[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignia took a few deep breaths as they got closer to the throne room, trying to distract herself from the weight of what they were doing.

"Hey so does this count as starting or quashing a rebellion?  Because the last time I helped start one well....I still haven't heard the end of it."

"I'm pretty sure with Queen Mom here, this is a coup," Chara points out.

Frisk nods resolutely.  "This is it then."

The gang continue, walking through the final hallway, and into The Barrier's chamber.

Spoiler

Asgore is in the room, facing away from the party.  Seven canisters have extended out of the floor with a mechanical hiss.  Six of them contain floating hearts, in various colors.

The seventh and final one is empty.

To the others, the King is still mostly recognizable, though he is far larger and more fearsome than before.

He begins to speak.  "Human.  It was nice to meet you.  Goodbye."

With that, The King releases an orange SOUL from his body, and lowers it into the canister, the glass tube sealing once the SOUL enters it.

Without Nader's SOUL, Asgore begins to shrink, slowly returning to his original form.

Spoiler

He continues to stare unblinkingly at the barrier as he addresses the party he heard entering.

"I remember the day after my son died.  The entire underground was devoid of hope."

"The future had once again been taken from us by the humans."

"In a fit of anger, I declared war.  I said that I would destroy any human that came here.  I would use their souls to become godlike..."

"...and free us from this terrible prison."

"Then, I would destroy humanity...  And let monsters rule the surface, in peace."

"Soon, the people's hopes returned."

"My wife, however, became disgusted with my actions.  She left this place, never to be seen again."

"Truthfully... I do not want power.  I do not want to hurt anyone.  I just wanted everyone to have hope..."

"I cannot take this any longer."

"I just want to see my wife."

"I just want to see my child."

"Please... Humans..."

"This war has gone on long enough.  You have the power..."

"Do what you-" he begins, as Toriel wraps her arms around him from behind, interrupting him.

The embrace continues, and her grip tightens around him as his breath hitches.

She begins spinning, until she is moving fast enough to fling The King bodily into the wall, smashing the stone wall into rubble and dazing him.

"Asgore, you pathetic idiotic whelp!" she roars, kicking him in the shin as Chara, Frisk and Asriel run over to try and hold her back.

After a few moments, her flash of anger burns out, and she collapses to her knees.

"Idiots, all of you.  My entire family, foolishness bred true," she says, shaking her head with tears in her eyes.

Asgore, having already shaken off the attack no worse for the wear, stares in shock at Toriel flanked by Asriel and...

Spoiler

He gapes like a fish as his children quickly move on to approaching him.

"A-asriel, Chara?  And, er...  Do I know you?" he says, staring at Frisk with vague recognition.

"It's a long story.  Can I call you dad?" Frisk deadpans.

"...I do not know how this miracle has occurred.  I do not know if this is a cruel dream.  If it were, I dearly hope I do not awake from it," he says, hugging them all close.

"Human... I promise you... For as long as you wish, my wife and I will take care of you as best we can."

"We can sit in the living room, telling stories... Eating butterscotch pie...  Er, that is to say..." He looks at Toriel awkwardly.

She shakes her head ruefully, chuckling with wet eyes as she approaches and kneels beside them. "I suppose, from time to time," she allows, resting a hand on his pauldron.

He returns his focus to the children surrounding him.  "We could be like... Like a family..."

His smile begins to fade, as he looks at the rest of the party.  At the rest of the humans.

"No. That's just a fantasy, isn't it?" he says, standing up and pushing the children away from him gently as he rises out of the rubble.

"Humans.  Even if you had no attachment to those who have fallen before... Even if your friend, Nader, asked me to do so... I have taken his life."

"For monsterkind to go free, to live on the surface in peace with humanity, what I have done must be addressed."

"Having seen my family, knowing they will live on... I will not regret what comes next."

The seven SOULs bob slowly in their glass cases behind everyone.

Ignia's tension takes a roller-coaster as Asgore speaks, Toriel slams him into a wall, their tearful reunion, and then his later words.  With a flick of her wrist she summons her Keyblade, though she stays relaxed and leaves it in front of her, pointed towards the ground.
"With all due respect your Majesty.  I think it's time you took a few steps back and we go talk this over some of the tea your wife bought."

She paused, trying to read the King's movements and preparing to attempt to lock the canister holding Nader's SOUL should he try anything with them.

"Starting," Jun said, with the calm and confident tone of someone who's probably a bit more familiar with the subject than she lets on, "Like it or not, King Asgore is still the legitimate and rightful ruler of the underworld, the fact that we are backed by the former Queen simply lends a bit more legitimacy to our claim."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jun naturally concludes that monsters either showed affection and concern through displayed physical force, or that Toriel's general reaction to a distressing situation is to hit something or someone really hard after watching the uh, scene unfolding before them. She curtsies a little after making her own entrance, keeping her hands clasped together, and far away enough from anything that could count as a weapon, "Yes your majesty, it would be best if we discuss all of...this in a, more neutral setting." 

Jun uses Ace Ambassador.

Arminius watched the king release the soul with his breath held... So close, and Asgore hadn't simply broken down the barrier? Why? He almost hadn't realized Toriel had approached Asgore and was hugging him. The scene made him feel... Conflicted. Truthfully, he held no love for the man, but the kids- oh shit, she just threw him! Arminius nearly ran forward to stop her as well, but decided the kids probably would have that solved easily enough. Finally, he walked forward, inspecting each of the canisters. Seven souls, that's what would be needed to break down the barrier, they just needed someone to guide their power.... He stood up and turned away. That was far too much power for him, besides, if things went out of control he'd be the best candidate to fix them. "You're right, and I'll be sure to collect recompense for these souls... But first, someone has to break down this barrier."

"I'm certain you would like to die for your actions," Rachel looks at Asgore with a sort of surprised understanding, "It's... easier that way.  No regrets.  No problems.  No consequences... for yourself.  You would be safe from these things.  But what of Asriel?  What of Toriel?  Do you think they would prefer your death?  To go on without you, as they have these past years?  No.  I'm afraid, Asgore, king of the MONSTERs, that you will have to take the more challenging road this day.  The same road I now must walk.  Dying for your sins is easy.  Living with them?  Far harder.  And yet...  It is what we must do."

Lucine stepped forward, taking yet another deep breath. She looked at Asgore and the sorrow that filled his expression, then back at Rachel. Finally, she turned to Arminius, and the SOULs floating in their containers.  "I can do it," she began.  "I'm. . ." She shook her head and restarted.  "I was made for this." She wondered how Law was doing.  "The Lesser Grail fills with seven Heroic Spirits, to break through reality and connect to the Greater Grail." It wasn't quite a quote, but she spoke as if reciting it anyway.  "Heroic Spirits are bigger and stronger than any human soul. It'll be easy for me." That was a lie, of course. Heroic Spirits might be larger than life. . . but it was hard to quantify the essence of a person. It was possible that it would kill her. Not immediately, almost certainly, but the vessel was only meant to hold the grail until it could begin to fill. Once that happened, the vessel was to be discarded.  "And. . . one of the people there knows me." She looked at the second orange SOUL for a moment before her gaze fell to the earth.  "I want to at least say I'm sorry."

Proditor

As Asgore took in the sight of his children, the Ethereal rapidly vanished from here he floated, teleporting just behind the King of Monsters and facing the seven soul containers. In a way, he was somewhat relieved that Nader's soul was being preserved, as tragic as their situation had been what felt like mere moments ago. It certainly was a surprise to see the Barrier still intact, only due to Asgore's hesitance to finish the job. Still, focusing on the situation at hand, Proditor remained on edge, slightly turning to face Asgore even as his mind's eye rapidly expanded, ensuring the perimeter's safety, "She is correct, King Asgore. Trust in me when I say that what you've done, in this context, is not nearly enough to condemn yourself to death" he stated, his helmet seeming to drill a piercing gaze into Asgore's being.

Ultimately they were both fairly similar. Asgore had killed seven humans to free his people, innocent lives that had no right to die. Proditor had ended an uncountable number of lives and species as ADVENT's head general, his decisions and actions made in the belief that he was protecting the universe as a whole, rather than just Angelis' goal of conquest. Yet he stood with his head high, determined to atone for his mistakes, while Asgore stood ready to face the consequences here and now. A coward's way out... One that would not be granted by their hands this day.

"Lucine, you need not push yourself. I can likely handle this task myself" Proditor commented shortly after Lucine stepped forward, albeit without making a physical move to stop her.

Asgore is taken aback.

"...You would rather spare my life, even after all I have done."

Suddenly, monsters begin bursting into the room.

Spoiler

bldhObE.png

Even more monsters crowd into the room, all familiar faces.

r6CW6iu.png

Undyne quickly corrects her language in front of the children.

Bvvfpou.png

Undyne's efforts to modulate her language is thrown down the drain by Alphys, who withers under Toriel's disapproving glare.

The dog squadron burst in barking up a storm.

tXJfKzh.png

"Yeah, these humans are good your majesty!  They gave us pets!" Doggo points out.

"They smell like weird puppies!"  "(Yeah, but like, the good kind of weird!)"

"Wa ha ha!  It seems you're being outvoted here, Fluffybuns!" Gerson laughs, waving his magnifying glass at Asgore.

"They helped me sell out all my icecream in Hotland!" the Nicecream man explains.

"Yeah, I took off work for this!  Don't mess with my little buddy, man!" Burgerpants begs.

"Ohh...  Is this the right place?  I didn't expect there to be so many people... oooohhhhhh..." Napstablook says, slowly fading into invisibility after floating in.

"So, like, uhh, we were just joking about the whole..."  "Being hype about destroying humanity thing..."  Catty and Bratty attempt.

Toriel rolls her eyes, muscling aside several monsters to clear a path to the king for her and her children.  

"It seems your execution has been overruled, Asgore.  As much as you may desire otherwise, we will simply have to put up with you from here on."

"Tori..." he attempts.

"Oh no, do not 'Tori' me, Dreemurr.  Your misguided scheme has left a mess almost as foul as the one our own children made.  You have much to atone for before we are back to 'Tori'." she scowls.

The entire crowd of monsters collectively wince, save for Gerson, who cackles at them all.  "Oh please!  You younguns should be glad!  You had no clue how insufferable they were back when they wasted everyone's time making googoo eyes at each other!  Wa Ha Ha!"

Toriel shakes her head at the cantankerous old turtle, before turning to address the party.

"It seems the battle we anticipated has come to an anticlimactic close.  Though, seeing all the friends you have made...  I cannot help but be proud of you all."

She waves to the seven SOULs, allowing the rest of the party access to them (aside from Prodditor and Ignia, who had been keeping an eye on them this whole time) as Asgore tears up melodramatically.

"I believe it is now time, at long last, for monsters to go free, do you not?"

Alphys seems confused about something.

Proditor

For a moment, Proditor was surprised to see so many monsters suddenly appear, from ones he had never seen to familiar ones like the scientist Alphys and the skeleton that had appeared to pay for them. Yet it was the same surprise, along with noticing the confused look upon Alphys' face, that put Proditor on edge. Why were there so many monsters here at once? The scientist and humanoid fish he could get, they were already coming, but why the rest? And if Alphys had brought them... Then why did she seem confused? To him, it didn't add up, in the midst of the friendly words between monsters and humans, Proditor simply focused on Alphys' mind, quickly scanning it over to see just what she was confused about, all so he could potentially find an answer.

Prodditor reads the thoughts in her head only a few seconds before she actually voices them.

ZiRFlN7.png

Papyrus chuckles, arms akimbo with pride.

dYk2Inv.png

Asriel's entire body erupts in a cold sweat.

"W-w-w-" he stutters.

"Was it this asshole?"  Tattletale asks, revealing her presence near the back of the room, kneeling on a very familiar doll with a gun pressed up against his head.

"Let me go!  I'll kill you, I swear to god I'll kill you!  I need those SOULs!" Dolly shouts, writhing with white hot rage.

"I kinda came in after you guys.  Sorry, not sorry, I figured you could use my help, but didn't exactly fancy the idea of jumping in a fucking pit at first.  Found this little bastard skulking around."

"You guys can do your thing now," she shrugs.

That was unexpected, to say the least. She didn't exactly know the story behind the angry creature currently held captive, but it didn't seem like it'd be a happy one. Lucine forced herself to ignore the thing's screeching and focus on the SOULs. "Okay, here goes." She stepped up close to the containers they were held in, looking between them in turn. The young mage wasn't actually entirely certain what she was doing here, but she figured it was something between what she did to hand control over to Opal and absorbing power from a leyline. Not that she did the latter consciously, for the most part. "I don't know who most of you are, but I hope you can help us out here." She opened each of the containers, and then reached out with her own magic, clumsy and fumbling as it was, attempting to absorb the SOULs.

The souls enter Lucine's body, one after another.

She doesn't feel anything particularly strange as she does, aside from the weights in her chest, and the whispers in her mind.

She suddenly feels a booming voice in her mind, and only barely manages to shut her fat mouth before blurting it out out loud.

'STATE YOUR WISH, AND I SHALL GRANT IT.'  Lucine hears, and assumes that she was meant to just sort of shout that so loudly that everyone could hear it.

She has the power, now.  It may not be complete, but whether or not she has the power that a grail war would provide, it's clear that her body is reacting to the power of the SOULs.

She has the power to grant one small wish.

Ignia breathed a sigh of relief as all the various monsters piled in, smiling in the fact that they wouldn't have to fight the King or anyone else...so it seemed.  Her expression quickly turned to a sneer as the Doll appeared though.
"I knew it!"
She glanced to the crowd and looked back at the Doll and Tattletale.
"You little piece of- Mmmgh Nobody, and one full of malice at that."

She walks over to the pair and with a disgusted look stabs her Keyblade into the Doll, pinning it to the ground and letting Tattletale move.

"I don't think we need you around any more."

Ignia wreaths her Keyblade in fire, focusing it towards the tip until the Doll is incinerated and nothing remains but I fine powdered ash.

Lucine blinked. It wasn't nearly as bad as she had been dreading. Still, she didn't want to strain herself too much. The homunculus had no idea if this was going to trigger a breakdown regardless - or if the lack of unpleasant sensations meant it had already begun. She slowly turned to the barrier. It seemed strange that something she hadn't even seen until less than fifteen minutes ago had caused so much strife. Lucine hadn't ever imagined that things would happen the way they had, but she supposed it worked out in the end. Sort of. I don't know what's going to happen after I use this power. I don't know if you'll all disappear, or stay here, or. . . do anything. So, if you can understand me thinking at you, thank you for helping me do this. And Nader. . . I'm really sorry. I wanted to really help. I messed up really badly and. . . I'm sorry. Please forgive me. 

She focused on the faint sensation of weight and power in her chest. The homunculus grabbed ahold of it mentally, then spoke. "My wish is for everyone in the underground to be free."

Arminius, seeing the doll once again pop up, shot a look towards the children as he started muscling through the crowd. Thankfully, this had been nipped in the bud before a problem could arise... He mentally sighed as he saw Ignia approaching the doll, before double timing it to get there before she could do something drastic. When he finally got to the edge, he shouted to the women and doll. "Hey! Don't you dare hurt him! I said I was going to fix him and I'm gonna be pissed if you two make that harder for me!"

Dolly stares dispassionately at Ignia as they pin the doll to the ground with their keyblade.

"Do it.  Even if I HAD something to live for..."

They glance at Chara and Asriel for a moment with a frown.

"I don't anymore."

A fireball slams into Ignia's keyblade, sending it skittering off before they can finish off the Soulless Abomination.

IHfVcOq.png

Before Ignia can respond to this...

Spoiler

Lucine's body ignites with white light that floods the entire room, as the seven SOULs surround her, whirling faster and faster.

The Barrier was destroyed.

The Seven Souls float slowly back down into their canisters, and with a small hiss, they slide back into the floor.

Dolly is nowhere to be seen, and all the monsters are sprawled out on the ground from the force of the blast.

It's over.

Ignia looks a bit shocked at Asriel's action, but that is quickly swept away by Lucine's breaking of the Barrier.

She gives a few cursory looks as the dust settles, and then dismisses her weapon.

"Looks like it got away."

She shakes her head a little.

"That's a shame."

With a sudden realization she looks around, trying to see if Lucine is still there somewhere.

Frisk is torn.  On the one hand, Asriel has a point.

On the other hand, Flowey is a murderous psychopath usually, and he seemed especially murdery this time.

They tug on Arminius's sleeves.

"I know where they are," they whisper to him.

"There's only one place he would go."

The other monsters are groaning, and slowly coming to.

Lucine looks none-the-worse-for wear.  Human souls ain't shit compared to Heroic Spirits.

Arminius sighs before nodding and standing up. "Well, at least that's a straight line pretty much... Do me a favor kid, get people to find me some things to put the souls in temporarily at least? Uh, our friend had some armor, so that ought to work... heck, he might even be okay with living in it permanently, but uh... yeah, just need something person like ideally. And then I'll be back in a bit and we can get them mostly living again."

Frisk thinks for a moment, before realizing with a start.

They dash over to Dr. Alphys and tug on her coat.

"Dr. Alphys, can you make seven more Mettatons, for the seven SOULs?"

hqHVndI.png

The lizard woman is some blend of startled and surprised, but quickly runs the numbers in her head.

cMLZlj1.png