The Last, Only, and Very Final X% Hype Thread

Amethyst

Cain's innuendos are not that hard. TERRA however, is a whole other animal. For example, when she gives you the Bulldoze TM, she plays around the word "bullshit" and bulldoze. In spanish, you don't have ANY word to play around "Terratemblor" (the spanish name for bulldoze). Like, there's only a drug called "Terramicina", but that's it, the other words just don't fit with the joke

Edited by Gastronely

9 hours ago, Gastronely said:

Cain's innuendos are not that hard. TERRA however, is a whole other animal. For example, when she gives you the Bulldoze TM, she plays around the word "bullshit" and bulldoze. In spanish, you don't have ANY word to play around "Terratemblor" (the spanish name for bulldoze). Like, there's only a drug called "Terramicina", but that's it, the other words just don't fit with the joke

hahaha, yeah, i know....might be a bit easier in german....the german name for the Bulldoze move is "Dampfwalze" and since Terra makes jokes about bulldoze and bullshit, this is is actually easy to use, as there is this german phrase that goes "die Kacke am dampfen", which loosely translates to "the shit is real" in a sense of things getting out of control.

Making something out of Terra's 1337 sp34k is far worse....The way this "speech" pattern was used by german wannabe "pro gamers", who desperately tried to be cool, it always ended up in being half german, half "english" sentences, which actually looked as dumb as it sounds.... 1337 sp34k was so cool it froze to death and went extinct....Until Ame decided that it would be a fitting speech pattern for Terra....that's grand master level of necromancy! No seriously, how many puppies did Ame sacrifice to summon this back from hell?

3 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

hahaha, yeah, i know....might be a bit easier in german....the german name for the Bulldoze move is "Dampfwalze" and since Terra makes jokes about bulldoze and bullshit, this is is actually easy to use, as there is this german phrase that goes "die Kacke am dampfen", which loosely translates to "the shit is real" in a sense of things getting out of control.

Making something out of Terra's 1337 sp34k is far worse....The way this "speech" pattern was used by german wannabe "pro gamers", who desperately tried to be cool, it always ended up in being half german, half "english" sentences, which actually looked as dumb as it sounds.... 1337 sp34k was so cool it froze to death and went extinct....Until Ame decided that it would be a fitting speech pattern for Terra....that's grand master level of necromancy! No seriously, how many puppies did Ame sacrifice to summon this back from hell?

Puppies, none. Budews, on the other hand...

I kept thinking about Heather's team and finally I came up with an idea. It's gonna be a Sky Battle, with the Sky Field, and with Pokemon restrictions of the Sky Battle format in gen 6. Tis would fit really well with her Salamence, because the Sky Terrain can boost its Mega Evolution's power to even more insane levels. Also, it can throw the player off guard. Imagine walking to her battle room, only to have 3 of your Pokemons eligible for battle. Even worse, you can be immediately disqualified and blacked out if you don't have any eligible Pokemons.

1 hour ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I kept thinking about Heather's team and finally I came up with an idea. It's gonna be a Sky Battle, with the Sky Field, and with Pokemon restrictions of the Sky Battle format in gen 6. Tis would fit really well with her Salamence, because the Sky Terrain can boost its Mega Evolution's power to even more insane levels. Also, it can throw the player off guard. Imagine walking to her battle room, only to have 3 of your Pokemons eligible for battle. Even worse, you can be immediately disqualified and blacked out if you don't have any eligible Pokemons.

The Sky Field is only a thing in Rejuvenation, and i don't think Ame will implement more fields into the game. That said, it's almost confirmed that Heather will be battled in the Mountain, thanks to her proximity to that field (the Mountain Field is found right after Corey's Gym), and the buffs that thid field gives to flying types. And the Sky Battle format? That just seems like artificial difficulty. It wouldn't make sense that you'd have to bring 6 flying (counting levitate) Pokemon to the E4, since that raises the difficulty by just limiting the player's options. And as i said before: Reborn doesn't have artificial difficulty

Edited by Gastronely

Technically any kind of difficulty is artificial difficulty. The whole game is artificial.

No. This is not the point. Artificial difficulty is when you have to rely on strategies that: 1. Limit your possible options to create difficulty, or 2. Creating luck based strategies. That idea for the Sky Battle creates artificial difficulty, since you'd have to use approximately only a pool of 60 pokemon. And how would you deal with the other E4 members? What if you don't have ANY flying pokemon? Would you have to train 6 more Pokemon JUST for one battle? That's what i mean about artificial difficulty, it's not you being a dummy and not strategizing, it's just the game being a jerk. 

PD: sorry if may have come across as rude trourough this comment, i deeply apologize if i got heated up >_<

I'm with Gastro and Cass on this one. Sky battle, or any other system that limits your choice of Pokémon for the Elite Four would only piss people off and create a rather unnecessary artificial diffuculty.

Yes, you could argue that any kind of game difficulty is artificial, as the whole game is, but as Gastro said, that is not really a valid point in terms of this question.

No matter how strong/difficult any given opponent in the story is, there hasn't been a single unfair fight that would have been difficult because you couldn't prepare the right team for that fight.

2 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

I'm with Gastro and Cass on this one. Sky battle, or any other system that limits your choice of Pokémon for the Elite Four would only piss people off and create a rather unnecessary artificial diffuculty.

Yes, you could argue that any kind of game difficulty is artificial, as the whole game is, but that is not really a valid point in terms of this question.

No matter how strong/difficult any given opponent in the story is, there hasn't been a single unfair fight that would have been difficult because you couldn't prepare the right team for that fight.

Well, the Serra battle was horrible and luck based, but there were A LOT of options to counter her. Breaking the field with Earthquake, Using Nature Power, using Steel types like Klinklang or Escavalier were good options for me. But the point is that a game that just doesn't have a way out isn't a good game for the sake of just being difficult

Edited by Gastronely

4 minutes ago, Gastronely said:

Well, the Serra battle was horrible and luck based, but there were A LOT of options to counter her. Breaking the field with Earthquake, Using Nature Power, using Steel types like Klinklang or Escavalier were good options for me. But the point is that a game that just doesn't have a way out isn't a good game for the sake of just being difficult

Nah, Serra isn't that bad. As you said, there are A LOT of options to counter her, and THAT is exactly why it can't be considered unfair or even luck based at all. It's easy to make use of her field effect for yourself, and it's easy to get rid of her field effect, if you chose not to use it for yourself.

The only people who would really struggle agains Serra are those who either want to do it the hard way, or people who don't understand how field effects work at all. The latter being quite amazing on its own, as making it all the way to Serra without understanding anything about field effects is Ash Ketchum level of dumb luck....

5 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

Yes, you could argue that any kind of game difficulty is artificial, as the whole game is, but as Gastro said, that is not really a valid point in terms of this question.

Artificial difficulty is a vague term and looking it up really doesn't apply much to RPGs and especially to this engine so I'm going to avoid the discussion here. I agree the sky battle idea is ridiculous as the E4 system is designed to limit your Pokemon already (ie no rotation team). It's not something I really should see people worrying about because if I have plans on how to make this work with Redux, do you really think Ame doesn't have a solid idea what the fight is going to be like? I mean has Reborn really delivered so far. I assume it has otherwise most of you reading this wouldn't still be around.

As for the last part, there has been one fight. Well more like it was a series of events that piled up and outright just became a massive glaring flaw when the Glass Gauntlet rolled around. I mean we have seen thread after thread and complaint after complaint anyone who says it isn't a problem is just kidding with themselves. And it was changed twice before a public release. And the biggest issue wasn't the fights difficulty but honestly pretty much 0 indication we needed to prepare for this. Though I would consider this more poor direction over "unfair difficulty" or "artificial difficulty".

Considering this is Reborn we are talking about, the Elite Four will be a completely different level of challenge than what we knew from the official games anyway. Assuming that Reborn will stick to how the Elite Four works in the official games.

However, like i said, this is Reborn we are talking about, and i would not be surprised if Ame decided to do her own thing with the Elite Four.

It would be quite the difficult task to make each Elite Four fight as challenging as possible, while still trying to make it possible to beat four entirely different teams with just one team of six Pokémon. If you want to keep Reborn's usual level of balance between challenge and fairness, you might end up with four opponents that are not that strong on their own, but are challenging as a whole because you have to balance your own team in a way that you can handle all four of them in a row.

I can imagine Ame not being happy with this, so she may have created her own concept of the Elite Four entirely...

If it were me, i would have gone with a concept that allows for each member being a really strong challenge on their own, but in turn allowing the player a limited access to healing and exchanging Pokémon between battles. You can't freely change your whole team for each fight, but maybe replace one or two Pokémon on your team after each battle, and you can't heal your full team, but only full heal one or two Pokémon of your choice between each battle. Something like that would allow for stronger individual Elite Four fights.

That would be my personal thoughts on the Elite Four. What's your opinion?

3 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

while still trying to make it possible to beat four entirely different teams with just one team of six Pokémon.

I have a legally acquired team that can steamroll the whole Glass Gauntlet, with no X item boost. Pretty sure it's not the only team that can do it. And since every non-legendary Pokemons are available now, I dont think Ame would care much about this. She even gives us a freaking Poipole. Im not sure how much Naganadel is capable of solo sweeping, but Beast Boost is pretty scary already.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

I have a legally acquired team that can steamroll the whole Glass Gauntlet, with no X item boost. Pretty sure it's not the only team that can do it. And since every non-legendary Pokemons are available now, I dont think Ame would care much about this. She even gives us a freaking Poipole. Im not sure how much Naganadel is capable of solo sweeping, but Beast Boost is pretty scary already.

Well, you are not wrong about that. It is certainly possible to create teams that can steamroll through the late game. However, the glass gauntlet can't be compared to the Elite Four in the same way, since the glass gauntlet is fought on the same field effect for every battle, and you are fighting with a partner. Only the second battle you fight alone, if i am not mistaken.... The Elite Four on the other hand will have their own field effect for each of them, and you will be fighting them on your own.

This is just my opinion (again), but fighting multiple battles in a row on the same field, with none of them specialized to that field, is something different than fighting four different opponents, all of them on a different field effect, with teams that are designed to make use of their respective fields.

Yes, Naganadel might be very strong, but i guess we will have to wait and see how this will play out....

Also, on a side note.....i just tried to translate Shade's lines on the Gossip Gardevoir Interview Intermission.....It's just 4 short lines......but it took me about an hour to create something that rhymes AND doesn't drift off too far....

Next up is an interview with Terra......i am......excited.......yay?

35 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

How do you plan to translate the RAWRRRRRRR

not at all^^

Yes, i have already decided that there will be some phrases that i won't touch. I am, for example, still be calling the show Gossip Gardevoir's Interview Intermission, as i like the sound of that. The only change i will do there is to spell Gardevoir with its german name, which is Guardevoir. That is just one letter more, so no biggies there.

And i already translated that interview with Terra. Not that much of a deal compared to her usual dialogues. I am also trying to capture the characters different speech patterns and dialects as much as possible and find matching german counterparts. Hardy for example kinda reminds me of sailors dialect from northern germany.

6 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

the Elite Four will be a completely different level of challenge than what we knew from the official games anyway

How bout their using Max Reives in addition to Full Restore. Just to casually flip off those who think they can win just through pure outlasting.

23 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

If it were a particular kind of game like Snakewood, you could pull something off like that under the guise of a joke regarding game balance. It would be infuriating, but also be so out-of-the-blue, it might mesh with it somehow. In Reborn, however, it would sour everything up until that because it's an actual game, with difficulty as a main focus. So proooooobably don't.

9 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

Considering this is Reborn we are talking about, the Elite Four will be a completely different level of challenge than what we knew from the official games anyway. Assuming that Reborn will stick to how the Elite Four works in the official games.

However, like i said, this is Reborn we are talking about, and i would not be surprised if Ame decided to do her own thing with the Elite Four.

It would be quite the difficult task to make each Elite Four fight as challenging as possible, while still trying to make it possible to beat four entirely different teams with just one team of six Pokémon. If you want to keep Reborn's usual level of balance between challenge and fairness, you might end up with four opponents that are not that strong on their own, but are challenging as a whole because you have to balance your own team in a way that you can handle all four of them in a row.

I can imagine Ame not being happy with this, so she may have created her own concept of the Elite Four entirely...

If it were me, i would have gone with a concept that allows for each member being a really strong challenge on their own, but in turn allowing the player a limited access to healing and exchanging Pokémon between battles. You can't freely change your whole team for each fight, but maybe replace one or two Pokémon on your team after each battle, and you can't heal your full team, but only full heal one or two Pokémon of your choice between each battle. Something like that would allow for stronger individual Elite Four fights.

That would be my personal thoughts on the Elite Four. What's your opinion?

While Reborn is more difficult then normal for Pokemon games and I get it is some of the appeal for some players, I don't think Ame will or should mess with E4 formula besides adding the filed effects. Ame has wonderfully made Reborn in such a way that unlike most fan games it actually fits the game's world, I doubt she throw that sense of legitimacy in the final hour just to make things more difficult. As for the idea itself I am really against the idea that you should be able to switch at all, not only is it one of the key features that makes the endgame of Pokemon stand out, it tempts the game designer into character select forcing (which I'm against on the very principal) and not all the Pokemon you used would be recognized in the Hall of Fame. As for the subject of healing, from the way you make it sound you would limit item use, which is not only a unfair restriction (as that has never been the case before) but also limits Pokemon selection and strategies. So far Reborn has been able to be completed without me having to switch my team, (even if that stubbornness has made things harder for me in the long run) I rather keep it that way.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Swordsman said:

not all the Pokemon you used would be recognized in the Hall of Fame.

I totally forgot about that part^^ It's been a while since i played any official games.

38 minutes ago, The Swordsman said:

you make it sound you would limit item use

Never said that. I was talking about limited use of a healing machine/Pokémon-Center between battles. Well, it's possible to missunderstand the way i phrased it, soooo....you have a point.

All in all i would not mind a "regular" Elite Four formula, of course, with Reborn's own taste, field effects. But playing around with a "what if" scenario does have it's own charm, don't you think?

But of course, you are right about Ame making Reborn in a way that it fits into the world of Pokémon, and even makes one wonder why things like field effects have never been a thing in official games in the first place. In the Anime and the different Manga, the characters are making use of their surroundings in battle. In the games however it doesn't matter where you are, the fights are always the same.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:06 PM, ShogokiX said:

Well, for now i am sticking to not translate character names, but names of places will be translated, as this is common in the real world as well. And obviously i am translating everything that has its own name in other languages, like Pokémon, moves, abilities, items.....

But just like i said, this is a side project of mine, and currently i am at all the lines of Gossip Gardevoir on TV, as that is one of the first things in the extracted text files.....

Two of the things that i have noticed to be rather difficult to translate are jokes (especially puns) and Cain's singing.

In terms of jokes you will want to translate it in a way that it keeps its meaning for the context of the dialogue, but still be funny.

As for Cain's singing you may know what Pokémon Song that is, and you know which lines you are looking for. But these lines also have to match the context again, so you might need take another part of the same song to match that.

Yes, Terra will be absolute NIGHTMARE to translate, as will Cain's sex related jokes be, at least in some cases....but i will either make something out of it, or start verbally going commando on Terra's lines XD

What they talk seems interesting to me ^^

I would like to add that I am also having trouble balancing the translation and showing what was really wanted. An example of this would be in this part:

I don't remember when exactly. But in one part of the game the Meteor Grunts they start reciting a motto (kind of like Team Rocket's in the anime).

The thing is that the English words that are used all rhyme with each other, but for the Spanish language it is something completely different, and its translation obviously shows its translated version, without rhymes or anything.

I could calmly leave it as it is (translated in a simple way), but the magic in all of it is lost, and that's what I least want:(

Besides I'm not good at creating:p

image.png.e1559d8d0ced3f7af6b66ea092717f23.png

I do not know if this motto comes back later or if they only mention it that time.

2 hours ago, Fernan100tifiko said:

What they talk seems interesting to me ^^

I would like to add that I am also having trouble balancing the translation and showing what was really wanted. An example of this would be in this part:

I don't remember when exactly. But in one part of the game the Meteor Grunts they start reciting a motto (kind of like Team Rocket's in the anime).

The thing is that the English words that are used all rhyme with each other, but for the Spanish language it is something completely different, and its translation obviously shows its translated version, without rhymes or anything.

I could calmly leave it as it is (translated in a simple way), but the magic in all of it is lost, and that's what I least want:(

Besides I'm not good at creating:p

image.png.e1559d8d0ced3f7af6b66ea092717f23.png

I do not know if this motto comes back later or if they only mention it that time.

Nope, they say that farther in the game, but i might help you out with that. Still, that's why the Reborn Español forum exists, am i right?