Theory Crafting Thread

enderowl

7 hours ago, TheHellHamster said:

The only thing I can think of would be if it was somehow related to his 'gift'. Personally my question is how did he get Giratina in the first place? I mean Indriad makes sense because he has magic and stuff but Isha is just a guy, albeit a guy with some advanced memory tech but nothing that would let him catch and store a legendary without anyone knowing.

Ooh, I didn't think about the gift. He may have gotten Giratina before he started with the vaccines. (What would be in the vaccines then? A serum somehow related to Griselda?)

I agree about how he got Giratina. The doctors just say he "caught" it, which is a bit preposterous. I would have preferred if Crescent had actually caught Giratina on Valor Mountain--then Freya could have stolen it and handed it over to Isha. But maybe we have a better explanation coming our way.

My thought on the way the main character behaves, and seems to lack the Interceptor power to avoid death, whereby Crescent saves us on Valor Mountain, even though it should have been our Interceptor abilities to do the trick... is that the Core is damaged from Indriad's Gift. Maybe Crescent is something more than an ordinary Interceptor. She might be someone high ranking in the project that created them, or maybe even a higher-ranking entity, like a Commander or Admin class Interceptor. Perhaps her functions put strain on the Core system and so she wasn't activated until things got dire. And the MC is the only one of the others left who can function, or didn't "fail" for the final time.

She seems to indicate from the very beginning on the Oceania that there is not much time left for either of us. Why the hell is that? Nancy seems to know, but there's a lot about her that's mysterious too. And she is never around long enough to explain, and promised she wouldn't to Crescent, anyway. Then her nightmare is about running out of time, and something going to be "soon, soon..." She may be directly linked to the Core in a way that lets her see it's current status. She knows too much and look what kind of person she is. Maybe THAT is why the MC Interceptor is not given memories or understands their place. The truth, and the doomsday clock that could well be with it, might drive us mad or to panic-driven, and therefore sub-optimal, choices.

Another thing about Indriad's Gift: I would swear it's connected to Voidal Chasm. And the chasm is SPREADING, and UNDERGROUND. Just like the Core and its associated systems... maybe it is being steadily eroded away... and we have nothing to stop it. Indriad always seems to get away and accomplish what he needs to in order for the Gift to manifest, and indeed, seems like it happens VERY soon after losing Anathea.

I thought that Crescent 'saving' us at Valor was just her lying to our face to keep us out of the way since we come back to life without anyone's help at Blacksteeple. Though her threat about us not coming back next time could be real considering how we haven't damaged that version of the Core since then.

I agree with you that the Voidal Chasm is probably going to be very important in the future, but I don't remember it being said that it was spreading, where did it say that?

Our character has saved himself from death seemingly knowing we couldn't die. The reason I believe this is that during the dark future we seemingly protect melia by killing ourself. Our interceptor is in my opinion is probably of a higher rank than other interceptors. Correct me if I am wrong but cresent died after valor mountain killed by freya. After her death we traveled to the dark future and died since freya knows about the interceptors and cresent might be dead for good we in our dark future death we shouldn't have come back. There are 2 possibilities here 1 that our character is the interceptor of interceptors or we are the core. First lets talk about the grand interceptor possibility we know that interceptors are supposed to judge not interfere we clearly interfere in everything and can access memories of other interceptors. Now the other more far fetched theory of us being the core. We know of the core takes enough damage the interceptors become mortal we know since the core is what gives interceptors their power it has to see their memories and minds as of now only our character has demonstrated the abilty to know things it shouldn't know and finally what or who the core is was never specified. So those are my 2 theories on it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheHellHamster said:

I thought that Crescent 'saving' us at Valor was just her lying to our face to keep us out of the way since we come back to life without anyone's help at Blacksteeple. Though her threat about us not coming back next time could be real considering how we haven't damaged that version of the Core since then.

I agree with you that the Voidal Chasm is probably going to be very important in the future, but I don't remember it being said that it was spreading, where did it say that?

I... don't know. But I'm fairly sure someone mentioned it was slowly growing bigger. No idea who mentions it. Lots of people reference it at one point or another in later episodes so it's hard. Perhaps one of the bladestar grunts who dump the MC in it? Or the guy who researches it? It feels like maybe it was Ren. I destinctly recall reading in the game that it's slowly getting bigger. But I could easily be misremembering.

It does bring one to wonder. Maybe Melanie was lying about destroying all the land, and it was in fact falling into the sea because chasms were opening up same as what happened to Alamissa Urban. That right there gives evidence that maybe the dungeon is spreading.

Oh. I just realized something important.

Vivian. Vivian is/was connected to the EARTH. Voidal Chasm is in the earth itself. So if Voidal Chasm is directly connected to Indriad's Gift... would be very vulnerable to Vivian's sacrificial protection spell...

I'm sure a decent number of people are aware of this, but it's very relevant to this thread. There are lots of little hints and nuggets over at Jan's Tumblr, where he answers fan-submitted questions. Just today, there were a couple responses from him that are quite topical:

image.png.de3216413af07898f0d048c7e5749442.png

Perhaps this question was even motivated by the "Is the Interceptor the MC or the human being behind the computer screen" discussion that happened recently in this thread.

image.png.2c069489bc2dbe3487518f42d6c26671.png

A lot of people independently come to the conclusion that in the origin story that Nymiera tells you in her house, the Man and the Woman are Vitus and Nymiera, but this confirms it (the Woman part, at least) and adds a bit more flavor to Nymiera's character. (Also, it wasn't until I was replaying the game recently that I realized it was "Nymiera" and not "Nymeria".)

I know that Jan knows that his responses are being watched carefully. He needs to not spoil anything major in his answers, but in addition to this, he has had many oppotunities to answer questions in such a way that would cause people (see: the people posting in this thread, which is a group that I am now a member of) to spiral down the Theory Rabbit Hole as he sits back and laughs. If I were in Jan's position, I certainly would have been tempted to take some of those opportunities.

Edited by MattL
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, MattL said:

A lot of people independently come to the conclusion that in the origin story that Nymeria tells you in her house, the Man and the Woman are Vitus and Nymiera, but this confirms it (the Woman part, at least) and adds a bit more flavor to Nymiera's character. (Also, it wasn't until I was replaying the game recently that I realized it was "Nymiera" and not "Nymeria".)

The 2 possibilities are that nymeria ans nymiera are different or that nymiera changed her name to nymeria

I wanna know more about Amber and Tesla. Are we sure they're safe? That interaction with Hazuki was really weird; it's the first time we met her in the present, and why would she of all people be concerned about Tesla's safety?

I'm suspecting Hazuki was actually Cera in disguise. Because I think Cera is either a brainwashed Hazuki or a replica of her created via Garufan magic. In which case, Angie would have kidnapped Tesla and Amber.

On 8/15/2020 at 3:25 AM, MattL said:

I'm sure a decent number of people are aware of this, but it's very relevant to this thread. There are lots of little hints and nuggets over at Jan's Tumblr, where he answers fan-submitted questions. Just today, there were a couple responses from him that are quite topical:

image.png.de3216413af07898f0d048c7e5749442.png

Perhaps this question was even motivated by the "Is the Interceptor the MC or the human being behind the computer screen" discussion that happened recently in this thread.

image.png.2c069489bc2dbe3487518f42d6c26671.png

A lot of people independently come to the conclusion that in the origin story that Nymiera tells you in her house, the Man and the Woman are Vitus and Nymiera, but this confirms it (the Woman part, at least) and adds a bit more flavor to Nymiera's character. (Also, it wasn't until I was replaying the game recently that I realized it was "Nymiera" and not "Nymeria".)

I know that Jan knows that his responses are being watched carefully. He needs to not spoil anything major in his answers, but in addition to this, he has had many oppotunities to answer questions in such a way that would cause people (see: the people posting in this thread, which is a group that I am now a member of) to spiral down the Theory Rabbit Hole as he sits back and laughs. If I were in Jan's position, I certainly would have been tempted to take some of those opportunities.

I have a theory about Nymiera and Alexandra being the same person, just like Vivian and Aelita, (Alexandra knows about the obelisk, Alexandra is a descendent of Nymiera) and the sentence that Jan wrote about how Nymiera is living in modern day life is justifying this theory.

So...let's talk about the mysterious profile from the Hospital of Hope. The 59 year old guy who didn't remember his name, but knew he was from the Sevii Islands.

That's definitely not Kenneth, since we were shown his entire life. Plus, we know he's 44, since the calamity happened when he was 4 years old.

It's also probably not Deagan, since he never got amnesia in the WLL. Plus, that would make him at least 15 years older than Kenneth.

That leaves one possible person: Kenneth's father. We know he died before WLL, but we don't know how or where. Maybe he somehow ended up in the Hospital of Hope? And his age seems more plausible if the file was, say, 10 years old.

So what happened to him? Did he get kidnapped by Freya or something? Did he travel to Aevium immediately after the calamity? And if he was released from the hospital, does that mean he's not really dead? If so, where/who is he?

Edit: it's also possible that he somehow fell into the voidal chasm.

I think the 59 year old is Deagan. He looked substantially older than Kenneth in WLL.

Another possibly related note I've been meaning to ask about. Alexandra said she couldn't bear to "face" the guy who lives in Oblitus Town. Why? Does it maybe have to do with Deagan? That gym there seems like it might have been his Dark Gym? We never learned where it was supposed to be located. . . It's also interesting Deagan is dark skinned like Alexandra and Damien but Kenneth isn't. It's just, odd to me. Because the brothers don't resemble each other AT ALL. Maybe 4 Island has greater significance than we might assume, but that feels like a bit of a big stretch.

• Veterans
2 hours ago, Feng Lei said:

It's also interesting Deagan is dark skinned like Alexandra and Damien but Kenneth isn't. It's just, odd to me. Because the brothers don't resemble each other AT ALL.

The one time I'm actually gonna respond to this topic to clarify something; it's really just genetics! Kenneth and Deagan are basically the in-game equivalent of hispanic, and hispanic people vary quite a bit in skin tone. Deagan and Kenneth likely have different complexions as the result of their parents having different complexions as well, kinda like how Amber inherited Deagan's complexion while Tesla's skin is lighter than Amber's.

And uh... Let's not mention that Kenneth's been through some shit. His health absolutely has taken a huge toll over the course of time -- He's a lot paler as Keta as he probably would've been had he been healthier.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I forgot about Oblitus town. Is the lore behind it that it was depopulated just because everyone moved to Grand Dream City? Because that's weird. It obviously didn't exist before the calamity (nothing did, except maybe for Grand Dream). And 40 years is an awfully short amount of time for a town to spring up from the ground and then be depopulated--especially when the cause of the population loss is a nearby big city that's older than the town itself.

Realization: that diary about the Yveltal in Sheridan Wetlands. It was obviously written by Madame X, and the "he" it referenced was Indriad. Madame X had to "find a way to destroy Yveltal while also preventing the impending doom" that its death would cause. Her solution? She destroyed it, but used the soul stone to keep it alive, thereby keeping the world from being destroyed. And she now has Indriad's Yveltal, or at least its ghost.

• Upvote 1

Amanda seems to know things about the MC. And even the MC doesn't remember that they are from the region. But Amanda mentions MC's return to the region to Melia. And since she is a robot/android, she could have been made by those scientists who either started the interceptor project, or do research on it. 

3 hours ago, Crystalrage said:

Amanda seems to know things about the MC. And even the MC doesn't remember that they are from the region. But Amanda mentions MC's return to the region to Melia. And since she is a robot/android, she could have been made by those scientists who either started the interceptor project, or do research on it. 

That’s not a bad idea, but the timeline doesn’t seem to track, does it? Amanda says their plan has been in motion shortly before the MC returned to Aevium. 

But I’m pretty sure the Interceptor project is much older than that (at least Garufa old).

• Veterans
On 9/1/2020 at 8:06 PM, Display name said:

Yeah and one detail that gets ignored is that the protag and nancy were coming from unova

16 hours ago, Between Life and Death said:

Wait, they were? When is that said?

ok i lied not my only time responding to this thread, but i'd not look into this too deep considering that this bit of information has become obsolete in the current iteration of the game (and any future ones as well). While this was indeed something mentioned during the game's intro on the S.S. Oceana in older versions, it's no longer accurate and it's probably best to just let it slide! It's a remnant of the older versions of the game and no longer holds any value lmao

• Like 3