X% Hype!!! [E18 Dev Discussion Thread]

Amethyst

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns me for the last two episodes is the storytelling. Not even different major paths we may take, we haven't seen the conclusion of it (so far I don't like reasoning behind Reshiram path at all, Zekrom's painfully lacks in terms of content, but let's wait for the end of both paths), but

Spoiler

Taka's death was senseless - I don't mean the death itself, but how he died - wtf, they didn't hear it is not Lin speaking? How could Titania know who is inside the armour? Also, I was more elaborate on that year ago in one of the posts, so in short: same goes for ZEL Pulse-Magnezone fight, the dialogue leading us to that fight was meh, if we told them no, why did they attack us? Pure suicide.

In my opinion, those situations create holes in logic and it kills the atmosphere - what could be a great story arc is dished by the feeling that it just doesn't add up. As we already have a beautiful refurbished city, some nice locations, I do hope more focus will be put into story development, to tie up loose ends in a grande finale.

• Administrators
On 1/3/2018 at 12:32 AM, Abyssreaper99 said:

This isn't really a question about E18 itself but during the development. Will you be doing the obtainable list updates towards the end of E18 development (like one/two evolution lines a day)? I thought that was a great thing during E17s development

i liked how that went so yeah, probably that's a thing this time too, even if it is less impactful without a new gen.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:26 PM, Absolute Zero said:

What I'm curious about is if this episode will be long story-wise. 

that has been answered in the thing below!!

On 1/3/2018 at 9:24 PM, DreamblitzX said:

I am so ready for round 2 of the "AI is broken" status updates lol.

that makes one of us.

anyway first post for this time detailing the scoreboard categories read here blahblah i'm goin' the fuck to sleep lmao party hard kids baii

One thing that i like about reborn is the AI. I know it's very difficult to develop it and you did a good job till now. Every episode seems to become better and better, thank you for the time you put in it ^^

If it's possible i'd like to see a more in-depth double battle AI, because that will be very interesting to see develop better and better

11 hours ago, Zodiark said:

One thing that i like about reborn is the AI. I know it's very difficult to develop it and you did a good job till now. Every episode seems to become better and better, thank you for the time you put in it ^^

If it's possible i'd like to see a more in-depth double battle AI, because that will be very interesting to see develop better and better

I won't lie, I definitely feel like the AI will need some revamping.  I mean, enemies sometimes fail to make smart decisions, and it just makes the game too easy.  

• Administrators
On 1/13/2018 at 3:46 PM, theMrFluffyPants said:

I won't lie, I definitely feel like the AI will need some revamping.  I mean, enemies sometimes fail to make smart decisions, and it just makes the game too easy.  

that is literally what we've been doing this episode and the last ;~; it's been a major focus

3 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

6% hype lol

think again, 🅱epsi.

• Administrators
On 1/21/2018 at 9:37 AM, NickCrash said:

I'm really hoping that story-wise we get something for the Zekrom path, even if that means improving things for E17 while working for E18. 

how much story is a life worth to you?

14 minutes ago, DreamblitzX said:

15% hype I guess

grats on finishing part 1 of the  f u n c t i o n c o d e c r a w l

this part 2!!!! part 1 was for E17!! the whole thing is done now!!!!! i'm free!!!!

anyway new post here--

• Global Mods
1 minute ago, Amethyst said:

this part 2!!!! part 1 was for E17!! the whole thing is done now!!!!! i'm free!!!!

By part 1 I meant the noncoding part of this round. which, of course, is all you have to do. so well done ame, and good luck mazclello.

6 hours ago, Amethyst said:

how much story is a life worth to you?

You make your game at your own pace, and that's understandable. I never meant for you to do it against your own life, but you knew that.

I raise a point that others have before me, with a possible time frame for it to be implemented. After all the discussion about the dual paths that I've seen and taken part in, I was hoping you were considering adding a bit to the objectively empty path. You have said before that story doesn't take much time, so what's the harm in me suggesting it? If you are looking at my suggestion and instantly you think "hey this guy is attacking me and my game", instead of regarding it as something positive, we are starting off on the wrong foot. 

By "How much story is a life worth to you" I guess Ame might have meant that a life

Spoiler

Taka

is saved in Zekrom Path but it has lesser story content. The Reshiram path being the contrary of this. These two paths have created awesome discussions and it's upto us to think what is better, a life saved or more story content. Personally, I upvote for Zekrom path as the better one.

31 minutes ago, NickCrash said:

You make your game at your own pace, and that's understandable. I never meant for you to do it against your own life, but you knew that.

I raise a point that others have before me, with a possible time frame for it to be implemented. After all the discussion about the dual paths that I've seen and taken part in, I was hoping you were considering adding a bit to the objectively empty path. You have said before that story doesn't take much time, so what's the harm in me suggesting it? If you are looking at my suggestion and instantly you think "hey this guy is attacking me and my game", instead of regarding it as something positive, we are starting off on the wrong foot. 

You can't judge the Zekrom path as empty just from the content in E17. There may be significantly less story content for this part of the game, but it may compensate in a future episode. I don't know if you have noticed but decisions and branching paths in Pokemon Reborn don't usually pay off immediately. The effort of winning against Solaris in the top of Pyrous Mountain doesn't change anything until the Meteor attack in Fiore Mansion, the path of decisions that lead you to end up with Laura in Tanzan Mountain start at least one episode before that and there is no compensation for choosing any other path, and winning the fight against fake Arceus hasn't changed anything yet as far as I know. When you're playing the game as episodes are being released one by one it may seem that it's empty, but once it's all put together you get a good gameplay experience no matter what. The game still rewards the players who make less common decisions or win really hard optional fights, but that's normal.

6 minutes ago, BRS swag said:

By "How much story is a life worth to you" I guess Ame might have meant that a life

Reveal hidden contents

Taka

is saved in Zekrom Path but it has lesser story content. The Reshiram path being the contrary of this. These two paths have created awesome discussions and it's upto us to think what is better, a life saved or more story content. Personally, I upvote for Zekrom path as the better one.

If that life is saved in Zekrom Path then as far as I'm concerned Ame can take out the rest of the story content for that path and I'll still be happy about my decision.

@walpurgis I thought of that possibility as well, and I think that's what's probably going to happen. However, this means that the Reshiram path will be the empty one while we're exploring what the Zekrom one has to offer. We'll have to see.

@BRS swag The way Ame worded it seemed like she thought I was demanding content and that she should work more (neglecting rl needs). If that's a possibility, then I have to clarify, just in case. If it's about Taka's life, then I'm not sure what the implications are. I mean, this path is an illusion (ideal vs real). Taka dies in both paths, we just turn a blind eye to it. Once again, it's just up to Ame how she proceeds with the story.

4 minutes ago, BRS swag said:

@walpurgis Exactly what I intended to convey

seriously, in a game where people are dying left and right without you being able to do anything about it the chance of being able to save one life is something very special (now watch Ame kill him regardless of the path you choose, she is the George R.R. Martin of pokemon fangames, I'll be paranoid until the game is finished)

9 minutes ago, walpurgis said:

seriously, in a game where people are dying left and right without you being able to do anything about it the chance of being able to save one life is something very special (now watch Ame kill him regardless of the path you choose, she is the George R.R. Martin of pokemon fangames, I'll be paranoid until the game is finished)

Yup. All Pokefans will be, I guess.

13 minutes ago, NickCrash said:

@BRS swag The way Ame worded it seemed like she thought I was demanding content and that she should work more (neglecting rl needs). If that's a possibility, then I have to clarify, just in case. If it's about Taka's life, then I'm not sure what the implications are. I mean, this path is an illusion (ideal vs real). Taka dies in both paths, we just turn a blind eye to it. Once again, it's just up to Ame how she proceeds with the story.

Now that you mention it, it does a bit. But, truth is, none of us will demand anything from you @Amethyst MC shipping coz the game is worth the wait. This time around, the dev guys started their work pretty early compared to E17 development time. By the time the game will be complete, it'll be a victory to both sides, gamers and developers.

YEEEE all aboard the H Y P E train 🚂 Even if i haven't finished E17. I'll put my two cents in and wish you luck. Hopefully the work is more smooth than for E17. Ha, see me talking about a smooth workflow. I'm a scientist ffs

• Administrators

i was definitely referring to The Lad, not about any pressure to work, very sorry if it came off that way

i'm doing a bit better with pacing myself these days anyway

6 hours ago, NickCrash said:

@walpurgis I thought of that possibility as well, and I think that's what's probably going to happen. However, this means that the Reshiram path will be the empty one while we're exploring what the Zekrom one has to offer. We'll have to see.

If it's not shown on screen and never spoken of in game it never happened, that is my canon, so long as it is never said they were killed or shown to happen later in E18+ content then as far as i'm concerned it's only theory that it happened elsewhere.

Sigh...I really don't see why you'd argue that players who picked the more enjoyable path to make it unenjoyable later on in the story just for the sole purpose of making both paths "fair". That's never a good argument to cut content. Anyways, I'm pretty sure the story will revolve around this fact or will at a later point:

Spoiler

Zekrom Path = Taka alive, Titania Stays at the Maison for the rest of the main story (more or less done in the main story)

Reshiram Path = Taka dead, Titania leaves planning to take on Meteor

I do have a feeling that people are gonna regret helping Taka stay in Meteor. After all, there are fates far worse than death.