[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

"Wahaha!  Well, there isn't any other kind of junk, is there?" the old turtle says, squinting at Jun.

"Just some cans of Sea Tea, some old glasses, a torn notebook.  I'm trying to get rid of some of this junk!  The name's Gerson."

Looking around, Jun notes the junk in question.  they also note the strange symbol carved into the stone wall behind Gerson.

About Yourself
Weird Emblem
Ace Ambassador
The King
About Undyne

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jun's eyes glanced over the weird emblem lurking behind Gerson, her attention thankfully hidden enough by her all concealing armor to allow her to instead ask, "Ah, well my name's Jun it's good to meet you Gerson. What's a turtle like you selling junk in a waterfall for anyway?."

>About Yourself.

Gerson smiles at this.

"I've been around a long time.  Maybe too long!"

"It sure is easy to study history when you've lived through so much of it yourself!"

"Sometimes a fella just gets loaded up with all sorts of trinkets, trying to dig up history."

About Yourself
Weird Emblem
Ace Ambassador
The King
About Undyne

Jun nods along to the turtle's words, mainly to indicate that she was in fact, not asleep or losing interest inside of that helmet of hers, "Ah, that's interesting, is that weird emblem behind you one of the trinkets you found? Or does it have some...historical importance I'm not aware of?."

"What, you don't recognize it?  What are they teaching you kids in school nowadays?!"

He barks out, laughing.

Spoiler

fo1DGdF.png

"That's the Delta Rune, the emblem of our kingdom."

"The Kingdom...  Of Monsters," he says sagely.

He laughs even louder.

"Great name, huh?" he says slyly.

"It's as I always say...  Ol' King Fluffybuns can't name for beans!" Gerson finishes, shaking his head with amusement.

"As for the meaning..."

"Well, I'm afraid it predates written history.  All we know is that those triangles down below symbolize us monsters, and that winged circle up there symbolizes..."

"Something else.  A lot of folks think it's the prophesy, the one that says an Angel from the surface will descend down here, and make the underground go empty."

"Course... Nowadays, people have gotten a bleaker outlook on it, thinking it'll be an 'Angel of Death', here to empty the underground by killing everyone in it."

He shrugs.  "When I look at that circle though... I just think it looks neat!"

About Yourself
Weird Emblem
Ace Ambassador
King Fluffybuns
About Undyne

Jun casts her gaze at the delta rune a little more openly now, slowly moving her head down to match the movement of her wandering eyes, "Oh, well, I didn't really pay attention to this kind of stuff till now...." She trailed off for a moment as she mulled the turtle's words, searching for something to say, and eventually settling on prodding the turtle for more information, "King Fluffybuns you say? Was he the one that founded this kingdom?."

Gerson snickers at this.

"You could say that, yes!  Oh there is a story behind why I call Asgore that..."

He thinks for a moment.

"Alright, I remember, so, here's the story behind that nickname."

"It was the monthly address at the castle, and the queen was giving her part on current events."

"After finishing her update, she moved to pass the microphone to the king."

"However, she didn't realize the microphone was still in her hand when she said: 'Your turn, Fluffybuns'."

"The audience burst into laughter."

"Realizing what she had said, she started laughing too."

"After a few moments, the king held up his arms."

"The crowd grew silent."

"He leaned towards the microphone expression..."

"Stern."

Gerson puts on a deep voice.  "Dear citizens.  Thank you for coming here today."

"I... King Fluffybuns..." he finishes.

He chuckles.

"And the rest is history."

About Yourself
Weird Emblem
Ace Ambassador
King Fluffybuns
About Undyne

Jun couldn't help but chuckle a little after hearing Gerson's story, "Heh, I'm glad to hear that the king took it pretty well then, although I wonder what he'd say if he heard you call him that now...." She trailed off for a bit, her eyes glancing at the various miscelanious detritus and junk he had in his 'shop'. "Do you just love to tell stories to curious strangers or something? I'm kinda wondering why you're humoring me this much."
>Ace Ambassador

Gerson's smile widens.

"Well, there's a trick to it, I'll admit.  You ever notice how nobody ever gets into a FIGHT when they're at the store?  How shopkeeps are just a little bit friendlier?"

"That's red magic at work.  Folks like to throw around the term "Communication Magic", but..."

"Me?  I like to call it THE LAW."

"It might not be the flashiest, but it's the strongest kind.  In fact, I think me and the king are the only two people who can use it whenever we want."

"Not even the Royal Guard Captain can manage it.  She's got a good head on her shoulders, but Red Magic takes patience, love, and a diplomatic attitude, and by golly, Undyne is anything but diplomatic!  Wa ha ha!"

His mood dims a bit.

"It's a shame too.  It's real good for breaking up a FIGHT, the way I use it."

About Yourself
Weird Emblem

King Fluffybuns
Red Magic
About Undyne

Jun perks up considerably at the mention of red magic, "Well, I've never heard of it being called red magic per se, but it does seem a little familiar. Would it be alright if I asked how it actually works? I like to fancy myself as a bit of a diplomat but, it just seems like I haven't been able to avoid fighting people lately...."

Gerson's smile turns wry.  "I take a minute to talk about friendly shopkeepers, and here you are taking advantage already!"

"You're certainly a diplomat, to say the least."

"Well, it's pretty simple, and I bet you've heard it before.  Magic is just how we monsters express ourselves.  It bleeds into every darn thing we do!"

"It's as easy as putting a whole lot of love into your magic, till it turns a vivid red.  Ordinarily, if you show MERCY to someone, and they're willing to let bygones be bygones, the FIGHT will end.  If you lay down THE LAW, though, you can make people stop FIGHTing, even if they don't want to."

"Course, for a human, it'd be pretty tough, what with them not using magic at all," he points out.

"Though, it's worth noting, THE LAW is all or nothing.  If you can't make everyone stop FIGHTing, all at once, it doesn't really do anything at all, now does it?  Wa Ha Ha!"

That's all I got, unless you care to practice the magic you've got with an old coot like me," he says with a gleam in his eye as he makes eye contact with Jun.

About Yourself
Weird Emblem

King Fluffybuns
Grimoire of the Necrodancer
About Undyne

Jun thought long and hard about what to say next, idly wondering if her...decision to bring up magic might prove to be a fatal mistake if the turtle reacted to her humanity basically the same way everyone else has so far, but after a while she realized that there was something magic she had been working on for a while, and sure she hasn't actually gotten anywhere with it, but well, bringing it up probably wouldn't be as big of a mistake as asking about red magic...probably. And so Jun took out the really heavy tome of necrodancy, and plopped down it's imposing, form on the table before her. She gently brushed her armored hand brushing against it's grotesque cover. "Well, I can speak to people using my mind, but when it comes to real magic well, I'd be able to use real magic if I could figure this book out. You're a historian right? Maybe you can help me make sense of this...tome."

-Waterfall

Gerson looks at the ominous book, flipping through it page by page with a discerning eye.

The book pulsates with dark Energy, but Gerson simply chuckles, cracking his neck and polishing his magnifying glass.

"This is human magic, undoubtedly.  Some of the oldest kind, too.  I've never seen anything exactly like this, but I've seen the broad strokes once or twice, way back when," he says.

"It's funny, humans that use magic like this toss their SOULs out like day-old garbage, even though that's their only advantage over us!"

He shakes his head.  "Human magic sure isn't pretty.  All work and no play, it might as well just be a tool to them.  I've had to deal with one or two necromancers before.  Without their SOUL, it's hardly a fair fight."

He laughs.  "Well, it seems you've given me something to chew on here!  Tell you what, I'll translate it for you, if you're willing to come back later for it."

Yes

No

Jun mulls it over for a while, on one hand she does know another necromancer who could help her out with this, but on the other hand, she had no idea where they were, and well, she has a feeling that the other necromancer wouldn't care all that much about actually teaching her any of the magic in this book as much as she'd want to study it herself. So after the moment had passed, Jun finally decided to say, "You know what, sure, you don't seem like the kind of guy who'd want to try and take over the world or say any of the words out loud while drunk or high or anything." While fully acknowledging that there is almost an entire sub genre of movies about historians obtaining vile and malicious artifacts that end up becoming their undoing.

"Thanks, and good luck with translating that book," Jun said, waving at the shopkeeper a little before he turned around, and slowly started to walk right out of the store. He'd have to remember to pick that book up later, but for now he had a kid to find, and an odd looking fish house to investigate.

"Sure, I know I've seen Frisk interacting with a couple of them.  I hadn't thought much of them because well...not the strangest thing going on down here."

Ignia finishes up her burger before continuing.

"I don't think that had any actual meat in that.  Was pretty good anyway though."

-Hotland

Lucine and Prodditor leave the building, and spot a note on the ground.

"(Hey!  Go down the creepy alleyway on the right for some great deals!)"

It seems those may be the "Two Chicks" Burgerpants was talking about.

-Waterfall

Jun finds a large, fish-shaped house.  In front of the house, there is an old training dummy.

Lucine picked up the note, showing it to Proditor. It seemed like an unnecessary distraction, and sketchy to boot, but she wasn't sure if they should investigate regardless. "Do you think we should check it out?" The decision, however, was not made by Lucine. Opal, having been fairly unrestrained this whole time, elected to cause more trouble by flying off down the alleyway. "H-Hey, come back! You can't start doing this now!" Without waiting for Proditor's response, she took off after the sapient Mystic Code. "We're in the middle of something really important!"

"Is it as important as talking to some cat person at McDonald's?"

"You can read my mana levels! I was about to pass out!"

"Maybe you'd stop making things worse if you did."

"Why are you like this?"

Jun slowly starts to circle the house then, trying to figure out if anyone's inside of it at the moment, how many entrances and exits there are in the home, and whether or not it seems to be guarded or owned by anyone she knows.

-Waterfall

Jun notes that the house is currently on fire, and has been for at least an hour.  There is nothing in the house that would stop them entering, aside from that.

-Hotland

As Lucine chases down her wayward stick, they encounter two monsters standing in front of a dumpster, an Alley Cat, and an Alley Gator.

The monsters look at each other awkwardly.

CttCpVU.png

They say at the same time over each other.

Jun perks up considerably at the sight of a burning house, quickly sizing it up to see how bad the damage is, and rushing towards the front door to try and see if there's a way she could get inside to you know, potentially get any corpses out of the burning building. She briefly considers calling for help, but it really does seem like there's just her and the inanimate doll nearby.

-Waterfall

As Jun checks the building, the seemingly inanimate dummy coughs.

"I wouldn't worry about it.  Undyne just blew up her house making spaghetti with the Royal Scientist.  Apparently they had a big argument over whether or not anime is real and made up afterwards?"

The dummy shrugs.

"Captain Undyne is crazy, Crazy, CRAZY!"

Jun almost visibly tenses up a little as the inanimate dummy mentions the woman who had tried to kill him by name as the person who owned the house she had almost entered. "Uh, you sure it's going to be okay? Is everything in Undyne's house just fire proof or something?."