What are your V13 MVPs (and, if applicable, favorite strategies)?

SilentEevee

Honestly, I'm that one weirdo that uses a corrosion Salazzle to cheese fights. As corrosion allows me to bypass steel/poison type immunities to Toxic and helped me out more than you think in the Steel type gym. I mean, also naturally learning Flame Burst and Dragon Pulse is nice for taking advantage of fields. 

Or my love for Contrary Serperior that has some of the most bizarre utility (Crawli's gym, denying sticky webs/barbed web from lowering speed). And is scary on the Bewitched field, I practically swept Florin with field boosted moves and contrary Leaf Storms.

Spoiler

My specific strategy for Saki was to use my Salazzle to poison her steel types (particularly the more annoying ones like Bronzong, Aggron, and Bastiodon) and just try and stall them a bit. The Bronzong was the most annoying out of those three as it LOVED to spam rest, but I was more persistant and just PP stalled it in the end.

Now obvoiusly I didn't do that to her whole team as it just wasn't feasible (Metagross out sped my Salazzle) but Contrary is fun in that battle as it behaves weirdly with Super U.D.M (or whatever the full name is, can't exactly remember) and can be a little fun and help take out a few things. 

I also used a Zygarde and Volcorona to take care of what was either a pain in the ass to Toxic stall or in Volc's case, live exactly one hit from Metagross and possibly take the metagross out in one hit. And Zygarde really only had one job, yeet Bastiodon out of existence after one turn of toxic (b/c just no to sturdy and crest) anything after that was just a nice bonus as Volc could handle the duraladon.

Inteleon comes in very late (post-Adam), but makes up for it by being extremely efficient at killing things. He carried Saki hard for me - oneshotting half her team by himself after Wonder Room removal. 100% Crit Rate Sniper is one hell of a drug.

Aevium Parasect also was a major player, putting a stop to any glass cannon Pokemon (hi Geara's Mega Gengar).

Sandaconda is also surprisingly reliable - between Coil, Dig, Rock Tomb and Glare, she can set up on anything and hit back hard. My Sandaconda took out 2 of Ryland's most terrifying mons by herself - Excadrill and M-Camerupt. She outdid all her competition until I got a Garchomp.

Grumpig's also very useful early game - a lynchpin in the first 3 gyms, and one of the earliest ways to get Magic Coat to completely laugh at Crawli.

Perrserker was a powerhouse earlygame, and her usefulness only really waned at Erick.

Cooperajah is Perrserker's replacement, and boy he does not disappoint - oneshotting Gardevoir from 60% health is no small feat.

Alolan Ninetales came in clutch against Zetta/Geara, and hoo boy she does not stop being useful, even without Aurora Veil access.

Boltund really puts in work against Narcissa, Valerie and Souta - he hits hard and is very fast, though lack of Ice Fang does hurt. He's still the best boy though.

Electrode, Male Meowstic and Pyukumuku are what I'd call the cheese squad, able to cripple and tank many bosses that would be impossible otherwise (hi Rift Gardevoir).

And lastly, my starter, Rillaboom. Kind of weak before Rillaboom, but after evolving, hoo boy the pain train never stops. Wood Hammer hits everything hard, and he has a very varied movepool, with amazing hits like Knock Off and Acrobatics. Drum Beating is a very useful utility, too.

Edit: Forgot Greedent lmao. She's a goddamn monster and is basically diet Snorlax with inbuilt Counter, which is ridiculously good earlygame and still pulls her weight until post-Adam for me. 95 base Attack and 120 base HP before Keta is ludicrously broken imo.

I usually use a debuffing strategy against Rift Mons: Pyukumuku Purifies the field, removing it, then Toxic (If it's slow and bulky or to get rid of Lum Berries in the case of Rift Gardevoir) or Memento (if it's fast and hard-hitting). Electrode Paralyses and decreases the enemies Def and SpA if possible, then set up a screen, then Meowstic come in and decrease the Rift's Atk and SpD and set up screens if Electrode couldn't or the Rift is a mixed attacker. After this, the Rift should be mostly neutered so I can send out my hard hitters to break the shield and kill the Rift.

My endgame mons consisted of Crest Zangoose, Scizor, Mienshao, Jolteon, Crest Typhlosion, Alolan Ninetales, Sylveon, Crest Phione, Stonjourner, Dugtrio, Setup Scolipede, Setup Meowstic, Avien Lapras, Cinccino, Ribombee

Mons i relied most on are probably Cinccino, Alolan Ninetales and Typhlosion

4 hours ago, ValkyrieAS said:

My endgame mons consisted of Crest Zangoose, Scizor, Mienshao, Jolteon, Crest Typhlosion, Alolan Ninetales, Sylveon, Crest Phione, Stonjourner, Dugtrio, Setup Scolipede, Setup Meowstic, Avien Lapras, Cinccino, Ribombee

Mons i relied most on are probably Cinccino, Alolan Ninetales and Typhlosion

:0 did Alolan Ninetales pull its weight even without Aurora Veil?

These are mostly about v12 intense mode

Noivern is great, ever since it evolved it's been a beast supporting the team with tailwind, especially in doubles

Mawile has been incredibly useful with intimidate and that typing. Being able to mega evolve right after you you get the mega ring is also a plus

Raichu. Fake out and lightningrod have been very useful. Also sweepeing Souta with Nasty Plot.

Arcanine is the goodest boi ever, intimidate with will-o-wisp and morning sun and he found a spot in my teams for almost all of the hardest battles

I did a new run on V13

Fletchling - My mvp against madame x

Geodude - Sturdy for madame x

Trevenant - Pretty bulky with great utility early game, once of my curse and destiny bond users

Simipour- My thief mon

Sandaconda - Made my battle with Narcissa a breeze with minimize, good bulk but trash moveset

Perrserker - My money maker but dealt pretty good damage when used and did well on rift Garbordor

Stonejurner - My mvp against Crawli who killed most of his mons, pretty strong and bulky against physical attackers

Shedinja - Carried me on every fight that doesn't have a counter for it

My pick up mons - Zigzagoon,GZigzagon,Meowth,AMeowth,Aipom/Ambimpom money is really scarce whyyyyy

Trade Pangoro/Pancha - A reliable and strong mon who helped me on various battles

Venomoth - My quiver dancer/special attacker and sleeper

Crested Phione - Oh god, this thing is so bulky, carried my amber battle solo and the battle on the Valor mountain, most of the time Phione was the only one alive if there is no heals nearby

Crested or without crest Luxray - Pretty strong and useful with intimidate and great moves, sometimes it is slow

and finally

Cinderace - If noone can outsped it they will receive a lot of damage and very versatile when using Libero with type changes. Poison sweep and low sweep are trash but great early on, changed my quick attack with double edge and hits damn hard, Pyro ball is lit. wish we could get the egg move tutor earlier. 

Alolan-muk clutched a lot of battles for me; the boi gobbles up special attacks like a champ and slaps with them stanky gunk shots. Additionally muk gets minimize which is self evidently busted af. Also ion deluge from the purified shadow lanturn helped me out a lot through out the game, since it summons electric terrain that can override a lot of nasty fields.

Later in the game when you get access to claydol crest... boi does that go hard. Claydol crest allows you to set up cosmic powers in the enemy's face and nuke the whole team with hyper beams.

But for boss battles that were absolutely mountains to get past, I could always rely on the riolu cheese: Have skarmory set up some rocks and spikes, and then have riolu prankster circle throw the whole team. Saki gym fight was a breeze this way, leaving her only with her single bronzong,

Edited by MysticSean

5 hours ago, Ghostea said:

:0 did Alolan Ninetales pull its weight even without Aurora Veil?

If i needed to reduce damage taken for some reason i used Prankster Meowstic. Alolan Ninetales i mainly used to get Hail and spam Blizzard and Dazzling Gleam.

Kinda late to this, but oh man I had a LOT of Pokemon that did really well for me.

Inteleon, my starter. Came in clutch more times than I can count, thanks to its bonkers speed, and maybe most surprisingly, TEARFUL LOOK with its speed was a lifesaver against basically every big boss battle there was. From Rift Gyarados to Rift Gardevoir and even beyond, it came in handy. Also its STAB moves are so strong that my moveset on it was Snipe Shot, Surf, Rain Dance, and Tearful Look, yes, only water moves. Notably carried me vs Valarie of all characters, bc the Field boost made Snipe Shot 2HKO half her team LMAO.

Corviknight... if I didn't get so lucky with this one, I'd probably still be stuck somewhere. This thing was an omega HARD carry for nearly everything, even though its damage output was whatever, and Steel Wing missing when I need it to hit the most, just being bulky enough for me to heal others was important. Also, I don't think a Pokemon can carry a battle as hard as Mirror Armor Corviknight can carry against Saki.

A-Palossand(Rock) was a very pleasant surprise. The real reason I wanted to use it is because I really want a Rock/Ghost type to be a real thing, but then it ended up being a really solid part of my team. It knew Power Gem, Shadow Ball, Giga Drain, and Iron Defense when I caught it, and kept that same moveset till the end. Carried in several battles, like Amber, Adam, Souta, SURPRISINGLY crucial vs Ryland with Iron Defense, every goddamn Trick Room team, and others.

And then Grimmsnarl, it is one of my favorite Pokemon, but i was skeptical on using it bc its kinda late, but boy did it do work. The value of Thunder Wave, Sucker Punch, and being a Fairy type came in handy a whole buncha times, despite how late it was. Notably carried vs Puppet Masters, Rift Gardevoir, Geara, and others/

Honorable mention to Sandaconda, Coil, and Glare schnasty. Sand Spit is also quite good, even though it doesn't function correctly(it doesn't activate when KO'd as it normally should). It was really the only reason I won vs Zetta Geara on Valor Mountain, by setting up coils to all hell and back after Geara's Clefable died. The only reason it didn't stay on my team till the end was because... man its ground type moves by lv up are weak or Dig, so it really couldn't do much in terms of damage.

So I'm a casual and literally play on casual difficulty, but the 'mons I rely on are my Starter [a Blaziken with Speed Boost], my Noivern, and my Floatzel (evolved from the abandoned one because I'm proving the jerk wrong, he is powerful). My backup 'mons include a Gallade, a Lurantis, a Banette, a Heliolisk, a Dustox, and an Alolan Raticate.

In Casual Mode, 2 Fletchinder got Madame X's Yveltal finish all Decimation's PP, letting him only struggling against my team. Grimmsnarl is really good with some moves like Spirit Break, which lower Sp Atk, and more. He got the best against a poor Angel Gardevoir, which can't do much against his unique type combo. Silvally with Electric-Poison-Rock and more memory helped me even with a Crest-Torterra, which got only Ground and Rock as weaknesses. Gardevoir with Double Team and Calm Mind is good too with Special offensive Pokémons.

Ooo i forgot to mention my typhlosion, Im not sure if the crest actually helped or not but during the fight against hatori, on casual, His eruptions really helped in dealling with all of her steel types, SPecifically her aegislash as it loved to use kingshield,

I started recently (normal intensity) so I only just beat Keta. Been swapping out my mons a ton because I feel like using a bunch of different ones but so far, Shuppet, Psyduck, Skwovet, Spearow and Gossifleur have been surprisingly helpful.

Shuppet - is now at the point where it's getting outsped and one shot in important battles but still, will-o-wisp is so helpful against RIFT mons and other important battles, while Pain Split and Cursed Body came in clutch more often than I'd expected

Psyduck - great early game moveset, Confusion makes it really helpful for Venam and Water Pulse lets it pull it's weight in other battles too.

Skwovet - Comes with Bite, gets Stockpile before Venam and Body Slam at level 20. Cheek Pouch + Pecha Berry makes it last even longer against Venam. Also get's Stuffed Cheeks before Venam so pairing that with an Oran Berry could be pretty useful too.

Spearow - Super early Aerial Ace + level 20 evolution will ensure it's one of your heavy hitters for a while.

Gossifleur -  I never really liked this line, and I did not think this thing would be good, but damn. You get the Magical Leaf TM at the same time you get it. Leech Seed + Cotton Down makes it super good in important battles, and grass moves are boosted in Sheridan so Eldegoss is even more helpful against Keta (even against Combusken, since Cotton Down can somewhat counter Speed Boost)

Just got an Octillery and a Girafarig on my team, hopefully they don't disappoint. Girafarig is already helpful because Sap Sipper heals it after every turn in the Forest Field and Octillery learns a lot of very good moves via level up.

I've started a new run and I'm only up to Route 4, but my biggest surprise so far has been how good Charmander is as a starter. I'd never used it before in any of these type of games, but early Dragon Rage is super useful, especially to help chip away at rift pokemon. And Charizard with Flame Burst absolutely wrecked Narcissa, who is supposed to be very tough and I had no strategy for now that the field mechanics have changed.

Honorable mention to Boltund, who has quickly become one of, if not my favorite electric type. Very good speed, learns Spark, Nuzzle, and Strong Jaw boosted Bite early.

Obstagoon is also pretty OP
Obstruct works almost the same as Aegislash's King Shield but better, it drops the enemy's defense by 2 stages so it's easy to combo it with a Headbutt or a Night Slash and get a OHKO, he also can learn Taunt which can be pretty necessary against annoying Pokemons with annoying strategies, he is also the perfect counter to Aegislash (if it has Defiant)

Here's a simulation of a fight between Obstagoon and Aegislash:

Spoiler

Turn 1:
Aegislash will be itchy to use Sacred Sword for that sweet 4x super effect
Obstagoon will use Obstruct and lower is defense by 2 stages

Turn 2:
Aegislash will use King's Shield to change back into defense
Obstagoon will attack with Nighslash, hit the shield and get his attack lowerd by -1 and then get a +2 attack boost from Defiant with a net positive of +1

Turn 3:
Obstagoon uses Nightslash while boosted +1 in attack and Aegislash debuffed -2 in defense getting an OHKO
OR
You can play safe and repeat turns 1 and 2 another time

PS: Aegislash also can't be cheeky and try the Sword Dance + Shadow Sneak combo since Obstagoon is Normal Type so it won't affect it

Another good Pokémon is Hariyama, which is a decent tank. In some case, it will be your savior thanks to Fake-Out already learned since Makuhita in Sheridian, Knock Off and even, if you're lucky, Force Palm. Can help you with some Double Battle. Just pay attention to some fields which can nullify priority moves and boss with shields. Thick Fat helped me in Angie's fight. Seeing Keta using an Hariyama with Fake Out in Intense and seeing him being defeated with the same strategy is hilarious.

Can we have a moment of appreciation for how much of an untouchable god in this version is Pyukumuku? Not only this absolute chad carry Purify which is the only skill that can counter some Fields, his Memento is vital in beating a lot of Rift bosses. 

Early game my mvp was definitly chimeco. I honestly don't know how your supposed to beat venam now without one. You can evolve it at lvl 15 easily by just spamming the hair salon. It also dumpsters keta. It's also one of the best mons available for facing marie since it learns extrasensory at lvl 20ish and  marie's field boosts extrasensory bp. Having a stab 80bp field boosted move is just so strong compared to the rest of your mons who are still probably using sub-60 bp moves. Although after marie chimeco becomes fairly useless.

Midgame definitely the best mon in the game has to be talonflame. Unless you built a trick room team, tailwind is SO important for so many different boss fights. And being able to get priority tailwind as well as powerful stab moves in brave bird + flare blitz while being one of the fastest mons you can get period just makes talonflame so useful in almost every fight.

Lategame for me was volcarona. I got lucky from the mystery egg and got a larvesta. Getting screens up + setting up with volc is such an easy way to sweep so many fights. With quiver and roost it was just about finding a special attacker to set up on (and not get crit) and it was usually just a wrap.  

Edited by 7ravens

Well so in Normal difficulty, no item set mode :

Against Melia impossible to pick one between those two : Grimmsnarl, who did an insane job with its screens and T-Wave, my one and only win condition  against that cursed Hydreigon. The other one is Neutralizing Gas Weezing, burned up Mimikyu, made Azumarill worthless, nothing more to say.

Against Angie I was dumb so I activated the interceptor and fought with my own team with Erin. With no pc access I thought I was done. The mvp was my eternal Feraligatr, finally cleaning up at the end with Elemental Seed and DD.

Against Hazuki both of my two leads Salazzle and A-Muk were key to go through, the first one OHKOing that painful M-Corviknight with Overheat, the second one taunting and killing Chandelure next turn with a one shot (Focus Sash but Poison Touch Crunch poped) to avoid a lethal Trick Room.

Against Geara no contest, A-Muk did the same astonishing job it did against Narcissa back in the days, mostly against M-Gengar and by finally killing A-Parasect (this thing should not exist), but the mvp was Weezing anyway. It managed to contain the two biggest threats for my team, the Sucker God Grimmsnarl and A-Parasect, burning both of them and having a great core with Cacturne to absorb Sleep Powder and stalling with Spiky Shield, Weezing being able to switch in one million Gunk Shots with the burn and restarting the loop.

Against Saki that's simple : I could do nothing against her but belch blood, her Synthetic Seed Aggron and M-Metagross with that ridiculous signature move 6-0ed me easily. That was until I bring back a Shedinja I caught right for this moment. Things were inverted all of the sudden and it annihilated Saki's team. Synthetic Seed to make it invulnerable and forcing the damn Aron to switch, and playing around with Heal Block, Will o Wisp and Dig. Mega Metawho ?? What the hell are you gonna do now ?? Thanks Salazzle to handle and kill Corviknight after a burn however, would have been pp stalled without that, because it outsped Shedinja and I could not Heal Block it to death. After that it was game, only Aggron I finished later with a Mantine and Corviknight could hit Shedinja without the Seed. I 6-2ed her, lololol. Shedinja hacked the well oiled machine Sakitron. Sometimes you just need one HP to move mountains.

If I have to pick one of these, Saki was such a pain in the ass before and such a joke after, that even if it literally made one fight with me, I have to choose Shedinja. I highly recommend it for each person searching a way to beat her.