A wild fanart appeared!

Freya

I also inhabit deviantART and I see people who do these things for so much less( talk max 25$). I am not sure what kind of masterpieces people produce to charge 100$ x.x But I guess I have not seen enough of deviant then :o

I think it's because a lot of freelance or "amateur" artists who promote their works on sites like Tumblr or deviantART are desperate enough for work that they're willing to accept commissions for prices that a lot of people think they're worth, i.e. not much.

Say that an artist on Tumblr completes a full-body, full-color portrait commission for $40. Throughout this process, they have to perform:

-Rough sketches

-Linework

-Coloring

-Shading

-Cleanup

Of course, this is assuming that the piece in question doesn't have a background, which also requires all of the aforementioned things.

Assuming that it takes 5 hours of nonstop work to complete, the artist has essentially been working for $8 an hour. This is lower than the minimum wage in many U.S. states, which hardly seems fair when you consider the fact that becoming a proficient artist requires years upon years of diligent practice and study.

I think it's because a lot of freelance or "amateur" artists who promote their works on sites like Tumblr or deviantART are desperate enough for work that they're willing to accept commissions for prices that a lot of people think they're worth, i.e. not much.

Say that an artist on Tumblr completes a full-body, full-color portrait commission for $40. Throughout this process, they have to perform:

-Rough sketches

-Linework

-Coloring

-Shading

-Cleanup

Of course, this is assuming that the piece in question doesn't have a background, which also requires all of the aforementioned things.

Assuming that it takes 5 hours of nonstop work to complete, the artist has essentially been working for $8 an hour. This is lower than the minimum wage in many U.S. states, which hardly seems fair when you consider the fact that becoming a proficient artist requires years upon years of diligent practice and study.

Well, if you put it that way, it sure makes a lot more sense indeed. It is true as well that most people (including myself) do not believe that art should charge so much, although in my case it is mostly disbelief in me being able to promote my work for a higher price because I did not think anyone would be willing to pay that much

Well, if you put it that way, it sure makes a lot more sense indeed. It is true as well that most people (including myself) do not believe that art should charge so much, although in my case it is mostly disbelief in me being able to promote my work for a higher price because I did not think anyone would be willing to pay that much

See, I wish that society as a whole would come to terms with the fact that art is worth just as much as any other good or service. The whole point of said good/service is that you provide someone with adequate compensation to do something that you couldn't do yourself.

Say that you want a computer. Can you build one from scratch? No? Well, that's why you go out and buy it.

Now imagine that you want fan art of your OCs or something. Are you a skilled enough artist to draw it yourself? No? Well, that's why you pay an artist to draw it. Someone else has to devote a lot of time and effort to an art piece; they don't deserve to not receive adequate compensation because a large percentage of people don't believe that the labor justifies the cost.

• Upvote 3

I suppose I should throw my two cents into this whole art discussion thing to kind of resolve it. The art created itself is practically worth nothing much, but obviously you have to draw stuff in order to improve yourself hence why fanart or drawing for fun are a thing. Commissions are a little bit different as you obviously have to charge people the better you are otherwise you'll be taken full advantage of. Pricing is up for a debate, but I don't see $40 being too unreasonable depending on what you're getting out of it. I mean there are paintings that go for millions of dollars so arguing about price is ludicrous if you ask me. Obviously if you think a price like that is too high or unfair, you'll just try to find someone else or live without it.

That's also getting a little bit off topic. This is a place made for fan-art for the Reborn game, not discussions about art in general. I'm not an artist myself (seriously, I couldn't draw a straight line if I wanted), but I do enjoy seeing art on this page. (I also probably should give more upvotes on here, but that might be asking a little too much of me).

When you hire an artist to do a commission, you're literally asking them for their time. A really good artist will charge upwards of $200, while others who think their art isn't as good as that person's will charge $25. Not only that, but artists don't make much in the first place. They get so much shit for charging reasonable prices for their time, which can be well over a day, maybe even a week for their full effort. I think asking someone for two days of their time enlists them charging $200. My dad is a full time freelance artist, so I kind of have a better grasp on it.

I hope that doesn't sound mean spirited or anything.

Anyway, I drew my boyfriend, aka Cain LaRue, check it out:

cain_larue_v2_by_dmetrii-d9meuc7.png

also check me out on dev art, here's the direct link to the picture! http://fav.me/d9meuc7

Edited by Spade
  • Upvote 7

When you hire an artist to do a commission, you're literally asking them for their time. A really good artist will charge upwards of $200, while others who think their art isn't as good as that person's will charge $25. Not only that, but artists don't make much in the first place. They get so much shit for charging reasonable prices for their time, which can be well over a day, maybe even a week for their full effort. I think asking someone for two days of their time enlists them charging $200. My dad is a full time freelance artist, so I kind of have a better grasp on it.

I hope that doesn't sound mean spirited or anything.

Anyway, I drew my boyfriend, aka Cain LaRue, check it out:

cain_larue_v2_by_dmetrii-d9meuc7.png

also check me out on dev art, here's the direct link to the picture! http://fav.me/d9meuc7

That Cain looks so manly though O:

Also, we were already told to drop this line of discussion as it is going offtopic

• 3 weeks later...

tbh forgot that this thread existed oops

old-ish one (a month or so old) of the PULSE tangrowth cause wh.y not

disclaimer: it's not a mustache in front of its face

N8xiVpQ.png

and this one is wip so bear with the bad quality rn. its right after the train goes boom boom at the start of the game

qcuO1bg.png

• Upvote 5

tbh forgot that this thread existed oops

old-ish one (a month or so old) of the PULSE tangrowth cause wh.y not

disclaimer: it's not a mustache in front of its face

N8xiVpQ.png

and this one is wip so bear with the bad quality rn. its right after the train goes boom boom at the start of the game

qcuO1bg.png

that looks lovely. May I ask the name of the program you use?

Oooh so much awesome art in one place. This pleases me~ (Shh I did not just went through the whole thread)

Because I don't know how to start posting on this forum I'll just throw these here. Oldest to newest, bigger versions are on tumblr...

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o3_500.jpg Too edgy for indoors.

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o5_1280.jpg Iolia valley was so pretty.

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o7_400.jpg (Matti) Vanhanen castle. :D

tumblr_o1v74zqLDi1v6nrs4o1_1280.jpg Always so magnificent Shitbrown lake.

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o2_500.jpg Yes, this is ridiculously edgy but come on Shades gym was grim.

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o1_500.jpg Chatot here to rescue your weak ass.

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o4_1280.jpg But everything changed when fire gym leader attacked.

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o6_400.jpg All rise before dittorceus!

tumblr_o1v6yufhTg1v6nrs4o9_1280.jpg "I said no high strikers before we've found Aya."

these are honestly AWESOME! i love scenic backdrops kind of fanart. Especially with good captions. keep up the good work!

i really like the mankey. :D