E18 Obtainability Updates [Spoilers]

BIGJRA

• Veterans
36 minutes ago, Zander said:

Feild effects. They are always in favor of the opponent. The only way to get around feild effects are using a specific pokemon/type of Pokemon usually available in front of the gym or have moves that change the feild. Both strategies effectively eat into a person's team and move sets.

If you play competitive pokemon, stuff like Naganadel was made Ubers because you needed to carry a specific pokemon/type to beat it in OU which does not adhere to the spirit of fair play. In that respect Reborn is massively unfair as it makes you change your Pokemon team and moves constantly thus not allowing free will to a player unless they want to suffer badly.

See here's the thing, that's competitive. The point there is to keep things as even as possible and allow for people to outplay each other without losing at team preview. Reborn on the other hand, is a game. The point is for it to get gradually more and more difficult and force you to adapt if your team isn't good enough. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Zander said:

Feild effects. They are always in favor of the opponent.

That is completely and indeed BLATANTLY untrue. Adrienn's field effect more or less spells utter doom for xe's entire team. Samson is fought on a field designed to power up flying moves. Luna's field boosts moves that hit her Pokemon for massively increased damage. Shelly is fought on a field that easily turns into a devastating advantage for your team. And etc. If you actually bother to learn the field effects and how they work they are far more balanced than you seem to think. 

Not to mention that you are a person, with a brain. The AI is an idiot. You should be able to outhink it in your sleep. The AI cannot plan. The AI cannot adapt. This is true of pretty much every game, where the only advantage the computer has is reflexes. But in turn-based battles it doesn't even have that.

3 hours ago, Lord Drakyle said:

in fact it is dark souls that i would say is unfairly difficult and the community for it do not help in the slightest given if you seek help for it you will only be told to get good, which helps no one but that's another topic.

I like both Reborn and Dark Souls, and in general I tend to think of both as games that reward preparation, planning, and strategy over the more standard brute force your way through (though admittedly I also do plenty of both). And while a lot of Dark Souls players are utter dickweeds the same is true of most fandoms (on the grounds that most people are dickweeds, so law of averages.)

Edited by wcv

3 hours ago, Lord Drakyle said:

Name one part of reborn that is unfairly difficult

Uhhh....how do I put this? Unfairly difficult doesn't necessarily mean how difficult something is. Leaders could be three times as strong and it still be fair difficulty. Difficulty is determined by how well you prepare the players for the "unknown" forecasting and slowly increasing the difficulty. One of the best examples of unfair difficulty was E8 Serra since the name of the game was RNG since she used hax evading strats. There was a 70% chance the move you were going to use would hit. And she wasn't a pushover leader to begin with so not being able to hit her made her painfully frustrating. I could name other instances, but I think it's best I keep quiet for now. A lot of changes happened in Reborn for reasons.

46 minutes ago, Maqqy said:

If you think that having diverse teams, constantly changing movesets and to willingly learn and adapt to these field effects are all but a hassle, then maybe this isn’t the game for you my g. Reborn caters and specializes on experimentation and variety. If you just play it like any normal Pokemon game or fan games like Insurgence, then you don’t get to appreciate Reborn fully as a whole in my opinion.

First off, you don't need to do any of that for Reborn. The game is not super brutal, but it isn't a pushover either. It's very possible to make it to the end with a team of 6 found before Shelly. It's just really hard to pull that off especially in the late game. I would argue that Reborn punishes people who try to experiment as changing team members requires grinding as there's just enough exp in the main story with doing sidequests to be at the right level to take on the leader. Though it's a little on the short side to the point your whole team will be a bit underleveled without grinding. And that's the issue. Reborn is a bit too grind happy demoting diversity. Only reason people would change their teams is A) they literally cannot beat a boss with their team (which rarely happens) or B) they find something they really like and would be willing to spend a couple hours to raise. If people think the game is too punishing with team changes making it unfairly difficult, I think that's a valid criticism. I agree with it. It doesn't make the game bad or not fit for them though.

Though on the flip side, failure is your greatest teacher in this game. It's actually a reason I really dislike how punishing wiping was in the beta (I really hope you guys don't lose 30k per wipe). Which each failure you learn something new and if you apply it, you'll make more progress. Eventually, it should be enough to succeed. I use that mentality when I personally design stuff as most of the Redux players are both smarter and better battlers than I am when it comes to Pokemon. So I get what you are saying, but I don't necessarily think it's right to say if a game is made for someone or not. Sometimes we just need to let out some frustration. Believe me, I have my fair share of frustrated moments.

2 hours ago, wcv said:

That is completely and indeed BLATANTLY untrue. Adrienn's field effect more or less spells utter doom for xe's entire team. Samson is fought on a field designed to power up flying moves. Luna's field boosts moves that hit her Pokemon for massively increased damage. Shelly is fought on a field that easily turns into a devastating advantage for your team. And etc. If you actually bother to learn the field effects and how they work they are far more balanced than you seem to think. 

That Mirror girl field also can work in disadvantage for her if you carry a few certain pokemon moves.

The only gym fields I can think that is fully in the opponents favor is Poison, Grass, That Chess Board and Maybe Water.

reads last couple of pages

Ok

Is Reborn a hard game?

Yes.

Is it absurdly difficult?

No.

Field effects make things interesting.

They make fights more than who has the better move or stats.

Yes they buff the leader, but you can also exploit it as well.

Ex: Adrienn's mist field

Normally xe's hard to beat on it, unless you have a strong physical attacker

Or if you have a mon with Defog you're now on a field that boosts Steel type moves.

And you can use literally any non-legend you want as of E18.

Just find them or someone willing to trade with you and you can have any team you want.

This diversity can make fun teams and can make you get creative, which is my favorite about Reborn.

Reborn is a game where you can play how you want.

Want a mono run? Pick a type.

Want to only use mons from a certain generation? Your choice.

Reborn makes you strategize and experiment to a level rarely found anywhere else.

That's the main reason I enjoy Reborn so much, finding out the best way to take on an opponent, testing who to lead with, and occasionally relying on plain ol' RNG.

Anyway my point is this: Reborn doesn't need to be super difficult. You can learn how to overcome each hurdle, expect maybe that Garchomp.

You don't necessarily need to breed Pokemon for each new foe, but if that's what you want to do, go for it. 

If you find the challenges and what it might take to beat them unappealing then I'm not sure what to say.

Maybe Reborn isn't for you, or maybe you need some help with the game.

Either way, you can determine for yourself. 

But don't just say a game is over the top difficult because you've run into a wall you have trouble climbing.

wow. i did not expect to write this much.

Guest Relinquished

Reborn is moderately challenging... Rejuvenation, for example, seems to be harder. There is no need to constantly rotate team members either, since having like 10 pokemon max well trained and available for use at any given time, is more than enough to go through the entire game. Also, after gen 7 came and enemy trainer rosters underwent slight changes, it seems easier to go through.

I used to find it boring, beating the game with your starter only, or sticking with those same old pokemon. After seeing Reborn, all that changed. It feels refreshing to try new things and pull out to do battle, a pokemon you normally wouldn't give it the time of the day! Fields are also a great concept, since they make sense and the anime used a primitive version of those throughout the episodes, or something along those lines (like pikachu utilizing the surroundings of Brock's gym, to soak Onix)... Also, as somebody else said before, they remind of Yugi-Oh, which is great!

Reborn has something for everyone. It appeals to all sides.

Should probably steeeeeeer this back to E18 obtainability now...

Scizor being available is kinda wild, and I can understand why it's been put off for so long despite not being a pseudo.  Only being weak to one type, decent physical bulk, easy access to setup with swords dance, powered up stab priority with bullet punch and technician, and a pretty ludicrous attack stat can really make it a dangerous sweeper.  Priority has shown to throw a wrench in a lot of leaders' strategies.  For example, if you've got a pretty much perfect Lycanroc by Shelly's fight, a single accelerock can take out Illumise and suddenly Shelly is without rain and you can sweep with fire types all you want.  So with strong priority's danger to the win conditions of many important battles, it was bound to be kept out for this long.

Well I can’t even feign surprise or act clueless anymore because now I am clueless.  And here I thought I’d have seen everything before community release.  Welp, my guess would probably be Poipole considering the only Pokémon left are legendary/mythical Pokémon with no evolutionary stages.

13 minutes ago, Tacos said:

Well I can’t even feign surprise or act clueless anymore because now I am clueless.  And here I thought I’d have seen everything before community release.  Welp, my guess would probably be Poipole considering the only Pokémon left are legendary/mythical Pokémon with no evolutionary stages.

I mean it's still possible that a limited event pokemon will become more available i doubt Ame would release legendaries/mythicals in yet i wonder if she wants us to believe she did so people get all hyped and start expecting it to be a legendary or mythical and then nope, kinda like the joke picture with various reborn characters in a MC Donalds triangle where Solaris would be among those who drive up as everyone cheers only to leave after ordering a single black coffee....yeah that's what i would compare it to if she did that.

Guest Relinquished

Most possibly, Poipole... Naganadel has 540 total stats (not that grand, or anywhere near as those of typical legendaries/mythicals) and because, Rejuvenation side story has it encountered early.

I bet on Poipole!

• Global Mods
15 minutes ago, GS BALL said:

Most possibly, Poipole... Naganadel has 540 total stats (not that grand, or anywhere near as those of typical legendaries/mythicals) and because, Rejuvenation side story has it encountered early.

I bet on Poipole!

I mean beast boost is still beast busted, especially with how "optimized" the stat allocation of UB's are. but it's definitely a strong possibility, assuming it's an unobtainable one that's being added.  

also it's neat to still have some surprises for us beta peeps and the alphas

If it's one of the Ultra Beasts that get added, I hope it's Guzzlord or Xurkitree. Guzzlord is in my opinion overall one of the weakest, if not the weakest UB, whereas Xurkitree could be a reward for a sidequest including Shade's Gym or something. I know Rotom was there already, but the power/lights are still off there.

Considering we already have Phione, my bet is on Manaphy. Even if it's quite strong with Z-Rain Dance and Tail Glow.

Otherwise, one of the weakest Ultra-Beast such as Nihigelo, Guzzlord or Stakataka is possible in my opinion... what a nice surprise anyway!

5 hours ago, Lord Drakyle said:

I mean it's still possible that a limited event pokemon will become more available i doubt Ame would reease legendaries/mythicals in yet i wonder if she wants us to believe she did so people get all hyped and start expecting it to be a legendary or mythical and then nope, kinda like the joke picture with various reborn characters in a MC Donalds triangle where Solaris would be among those who drive up as everyone cheers only to leave after ordering a single black coffee....yeah that's what i would compare it to if she did that.

No limited Pokemon left and Ame said added to the game, so that pretty much is guaranteed not to be the case.

Although it would hilarious to see Weedle go from breeding only to available in the wild.

4 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

I mean beast boost is still beast busted, especially with how "optimized" the stat allocation of UB's are. but it's definitely a strong possibility, assuming it's an unobtainable one that's being added.  

also it's neat to still have some surprises for us beta peeps and the alphas

To be fair, nobody expected Aegislash (another Uber) to become available before Hardy.

Here's how I see it, We're either getting an Ultra beast, or we're getting a Legendary/Mythical 

My guesses for Ultra beasts: Poipole/ Naganadel (Most likely), Nihilego, and Blacephalon 

My guesses for Legendaries and Mythicals(A longer list this time due to more singular mythicals lately): Cosmog/ Cosmoem? Lunala & Solgaleo(Second most likely), Genesect, Mewtwo, Diancie, Hoopa, Zeraora, and Marshadow 

I could be dead wrong, I have no idea, this is just where my mind is wandering. 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:11 AM, Lord Drakyle said:

I think all the alolan variants are available as of this time. If looking for one specifically you can always ask in on the hunt about it.

Reborn has unfair difficulty? i disagree, the difficulty is fine, it seems mostly like the people who are reliant on Pokemon that are their favorites or are KNOWN for being incredibly strong in the main games and don't want to use a strategy to counter their struggles are the ones saying reborn is way too difficult. Name one part of reborn that is unfairly difficult, or one thing, every episode Ame carefully places Pokemon where they are best put for that progress of the game and sometimes tweaks where existing Pokemon can be found, but all of this is to inspire people to use things they would never use before and to give them a reason to try multiple playthroughs with different Pokemon, in fact it is dark souls that i would say is unfairly difficult and the community for it do not help in the slightest given if you seek help for it you will only be told to get good, which helps no one but that's another topic. The point is i have not seen one single part of reborn that is so difficult it could be considered unfair.

Whoopsie, I had it written in reverse before posting. Apologies for that. Reborn is fair, but tough initially (given the additional mechanics of its fields).