Dev Blog | V11 Status Thread

Jan

15 minutes ago, Arlonen said:

I read this completely differently when I was presented with this choice. Melanie explicitly told you that you were not allowed to do nothing. By then choosing to do nothing, you prove that she has no power in this situation and you are calling her bluff. Which Melia then explains. It avoids the option that makes you look like a terrible person for dooming that reality (running) and you aren't giving up by choosing the option to hand over Melia. What I'm trying to get at is that situation can be read completely differently based on how you approach the situation. That's what I enjoy about that decision. it can be viewed completely differently by the player, and people then have their own opinions on what the right one is. As such, I wouldn't change a thing there, as it gives the player the ability to read into the situation as they wish.

I understand that's probably what Jan was getting at but I still think it's a very poor way of phrasing it and most people would not interpret it that way unless they already knew what each choice did. Even you said (albeit jokingly) that you selected the 3rd choice to be trollish without actually knowing what it meant and I've seen other people also select it for completely unrelated reasons. If you're expected to make it a choice, your options should be very clear and then you can see the consequences of that decision. It shouldn't be: "pick A, B or C and then we'll tell you what you picked". Especially since you're meant to be Melia while making the choice and she should know what she herself is thinking. It shouldn't be a mystery.

Also, I disagree that choosing to escape makes you look like a terrible person because if you think about it logically, going back to the original timeline saves millions and prevents the catastrophe so it actually benefits both you and the world. It's the correct choice and I stand by it.

• Global Mods
On 7/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, Jan said:

I always appreciate [constructive] criticism. Even though I am quiet, I do read everything that's said.  In terms of story, I don't generally change what's already been established, but I do adjust things to make things better. Obviously, I'm not perfect and things I do could be improved on and I realize that (Self improvement is the whole goal with this project anyway). Which is why I constantly make changes between versions. As previously mentioned, this is a free game and unfortunately I don't have the time I want to constantly put my all into this game. I am trying my best. That being said, I wanted to thank everyone for being patient with me. I understand that the game takes quite a long time to work on and sometimes versions feel short, but always know that I'm working on it.  

You are the best. Eloquent my friend. Eloquent.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:38 PM, Gheist said:

I understand that's probably what Jan was getting at but I still think it's a very poor way of phrasing it and most people would not interpret it that way unless they already knew what each choice did. Even you said (albeit jokingly) that you selected the 3rd choice to be trollish without actually knowing what it meant and I've seen other people also select it for completely unrelated reasons. If you're expected to make it a choice, your options should be very clear and then you can see the consequences of that decision. It shouldn't be: "pick A, B or C and then we'll tell you what you picked". Especially since you're meant to be Melia while making the choice and she should know what she herself is thinking. It shouldn't be a mystery.

Also, I disagree that choosing to escape makes you look like a terrible person because if you think about it logically, going back to the original timeline saves millions and prevents the catastrophe so it actually benefits both you and the world. It's the correct choice and I stand by it.

Uh, technically it does make you look like a terrible person because it dooms that timeline, and each timeline is its own universe (clearly as shown by the cutscene that occurs after returning to the original timeline if you chose to Do Nothing). Going back to the past in the original timeline and undoing what caused the creation of the doomed timeline (which is what I'll call the timeline where the future is all destroyed and stuff) will not get rid of that timeline nor will it change it in any way, it simply puts Melia and the player character back on the course of the original timeline.

8 hours ago, AsNKrysis said:

Uh, technically it does make you look like a terrible person because it dooms that timeline, and each timeline is its own universe (clearly as shown by the cutscene that occurs after returning to the original timeline if you chose to Do Nothing). Going back to the past in the original timeline and undoing what caused the creation of the doomed timeline (which is what I'll call the timeline where the future is all destroyed and stuff) will not get rid of that timeline nor will it change it in any way, it simply puts Melia and the player character back on the course of the original timeline.

So the old timeline still exists even if you change the past and then never return to it? The original timeline you came from is the one where you went back a 2nd time and let Vivian do her incomplete spell. That means if you never return from the alt timeline, the OG would never come into existence in the first place creating a paradox.

Even if we ignore that, I assume the player and Melia still have important shit to do in the original timeline. Things that would save it from disaster which they wouldn't be able to do if they stayed in the alt timeline forever. And the OG timeline has many more people so again, that's the correct choice if your goal is to save as many people as possible.

And if you want to play the alternate universe game, going back to stop yourself from stopping Vivian could create yet another new alt universe where you save another

however many million people from the catastrophe. Either you create the OG timeline by going back or if the OG timeline is unaffected by your decision, you create a new timeline saving even more people.

8 hours ago, Gheist said:

So the old timeline still exists even if you change the past and then never return to it? The original timeline you came from is the one where you went back a 2nd time and let Vivian do her incomplete spell. That means if you never return from the alt timeline, the OG would never come into existence in the first place creating a paradox.

Even if we ignore that, I assume the player and Melia still have important shit to do in the original timeline. Things that would save it from disaster which they wouldn't be able to do if they stayed in the alt timeline forever. And the OG timeline has many more people so again, that's the correct choice if your goal is to save as many people as possible.

And if you want to play the alternate universe game, going back to stop yourself from stopping Vivian could create yet another new alt universe where you save another

however many million people from the catastrophe. Either you create the OG timeline by going back or if the OG timeline is unaffected by your decision, you create a new timeline saving even more people.

There isn't just two timelines. Based on how this game goes, I'm going to assume it follows multiverse theory where there are an infinite amount of universes (which can also equate to an infinite amount of timelines) as well as how each universes can be created based on choice. You say choosing to never return to the original timeline will screw over the original timeline, however that would not be the case. In that scenario, another universe(timeline) would be created that which follows the events of the player and Melia never returning from the alternate universe at all (pretty much the give the crystal to Melanie choice). The original timeline requires the player and Melia to be present and follow through the events of the game in order to move forward, so staying in the alternate universe forever would not get anyone screwed over in that timeline, however it would rather just stop that timeline all together until the player and Melia return. However, since there are also multiple universes for the alternate future as well, then the player and Melia staying in the alternate future forever would not screw over (or stop) the original timeline either since another player character and Melia will appear from a universe where they did escape the alternate future and continue the events of the game instead. So even if you stayed in the alternate universe forever, the original timeline would be fine.

29 minutes ago, AsNKrysis said:

There isn't just two timelines. Based on how this game goes, I'm going to assume it follows multiverse theory where there are an infinite amount of universes (which can also equate to an infinite amount of timelines) as well as how each universes can be created based on choice. You say choosing to never return to the original timeline will screw over the original timeline, however that would not be the case. In that scenario, another universe(timeline) would be created that which follows the events of the player and Melia never returning from the alternate universe at all (pretty much the give the crystal to Melanie choice). The original timeline requires the player and Melia to be present and follow through the events of the game in order to move forward, so staying in the alternate universe forever would not get anyone screwed over in that timeline, however it would rather just stop that timeline all together until the player and Melia return. However, since there are also multiple universes for the alternate future as well, then the player and Melia staying in the alternate future forever would not screw over (or stop) the original timeline either since another player character and Melia will appear from a universe where they did escape the alternate future and continue the events of the game instead. So even if you stayed in the alternate universe forever, the original timeline would be fine.

And this type of shit is why I tend not to like time travel stories. If there's an infinite amount of universes and these choices are gonna be made by another player/Melia no matter what I pick, it makes the whole thing seem inconsequential. If the original world would be fine because some other player/Melia would return there then I can just as easily say that me choosing to stay would doom that 3rd timeline that the 3rd player/Melia abandoned to go back to the OG timeline. So one alt timeline is getting doomed no matter what meaning I might as well take the better timeline for myself.

Your entire argument is basically that I should only focus on saving the alt timeline because that's the one I happen to be in at the present moment and some other player/Melia from another timeline will deal with the others. There's no guarantee that they will or that I won't create a paradox by not going back. From my understanding, the only reason the player and Melia didn't disappear already is because of the talismans Tiempa gave them. That implies that the world we came from doesn't exist anymore so I am actually dooming the OG timeline by not going back. That is why I am skeptical about your claim that it would be fine no matter what I pick.

54 minutes ago, Gheist said:

And this type of shit is why I tend not to like time travel stories. If there's an infinite amount of universes and these choices are gonna be made by another player/Melia no matter what I pick, it makes the whole thing seem inconsequential. If the original world would be fine because some other player/Melia would return there then I can just as easily say that me choosing to stay would doom that 3rd timeline that the 3rd player/Melia abandoned to go back to the OG timeline. So one alt timeline is getting doomed no matter what meaning I might as well take the better timeline for myself.

Your entire argument is basically that I should only focus on saving the alt timeline because that's the one I happen to be in at the present moment and some other player/Melia from another timeline will deal with the others. There's no guarantee that they will or that I won't create a paradox by not going back. From my understanding, the only reason the player and Melia didn't disappear already is because of the talismans Tiempa gave them. That implies that the world we came from doesn't exist anymore so I am actually dooming the OG timeline by not going back. That is why I am skeptical about your claim that it would be fine no matter what I pick.

I never said you should only focus on saving the alternate timeline. You made your choice, but I'm just stating a counterargument that you're not entirely screwing over one timeline or another by making different choices. You state your claim, I'm stating mine. And we're not given enough information on the talismans received by Tiempa (or rather, Tiempa in general) to understand how it works. It could very well be the way you perceive it as or another, which may or may never be stated in game.

Now, I don't want this argument to drag on for too long so I will admittedly say I am a coward and will now run away from this argument without any excuse. I could very well be wrong, but we never know how things truly are until they are stated as facts. Good debate, I bid you good day.

2 hours ago, AsNKrysis said:

I never said you should only focus on saving the alternate timeline.

You said multiple times that the original timeline would be fine even if I stayed in the alt universe forever. And in your first reply to me you said that choosing to go back is a bad choice because it means dooming the alt timeline. These two together (assuming you "should" make the "better" choice) imply that you should focus on the alt timeline and ignore the OG because that one will "be fine" regardless.

You made your choice, but I'm just stating a counterargument that you're not entirely screwing over one timeline or another by making different choices.

And I'm just stating my counter counterargument that you are dooming some timeline no matter what you pick and that you might as well go back to the OG one in that case. Although this is all assuming you are correct in your assessment of how these alternate universes work which I am not necessarily convinced of. I still think the original world is fucked in some form or another if you don't go back.

Now, I don't want this argument to drag on for too long so I will admittedly say I am a coward and will now run away from this argument without any excuse.

Well you initiated this so by all means stop posting any time you like and I definitely have no intention of sitting here talking to myself if there's nothing new to argue against so no worries there.

5 hours ago, Gheist said:
7 hours ago, AsNKrysis said:

I never said you should only focus on saving the alternate timeline.

You said multiple times that the original timeline would be fine even if I stayed in the alt universe forever. And in your first reply to me you said that choosing to go back is a bad choice because it means dooming the alt timeline. These two together (assuming you "should" make the "better" choice) imply that you should focus on the alt timeline and ignore the OG because that one will "be fine" regardless.

But assuming that Rejuv follows the multiverse theory there would also be a universe where the "Doomed Timeline" is fine. However that doesn't effect that the timeline will be doomed as it was created by a choice. It can be reversed but that will cause an alternative universe where you prevent you from stopping Vivian but that will create a universe where you couldn't achieve that. 

4 hours ago, Acecelgor said:

But assuming that Rejuv follows the multiverse theory there would also be a universe where the "Doomed Timeline" is fine. However that doesn't effect that the timeline will be doomed as it was created by a choice. It can be reversed but that will cause an alternative universe where you prevent you from stopping Vivian but that will create a universe where you couldn't achieve that.  

I am not following anything after your first sentence. You'll have to state things way more clearly and maybe explain what you mean by "the multiverse theory" as it could mean an infinite amount of universes that are existing or just a couple of universes for each time you time traveled.

Regardless of good or bad choices, I find the story getting more and more exciting and we're starting to get more of our questions answered with each passing episode(Same for Reborn). But like Melia said in Ver. 10 after the defeat of Melanie, "when one question is answered a million more are still left unanswered." Can't wait for Ver. 11, no rush!

15 hours ago, Sceptilespy said:

Y'all are thinking WAY to hard about this timeline stuff

yep i'm with you there tbh just role with the game pick what you think is right at the time and have fun as you play 

• 2 weeks later...

just wait for pikachu to learn thunderbolt at the least as much like kantonian raichu alolan raichu doesnt learn much of anything by level up and i dont believe the thunderbolt TM is currently available............................. not sure if the move relearner is capable of teaching it to alolan raichu or not but if so its worth a shot

On 7/25/2018 at 3:24 AM, ArcBolt27 said:

just wait for pikachu to learn thunderbolt at the least as much like kantonian raichu alolan raichu doesnt learn much of anything by level up and i dont believe the thunderbolt TM is currently available............................. not sure if the move relearner is capable of teaching it to alolan raichu or not but if so its worth a shot

Pikachu learns TB as late as level 42 which means he's pretty much dead weight until then. Tbh it's a lot better to just evolve him into A-Raichu, and then cough up a Heart Scale so you can just learn TB regardless of what level you are.

Before evolving tho, you should make sure to get Nasty Plot (as Pichu @L13), and possibly Nuzzle (Pikachu @L29) though it's not that much better than Thunder Wave.

ah ok, i honestly forgot if u could heart scale it on or not.......... but yea get at least nasty plot before anything

my A-Raichu iirc ran tbolt, twave, nasty plot and psychic with life orb but thats just me

• Developers

Okay, so if you were here for V9's(?) development, I played a small game. We're gonna play it again. It went like this: There are four images, and four poll "questions". Each question has four options. One of the options is a dupe. The others are safe. If the most voted choice is a dupe, I won't show anything and the entire game is over. However, if one of the safe options is voted for the most, I'll show a image and we'll proceed to the next question. Thing is, each question becomes riskier and riskier. Each new question (besides 4) will have a new dupe with it. Question 2 will have 2 dupes, Question 3 and Question 4 will have 3 dupes.

No one will know which one is the dupe but me :]*

*And my dev team.

Choose wisely!

https://goo.gl/forms/XsKgFD37amLs5TX23

• Upvote 1

There was a trick to this last time that was explained. However, I suspect that explanation will be rigged so we can't use it to predict which one is the dupe. Random Number Generator don't fail me now