The Last, Only, and Very Final X% Hype Thread

Amethyst

23 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

And now people are getting curious....

Well.....if they feel like telling us one day, they will do so.

Until that time comes let's just hope for the best.

Like i said a few days ago, nobody will judge you if you need some time off right now.

I've been around here long enough I can honestly say if Ame needed to take time off of Reborn she will and she has (ie the infamous Episode 16). I trust her judgement so I don't really sweat when stuff like this comes up.

I feel like I said this before already. Huh, Deju vu.

18 hours ago, Commander said:

I've been around here long enough I can honestly say if Ame needed to take time off of Reborn she will and she has (ie the infamous Episode 16). I trust her judgement so I don't really sweat when stuff like this comes up.

Infamous?

It was a  v e r y  long wait before EP16 was finished, like similar to this one. But I think it's okay, if she needs time for herself she can just have it, as she's doing the game just because she wants it.

17 hours ago, kithas said:

It was a  v e r y  long wait before EP16 was finished, like similar to this one. But I think it's okay, if she needs time for herself she can just have it, as she's doing the game just because she wants it.

Out of curiosity, how long was it?

Hi I'm new here, so I don't know if this is the proper place for this or not. Can I talk about my speculation for Saphira's team here? Or do I start a new thread? I'd appreciate some guidance 😄

I also have some speculations about Heather's field.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

14 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Hi I'm new here, so I don't know if this is the proper place for this or not. Can I talk about my speculation for Saphira's team here? Or do I start a new thread? I'd appreciate some guidance 😄

I also have some speculations about Heather's field.

I think Saphira will use dragons.

• Hmm 1

It's already established that Saphira's gonna use dragons. I wanna talk about my thoughts for her team members. Dragonite is one.

Assuming the battle is on the Dragon's Den field, Ice type attacks are reduced by half, so they effectively only hit Dragon mons with neutral damage. That would prompt people to switch to Fairy or go straight up Dragon vs Dragon. And since this is Reborn, I dont think you can just casually walk in with some Fairy pokemons, hoping to put out some damage. I suspect there will be ways to 1/ resist Fairy type attacks 2/ beat Fairy type pokemons. And given that there should be a Pokemon with a mega evolution, I think Mega Charizard X is gonna be a member.

The next potential member is a Choice Scarf Haxorus with a moveset like that of the one in the Emerald Cave. When I fought the pair to take the Axew egg, I brought my Togekiss, and the Haxorus just casually KO it with a Poison Jab.

Another member can be Dragalge or Naganadel. Same reason. Poison type to neutralize Fairy type attacks and beat Fairy pokemons.

And a Choice Specs Noivern that spams Air Slash.

Turtonator can be another one. This one is lame, but its moves are boosted by the field, and it has a powerful but gimmicky Shell Trap.

I went through the list of all Dragon pokemons in the games and ruled out the appearances of the following mons:

- Mega Ampharos: Needs Mega slot. Also lame and slow.

- Mega Sceptile: Also needs a mega slot. And has 6 weaknesses. Mega Charizard X just simply performs better.

- Mega Altaria: So lame.

- Alolan Exeggutor: Slow, has shallow movepools, has 6 weaknesses.

- Salamence, Hydreigon, Garchomp: Signature pokemons of other people. Maybe one of those will appear, but not more.

- Flygon: It's basically Garchomp-lite. If there's a spot for a Dragon Ground pokemon then it should go to Garchomp.

- Kommo-o: It has a 4x weakness to Fairy, and it's slow. 

- Drampa: A counterpart to Turtonator that doesnt benefit from the field as much as Turtonator.

- Tyrantrum: It has a similar stat spread to Dragonite's, but worse. Tyrantrum's stat are 82/121/119/69/59/71. Dragonite's stats are 91/134/95/100/100/80. Since there's already a Dragonite, Tyrantrum has no whatsoever reason to be in the team.

- Kingdra: This one is also a debatable case. Since Dragon Dance boost is doubled, I think one of her pokemons would use it to sweep. Kingdra has access to this move, has some bulk to not be OHKO-ed, and has fewest resistances among all the Dragons. The problem is that its physical movepool is shallow. Its only feasible physical moves are Outrage, Waterfall, Bounce, Iron Head, Return/Frustration/Giga Impact. Waterfall's power is weakened in the field, so err maybe a set of Dragon Dance, Outrage, Iron Head, Return/Giga Impact? But that feels kinda lame. On the special side, two of its usual moves, namely Surf and Ice Beam, also get weakened. So I dont really know about this one.

So to wrap up, I think Saphira's team's gonna have: Dragonite, Mega Charizard X, Haxorus, Dragalge, Noivern, and errr maybe Turtonator. Or maybe Kingdra. Or Garchomp. The team needs some Pokemon with good speed.

Maybe the dev team will surprise us and sneak a gen 8 Dragon in here, like Dragapult or Drudigon. But that's just wishful thinking. I know this scenario's impossible.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Draconis said:

Out of curiosity, how long was it?

it was about a year and a half for E16 (from ciel to adrienn). rebuilding the entire city + lake area was a lot. i always knew 16 would take forever, and i always knew 19 would be even longer. and here we are.
related: i hate it.

1 hour ago, nguyengiangoc said:

long Saphira post

At least one Scarf user is practically guaranteed, as Naganadel would outspeed any other possible Dragon besides Noivern (as long as it's above level 94) and uh, Mega Sceptile lol. Garchomp would be the best user of this, since it also covers Steel types that don't mind a Fire attack (Empoleon, Aggron, Bronzong etc), and has moves to abuse the Cave field; however, Garchomp is already the ace of two major trainers, so it's more likely we'll see Flygon or Kommo-o.

Mega Charizard X would make sense as the mega given the Dragon's Den field boosts, the neutrality to Fairy attacks and Charizard's resemblance to a dragon even in its base form.

Noivern seems likely as not only does it outspeed Naganadel and, so long as it's level 97 or higher, Weavile, but it also works in the Cave field (one Hydro Vortex away) with Boomburst. That being said, Ciel has one of these already, so we'll see.

Dragonite is already confirmed and is more than likely her ace. You can bet your ass it's running Roost and there's a decent chance it's running Dragon Dance too, so that leaves Dragon STAB and the obvious Fire coverage. It's not impossible that we see Earthquake or something, I just don't think it's all that likely.

Apart from this, it's a matter of coverage and field abuse. Dragalge covers fairies, but its Hydro Pump is weakened in the Dragon's Den. Turtonator shares a typing with Charizard X and is slow, relatively weak, and specially frail. Goodra... just doesn't seem like something Saphira would use. Kingdra, same problem as Dragalge but without the benefits. So who else can get in?

- Tyrantrum is a great Dragon Dance user and abuses both Dragon's Den and Cave fields to their fullest extent with Strong Jaw + Fire Fang, Head Smash/Stone Edge/Rock Slide, and Dragon Claw/Outrage.

- Salamence is set apart from Dragonite with higher speed and sweeping potential, but doesn't abuse the field nearly as well. I'd mostly expect to see this one if we get bamboozled and Charizard actually isn't the mega.

- Hydreigon is the single hardest-hitting 'mon Saphira could possibly use besides based Drampa, though I don't think this is likely to appear as it's Lin's ace and the two of them aren't exactly best buds.

- Haxorus might make an appearance as the least noteworthy 'mon on her team. Hits hard, at least.

- Whichever of Flygon and Kommo-o didn't get the Scarf slot.

Let's keep in mind too - not all her 'mons need to have a direct counterplay to Fairy types, and it's okay (and probably a good thing, from a game design standpoint) for some to be very vulnerable to them. Most good Fairy types are under base 80 speed, and of those that aren't, which ones hard enough to OHKO bulky Dragons? Don't say Ribombee. Not to mention, Saphira has the level advantage too. I'd be more worried about covering field changes (while still retaining the ability to abuse Dragon's Den), which would mean dealing with Rock and Ice types. I'd be super disappointed if Saphira didn't have any Rock counters because it would be far, far too easy to Hydro Vortex and let monsters like Rhyperior, Aggron, and especially Minior go to work.

That's just my take on it, anyway. I wasn't considering themes super hard (come on, Ciel had a hunk of rock and a ball of fluff as two of her most threatening 'mons) but didn't want to ignore them outright. A different take might try to craft the perfect battle team, or carefully consider which 'mons make sense given Saphira's character and ties to other characters, or try to cover as many field effects as possible. I'm sure we'll all be wrong anyway, but that's the beauty of it, isn't it?

5 hours ago, Seel The Deal said:

Tyrantrum is a great Dragon Dance user and abuses both Dragon's Den and Cave fields to their fullest extent with Strong Jaw + Fire Fang, Head Smash/Stone Edge/Rock Slide, and Dragon Claw/Outrage

I dont think highly of Tyrantrum as it's outclassed by Dragonite in all ways. It's slow, and has many weaknesses that can be exploited with priority moves. This is Saphira, supposedly the highest-ranked gym leader, so I don't expect her to have sth I can OHKO with a Mach Punch from a Fist Plate/Choice Band Iron Fist Conkeldurr.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

2 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I dont think highly of Tyrantrum as it's outclassed by Dragonite in all ways. It's slow, and has many weaknesses that can be exploited with priority moves. This is Saphira, supposedly the highest-ranked gym leader, so I don't expect her to have sth I can OHKO with a Mach Punch from a Fist Plate/Choice Band Iron Fist Conkeldurr.

If there is ONE thing that a lot of people learned from Reborn the hard way, it's the fact that EVERY Pokémon does have some way to be used efficiently. You would be surprised how many Pokémon that are usually considered "weak" have not only proven to be a game changer in Reborn, but also managed to become the ace of their players team. Until one gets access to all of those really powerful Mons that is.

Obviously expect her Dragonite, but also a Mega Charizard. Lore wise, it would make sense that she would use something from her mom, since i think you can get Charizard´s mega stone in the secret room in Calcenon Gym. Tyrantrum is also a really good choice, as someone said above, it has monstous attack, and can take advantage of both the cave and the dragon´s den fields. Haxorus, Kommo-o and even Druddigon are plausible choices, but Noivern seems nice for her team, too

9 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

That's not really a great way to think about it? It's like saying Amaria's Mega Swampert isn't a threat because you can bring Shedinja. More relevantly, it's like saying Dragonite isn't a threat because you can use Destiny Bond and be done with it. If Conkeldurr ends up being Saphira's bane then so be it. SOMETHING is gonna be good against her, otherwise it wouldn't be a good battle, right?

And Tyrantrum does have things going for it. It has more open moveslots, a different typing that better abuses the fields offensively, and hits MUCH harder thanks to Head Smash and having room to run Outrage (and, potentially, Choice Band).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seel The Deal said:

That's not really a great way to think about it? It's like saying Amaria's Mega Swampert isn't a threat because you can bring Shedinja. More relevantly, it's like saying Dragonite isn't a threat because you can use Destiny Bond and be done with it. If Conkeldurr ends up being Saphira's bane then so be it. SOMETHING is gonna be good against her, otherwise it wouldn't be a good battle, right?

And Tyrantrum does have things going for it. It has more open moveslots, a different typing that better abuses the fields offensively, and hits MUCH harder thanks to Head Smash and having room to run Outrage (and, potentially, Choice Band).

I completely agree with this. You have many tools to use at this point, and each one of those counter something, so, by that logic, she wouldn´t have any mon´s whatsoever

16 hours ago, Draconis said:

I feel like she'll rip my head off.

You can ask Lin for that. Saphira's too nice/steeped in revenge to do that.

16 hours ago, Gastronely said:

Mega Altyaria are grerat candidates to counter her team

Haxorus will just casually give it some jabs. 

Overall Im just hoping that her team poses a real and memorable challenges, like got me pulling my hair in frustration and shifting Pokemons around and tweaking movesets. Titania's and Amaria's teams did a really good job at that, even when I already knew what's gonna be in the team. Hardy's team is really underwhelming. Rock type is weak to both Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, and his team members dont really have high defenses. Mega Aerodactyl and Gigalith may be the only ones that can pose a challenge, but they're brought out to early. Arceops did give me a headache though.

Edited by nguyengiangoc