X% Hype!!! [E18 Dev Discussion Thread]

Amethyst

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A way to make further splits and make the story more complex and interesting could be to give us the freedom to choose whether we would like to kill certain members of Team Meteor or not, once we have beaten them. Deciding Solaris fate after completely wrecking him in a one-on-one battle would be very satisfying. And I also really hope that we get to execute Sirius. 

I bet Sirius will die from sisters' hand, probably Charlotte - she will burn him alive for this one barbeque at their place that went a little bit out of hand. Or they will just dismember him, whatever.

Guys, I gotta question, what areas are currently being mapped? I thought Agate and Labradorra were done some time ago already, so what is left to be done for this episode, except a few rock climb spots?

Well, Agate is only the outside map without any warps and npc and stuff. (Except those from the event)

Labradorra is just an empty map.

Besides that... Maybe we'll be able to explore the mountain near Agate City?

Rock Climb means access to many places previously unreachable, like the 2nd part of Route 4, some places in Tanzan and Route 2, Ametrine Mt, I think Iolia Valley also has a part that we can't reach yet etc

Agate City's map is fantastic.

I can just wonder at what kind of team Hardy has, since his Rock typing doesn't exactly make him all that threatening.

Rock type has a lot of weaknesses, but it makes up for it with its raw, pure power. When you think about it, almost all rock types are powerful Pokemon. Coupled it with a field effect that is able to synergize with their respective moves, ability and type? They are a force. Hardy is one of the last two gym leaders for a reason. He also became the champion of the past Reborn league if I recall? Imagine? A ROCK type trainer was able to become champion. He may turn out to be easy (like in Amaria's case for some people) but I know he won't disappoint. I just really have this feeling that he'll literally throw my team to the trash.

It's good that his ace, Gigalith, was buffed in gen7 ability-wise.

I'm curious, because Rock has to play hyper offensively, possibly in double battles, in order to cover up for its multiple weaknesses. 

However I'd have to disagree with you on one thing. Not all Rock types are powerhouses. Some are even bad, objectively speaking. 

We have early access to things like Golem and Onix, but they are usually left out and underused because of their limitations.

They are perfectly fine pokemon to get early on in-game, but certainly wouldn't fare well enough in a competitive environment.

The problem that I find with Rock type teams is that without legendaries, they don't have any incredible pokemons that carry the team.

Most great Rock type pokemon perform much better in a balanced normal team than a monotype (eg Tyranitar, Aggron, Aerodactyl)

My classification of Rock types. Yep I made a whole list about them.

Sudowoodo *

Rampardos **

Gigalith *** (he definitely has one)

Lycanroc-midday *** 

Lycanroc-midnight **

Lycanroc-dusk **** (he probably has one)

Golem **

Golem-A **

Onix *

Omastar ** (special Rock type yay)

Kabutops **

Aerodactyl **** (I hope he has a mega one)

Tyranitar *** (better suited for mono-dark)

Lunatone *

Solrock *

Cradily *** 

Armaldo **

Bastiodon *

Probopass ** (special Rock type yay, even Sirius dropped it)

Archeops **

Barbaracle **

Tyrantum *** (he might have one given the field)

Aurorus *

Carbink *

Minior *** (a good choice, the meteors already love it)

Shuckle **

Magcargo *

Corsola *

Aggron *** (many common weaknesses, great mon otherwise, could also be his mega)

Relicanth *

Rhyperior *** (best ground/rock pokemon by far)

Crustle **

Carracosta *

You made a point there. I'm also leaning to the fact that Hardy will use doubles and start of with Lunatone and Solrock and set up Reflect and Light Screen right off the bat for defense. You're right about rock type needing to play hyper offensively.

However those other rock types are classified as "bad" just because of their weaknesses and I think that doesn't define the goodness of a Pokemon. Almost all the stats, abilities and movesets of rock type mons are on point and if you cut off and remedy their limitations and weakness, they all could be used competitively. So it's still a matter of building the team from the ground up. I agree with some mons on your list, but some like Carracosta, Sudowoodo and Aurorus are all good pokes and Lunatone and Solrock are great in doubles.

In Reborn though, we'll never know. One of the reasons why I'm excited to battle Hardy is I don't know what to expect from a rock type trainer being one of the last two leaders. So we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves if he's really a force to be reckoned with.

Aggron *** (many common weaknesses, great mon otherwise, could also be his mega)

The mental image of Hardy with a Mega Aggron is hilarious considering his whole deal is trying to prove Rock can be tougher than Steel. Not that we don't have any precedent for leaders with megas that break their type theme (looking at you, Ciel), but. That would be an impressive level of irony. ... Uh, no pun intended.

• Supporter

Talk of the Rock Climb area mapping made me curious, so I went back and poked around for areas with Rock Climb:

Spoiler
  • Beryl Cave (this is, I think, the only area within the city that requires Rock Climb. I might be wrong though)
  • Route 1 (this is actually "done" already at the moment according to the code. The RC stones right by the Iolia Valley entrance and these connect directly)
  • Iolia Valley (see Route 1 above and also the last room with Luna. Technically "done" already)
  • Route 2 (shortcut up to Route 3, various other shortcuts and ways to get around the Route puzzle, so technically "done")
  • Pyrous Mountain (to get to that one TM that's been teasing us for the last god knows how many years -- "done")
  • Azurine Island (another TM hideyhole - "done")
  • Tanzan Depths/Cove (the Larvitar event - "done")
  • Ametrine Mountain (I think this is for the Dratini event?)
  • Celestinine Mountain (shortcut/event blocker thing? idk, I'm loosing energy to research fast here)
  • Citrine Mountain (to round out our mountains, ofc)
  • Ametrine City (technically, it's really more on the outskirts. I don't really have a clue where it'll connect to tbh. If we're to place some semblance of trust in the ye olde map then it looks like it would connect to Route 3/4 or Labradorra City -- neither of the two Routes have Rock Climb paths that support this currently. And of course, we don't know what is in Labradorra City presently soo.. This could be our back door in, so to speak?)
  • Route 3 (Axew egg event - "done")
  • Route 4 (once again trusting the ye olde map [see link above] this would put us in the general vicinity of the Glass Workstation and Suspicious House, if either still exist within the game)
  • Teknite Ridge (I won't mention exactly what it is, given the content is still pretty fresh - "done")

Welp, there's my RPG Maker research done for the day. Happy theorizing.

Amaria was nerfed hard as she doesn't even have a good team (or mons she used which were major threats...cough Ludicolo...cough) with the intention of avoiding Amaria from outclassing Saphira or Hardy.

Now let's talk about Hardy and Rock types. I think Hardy is going to go for a Trick Room doubles team as most rocks are very slow and Lunatone and Solrock were his aces (which got a buff in Gen VII). I don't really see an HO singles style as that'd be way too predictable and Adrienn and Titania have been real curveballs in fights doing very unexpected strats. I don't think he'll be that difficult because well it's Rock types and no field gives the buff of hell like Fairy Tale did to Steel (aka no bulk buff which he needs).

Saphira though will not be using a Pseudo team spam. She used a couple interesting teams and strats so I imagine, given Ame, she'll have a team more in the ballpark of that over trying to be a sweeper team (since Dragonite is near invincible alone).

I'm predicting both will be pretty cool and interesting, but not particularly hard since we've got way too much in the player's arsenal and not even a huge level gap can really make a large number of their pool even viable.

• Veterans

Ehhh.

Doubt it on the Saphira thing. Note that not only is Dragon one of the most limited types in it's numbers, it's also one of the more monotonous. Few other types come close to the level of over-specialization, granted it's one of, if not the best at it's hyper offensive archetype. Noting that, there's 2 options for her;

Doubles seeing as she used Triples a lot, or singles. I'm more inclined to expect the former for proper difficulty, though the latter is also possible.

Something along the lines of; Tyrantrum/Kommo-o/Goodra/Noivern/Haxorus OR Mega Charizard X/Dragonite is what I'd expect from her. Especially Noivern, that thing's a bloody monster on the Dragon's Den.

Hardy'll probably be HO singles, though TR Doubles would be a nice surprise.

Re: Hardy, it's probably also worth noting that he's almost certainly going to give out the Rock Slide TM, so doubles seems like a good fit for that. Twice the targets, twice the flinch chance (and twice the chance of field damage from flinching if he's using the Rocky Field)...

Also, Hardy doing doubles would add some kind of amusing subtext to Fern complaining back in Episode 7 that double battles are for talentless hacks and it totally doesn't count if you beat him in one. :')

It's been a real long time since I was on (I think release of Ep16 was when i was last here. But there used to be a thread that detailed the progress % for the new episode. I really like the layout as it was a sort of tangible way to see what still needed to be done. 

Is there no thread like that now because as mentioned in post 1, people didn't like the layout, or is it just too soon to start a progress summary? OR am I just blind? 

Anyway, I just thought I would drop a comment to say, that I really love the work Amethyst and the whole dev team do! You guys and gals rock!

3 hours ago, keltena said:

Re: Hardy, it's probably also worth noting that he's almost certainly going to give out the Rock Slide TM, so doubles seems like a good fit for that. Twice the targets, twice the flinch chance (and twice the chance of field damage from flinching if he's using the Rocky Field)...

Hardy will most probably use the Dragon's Den field. When Ame released it, she said it would be used in two gym battles. And we only have two leaders left...

I'm not so sure about the Hardy battle, even if it's in doubles. Yes, there's Barrier and Reflect, but Rock Types still have a lot of weaknesses. (Though it's possible that he'll use Trick Room, if there's a rock type that can learn Trick Room, that is)

Pretty much every single one of my Pokemon covers one weakness of Rock types. (Feraligatr: Cascade; Arcanine: Close Combat; Gardevoir: /; Haxorus: Iron Tail (and Earthquake IF we finally get it; Venusaur: Petal Dance; Magnezone: Flash Cannon (and it could take advantage of Trick Room, since it's as slow as possible))

But we all know Ame, so Hardy will probably somehow by the 2nd hardest (no pun intendet) gym leader to beat, right after Sapphira (I really expect something that makes me want to throw the PC out the window, a game like this one needs a hard final gym leader and will probably get one)

From now on it will mostly be theories.

So, after looking at the large Reborn map, the 4 (Ame said they're going to be 4 new areas, right?) maps that I think will be added are:

-Agate City (though I'm not sure if that counts) , Abandoned Gym

-Labradorra City, Abandoned Gym

-Glass Workstation

-Suspicious House

That would mean the following locations are still not in the game (and will be coming with the final episode; episode 19)

-Victory Road

-Charous Pass

-Charous Mountain

-Hall of Fame

-Hall of Champions

For the pulses...

I think we'll probably battle the Mr. Mime, since we'll get into Labradorra somehow.

I don't think we'll battle the Clawitzer, I think it'll be one of the pulses we just get the info of without ever battling it.

Then, there's the thing with Agate. Since we'll probably be able to enter Agate City, we'll probably have to solve the sleep issue there. I think it's caused by a pulse (this game taught me that if something weird, seemingly magical, is happening, you should just blame it on pulses xD) A great Pokemon for causing people to fall asleep would be Hypno and I think we'll probably battle it at either the Glass Workstation or the Suspicious House (they're both close to Agate City)

So, only one pulse left and I don't think we'll battle it... Just yet. I'm pretty sure it will be the "final boss" of the story and I don't think we'll get to the climax in Episode 18, since I also think that we're not going to battle the last gym leader and I don't think, we'll finish the story before we finish the gyms.

And last but not least, the remaining evolution lines.

If I remember correctly, the non-legendary/mythical/ultra-beast lines that aren't available yet are:

-Dragonite line | -Scizor line | -Tyrannitar line | -Salamence line | -Dragonite line | -Hydreigon line

So, I guess we'll probably get the Scizor line after the Hardy battle, and maybe the Tyrannitar line, too. I'm quite convinced that we won't get the other 4 lines.

I guess the content of E18 will end right before the Sapphira battle, since we're (probably) not going to get to the Victory Road in Episode 18.

(Did I actually write that much D: )

• Veterans

@TheTGU

Nope. If we get one of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Hydreigon(Technically already obtainable through an exploit) we gain all of them, as they're all locked behind Rock Climb. As we've got Rock Climb unlocked, Scizor and Salamence will be the only ones unaccounted for come e18.

I think that we will battle more Pulses than just the stationary ones which are hinted at in the Pulse dex, as Team Meteor was clearly working on mobile ones as well.

At some point between ep. 18 and 19 apocalypse will happen (based on the New World field and something that Ame said long ago that the ending would be "world shattering"). Sooo I'd wager it'll be because of a PULSE or arceus or something...