Pokemon Desolation Episode 5

Caz

• Developers

If you start at the centre and follow the braille correctly, I'm sure you can figure it out, it is meant to be a puzzle after all :)

• Upvote 1

Alright I just finished playing through your game. Overall it was pretty good. There are some technical glitches ie. whenever I open a door exiting a room if there is another door on screen it will be open as well, the part where connor burns down the tree with his vulpix was repeated twice in the same area, and most annoying of all was how after you beat the cult leader connor still follows you everywhere. I don't know whether or not if I can upload my save file if you will be able to fix that particular problem or not just a few things to consider. Honestly speaking for the first gym leader was kinda made trivial because frogadier water pulse is way too op for that gym battle. A suggestion to make it harder would be to have the lead vulpix hold a heat rock so that the sun will last a little bit longer.

Puzzle Spoilers:

I'm pretty sure the brailles are like this:

Center: Northeast
Northeast: Southwest
Southwest: Southeast
Southeast: Northwest
Northwest: Northeast

and talking to the panels in that order doesn't do anything :( after the Northwest one there's just a continuous hourglass loop around the signs.
EDIT: Never mind, patience is a virtue, solved it :]
EDIT 2: Now there's an even harder puzzle in the Helix Room... Who are the 4 western warriors?

Edited by BIGJRA

• Developers

This early on it is hard to tell, but I did add in two secret items (part of a collection) that will be of use later. One is obviously in the helix cave, the other is more... Hidden.

I'm generous with puzzles this early so I'll spoil a bit, as for the bidoof cave puzzle you might notice four bidoof slightly seperated from the rest on the left, I wonder why?

And as for the second item, maybe there are some secrets around the lake? ~

• Upvote 1

Thought I'd give some feedback, since you're looking for it..

I like the premise, I've always wanted a region full of islands. A starter quiz is also usually fun. For anyone interested:

Strongest
Quiet
Calm
Sandile

Strongest
Quiet
Strength
Pancham

Strongest
Energetic
cunning and fast
Electrike

Strongest
Energetic
Loyal and strong
Growlithe

Friends
quiet
Intelligence
Espurr

Friends
quiet
Friendship
Sewaddle

Friends
Energetic
Land
Flabebe

Friends
energetic
Sea
Spheal

So far I'm only around the jungle, but one thing that really stood out was how padded out your writing is. To give you an example

Connor: This tree is blocking our path, let's go check it out shall we?

Read it out loud. It doesn't flow well, would someone who natively speak English say that? It would look better if maybe you did

Connor: This tree is blocking our path.

Connor: Let's go check it out, shall we?

The comma and line break is pretty important for pacing out sentences, and I noticed a lot of them were commas would have made the dialogue look a lot better. Hell, you could even shorten it, Connor doesn't seem the type to be exceptionally wordy. Maybe he just burns it down and then mentions you should check behind it after that.

Also, you should really, show, not tell. This is a mistake I notice a lot. You don't have to say 'The next morning..." or "later...", let the change in weather and lighting tell the player that time has passed. It helps immersion if you let these things show themselves.

Oh, and. Never, EVER use *action*. It's FUCKING awful. No Pokemon game, hell, no game has done that and for good reason. It breaks immersion.

You might want to consider changing the intro sequence. I personally didn't find it very entertaining and it doesn't do a good job of setting the tone for what I've seen so far. I was very drawn in to the whole explore a mysterious archipelago angle of the story, and that didn't contribute anything to it. Maybe if you were doing some lol xd so randum comedy story, but I don't recommend that at all.

Oh, and, while memes are easy to write in as filler dialogue, please, PLEASE try to refrain from them. Why would a tribe that, from what I've seen so far, wears loincloths and is primitive enough that they worship their chief as a god, have one guy who knows what shorts are, enough to 'miss' them? Do they have internet access? Is that why one guy is happily reciting Shrek? It might be funny, but it comes at the expense of the world you're trying to make. Again, it breaks immersion.

Well, those are my two cents. Hope it helps.

NOTE 2: There are bugs. If you download this game don't expect a flawless and bugless experience until I patch to v1.1

My play-through was bug-free, I LOVED the beginning where you choose your character and type in your name. It was funny and it got me interested. So yea, I had a flawless run and nothing happened, but I did see some typos in the intro text but didn't get a screenshot because I was half sleep.

Suggestions:

-Since we saw a Helix worship group...what about goomy?? :]

-Maybe make Gym Leaders based around their type? Meaning they can use another type like Connor uses Vulpix? Well he can also use a grass type that can utilize that sun like a Pokemon with the ability Chlorophyll. Then, he would be a much harder opponent and if you do this to every gym leader, then all of the gym leaders can be hard :D woot woot

• Developers

Text issues in the game are expected for me, because I'm so new to RPG maker it feels like I spent more time trying to make things yknow? But now that I know what's up you should expect a much higher quality dialogue :)

• Upvote 1

Text issues in the game are expected for me, because I'm so new to RPG maker it feels like I spent more time trying to make things yknow? But now that I know what's up you should expect a much higher quality dialogue :)

Glad you appreciated it, You should check out MrBTongue's videos on youtube, he has a lot of good things to say about storytelling and worldbuilding in video games. In fact I highly recommend everyone trying to make a game here watch them. These two are particularly important since they concern suspension of disbelief and creating a consistent world.

For some reason after I beat shiv in keneph cave connor is still battling with me even though he isn't following me anymore, he also won't let me leave the cave after I've been instructed to return to the surface by saying "We don't have time to dawdle" even though he's not with me. I don't really know what to do from here except reload my save file but either way I thought it was worth mentioning

Edit:.....itdidn'twork

Edit2:..........ifigureditout

Edited by micky33000000

Alright, so I've gotten to the end of current content. I like a lot of the tone you've set so far. More about adventuring and exploring instead of the current trend of... Reborn-likes throwing you into a shitty city and not letting you leave for a long time. A gameplay suggestion, the scientist in Redcliff asked me for a Bibarel right after I dumped mine for the Budew. Either make it more prominent that he's looking for a Bibarel earlier, maybe have a NPC in town mention it, or just make him ask for a different Pokemon. Very tedious grinding another Bidoof just because.

While I was mucking about in the tribe village with Connor, I let him carry me while I used his healing and Fletchinder to grind up weak Pokemon like I usually do during tagteam segments. He destroyed absolutely everything until it came to a double battle against a Carvanha and Bidoof. Bidoof's rollout actually made me have to contribute to the fight because it completely destroyed his entire team, and I later noticed that Bibarel has the perfect kit to demolish him in his gym battle. Defense curl+Rollout destroys Brave Bird Jr and Larvesta and severely crippled the rest while water typing gives fire resistance. Was this intentional? If so, this is absolutely genius and a great example of showing, not telling. If not, I hope you'll show more examples of this in the future.

Some other things I have to note, one tribe member mentions wondering where the 'ordinary animals' are, or something to that effect. Normal animals don't exist in Pokemon, at least not anymore.

It's also very strange that Connor is concerned about the Village, at least at first. We only find out he's not really the massive cock we're expecting from a Fern recolour later, so until then why he bothers trying to help the village seems like a huge departure from what has been established of his character. Does he feel that it's his responsibility as a gym leader? Is he a lot more caring than he lets on? It should be at least addressed a little when you talk to him in tag team segments, he can just brush it off when it's implied the player is asking him why he's bothering to help.

Having your self insert as a character and a plot-important one at that could go either way. Actually, it's probably going to go horribly, you have to toe a very fine line so you don't become obnoxious. Remember, immersion, suspension of disbelief. I don't want to be reminded that this is just some fanfic kid's game when you've given me a setting to be absorbed in.

Edited by Protonymic

Soooo just finished the first episode. I like this game a lot so far. You have already given us 3 good pokemon (first starter, teddiursa -> Ursaring, second starter). I like that you gave us an NPC that was easy to grind on, so I didn't have to fight wild pokemon for 1hr to grind up all my pokemon. As Protonymic said before, I agree about what he was saying about having commas where periods should be. It sounds kind of weird so you may want to fix that.

The music is great. Perfect for the atmosphere the game is giving off for each area. You may want to take out the Victory2.mp3 file from the game because Mac users can't run that file in game for some reason. It crashes immediately after defeating someone if they have that sound file as the victory song. You don't have to, but I personally would like some Victory music for defeating major people since I'm on a Mac and had to delete that sound file to play.

I actually haven't seen any bugs whatsoever, besides that any nearby doors always open when you open a door that isn't one of those doors. Very fun game. I can't wait for episode 2.

I've only just started playing this.. but I feel obligated to mention this:

Please, please don't have a quiz for picking your starter - just keep it simple and let the player pick. Every single time a pokemon game tries to have a quiz for the starter pokemon I always either savescum until I get the one I want or google what starters are available and what you need to say to get them - it's a layer of tedium that's just unnecessary in my opinion.

On that note, for anyone who thinks similarly to me, the starters corresponding to the choices you make (1 means the top choice and 2 means the bottom choice for each question)

111: Sandile

112: Pancham

121: Electrike

122: Growlithe

211: Espurr

212: Sewaddle

221: Flabebe

222: Spheal

• Developers

My grammar quality wasn't perfect, I'll admit that, you wonder why I'm still in high school >.>

Anyway, I've fixed most issues posted here, I didn't remove the quiz, instead I gave the player the ability to save after cutscene city so if they didn't want to use their destined starter they could restart. I think this is justified because the player gets the opportunity to choose an actual starter later.

Bugfix will be out within the next two days :)

• Upvote 1

I've only just started playing this.. but I feel obligated to mention this:

Please, please don't have a quiz for picking your starter - just keep it simple and let the player pick. Every single time a pokemon game tries to have a quiz for the starter pokemon I always either savescum until I get the one I want or google what starters are available and what you need to say to get them - it's a layer of tedium that's just unnecessary in my opinion.

On that note, for anyone who thinks similarly to me, the starters corresponding to the choices you make (1 means the top choice and 2 means the bottom choice for each question)

111: Sandile

112: Pancham

121: Electrike

122: Growlithe

211: Espurr

212: Sewaddle

221: Flabebe

222: Spheal

Technically you do get to choose a starter you just don't get it at the start so it's not too bad but in my opinion the quiz thing was interesting I was pretty happy when I got a growlithe, I'm not really sure if it's necessary though I could see it annoying people, even though I don't have a problem with it.

A quick side note:

which versions Pick-up table do you use? or do you use a self made one?

I'm asking this, because the first thing my Meowth (level 12) picked up was a KINGS ROCK

edit:

second item: ULTRA BALL

edit 2:

after I got Teddiursa, was in that crystal cave and got another Spice Powder, I went back to heal up... upon reaching the space were the first Vileplume was, the Event with Conner restarted.

He dragged me up to the Tree and burned it again with Vulpix... (the gatekeepers house was still the same as after the event though)

Edited by Cepheus

• Developers

My pickup table is the same as that of Rejuvenation.

As for the Connor bug, it has been mentioned before (although I still appreciate it (: ) and will be fixed in 1.1.

• Upvote 1

well i just finished the current release and had fun so here's a few thoughts form me.

lets see the quiz thing is fun cause speal it awesome same with the other pokemon there i guess.

there could be a bit more variety of pokemon in the jungle and places since well its a jungle.

it feels a bit bad that we can't give the girl back her Budew after you trade for it.

the braille puzzle is annoying just like in Ruby and Sapphire. i really get annoyed about puzzles that you have to use the internet or other resources outside of the game and common knowledge of the games(then again you might have something in game that has it somewhere and i was to lazy to find it.)

didn't notice really any glitches or anything like that other then the repeat of the Conner thing that has be mentioned already.

and the secret around the lake you where talking about .it wasn't the cave behind the waterfall was it? cause all i found in there was a nugget. then again I'm really didn't look that hard.

• Developers

The cave with the nugget isn't very secret no, but maybe it goes even further?

Eh, the prerequesites for this easter were too hard to meet, but this'll be fixed in the bugfix version (1.1) which I happen to be uploading right now.

As for Braille, it's actually a fan favourite, so I thought I would put a simple one in there. Again, In 1.1 it's made a little easier (:

EDIT: Nvm, 1.1 is up.

Edited by Chivalry
  • Upvote 1