Pokemon Desolation Episode 5

Caz

• Developers

Quick Update

Hey guys, quick update. The Beta will be rolling out late next week if all goes according to plan. Hopefully, the game will be ready for a public release within a week or two after that. Thanks for your patience, I know it's been a long wait.

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 1

i don't like Scarlet either but is because the type of character she is. i don't think that Scarlet betray come out of nothing and that the character changed dramatically (when i read team cresent objetive i instantly related it a bit to Scarlet and when she side with crecent to be honest, i expected it), she always was a depresive/weak character maybe was "happy" but always feel like a "fake smile" because she always end her dialoges with negative things about herself also she has a good contrast with Ava (this may make us like Ava even more and hate Scarlet more xd) where Scarlet is negative and weak Ava is positive and strong (example, at the very beginning when both are runing on the beach) maybe Scarlet need more personal scens to empatise more with her (like the scene with Ava on her room in the ship or when she ask you if you think that what scarlet do was right) maybe use the cliche of the princess that need to be rescued with a wild pokemon attacking her or a grunt from one of the teams (this while make me hate her more xd but maybe help to feel her like someone that need to be protected and not just someone weak that is complainig about herself)

Also about team cresent objetive when you related it to the dialogue at the beginning (when you start a new game) i think that is awesome, made me think a lot of things xd

in animation there is a concept called anticipation and is not only used to the animation itself but to the story too, you anticipate the important things so they don't feel like they come out of nothing, i think that desolation have it and i like how is implemented but maybe need a little more

like when you tell the team cresent objetive maybe you can put npc that speak of a perfect dream world or that they are happy when having a good dream like a random thing so people will have dreams related to the game in some part of their mind and when they are at this point of the game they will feel it familiar (hope it make sense sorry for my bad english ._.), also you let the player know about darkai perfection, the stone, and team creasent objetive in almost the same dialoge, (plus some shiv backstory but since they are different things i kind of like the two stories at the same scene) this make darkrai perfection lost protagonism and make it feel a bit like a tool argument to justify the other argument, if you speak first of perfect darkrai in a previous scene (maybe something that only the player see but not the protagonist, a scene of a character speaking of it or read it on a book or wathever that you like and feel that fit more the game) the player while have time to think about it and process the info and after some gaming when they get to the dialoge that tells team cresent objetive the player while relate the two things by themselves and while make more sense to them

About the hard of the gym leaders i like to have to give it more than one try xd (maybe a dificult choise like rebon or rej have easy,normal,hard (really don't know how to say this in english so hope it make sense._.)) for the fire gym leader we have wooper(water and earth) aviable that was a very good pokemon to defeat them, maybe add a weak fight wild pokemon that people can catch on that rute where we figth tristan? 

i use the froslass (ghost type) with hail(buy it wiht credits) and blizard(don't remember where i get it xd), and we have the rock smach tm with 75 that lower def ._.

Well this is just my opinion hope it was useful, at least one part xd (and readablee xd really sorry for all the grammatical mistake)

also i have a problem with my save file, I had a script crash when i was healing my team and when i load the game i'm unable to move ;u; help

thanks xd

Edited by Arkiel

12 hours ago, Caz said:

Quick Update

Hey guys, quick update. The Beta will be rolling out late next week if all goes according to plan. Hopefully, the game will be ready for a public release within a week or two after that. Thanks for your patience, I know it's been a long wait.

Well darn... was hoping this week would be the week for your release, I took my vacation from my job and everything. Oh well 😓😞

• Developers
54 minutes ago, espeon860 said:

are there going to be more link stones in version 4?

You will be able to buy them with Credits in Episode 4. Better save up.

• Developers
1 hour ago, Lord C said:

Will Desolation have its own section like Rejuvenation after ep 4?

There are talks. Nothing more as of yet.

1 hour ago, Dypatome said:

Likely, no. Recently, I read that it'll be more likely to gain one after episode 5 is released, but that's still a long ways off.

I imagine this to be what will happen.

• Developers
17 minutes ago, Jan said:

A message from me to @Caz:

Regardless whether or not this post has affected you in the way posts like this have affected me, I want you to take this as inspiration. I want you to take this as motivation to prove that your game is what you care about and what you're passionate about. I applaud you for putting time into making Desolation, and I am proud of what you were able to accomplish.  As a fellow game developer I know how much this project means to you. I know you'll have minimal time to work on this game in the future, but put everything you've got into making this now, while you still can. You won't regret any of it. I'll support you always! 

-Jan

Ily <3 Play the game already bro

Edited by Caz

Normally I don't jump into regards of this but given my position of how I used to do a lot of constructive criticism in the young writing world along with uhh...knowing quite a bit of how game creating works: I should jump in. I'm not going to go too far into this, but yeah, I've been there even well because the hardest part of any game is building it the first time. Revising and redoing sections of it is easy to do over time as you get better, but acquiring those skills takes time and sometimes you even miss stuff which is why criticism can be helpful. Criticism is to inform and help improve the game, not say whatever you want. Having an understanding of how making a game works really helped how I'd review and help other people out compared to before I did the whole mod stuff. If the guy really knew what he was talking about, terms such as pacing, visuals, and word choice would've been used to explain what he was saying.

And I know I said before I want to play Desolation (like maybe I forgot to post it, but let's pretend I did if I didn't), but unfortunately I have a lot of things that suck up my free time. And making a game takes a very, very long time. I've seen where this game started out and it's come a very long way from episode 1, but after that, I know like next to nothing about the game, but it's quite the talk that I feel like I see it discussed more than Rejuv at times. But anyways, don't worry too much if you get posts like that (I'm the weird guy who gets more of a kick out of it because I can't take them seriously when the give criticism in that manner) because it's inevitable. Just remember how far you've come and if you keep chipping at it over time, you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Oh I know it's really late down the line, but here are two features really well liked from Hardcore (they aren't hard to make either) you might want to consider:

-the Level Limiter: I still have one kink in this system, but the concept is merely to stop Pokemon from leveling until they earn a gym badge (though I used the defeat the gym leader as my reason for level changes). But the idea behind this is to make grinding a little less tedious because let's face it: to grind up weak Pokemon you have to use a stronger Pokemon and all that does is add a tedious use of common candies or fighting the disobedience system.

-the Item Ban: I can never give this thing a good name, but it merely removes all items in battle (ie opponents don't potion spam and players can't access their bags). This one actually surprised me as I thought things would be impossible since I normally use a lot of items in battle, but somehow removing items from the opponent balances this thing out.

I have only one greivance here---imo Desolation's intro is at least twice as good as rejuvenation's. why?

Because it's less than half as long.

I ended up spoilering this because it's mostly just salt.

with this many choices in pokemon and story, you want to have a concise introduction so your first 20 minutes of gameplay aren't just walking around talking to people and stealing their stuff. Also, team Xen's Deoxys takeover is just ridiculous. How am I supposed to see xen as a reasonable enemy when they've got dozens of a pokemon most people don't know exists. Rejuvenation's beginning just drops you into the deep end of Wierd Plot Stuff right off the bat, then puts you out in gearen, which has absolutely zero sense of purpose, progression, or even good design sense. c'mon, the pokemart is just out in the open? and like 4 blocks from the pokemon center???? It took me a guide just to go find some more pokeballs after a paras ate them all. I had no idea of where to go at all, especially since when you get to the train you're just turned away. Reborn City's Onyx ward is just a stylized, edgy L-shape. I haven't seen blackview yet but at least it won't be my very first area like the other two. I will agree, though, Connor needs work. Aside from the style, it has all the things that make Charlotte debatable the hardest fight in reborn. A similar setup in Insurgence is why I quit that game...that and chlorophyll sleep powder bulbasaur (what the f?)

In terms of mood, I don't mind Desolation being edgy. In a game about choices, I feel like the choices need to have weight for the rep mechanic to work. I personally like it better than Rejuvenation's anime-ish style, with signature moves and the bad guys summoning legendaries and never knowing what's going on, but that's just my taste.

Imo Deso's single worst quality is the wild-encounter scaling. by the time you're strong enough to face the wild encounters and grind on them, you're strong enough to roll over the whole area.

Edited by doombotmecha

Probably my biggest pet peeve is people throwing out the word 'edgy' to describe anything even remotely resembling dark. But I'm sleepy and that's another rant for another day (if ever), but I'll just simply say this: Desolation is NOT edgy.

There's a pretty big difference between using death (or the implication thereof) as a plot device, and using it to make the world seem dark in general (often to utterly ridiculous effect in the end), and Desolation hasn't crossed that line. There's only one character that teeters dangerously close to that, but it's pretty clearly the entire point of that character existing, I suppose.

Edited by Alilatias
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DemICE said:

if i ever realised the fangame i have in mind, i might gain the nickname "edgelord" by the communty  with the way the stereotype is going towards

Edgy isn't a matter of being dark or having dark things alone. It's that combined with writing.

You can put a bunch of cliches in a story and make it awesome if you know what to do. Conversely, you can be creative but ruin it with your writing. That's what makes dark things edgy

15 minutes ago, Lord C said:

Edgy isn't a matter of being dark or having dark things alone. It's that combined with writing.

You can put a bunch of cliches in a story and make it awesome if you know what to do. Conversely, you can be creative but ruin it with your writing. That's what makes dark things edgy

with what u said in mind,  would you consider The Walking Dead edgy?

yes me again xd

i have a problem with my save file, but don't know if this one has solution ;u;

Spoiler

i just save before battle a boss pkmn (trevenant for the dagger mission) but reset after defeat it cuz i wanted the ev on other pkm 

when i load i got this

bu.png

and the game close

here is the save file Game.rxdata sorry for the troubles and thanks

8 hours ago, Arkiel said:

yes me again xd

i have a problem with my save file, but don't know if this one has solution ;u;

Hide contents

i just save before battle a boss pkmn (trevenant for the dagger mission) but reset after defeat it cuz i wanted the ev on other pkm 

when i load i got this

bu.png

and the game close

here is the save file Game.rxdata sorry for the troubles and thanks

your save file works fine on my end, try loading this

Game.rxdata