TyranitarTube's Pokemon Reborn Playthrough

nepeta100

1 hour ago, DreamblitzX said:

I think generally when you hear stuff like "I hate this" or "I don't want to do this anymore" it's an in-the-moment emotional statement rather than actual overall opinion, but I am a little worried about a sort of slow buildup of fatigue that nuzlockeing reborn on video seems to create (mostly from grinding and losing pokemon)

I concur. I don't know how he's managed it thus far.

While most such negative comments are generally in-the-moment, considering from personal experience how stressful the boss battles in this game are even when NOT nuzlocking, this could be more serious. 

I vaguely considered quitting after losing to Shelly at least 4 times but the story is so well developed and compelling that proceeding to get it from a third-party source wasn't gonna cut it for me.  
For Ttar, however, particularly since losing Tiki, it seems to be just the viewers that keep him going. 

In fact, some of his choices in this game such as the stat war with Hitmonlee in this last episode, are so blatantly stupid that I'm suddenly wondering if he does stuff like that intentionally for entertainment or dramatization. 
That's the thing, in his case he's obligated to not only figure out what works but what's entertaining since he's playing for an audience. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

wow i expected more of a trainwreck this episode but dude's got the devil's luck with those sleep turns; would love to see how far he can take this(not counting for the impending garchomp). on a sidenote, can someone tell him to equip odd and wave incense on jynx and ludicolo? also ability capsule his growlithe to intimidate, his team doesn't look too to bad and he knows what he's doing for the most part, but can't help but think he's taking a lot of stupid and avoidable risks he otherwise doesn't need to. also aster+eclipse is going to push his shit in since his team is very rock weak and they spam rock slide, so probably should tell him he's going to be ambushed by a pretty tough doubles battle, which will be trouble for him if he's not prepared for it.

While there are still a few obstacles to be dealt with between now and then (Aster/Eclipse and Taka, which can be on the challenging side if unprepared), I'm looking forward to that Garchomp battle as well - it's one of my favorite things to see people react to when they're playing the game blind.  But, while I still hold some hope that maybe nobody has spoiled it for him yet, the people in the comments section really seem to love to blab about it.  If he got spoiled on the Victoria fight this time, it seems almost impossible that he didn't see comments talking about the Solaris fight.  Which would really suck, but oh well - that's comments sections for ya.

At any rate, the Garchomp fight will probably go one of two ways - he could either cancel the Nuzlocke right then and there (which, in all honesty, would probably just be because he isn't enjoying it much anymore anyway) or he'll make a clause and keep pushing.  I kinda hope it's the latter, since I really want to see how he fares against Aya (it's between her, Shelly, and Titania as fights that gave me the roughest time my first time playing), but we'll see how things unfold from here.  While he makes his share of questionable decisions at times, I still hope that he has fun with the game, and I hope that he continues with it once the Nuzlocke ends, whenever that may be.

Edited by Minus

I knew he loved Belly. And he knew it too, even if he didn't know it. Yes.

I know this has been said before, but now that's he's lost his main reason for why he's made it this far into the nuzlocke, I'd like to see how he does. :3

Also, just putting this here

Victoria: It's for the kids, right?

Ttar: We ain't having kids

3 hours ago, Minus said:

he could either cancel the Nuzlocke right then and there (which, in all honesty, would probably just be because he isn't enjoying it much anymore anyway)

Agreed, if he quits the Nuzlocke, it's gonna be on his own terms, when he reaches his limit because the viewers have been advising him to since the beginning so he should know that no one would judge him, which on some level I have to respect even though this is positive peer pressure. 

I must wonder as well if he continues the Nuzlocke, how much farther he'll be able to get with just one of his three pillars left (Kiki). 
I'm in the same place he is so I know little of what's to come but I do know there is a Solaris battle upcoming and if he's a dragon user as I suspect, Ttar might be in serious trouble. 

UPDATE: 
Oh shit. I just read the 411 on the first Solaris battle. It's an impossible battle that you're expected to lose but knowing Ttar he's not gonna get that right away and freak. 
Anyone who's watched his other series knows what I'm talking about. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos
  • Like 1

tbh I'm pretty impressed with how he's been doing so far so maybe he'll continue the nuzlocke. I think he's still enjoying the story aspect of Reborn, if not the hard-mode battles. I think he's going to continue the locke until he legitimately loses (I think Solaris fight shouldn't count under the BS clause, since it was supposed to be an impossible fight that people managed to cheese out with very specific strats). I'll support him whatever he chooses, since I'd like him to enjoy the game how he wants- whether that is by beating the Nuzlocke as he likes to do, or by canceling the Nuzlocke to focus on story and theories.

• Like 6

And with this the Belly button (Tiki button 2.0) is no more as well.....

Sooo.....who will be the next panic button?

I was amused when he fought Kiki. Although he did anticipate the Hitmonlee Fake Out Normal Gem Unburden as soon as he saw it, he was like "Nah, won't happen...."

So, aside from all the Mons he threw out as death fodder we are now counting 2 major losses for his team.

But after struggling this much with Kiki, his fight vs Aya might be an interesting one, especially since that one is a double battle again.

I have been trying to find an instance where we see dishsoaps IVs or recent stats, just because i kinda wanted to see if the iron head might have been a range to kill... couldn't find any... oh well 🤷‍♂️
For the future we will get to see azurine Aster&Eclipse, and Taka... i have been notably bad with predicting how these things might go, and he will probably train up atleast 1 new mon maybe 2. so we will see i guess. but Aya certainly promises to be interesting (if he doesn't quit the lock after the mere sight of Solaris' chomp after repeatedly expressing that he might not want to nuzlock this anymore, which could be just in the moment stuff, i wouldn't know i misinterpret people all the time)

Another thing for the pile of AI wierdness that i forgot, is why did toxicroak not try for sucker punch (not even against karen, it was asleep but karen went first so it choose a different move) and yes it does have sucker punch.

50 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

And with this the Belly button (Tiki button 2.0) is no more as well.....

I'm pretty sure TTar still has his Bellybutton... I will show myself out...

Edited by Falirion

Yeah, the AI has made a lot of weird choices during TTars Reborn nuzlocke already, an i would not be surprised if it stays that way....

As for his statements that he doesn't want to nuzlocke this any more....i don't think he'll quit the nuzlocke, unless he really gets destroyed big time. He's been saying that he should stop nuzlocking Reborn since episode 2, if i remember correctly.......it was literally the title of that episode that he shouldn't have nuzlocked this game XD

And yet he's still nuzlocking it, and he made it past Kiki, even though in the beginning everyone predicted that he wouldn't even make it up to her. Most people said he would get to Shelly or Shade at best.

Ah well, we'll see if he can get past Aster and Eclipse. He might be fine if he plays his Mightyena right, but he may also lose one or two Mons here....Especially the Lycanrocs can be tough for half of his team.

Well Ttar will continue this nuzlocke. He just says he will quit because that's how he is. So don't worry about that. 

Im impressed how he got past Kiki. Well my predictions were almost always wrong now but I dare say that Noel will be the next big challenge for him especially after throwing his only normal immunity... Noel could even finish him off haha. Before Noel nothing really is threatening tbh. Aya is medium at best and Sierra is a pushover. Well, if he trains up new pokemon of course. Imagine him continuing with 4 pokemon lol

26 minutes ago, GreatNinja said:

Before Noel nothing really is threatening tbh. Aya is medium at best and Sierra is a pushover. Well, if he trains up new pokemon of course. Imagine him continuing with 4 pokemon lol 

I wouldn't actually underrestimate Serra in a blind nuzlock of all things tbh, especially with TTars propensity to only skim the field notes at best. The Haxqueen can and will hax her way to victory if you are not prepared for the BS that is mirror arena (or have a way to remove it). In fact if it gets to that fight i absolutely expect outrage at the evasion and the above usual amount of crits, as he might not know the field does that.

then again the comments will yell at him about it. once the run goes anywhere near there, won't they?...

Edited by Falirion

If he is completely blind then yes. But all it takes go beat Sierra is slapping Nature Power on XY and pushing it 6 times then it's done xD So he just need to read the field effect.. Shouldn't be so hard. I think after this many challenges he will pay more attention. 

So, where to start... This episode was actually more surprising than expected, both by TTAR's strategy with death fodders (Since he already had several decent mons able to take Kiki's Pokemon hits, if not able to deal with them. And I'm not talking about this lucky Ludicolo he sent out against Victoria's Incineroar) and most importantly, by how he fought against Victoria and how he won this battle in particular. Because without any lemonade on him, for once, he was forced to draw a line on this repetitive Stockpile spamming he got us used to. And this is a major twist in this nuzlocke, because as opposed to Feather Dance and Sand Attack that decrease the stats of the enemy, Stockpile boosts the defensive stats of the user, which means he can't totally rely on these two moves. By doing so, he would waste too much time before his foes possibly return to the opposite trainer, which would make TTAR's setups too tricky and uncertain. Now that Belly is gone, a new plan for future battle should be elaborate. For my part, I could even understand why people on the forum don't like his playstyle: simply because (almost) none of TTAR's strategies are valid competitively. Having noticed that he tended to be too dependent on healings (Which somehow is understandable, since we're watching a Nuzlocke), the originality of his strategies is pretty limited, and even more since he lost quite a bunch of death fodders. But honestly, beside it, I really enjoyed the video, because he managed to be surprising in many ways, and I'm probably not the only one to think so. As long as the stress for battles doesn't take priority too much over the enjoyment of the storyline, he will have my support. That being said, if I had to mention one specific thing that really pissed me of during this episode would rather be the part when he sent Ludicolo to the PC after noticing how bad his moveset was. And despite it, he still kept Kiki in his team. Mightyena being a Dark Type Pokemon, this caught my curiosity... but sadly, it did in a wrong way. After that, I came to the following conclusion: TTAR is too restrictive in his way to build a team. But all in all, this might probably be explained by the fact that he still has a lot of time to spend on other projects, and since I noticed he never trained Pokemon between each episode, this must certainly be pretty tiresome for him during recordings. So, beyond my hope of seeing TTAR be successful, I hope he won't be disgusted by the game more than that just because of the nuzlocke mode.

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods

1 hour ago, Q-Jei said:

TTAR is too restrictive in his way to build a team. But all in all, this might probably be explained by the fact that he still has a lot of time to spend on other projects, and since I noticed he never trained Pokemon between each episode, this must certainly be pretty tiresome for him during recordings. So, beyond my hope of seeing TTAR be successful, I hope he won't be disgusted by the game more than that just because of the nuzlocke mode. 

I think a pretty big part of it is also the fact that it's a youtube series. The audience will get very attached to team members, especially when there's fanart, and that makes it hard to box them and switch the team around a lot when the focus is making the viewers like the series, if that makes sense? Then again, maybe that's just projecting and he hasn't even thought of that haha

37 minutes ago, DreamblitzX said:

I think a pretty big part of it is also the fact that it's a youtube series. The audience will get very attached to team members, especially when there's fanart, and that makes it hard to box them and switch the team around a lot when the focus is making the viewers like the series, if that makes sense? Then again, maybe that's just projecting and he hasn't even thought of that haha

Even if the audience gets attached to certain team members and draws fan art, there should still be room for switching out your Mons to make sure you keep them alive. Especially since this is a youtube series. His viewers want him to get as far as possible, so of course they wouldn't want for any of the team members to suffer an unnecessary death if the player clearly had better options available.

That being said i am really not happy about the fact that he discards some potentially very strong Pokémon as death fodder. His Spearow and his Woobat could have prevented losing Blaziken and Swalot, yet he threw them away just like that. Of course, since he's playing blind, he can't know what the major battles will have in store for him, therefor he can't know which Pokémon are potentially very strong against those fights. But BECAUSE he's doing a blind nuzlocke he should try to make use of whatever he's able to get.

I haven't watched his videos in their entirety (I generally just skip to boss fights), but I don't think he's playing poorly for someone coming in doing a blind nuzlocke. In fact, I think he's doing pretty well considering the team he has. How many people beat all these fights on their first attempt in their first playthrough of the game without Nuzlocke rules forcing crap like Pidgeot onto their team? I sure didn't.

Anyway, his pokemon are pretty limited in flexibility, and it's not great for the viewer experience that his best 'mon he has after losing his starter is something that leads to these stalled out situations where he just spams Lemonades while it slowly kills things. But he does use his other strong members when they can contribute (such as Kiki vs. Shade or ZEL)

I do agree with the sentiment that he should just play through the game normally, he seems to enjoy it a lot outside of bosses, where he seems genuinely stressed because of the stakes involved in a Nuzlocke. Also it'd lead less to "oh shit, I can't afford to lose anyone so I am gonna spam potions on my tankiest pokemon until it chips down the enemy"

• Upvote 4

I can agree on that for the most part. Sure, using a tanky Pokémon to stall out a difficult fight, slowly chipping away the opponents HP while spamming healing items IS a valid strategy, but that's about all he does since he lost Blaziken to Shelly. It get's boring to watch over time. If he had more flexibility by training just a few more Pokémon he could make fights more interesting to watch.

On the other hand thogh, losing Blaziken was a wake-up call he needed, since he kept overusing Blaziken and Mightyena up to Shelly, leading to 2 strong Pokémon on his team, while the other 4 were weak and not able to fight in gym battles. And while he did change his playstyle and started to train his whole team a little more after that, he was pretty fast to go into overusing Swalot as his new solution for everything.

Now that he lost Swalot he got a second wake-up call and i'm curious to see what kind of change this will trigger in his playstyle. After losing his strongest attacker to Shelly and his strongest wall to Kiki he now needs to come up with something new.....or just pick another Mon to overuse until that one goes down as well XD

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Q-Jei said:

For my part, I could even understand why people on the forum don't like his playstyle: simply because (almost) none of TTAR's strategies are valid competitively. 

But honestly, beside it, I really enjoyed the video, because he managed to be surprising in many ways, and I'm probably not the only one to think so. As long as the stress for battles doesn't take priority too much over the enjoyment of the storyline, he will have my support.

But all in all, this might probably be explained by the fact that he still has a lot of time to spend on other projects, and since I noticed he never trained Pokemon between each episode, this must certainly be pretty tiresome for him during recordings.

To be honest, I don't care what his playstyle is, I watch his videos mostly because his reactions and poker face are hilarious 😹 

But currently, his playstyle is fine in my eyes. with exception to the usual ignoring of certain events I believe he said he'd continue with the nuzlocke till the point he loses it by whiting out, and that seems to be the logical thing to do. He has my support as well~

Methinks it's tiresome for him because he doesn't know that there are trainer he can battle at the Grand Hall. People in the comments mentioned it, but I still don't think he realized?

• Upvote 1

• Veterans

I'd also like to point out that if he wants to keep his team safe, his best grinding options are to grind on wild Pokemon that are like 10+ levels under him. The Grand Hall trainers all come with an exponentially higher risk of killing off members so he's best off grinding on wild Pokemon to not risk losing anything, and trust me that's bloody TEDIOUS. So yeah, it makes absolute sense that he doesn't grind much, it's just not very enjoyable and he hasn't really been in need of it as long as Belly has been around just soloing fights.

• Upvote 4