V13 Discussion Thread

Jan

On 6/19/2020 at 10:15 PM, MhicKy said:

Jokes aside, I really hope nothing like that ever happen.. I would, for real, cry.. Not joking, if this game gets cancelled I am going into deep depression..

Both games have cheered me up during difficult times, if they get cancelled, I don't see why I wouldn't throw myself off my house

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Deepflare12 said:

Like Magus 543 said, I would also love for Hop's theme to be played in a friendly fight with Melia, and Bede's theme for Lorna. 

Nice to see the trainer card has changed. or did I see a fake screenshot?

marnie's theme when?

Hm. Will there be a way for players to gain any missing cells that they might have missed in East Gearen before the renovation? Furthermore, will there eventually be a late-game item that reveals the locations of missed Zygarde cells? Because I would imagine that it would get infuriating when someone ends up getting all but 1-2 cells and has to scour everywhere for the ones that were missed.

• Veterans
17 hours ago, Anstane said:

Hm. Will there be a way for players to gain any missing cells that they might have missed in East Gearen before the renovation? Furthermore, will there eventually be a late-game item that reveals the locations of missed Zygarde cells? Because I would imagine that it would get infuriating when someone ends up getting all but 1-2 cells and has to scour everywhere for the ones that were missed.

You don't have to worry about missing a couple of cells considering there's more than 100 cells you can find. You only need 100 for the complete form of Zygarde, though not all cores necessary to form it are available right now (there's only one that allows for Zygarde 10%), and likely won't be until postgame.

1 hour ago, bruhtonium said:

Will zumi's art replace the vs-sprites

Well it was shown in the V13 development a screenshot showing Zumi's art on the vs-sprite so I assume any important NPC will have one eventually 

3 hours ago, Zumi said:

You don't have to worry about missing a couple of cells considering there's more than 100 cells you can find. You only need 100 for the complete form of Zygarde, though not all cores necessary to form it are available right now (there's only one that allows for Zygarde 10%), and likely won't be until postgame.

I understand now. You didn't tell us abut Zygarde Cores until now. Zygarde in 10% form is like the other pokemons (including Phione) and his total base stat it's lower than final form pseudos. That's why that Zygarde Core was available only for 10% form of Zygarde.

26 minutes ago, Melons said:

Will gigantamax pokemon be in the game as custom megas? If so, will they be required to hold a mega stone?

You should check the FAQ before asking since this question was already asked many of time..

But answering it, yes, they are custom megas (and I think that's what GF should had done instead of inventing this new mechanic)

Edited by MhicKy

1 hour ago, Melons said:

Sorry about that, but the main thing I wanted to know is if they have to hold a mega stone, which i don't think anybody has asked already.

well, how else are you gonna mega evolve them? At most, the item could look or be named differently from usual mega stones, but it would still function in the same way (seems unnecessary though)

42 minutes ago, Melons said:

I thought it coul maybe be an item like the max soup in the sw/sh dlc, because normally gigantamaxes can hold items. That probably won't be the case though. 

Way too complicated. It's better if they just Mega Evolve as any normal Pokemon. Why should you implement any whacky mechanic when you can just use an effective mechanic that ALREADY is in the game (and it does the exact same thing)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melons said:

Fair enough. I just thought it would be cool if you coul have a G-Max holding a life orb or something. It would be too complicated though. 

Well, hate to say it but when it comes to Gigantamax being mega customs, they are like Mega Evolutions so it will be impossible also for Gigantamaxed Pokemon to hold an item. If there was only way to use mega evolution without Mega Stones just like using Rayquaza for an example.

Edited by RoyChaos

Out of curiosity, will there be a way to get Magikarp at some point in the game? I know Jan said he doesn't like Magikarp, and I don't want to be a bother, but it's just been bothering me that there hasn't really been a straight answer to the question.

1 hour ago, Draconis said:

Out of curiosity, will there be a way to get Magikarp at some point in the game? I know Jan said he doesn't like Magikarp, and I don't want to be a bother, but it's just been bothering me that there hasn't really been a straight answer to the question.

I -thing- the devs pretend to allow the player to capture ALL pokemons eventually, the reason why Magikarp wasn't added yet to the holster of capturable pokemon is a mix of, as you said, Jan not liking it and the fact that Gyarados are quite OP so I think that allowing the player to get one too early would make things too easy.

47 minutes ago, MhicKy said:

I -thing- the devs pretend to allow the player to capture ALL pokemons eventually, the reason why Magikarp wasn't added yet to the holster of capturable pokemon is a mix of, as you said, Jan not liking it and the fact that Gyarados are quite OP so I think that allowing the player to get one too early would make things too easy.

laughs in fletchling

If you really want to use a Pokemon neither able to be caught now nor caught in the next update, then you always can just make use of debug.

On the subject of Gyarados:

Early game until Venom?  Level cap is conveniently level 20 and it could sweep essentially anything in your way.  But if you actually have level 20 Pokemon at this point this means little as Venom is easy even on the hardest difficulty with Pokemon on that level.

From after Venom to Keta (as in when you finally actually get the badge)?  This is probably the most notable time where it'd be truly a problem for balance in the game.  Does well against both Keta fights, does well in both dungeons you run through, and would also be your go to in dealing with Shadow Mewtwo.

From after Keta to Marianette? Aside from being one of your strongest Pokemon at this point, I wouldn't say it's that notable besides that.  At this point your starter is getting close to getting to its final evolution, but it'll take a bit more time past that before they can become your ace, due to reasons I'll state later.

From Marianette to Narcissa? At this point Gyarados could quite easily get Dragon Dance by utilizing the rare candy trick.  This would allow it to have Moxie, Dragon Dance, Waterfall, and Crunch at the time.  The main thing to take into account here would be that it could setup and then try and make use of Moxie to garner the boosts it needs to snowball to victory.  At this stage you could also do similar to get yourself a Blaziken and Greninja with Speed Boost and Protean respectively, which in the long term will come to outstrip Gyarados later, but will still lag behind due to the perks it gets around this time.

From Narcissa to Valarie?  This is largely a story segment, but it's about the same as it was with the last segment overall.

From Valarie to Crawli?  This is where it actually starts to balance out with the rest of your team and your starters...up until the gym leader where he gives himself indefinite rain, which just helps Gyarados sweep him.

From Crawli to Angie?  Don't believe Gyarados is going to break this segment to be honest.  It'd be strong, but it isn't going to break the balance at this point.

From Angie to Amber and onward?  I think it no longer would be overpowered and it'd just continue to level off as you'd continue getting through the game.  It's not going to be tearing down everything in its path, but will be a good option that the player could be allowed to use.  It's most definitely isn't going to trivialize the Geara and Zetta fight, where Melia is essentially throwing the fight the whole time.

At this point I'd see it as simply a good team member that is beginning to get outstripped by your starter and possibly leveling out with the rest of your potential party members.  Speed Boost Blaziken and Protean Greninja are the obvious starters that beat it in potential, but even Serperior eventually starts to do so when Contrary comes into play with Leaf Storm or Typhlosion gains access to Eruption.  Libero Cinderace and Grassy Surge Rillaboom also will be notable in this regard with the later even posing a whole problem to terrains due to how Grassy Surge sets up Grassy Terrain so easily.  The game really isn't balanced around the player simply being able to say "no" to the whole terrain system in play.  So in the long term, as well as short term for Rillaboom, these Pokemon are much more a stress on balance than Gyarados is, as the later is able to simply be added to be available when its main perks are more mellowed out, which, in this case, I'd argue would be after defeating Angie.

So I don't really see a large problem with having it being gotten around that segment.  The fact we have starter Pokemon that make a larger difference long term than Gyarados in itself hurts any argument to me about it's short term problem (that can easily be bypassed with my suggestion.)  There are also many other later segments in which it could be fit in so that it could be obtainable.  Unless you honestly want to tell me that base Gyarados would be considered too powerful in the current part of the game we're at, which would be a flat out lie.  Not liking it doesn't really matter unless you want to advertise the game as, "All Pokemon can be obtained aside from Magikarp and Gyarados!"  It doesn't necessarily need to show up as soon as it would no longer be considered overpowering, but the excuses of it being too strong, when it wouldn't be after a certain point, or not being liked aren't good reasons to withhold it.  I don't expect it to be changed, mind you, just felt compelled enough to give how I feel on this subject considering I saw it come up.

Edited by Myrrh
Gave more time to my post by properly analyzing Gyarados, potential starters, and the content with regard to one another rather than a quick overview as originally performed.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

laughs in fletchling

Fletchling used to be OP ~before~ the Gale Wings nerf
He's still good and very much usable but just not OP, previous Talonflames could just EV train HP and Atk since the Ability allowed priority anyways so you had a quite bulky and powerful pokemon that would always attack first, specially cuz he can learn Roost too.. Now it's more balance tho', I gotta say, RIP Gale Wings, you were good son, real good, maybe even the best..

• Developers
10 hours ago, Draconis said:

All Pokemon will be obtained at some point. 

2 hours ago, Myrrh said:

(Shortened for thread convenience.)

So I don't really see a large problem with having it being gotten around that segment.  The fact we have starter Pokemon that make a larger difference long term than Gyarados in itself hurts any argument to me about it's short term problem (that can easily be bypassed with my suggestion.)  There are also many other later segments in which it could be fit in so that it could be obtainable.  Unless you honestly want to tell me that base Gyarados would be considered too powerful in the current part of the game we're at, which would be a flat out lie.  Not liking it doesn't really matter unless you want to advertise the game as, "All Pokemon can be obtained aside from Magikarp and Gyarados!"  It doesn't necessarily need to show up as soon as it would no longer be considered overpowering, but the excuses of it being too strong, when it wouldn't be after a certain point, or not being liked aren't good reasons to withhold it.  I don't expect it to be changed, mind you, just felt compelled enough to give how I feel on this subject considering I saw it come up.

you press dragon dance once and win any battle in this game.

Either way I've stated multiple times (It's even on the download page) that all Pokemon will eventually be able to be caught. After all the Pokemon that are available now and with still a handful of versions left... It'd be really weird if I just left out some Pokemon just cause?? I don't really get that conclusion, but i digress.

22 minutes ago, Jan said:

you press dragon dance once and win any battle in this game.

I mentioned that in my post as well.  That alone isn't going to break every single fight in the game on its own.  Especially considering you have double battles as well within the game so one sweeper isn't going to matter on its own there.  There are plenty of bosses where this wouldn't even ring true either, which would include the Geara + Zetta fight I also mentioned within the post.  (Not even getting into Dimensional Rift Pokemon that exist...)  Having it right away as well as the different progressions I myself laid out would serve as a problem, but simply barring it entirely even though we're at a point it wouldn't break the game is just avoiding it for no good reason at that point.  I'm also not saying you "won't add the Pokemon", that was in direct response to what was stated by other posters in this topic with regard to the excuse of "not liking it." where that'd only matter if it wasn't going to be in at all.  Hence:

3 hours ago, Myrrh said:

Not liking it doesn't really matter unless you want to advertise the game as, "All Pokemon can be obtained aside from Magikarp and Gyarados!"

My post was simply a response to the topic being raised as well as the "reasons" that I was lead to believe were why it's currently excluded.  So I stated the earliest time it could have properly came into the game without being overpowered and even mentioned, again, in my post how it also could have came at any later time as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jan said:

All Pokemon will be obtained at some point.

What happens if we obtain all non-legendary pokemons with Zygarde, Phione and Type:Null evolution lines? Maybe there must be a reward for that or it's just for nothing.

Edited by RoyChaos