What are your V13 MVPs (and, if applicable, favorite strategies)?

SilentEevee

So, just finished my first complete run of V13 on intense mode, with an item ban and set mode on. Gotta say, this was a new tier of difficult. It really made me want to pull my hair out at some points.

In light of this, I'm interested to know which mons you found yourself depending on a lot throughout your own run; particularly the ones that you kept on your team for at least a semi-permanent basis after obtaining them.

In my case, I have a newfound appreciation for Meowstic. Prankster screens, t-wave, yawn, fake tears, charm... the sheer utility on this mon is incredible. Sure, it's damage output is laughable in the late game, and the nerf to prankster reduced its utility against certain mons like the rift gardevoir(s), but I found myself putting the psychic cat on a permanent rotation and started actively EV training and breeding to obtain the Ultimate Espurr.

I think at this point, I like it more than Espeon, which is saying something.

Sturdy magnezone continues to put in work, with its natural focus sash allowing me to cheese my way through a lot of the rift fights. It's the only reason I managed to beat the rift gardevoir, at that, albeit with a heavy dose of RNG luck. Also, it was incredibly useful in the trick room fights.

Infiltrator. Crobat. Considering how early you can get this mon, it's downright incredible. Sure, it's frail as fuck, but it's ability to set up tailwind, as well its ability to bypass screens, were invaluable in fights like the gym battle against the puppet master. I'm sure Noivern could fill this role just as well, but considering that it takes a lot longer for Noibat to be anything other than dead weight, I ended up prioritizing the utility Crobat brought to the table over it.

Talonflame occupied a similar but still incredibly useful niche as Crobat, in that it had priority when it came to tailwind setup, and had incredible damage output in its priority brave bird/acrobatics - at least when at full HP. Against Adam's Aerodactyl, this bird put in the work.

And, while this one was only situationally useful so I'm technically breaking my own rules, I cannot heap enough praise onto Porygon. Trace, coupled with a boosting move, is literally the only reason I managed to scrape by past the rift Hippowdon, Seriously, even with Ren's help, that thing is too tanky for its own good.

For sweeper i usually go with Sword Dance+ Bullet Punch Scizor and Toxic + Merciless Def build Milotic.

If the opponent is too bulky or counter my team hard my Destiny Bond Gengar is ready to take one for the team.

Intimidate Arcanine with will o wips to Cripple Physical Attacker

But my must have when boss fight is Ribombee, its montrous speed manage to sweep or at least deal enough damage for a revenge killer to finish the job, not to mention it can set Sticky Web which saved me countless time 

2 hours ago, SilentEevee said:

Sure, it's damage output is laughable in the late game, and the nerf to prankster reduced its utility against certain mons like the rift gardevoir(s)

Wait how did prankster get nerfed? Bulbapedia says nothing about it being nerf so is it a Rejuvenation only thing?

8 minutes ago, Yahiro said:

Wait how did prankster get nerfed? Bulbapedia says nothing about it being nerf so is it a Rejuvenation only thing?

It's not a Rejuvenation-only thing at all. One of the stealth changes to how Types work in Gen. 7 was making Dark Types immune to attacks that have had their Priority boosted by Prankster. One of the best examples I can think of came from the 2017 VGC Finals, where the third game started off with one player switching their mandibuzz into the enemy whimsicott's Nature Power-turned-Moonblast!Twinkle Tackle, and taking nothing from the Z-move because of the fact that it was boosted by Prankster! An absolutely nuts moment that was~

• Like 1

Typhlosion -

Spoiler

One-shotted Hazuki's Corviknight with Eruption and allowed my other mon to finish off the crippled Chandelure. Without giving her an opportunity to set up trick room, I was able to out-speed and finish off the rest of her team. 

Porygon2 - An absolute stall demon with Eviolite. T-wave and recover while I slowly whittle enemies using offensive moves like tri-attack, thunderbolt, shadow ball, etc. A bit guilty using this mon but I gotta do what I gotta do to win right? 

Starmie - Caught a beautiful shiny one last version and I've finally got the chance to use it! It's got an amazing speed stat and took out priority threats thanks to the Waterium-Z!

Flygon - Hehehe, personally my favourite Pokemon :D. Hits pretty hard with Earthquake stab and life orb.

Well... I dont have that many strategy in the game Haha. the most strategy i think of, is get the enemy paralyzed with either Glare or Thunder Wave, coming from or my Seviper, or Luxray or my Silvally. after that, i just use the cheeky strategy of Parting shot in Silavally, -1 atk and -1 special attack. then, i switch into Incineroar, and in 1 turn i get the enemy attack -2. since he doesnt hit well now, i switch into Silavally, that can survive any physcial hit now, and continue 1 more time. I watched that, when the enemy is -5 or -6 in any status, he swich out- so, i get him paralyzed, -4 atk, and the set-up with Sword Dance from my Scizor (Really... Scizor is the MVP of my team, so much damage, and Steel and Bug typing is really good! only having 1 weakness is a blessing for set up)

9 hours ago, SilentEevee said:

So, just finished my first complete run of V13 on intense mode, with an item ban and set mode on. Gotta say, this was a new tier of difficult. It really made me want to pull my hair out at some points.

In light of this, I'm interested to know which mons you found yourself depending on a lot throughout your own run; particularly the ones that you kept on your team for at least a semi-permanent basis after obtaining them.

In my case, I have a newfound appreciation for Meowstic. Prankster screens, t-wave, yawn, fake tears, charm... the sheer utility on this mon is incredible. Sure, it's damage output is laughable in the late game, and the nerf to prankster reduced its utility against certain mons like the rift gardevoir(s), but I found myself putting the psychic cat on a permanent rotation and started actively EV training and breeding to obtain the Ultimate Espurr.

I think at this point, I like it more than Espeon, which is saying something.

Sturdy magnezone continues to put in work, with its natural focus sash allowing me to cheese my way through a lot of the rift fights. It's the only reason I managed to beat the rift gardevoir, at that, albeit with a heavy dose of RNG luck. Also, it was incredibly useful in the trick room fights.

Infiltrator. Crobat. Considering how early you can get this mon, it's downright incredible. Sure, it's frail as fuck, but it's ability to set up tailwind, as well its ability to bypass screens, were invaluable in fights like the gym battle against the puppet master. I'm sure Noivern could fill this role just as well, but considering that it takes a lot longer for Noibat to be anything other than dead weight, I ended up prioritizing the utility Crobat brought to the table over it.

Talonflame occupied a similar but still incredibly useful niche as Crobat, in that it had priority when it came to tailwind setup, and had incredible damage output in its priority brave bird/acrobatics - at least when at full HP. Against Adam's Aerodactyl, this bird put in the work.

And, while this one was only situationally useful so I'm technically breaking my own rules, I cannot heap enough praise onto Porygon. Trace, coupled with a boosting move, is literally the only reason I managed to scrape by past the rift Hippowdon, Seriously, even with Ren's help, that thing is too tanky for its own good.

How did your Crobat learnt Tailwind? mine do not have it at lv 85, and the move tutor do not proposes it to me...

4 minutes ago, Evylash said:

How did your Crobat learnt Tailwind? mine do not have it at lv 85, and the move tutor do not proposes it to me...

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the move relearner? You'll need a heart scale.

Just now, SilentEevee said:

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the move relearner? You'll need a heart scale.

yeah but the move relearner (in Sheridan AND in GDC) do not propose me tailwind (on both crobat and Golbat)

44 minutes ago, Evylash said:

yeah but the move relearner (in Sheridan AND in GDC) do not propose me tailwind (on both crobat and Golbat)

According to Bulbapedia, Tailwind is a normal move in Crobat's moveset in Sword/Shield, but a tutor move in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. 

Just now, Nocturne93 said:

According to Bulbapedia, Tailwind is a normal move in Crobat's moveset in Sword/Shield, but a tutor move in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. 

Yeah i just saw that. But how do you explain that SilentEevee's crobat has tailwind while mine does not? ...

Ambipom then and Ambipom now, forever
Ambipom with Technician is HIGHLY underrated, start the fight with a Fake Out that is boosted by the ability + STAB and just finish them off with Double Hit ALSO boosted by ability + STAB, he is a very good revenge killer, you can even put Thief on him to deal with those pesky Ghosts, the only way Ambipom would be even stronger is if it could learn Double Kick, sadly it don't, GameFreak probably thought it would be too OP

Well, i have to say i loved using pyukumuku against earlier rifts, not only because it can acctually take a hit, but because of two things, first is memento (also, weezing with neutralazing gas is the better option against late-game boss/rift mons) , and second, innards out, it was beautifull to just throw two pyukumukus and see the rift kill himself.

A-Palossand (rock type) was a suprising and wonderfull defensive option, solid rock saved me more than once, learns a reliable hp recovery option (recover), learns stealth rock and can even play with nature power

A-Paras. Yes, paras, not parasect, because you can only get it really late in the story. Having a broken ability like resurrection can make this little zombie a threath even if it's not  fully evolved, and even more suprisingly, it hits H A R D, well, not as much as a darmanitan, but stronger than a base 100 in attack

I need to do some honorable mentions, the firt being grimmsnarl, while it didn't stand out that much it was a really solid option throught most of the game, it was one piece of my team that i didn't need to chage that much between fights, having good bulk, prankster to support in singles or doubles with thunder wave, fake out or fake tears, having set up with bulk up, and a fantastic move that one shot's Flora's ferrothorn, spirit break. very consistent

Stonejourner: This pokemon help me a lot in double fights, specifically against Angie and the top of Valor mountain, wide guard, rock slide and power spot is all it needs

Abomasnow/Vanilluxe: When you can change the weather you can play your own game... most of the times... 

Hey... Just a question; Where can i find the TM Bulldoze for my Milotic?

And also, what is a good moveset for a Special Attacker Lucario? I need a physical Lucario is so much better with Close Combat, Sword Dance, Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch Yadayadayada. But, i need a special attacker on my team, but Lucario doesnt learn Flash Cannon buy level up, and there isnt Flash Cannon in the game yet, so, i dont know my Lucario moveset

Just now, 321_King_123 said:

Hey... Just a question; Where can i find the TM Bulldoze for my Milotic?

And also, what is a good moveset for a Special Attacker Lucario? I need a physical Lucario is so much better with Close Combat, Sword Dance, Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch Yadayadayada. But, i need a special attacker on my team, but Lucario doesnt learn Flash Cannon buy level up, and there isnt Flash Cannon in the game yet, so, i dont know my Lucario moveset

Bulldoze is found in goldenwood forest, though you'll need surf to get to it. There's a hidden grove with it and a zcell.

I believe you can get flash cannon from Saki after defeating her gym. Failing that, a good moveset for special lucario might be aura sphere, vaccuum wave, nasty plot and psychic. Or, in place of nasty plot or psychic, you could add a physical steel move like meteor mash or bullet punch and basically have minor physical investment.

I'd recommend you use steel beam as a substitute for flash cannon, but that tutor isn't in the game either.

13 minutes ago, SilentEevee said:

Bulldoze is found in goldenwood forest, though you'll need surf to get to it. There's a hidden grove with it and a zcell.

I believe you can get flash cannon from Saki after defeating her gym. Failing that, a good moveset for special lucario might be aura sphere, vaccuum wave, nasty plot and psychic. Or, in place of nasty plot or psychic, you could add a physical steel move like meteor mash or bullet punch and basically have minor physical investment.

I'd recommend you use steel beam as a substitute for flash cannon, but that tutor isn't in the game either.

I see! Also, any ideas on how to get Nastly Plot for Lucario? Tried in the move tutor, but she didnt had nastly plot to teach my Lucario, and in max my lucario only learned SD

3 minutes ago, 321_King_123 said:

I see! Also, any ideas on how to get Nastly Plot for Lucario? Tried in the move tutor, but she didnt had nastly plot to teach my Lucario, and in max my lucario only learned SD

Bulbapedia says Lucario learns it by level up. But if you can't get it, for whatever reason, he learns other setup moves, like calm mind or work up.

47 minutes ago, SilentEevee said:

Cant seem to find the hidden grove..  The best i found is a place named Secret Shrine, the one with a Mesprit statue, but theres nothing there

24 minutes ago, 321_King_123 said:

Cant seem to find the hidden grove..  The best i found is a place named Secret Shrine, the one with a Mesprit statue, but theres nothing there

That's the one I was talking about. If there's nothing there, it means you already have the TM.

If you want, just give me your save file and I'll set it up for you.