Dev Blog | V11 Status Thread

Jan

i would imagine we will still be able to continue from out v10 save files if one is present when v11 is released yes? or will we have to start from scratch and also a big thing im sure a few people at least, me being one of them is curious about is are there plans for more badges to be obtainable in v11 and if so how many?

On jan's tumblr, he mentioned that there are 16 or 17 episodes planned, (depending on whether he decides the postgame is a seperate episode from the end of the plot of not, which will probably depent on how well Reborn EP19's developpement goes(last badge+league+postgame(known from ame's tumblr)))

1 of these will have 2 badges, and 1 of these will be story only and have none, the rest will have 1 badge(obviously if 16 and 17 are split 17 will also have no badges.).

14 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

i would imagine we will still be able to continue from out v10 save files if one is present when v11 is released yes? or will we have to start from scratch and also a big thing im sure a few people at least, me being one of them is curious about is are there plans for more badges to be obtainable in v11 and if so how many?

You should be able to continue with your own save even when a new version is released.

15 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

1 hour ago, trailflare7 said:

You should be able to continue with your own save even when a new version is released.

It's always been that way.

7 hours ago, trailflare7 said:
22 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

That said, many people choose to restart anyway because there are generally changes to the game's past versions whether it's minor story updates as the story gets more fleshed out, or because an entire zone got revamped (take Amethyst cave and route 2 in V9 or Wispy ruins in V10). It's also possible to see things they missed the first time, or to make different decisions in a new play through. For example, I took the Erin route on my normal playthrough, and during a recent Intense playthrough, I took the Flora route.

After playing around with the PBS files in V10, could I ask to possibly bring into consideration the re-inclusion of some of the previous "Jackpot starters", but as regular/slightly hidden options. 

For starters, I think there is a lot of appeal for different starters in fangames. The jackpot kiddos were pretty popular as evidenced by the ubiquitous questions of "How to get Ralts/Eevee/Jang'mo". I personally thought their inclusion brought a breath of fresh air from the same 21 guys that are in almost every fangame featured on this site. 

Another thing is that I think they fit perfectly fine into the balance of the game. Aside from Riolu, none of the starters actually broke the game, especially when compared to the readily available available Blaziken and Greninja. For example, Axew/Jang'mo stopping power in their final evolution was balanced by the fact that they would reach their potential far later than the other starters. With the current Level system, Jang'mo can only evolve into his final form after Valerie, which can potentially be 2 whole gyms after the latest evolving Starters (with the help of 1 rare candy) Axew needs another badge to evolve (at least without 3 rare candies, which isn't necessarily a bad idea). Not to mention their nigh atrocious level up movepools. Between the two, Axew gets is best moves earlier than Jang, but it still only in its first form by Dragon Dance. Jang'mo, movepool flat out sucks until it gets Sky Uppercut on evolution... 30 levels after you got it. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but pseudo legendaries are rarely that good in main game pokemon games because they continue to be weak when your other guys start becoming stronger. That was the initial idea behind them, Very storng, but hard to train. It's a nice balancing touch that is often underappreciated given how late they're attained.

I'm not that big on Eevee, but it is an incredibly customizable Pokemon that can evolve early with the right investment. Unlike Lucario, however. All of eevee's evolutions are hindered by poor movevpools as the game goes on. The trade-off here would be that you get more early-game strength, but you're Pokemon caps out in terms of potential much earlier than other starters; it's  the opposite of what happens with the Dragons.

Ralts was sort of an interesting mdidle of the road choice, where it grew in a similar fashion to the other starters (albeit with a slower level curve) but suffered a Early game, unlike Eevee's good Earlygame, and the Dragons, who only start to falter past Gym 2. Ralts was balanced by its rather shaky start offsetting its growth into a powerful Special attacker

Those are just the examples I know of, but there are plenty of other pokemon that could be chosen as "different" starter choices. Pokemon like Starly, Munchlax, Timburr, or Flabebe could make good alternatives. All in all, I just really liked the idea of idiosyncratic starters. The only thing holding them back prior was the tedious jackpot mechanic, and now that it's gone, I'm a little wistful for the jackpot bunch. I understand if you want to keep the change permanent, but I do think that their inclusion could be something to consider as a side note.

• Like 1

I'm only going to say this for the sake of Jan and for a lot of people who had to watch this but it was removed as it catered to people's obsession with gambling as this has a similar effect to a gacha game in which is messes with peoples heads. People would spend hours resetting just to get one of those mons to the point it was just unhealthy and very concerning.  It was never about the mons being broken and just how the average person was handling it. It was not a healthy systems for those who did aim for this, but for those who didn't, they weren't affected at all by this change.

I get people are upset a feature was taken away, but it's such a small feature that it doesn't really impact the experience of the game. It brings out a bad stimulus that it's one of those things that I really don't want to see again. People would spend 3 or 4 hours on something rather than actually enjoy the gaming experience that Jan put a lot of hard work into just for some silly Pokemon they'll get later.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Commander said:

I'm only going to say this for the sake of Jan and for a lot of people who had to watch this but it was removed as it catered to people's obsession with gambling as this has a similar effect to a gacha game in which is messes with peoples heads. People would spend hours resetting just to get one of those mons to the point it was just unhealthy and very concerning.  It was never about the mons being broken and just how the average person was handling it. It was not a healthy systems for those who did aim for this, but for those who didn't, they weren't affected at all by this change.

I get people are upset a feature was taken away, but it's such a small feature that it doesn't really impact the experience of the game. It brings out a bad stimulus that it's one of those things that I really don't want to see again. People would spend 3 or 4 hours on something rather than actually enjoy the gaming experience that Jan put a lot of hard work into just for some silly Pokemon they'll get later.

i am with you on that tbh i did it to see if i could work out differing teams and that (we all know most dragon types are alittle op tho slow to evo) 

Do you guys even sleep????

But seriously, this is way sooner than I expected. Jan you madman, I love and hate you so much.

Im gonna restart and play the whole game again like I do every time, aren't I?

16 hours ago, Commander said:

I'm afraid you get me wrong here. At no point in my post did I say that the gambling aspect of the Jackpot starters was a good thing. I think that the system was unnecessarily convoluted and gated otherwise fun choices behind a tedious soft-reset marathon. I want to make clear that I was only advocating the availability of those Pokemon to be obtained in a similar fashion to starters, not for the re-establishment of the Gacha-esque style that was present before. It is indeed a small feature, which is why I think one would be remiss for excluding it based on effort alone.

• Like 2

• Veterans

It's been a week, and y'all know what that means -- MORE SPRITE UPDATES!

Spoiler

vsTrainer166.png.d6de6b78907896ec8b801d34297cd2ab.pngvsTrainer166_1.png.fc3caeb6ac5b302b79e001854259aa08.pngVS vsTrainer7.png.745593c4acffdab7b96f828bb8ca2dc6.pngvsTrainer7_1.png.e696a14739b96e57a8dd704ba55f9aad.png

vsTrainer2.png.f6dc38c5b523e1fcf5dfcc842997cb0f.png VS vsTrainer8.png.f1f60799d996fb123434448c5477df79.png

vsTrainer113.png.74eac18910f076cce95eaae50ee1dbfb.png VS vsTrainer139.png.8820c392b843bf688236b4cb74f4af63.png

vsTrainer112.png.2fe2157c0f6451fabafefc91110c07fe.png VS vsTrainer141.png.2b20671389668258e9980b04cc44fd7c.png

This should be the last batch of them! At least, for existing characters. Some of the sprites got a bigger makeover than others, but regardless, they're still updates!

As for new characters in V11... I'm afraid those VS sprites are gonna remain a secret for now.

image.png.efc74975b00765449b16fa800ef1d34d.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Zumi said:

Hide contents

vsTrainer166.png.d6de6b78907896ec8b801d34297cd2ab.pngvsTrainer166_1.png.fc3caeb6ac5b302b79e001854259aa08.pngVS vsTrainer7.png.745593c4acffdab7b96f828bb8ca2dc6.pngvsTrainer7_1.png.e696a14739b96e57a8dd704ba55f9aad.png

vsTrainer2.png.f6dc38c5b523e1fcf5dfcc842997cb0f.png VS vsTrainer8.png.f1f60799d996fb123434448c5477df79.png

vsTrainer113.png.74eac18910f076cce95eaae50ee1dbfb.png VS vsTrainer139.png.8820c392b843bf688236b4cb74f4af63.png

vsTrainer112.png.2fe2157c0f6451fabafefc91110c07fe.png VS vsTrainer141.png.2b20671389668258e9980b04cc44fd7c.png

This should be the last batch of them! At least, for existing characters. Some of the sprites got a bigger makeover than others, but regardless, they're still updates!

As for new characters in V11... I'm afraid those VS sprites are gonna remain a secret for now.

image.png.efc74975b00765449b16fa800ef1d34d.png

Great job as usual Zumi, never cease to amaze (bars)

Dark red hair suits amber more in my opinion though

1 hour ago, Zumi said:

Hide contents

Love it! Good luck, can't wait! :]

What's this? I look away for a couple weeks, and suddenly my  girl Ana has textured hair? Man, and here i was making a big deal out of getting her eyes just a couple months ago! 😆

Nice to see that progress is being made, at least. Keep up the good work, folks!

4 hours ago, day said:

,,,,,,,,, is  V 11 OUT NOW?

Yes it is.Only for me though since im from the future.

2 minutes ago, Cerulean Azure Brawler said:

Can you make the next version longer and can you add something about the missing children also something on the protagonist?

Jan said that eveyone will get their chance to shine.Eventually it will be the MC's chance to do so.

2 minutes ago, Pozyher said:

Yes it is.Only for me though since im from the future.

Jan said that eveyone will get their chance to shine.Eventually it will be the MC's chance to do so.

Thanks Pozyher.

I wonder what these incredibly obvious screenshots mean 🤔

woof

Spoiler

D5NsAsf.png

cheep

Spoiler

zS7WYxn.png

roar

Spoiler

AaYsrP2.png

camel noise

Spoiler

PYG91qp.png

EDIT (because i was a bit unclear): To help, each pic shows off a change made at that point in the game regarding some teams. I'll even help more: in order, they are Gearen Sewers, Carotos Mountain, Kristilline, Teila!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I wonder what these incredibly obvious screenshots mean 🤔

woof

Reveal hidden contents

D5NsAsf.png

cheep

Reveal hidden contents

zS7WYxn.png

roar

Reveal hidden contents

AaYsrP2.png