed if you lose, for example ryland battle if you lose you have to spam a).

Thank you very much for creating this amazing, and innovative game it provides a unique view on the Pokemon world an experience the main series could not emulate. The sprites, art, story are all fantastic.

What is every developers favorite part of Pokemon rejuvenation?

1.) Mm, I actually haven't been writing as I go since V6 (Which is Amber's Gym). I have a loooong txt file on my desktop that has the story completely written out, and I've been going from there. Updating past areas never change the narrative. All I do when revamping an area is taking that part of the story, improving it, but never ever changing the base line of it. Ren did not join Team Xen as an act of revenge on the player. When you go into Wispy Ruins, you see Crescent stop him to chat, after that he's brought to her domain which is shown in V11. He says it quite clearly that he would never join until it meant reviving a friend. But yeah I agree that he probably should've shown up more, there just wasn't much space for him to exist until v11. From V5 he's off to GDC, and it takes 4 versions to get there, the next one deals with other issues, and then v11. Part of the reason why I think it feels like he was gone for so long was the wait between versions. Now if you play the game through it doesn't actually take that long. Oh well, knowledge for future games!

-Leaving a criminal organization on a whim sounds nice, but even irl if you just left there would be dire consequences. Usually with you ending up dead. 

-There are quite a few hints on Amanda being "dubious", Visually and in text. in game Jan mentions that Amanda has disappeared for 3 weeks without contact and mentions her new hat as she has never been seen with one before. In the OG build mentioned before, she was just a double agent. In current rejuv she's an android because I like being extra and pushing the boundaries xd.

2.) Yes

3.) Sort of.

4.) They're already being distributed.

5.) Not necessarily difficult, but tedious and time consuming.

6.) Nah, I just like animating sprites. I like being extra and flexxing-- It just sorta turned into whatever it is now. 

My favorite part is mapping the areas and improving :]

3 hours ago, nhehvnukl said:
  Hide contents

Is there any other Bladestar admins other then V and Flora?

V is more of an affiliate than an Admin. She's doing her own thing. Other than Flora, Jenkel. 

2 hours ago, SilverAngelus said:

Not all of these questions are v12 spoilers, but I'll just put them all in one spoiler tag anyway ._.

Reveal hidden contents

1) What is it about the Xenpurgis that scares Flora so much?

2) Why is the Xen HQ the same building as Rejuvenation co.? I almost thought Madame X was Nastasia’s mom when I first saw that xD (I know she isn’t 😉

3) Erin, Allen, and Alice pretty much have the same blonder hair color, but Melia’s hair appears a bit more darker blonde color. Is there a reason for that?

4) I never really understood how/why the two Kanons were different. Do you mind explaining this?

5) During the events of the Pyramid, Allen fought the Bladestar Admin’s robot (that his mom spent her life savings on 😅 ). I won that fight, so I was wondering what would have happened if he had lost.

6) Is Adrienn (from Reborn) the new Fairy type Gym leader of Aevium? If Aya can become a replacement for Venam, then I don’t see why Adrienn wouldn’t be able to be a fairy leader in Aevium, even if temporary.

7) It took like eight hours for the coalition (Nastasia, the MC + co.) to get to Zone Zero with Nastasia’s airship from GDC, iirc. Yet how did Melia and Erick/Madelis get to the Pyramid from West Gearen so quickly?

8 ) Did Melia lose to Tuff Puff? o_o

9) Not really a question, I just want to say that I find Huey calling Hazuki "Haduken" (back at the tournament) to be hilarious 😹 (for no good reason lol)

I’m sorry for this many questions. I hope you have fun answering them at least 💜

1.) You'll see.

2.) You'll see! x2

3.) Just to differentiate a bit. Allen and Alice have brighter blonde hair, Erin's a bit darker, and Melia's the middle ground.

4.)There's only one! But it's fine if you're confused. The "why" hasn't been shown yet, but soon!

5.)You just lose rep points. That fight was more of me practicing, honestly. lol.

6.)Adrienn's too busy with the city reconstruction to also double as a leader. The Fairy Leader is someone you've met!

7.)It took so long because they had to make it through by foot while looking for the Rift. Once the rift is handled, it's ez pz to get through. Shouldn't take long at all.

8.) She did.

9.) Huey's special 🙂

2 hours ago, D3ltaDragon117 said:

So, a more story related question this time. What's going on with the tournament? Will us and the characters who haven't been eliminated continue to participate in it in future versions, or was it cancelled due to Bladestar's attack?

The tournament's still on!

1 hour ago, Commander said:

This is a Jan question: If you had to basically restart working on Rejuvenation from scratch, what would be the number one thing you'd trash, rewrite, or wipe from the existence of humanity? Basically, I'm just asking if there's anything you'd want to do completely differently if it were possible.

But for the rest of the devs: What's your favorite sidequest in the game and why?

Good question. One thing I don't like, and it's probably an unpopular opinion, but for this particular game I wish I didn't do Gyms. Of course I did them because it was the easy thing to fall under, but yeah. I don't really regret it, they just get in the way sometimes and break the flow. I'd rather just put an end of chapter boss or something. I'd probably also redo the whole layout of the first island too. You can just tell it was constructed without any rhyme or reason. Conversely it's my favorite island so /shrug. 

1 hour ago, Pannaca said:

I just want to say how much I love this game and I would like to thank y'all for working on it! This is the best fangame i've played so far and???idk i just love it and aaa!!!!

Now, just for fun: how would you describe the MC's voice? 👀

Reveal hidden contents

Since Ren pointed out the MC's voice was different than the usual when we got possessed by probably Adrest (I know possessed may not be the best word to describe it but i'm dumb)

Not sure if it's describable. I'd probably just leave that up for headcanoning. Glad you enjoy it ❤️

56 minutes ago, Tj simmons said:

Before this thread closes I really want to know if in later Versions Aelita, Telsa, and Amber will realize that they are family or will their family tree be spoked upon in later Versions because Ever since WLL and the whole Aelita being Taelia and Vivian Reincarnated, it jus has been bugging me like FOREVER and will family ties be spoken upon also in later Versions ?

Yes.

55 minutes ago, XxSilentWinterxX said:

I have a few questions. 

Reveal hidden contents

Why was Cleffa put in jail in GDC? What did Cleffa do wrong?! LOL 

2.  What was your favorite event Pokemon to script in so far? (Type: Null, Fennekin, etc.)

3.  If there's any amusing moments in Rejuvenation, which ones are they and why? 

4. Was there any characters you originally planned on putting in the game and then scrapped or redesigned completely? 

1.) Cleffa is in jail because she is part of the Yakuza. She has committed tax fraud, money laundering and Grand Theft Pokemon. She has been Caught and Detained and she will never be free again to roam the streets.... probably.

2.) Espurr/Growlithe. I stayed up all night doing Espurr's because I had so much fun making it!

3.) My favorite scene is when the gang on Terajuma realize they have to walk through the jungle after the teleporter randomly dies on them. They all have a mental breakdown in unison. 

4.) All the characters are in the game except one and her name is Darcy. She was supposed to be Volta's assistant but Volta's role was changed quite a bit anyway so her existence kinda went in the trash. I could bring her back for a future sidequest! Ryland was redesigned completely. Before he was mostly how Flora is now. I changed him  because having one Flora is enough.

Other notable mentions from the OG build:

-Damien was also much more of a jerk and physically tried to hurt you for info.

-Amber never improved.

-Reina had a personality similar to Shelly. Meek and shy. She also wasn't a twin.

-Ren never got his redemption.

-Valarie and Adam both never appeared after disappearing from Route 7.

-Neved was just greedy and didnt have a daughter. 

-Angie was never freed.

-Beth was a main character.

-Geara was fine after Valor.

-Aelita was stabbed instead of going comatose. 

44 minutes ago, DanelerH said:

That's for the reply.  I have a couple of more relevant questions.

Reveal hidden contents

When Karen performed her spell improperly, her mind was damaged.  If Karen bathes in the Spring of Rejuvenation, would it heal her damaged mind?  If not, it is because it's too much damage for the spring to heal or is it because the spring only works on the body, rather than the mind?

The spring only heals someone physically, not mentally. Karen would have to do a lot more to go back to normal. She had medication for it but after taking iti for so long her body became immune to its effects. 

37 minutes ago, GreatNinja said:

What exactly is the connection between Dr. Jenkel and Flora? We never really saw how they worked together, we only saw them together a couple of times.

He was a friend of Flora's father, William. After William died, Jenkel owed it to his friend to help Flora out with whatever she wanted.

long post owo

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If there's still a chance of this being answered, I'd like to see it.

What advice would any of you give to someone who's currently at the writing/planning stage of their own Pokemon fangame? I'm mainly doing it at this point as screenplay writing practice and character creation exercises, but I might try to make it into an RPG maker game eventually.

Thanks for making Rejuvenation, and thanks for answering everyone's questions!

Welp, it seems a lot of my questions were properly swallowed up, so, uh, unplanned inquiry dump is go, I guess?

Dunno if it's too soon to ask this from a coding perspective, but oh well: once we get enough Zygarde Cores to upgrade it, so to speak, will the reconstruction process reroll the pokemon, or are its traits set from the moment its first put together?

V12 sidequest spoilers:

Spoiler

If the Interceptor took the Decimation to the face in the ruined present, did the ensuing damage occur to that timeline's Core, or the one in Interceptor's timeline of origin?

Is there any chance of Douse getting reworked? I remember being a bit disappointed when I found out that it was just a slightly-stronger Water Gun, and it doesn't seem to have changed any since V9.

Speaking of custom attacks, here's a couple question regarding a certain subset:

1) I remember reading some time ago that it was planned for the Gym Leaders' Signature Moves to be made available to the player later on down the line. Is that intended to be post-game, or will a couple show up slightly earlier?

2) What sort of thought process goes into making the Signature Attacks?

Are the "Mysterious Figures" the rogue Stormchasers that were mentioned in V10?

Does Flora pull the Rift Ferrothorn out for the raid on the Judicial District in the event that the Classified Information hadn't been completed by that point?

Any chance for Cosmog's post-game quest to involve bags?  The meme potential is too great!

Will it maybe possible for a post-game move tutor(s) to teach some Pokemon moves they only learned in special events, similar to Insurgence?  It mostly applies to legendaries/mythicals like Entei and that insane Victini (2nd and 3rd images below), but it would be a nice little bit for the post-game.  However, I can understand mostly wanting to stick to mostly-canon selections of move tutor moves.

Spoiler

Screenshot_470.png.e58e15f674d59c77ffd18ec9067905b4.png

Screenshot_471.png.abdf9b5e85de2221eb9f23043bab8b8f.png

Screenshot_472.png.05865e6e346d6b112c8af4f0a9d72cf0.png

Thank you for answering so many of our questions,  even though I've had to dodge V11 and V12 spoilers like walking through a minefield

Edit:  Will the Toilet Paper key item be used someday, if it hasn't already in stuff I haven't gotten to yet?

Edited by seki108
  • Like 1

-will the madame x machine, or whatever that is in the amethyst caves, be addressed/explained?
-do any of the xen admins/madame x know about the interceptor either as a concept or that its the player? Does crescent?

-were cosmia and comet in GDC since the Oceania sank, before it, or was their presence there relatively newer?

- and considering the amount of references to them , what are any of your favorite side games?
i also just want to say that i really love rejuvenation!! especially all the world building that has gone into it!! i love a lot of the characters and the plot has been a fun ride so far, im really excited to see how it all will come together!!❤︎ 

6 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Since Zumi didnt answer, you remember it wrong. Madame X said "Why are you here? You werent present during the last time it happened". Implying that the entire shebang already happened before (Miera probably), and this entire thing might be some sort of recreation of events or some sort of repeat. It had nothing to do with past events in Kugearen and Hiyoshi. 

Yes,I remember it wrong 

Soooo last set of questions:

1. What dies Jenkel think about Flora and vice versa?

2. Is there any other reason that Bladestar is named that way other then william liking scifi films?

3. Please tell me you have like 50 backups of the "loooong txt file on my desktop that has the story completely written out"

4. Do we canonically put the snag machine on at all times? If so, how come nobody comments on it?

Spoiler

Did William Grevillea found the bladestar to help the people of badlands? Then Flora made it a group of extremist?

I really like mineral ball and steam ball. Is there any plan about adding more custom poke balls?

Were the seven kingdoms part of the garufa civilization?

How could Nymiera have descendants if she live alone in her apartment?

By the way, thanks for answering my previous question.

Last but not least, I want to thank the Rejuvenation Team for answering mostly all of our questions! It was only for the fans and it must have been really tedious sometimes with these amounts of questions here. Thus a last question: How did you feel answering the questions? 

Edit: One last question came to my mind: What if Aya and/or Adrienn die(s) in the last Episode of Reborn?

I really love the game so far.Amazing work.Thank you so much.I always had a few question

1.Why is Amber hesitating so much to give us something?

2.Who is strong enough to break the time stone in valor?

3.Wasn't there a less barbaric way to make Texen annoying?

4.Is the power of the guardians of aevium related to their respective springs? 

Sorry for bad English.It's not my first language  

1.Will there be any rework in the future, like when V10 (Or it was 11) that a lot of maps and scenes are changed? 

2.Have you completed the story yet? Or, it is finished but there may be rework to add more details
3.Does Nastasia still have her Deoxys?

4.The age of each main characters? (If possible, MC included, at least their appearance age if their age has impact to the story(Adress' stuff))

5.Do you consider adding legendary/mythical/UB pokemons in the last Vs? (And please tell me if you do, you wont make us catch all non-legendary pokemon, I have Poipole PTSD)

6.Love your game : )

p/s: Im not very proud of my english skill so im sorry if the are errors in my questions 

1. My memory is a little fuzzy on this since it was a while back, but when you fight Aelita on what I believe was Terajuma Island how are her Pokemon so high leveled despite only having 1-2 badges at that time?

2. Is there a way to switch to the legacy sprites without manually swapping files in v11/v12? I've tried loading older versions but I only get errors.

3. Not a question but this is my favorite Pokemon fangame (Maybe even favorite Pokemon game in general) so I want to say thank you for working so hard on it!

4 minutes ago, Leon_Genesis said:

1. My memory is a little fuzzy on this since it was a while back, but when you fight Aelita on what I believe was Terajuma Island how are her Pokemon so high leveled despite only having 1-2 badges at that time?

2. Is there a way to switch to the legacy sprites without manually swapping files in v11/v12? I've tried loading older versions but I only get errors.

3. Not a question but this is my favorite Pokemon fangame (Maybe even favorite Pokemon game in general) so I want to say thank you for working so hard on it!

In Axis High University,there is a NPC that switches your Character in the others non-selected,and it demands you if you want the original version.

4 minutes ago, Fredzard said:

In Axis High University,there is a NPC that switches your Character in the others non-selected,and it demands you if you want the original version.

Is there a way to do it at the beginning?