[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

Nader had already begun to pour himself a glass from the entire bottle of vodka that he'd just been handed (ah... just like home! Truly representative of the unified spirit of his country's two peoples) when he spotted out of the corner of his eye somebody approaching him. "Really, you've seen stranger? To be honest, maybe it's a little self-important, but I'd think a large heavily armored tiger-man-person with six guns hanging off of his armor would be really up near the top of the list." This, of course, was basically the first direct interaction between monsters (kind of) and humans in this world, and if he didn't feel so bizarrely elated right now, he'd probably have approached it with more gravitas.

But, hell, with her approach, this was totally fine. "You see a lot of people that look like us, then? Or do you just mean people who are stranger in a figurative sense? As far as I understand, the monsters around here have been locked away under that mountain for basically forever. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised by the nonchalance, though given the circumstances I'm not going to complain. A karaoke bar is a damn weird place for a first contact, but," He knocked back a shot of vodka. "Really, like I said, I'm not going to whine too much about it."

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucine, by this point, was idly turning about on the barstool, mentally debating whether she wanted to get in on the last of the karaoke or just relax for the moment. The conversation brewing drew her attention, and she ceased her rotation when she was pointed at the unfamiliar woman. "If you've seen stranger, are you maybe, um. . . not from around here?" It was a long shot, but given that they were a ragtag group of misfits traversing the multiverse, it wouldn't exactly be odd to encounter a mysterious trenchcoated woman doing the same. 

• 1 month later...

"Yeah.  You could say that," she says with a casual smirk, reaching for the gun at her side as Frisk SAVES.

Instantly, the atmosphere turns tense, and Frisk bursts into tears suddenly.

"My child?  What is wrong?" Toriel asks, taking a step forward, only for Asriel and Chara to grab her hands and pull her away.

"Nobody move!" the goat-child shouts, looking at the woman in the fedora with a hateful glare.

Unlike her previous demeanor, the woman is now utterly robotic in her precision, pulling a handgun from a hidden holster at her hip and firing it off into the air once.

Toriel jerks forwards, but stops when Frisk shouts her down.  "Don't do anything mom!"

The child keeps crying, tears flowing down their face.

"I need to go with her now.  We don't have a choice," Frisk explains, walking shakily over to the woman, who holsters her gun with economical movements.

"What the hell are you talking about kid?!" Undyne roars, looking ready to charge.

"If I don't do what she wants, everyone in this room dies," Frisk finally finishes, walking up next to the woman.

Everyone is frozen, nobody making the first move.

"Door to Brockton Bay," the woman utters, and a rectangular portal opens up in midair.

She says nothing, and several members of the party feel a stunning sense of deja-vu, of danger from the woman with the gun.

Nothing more needed to be said, it seems.  Whatever had been said had been said in the last six-dozen or so aborted timelines.

She doesn't need to say or do anything more, but she does look across the gathered monsters and humans slowly, before taking Frisk's hand and walking them towards the portal.

If this had happened when Nader arrived in this world - or, even more, in the middle of his total mental breakdown - Nader had no doubt that he would already have tried his damnedest to light the woman up with at least one gun, probably multiple. But after the... things that had happened here, Nader had his guns tied up in a bundle, not actually instantly accessible. And, besides that, there was a flash of memory that drew a rumbling sigh from him. He found that he had to realize that there wasn't any point to trying to fight this out, with everything he'd just learned. And if it was pointless... he shouldn't do it, he'd learned. It wasn't that the turn of events didn't make him angry - he gritted his newly reshaped teeth in impotent frustration, as the sense of helplessness that washed over him was one of the things he hated most.

But he spoke. "...wait a damned minute. I recognize your face, now. I saw you in one of the visions sent our way between worlds - and you were attempting to interfere in some way before it was cut off. I don't know what you are, but you're an actor on larger scale, aren't you? Multidimensional. I think I can imagine part of what your goal is with Frisk, here. And if I'm right, there's nothing we can do about it right now." Thanks to the power of DETERMINATION, Nader already knew that Frisk was capable of essentially traveling back in time. If that had not worked, nothing he would do now would. "I have to assume this means you know who we are, and that this ultimately means you won't see the last of us. I don't know if this is explicitly a threat, bluntly - I can't say on what terms you'll be seeing us, and I can't say which of us you'll be seeing. But something like this will lead to crossing paths, and no doubt involvement with the greater conflict. This is expected, I imagine? No reason to ask, maybe. But I have to wonder why to do this this way. Perhaps a reaction of us of some sort is expected."

Ignia got only enough time to turn and stand, dropping her drink before Frisk shouted out and she pause.  Immediately her heartrate raced, after all they'd done to save these kids she wasn't about to let this woman get away with Frisk.  Though what Frisk had said and the sudden deja-vu had the gut wrenching reaction of telling her she had no choice but to let them walk.
Her first clenched down on the wayfinder at her hip as she stared out, not towards the woman or Frisk, but analyzing the portal, the world beyond it, absorbing every detail and feeling of the world she was heading to, to make hunting her down that much easier.

• 2 months later...

As they walk through the portal, Frisk turns towards everyone one final time.

"It had to happen this way.  Keep them safe, alright?" Frisk asks.

Contessa glances at Nader, smirking in a calculated way.

With a wink, the portal closes, and the bar is left in silence.

PLOT COMPLETE