[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

Nader+Lucine

Toriel looks a bit startled.  "Oh, I see."

She walks away quickly into the other room, and Asgore comes out shortly afterwards.  He looks tired, but happy.

"Yes?  I was told I have visitors...?"

"Oh!  Lucine, it is very good to see you.  I am glad to see that you are well," he smiles, before turning to Nader.

"It seems you too, are well.  In a sense, at least."

-

Arminius

"Well, that's... interesting," Alphys says politely.

Merging Bombshell and Piglet together, the end result is a stronger, larger, far more socially clever Piglet!  It seems bombshell didn't have nearly enough force-of-personality to avoid being subsumed entirely.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nader reached up to scratch at one furry cheek. "To tell the truth, I think I feel more well than I ever have. My... affliction, I think, affects my soul in some way, now, but it's gone from my thoughts. Things haven't been so... clear... ever since the days with my family. It's hard to underestimate just how..." Nader searched for the words. "It's hard to understate just how much of a burden is gone from me now." Nader plopped both of his hands (well, paws) onto Asgore's shoulders. "But you know what this all means? What we were predicting would become of us the last time we, uh, spoke didn't come to pass. I wanted to come to you mostly to mention this:" Nader nodded firmly, looking into Asgore's eyes. "Everybody around us went and put in a truly incredible amount of effort. To bring an end to things without further people, human or monster or in-between, getting hurt. To free everybody without you dying like you were convinced you had to. To even go out of their way to put me into a new body even after the state that I was in and the thing that I did."

"Asgore... we've both been given second chances. It's not just some sort of twist of destiny -- it was through the deliberate actions of those around us. Maybe it's not strictly some sort of 'fresh start'; we won't forget the things that we've done, and we don't really have the right to ask other people to forget either. But we are being forgiven, or at least we're being given a second chance to do things right, to do what we need to to protect and cherish what we need to, this time without hurting those around us. And... I'm glad to get this chance." Nader moved his paws from Asgore's shoulders, and placed one paw over his heart. "So I solemnly swear not to squander it. I swear that I will take this second chance at life that I have been given, with the path ahead of me brighter and clearer than it's ever been, and I will forge ahead with it. I swear that I will make the most of what I have now, and I swear that I will continue my quest to protect my world and all worlds on more level-headed ground, to neither run away nor shoot feverishly, but to do what has to be done the way it should be done.."

That hand extended now, offering a handshake to Asgore. "I came here to get you to reflect on that second chance, and to swear the same. Not in the same words, obviously, and maybe not quite the same things. But you've been given your second chance just as I've been given mine, and you should take that second chance with eyes to the future and a promise to do better, too."

Asgore offers a teary smile. 

"In truth, I had only wished to see my wife and children once again.  And yet, despite the impossibility of that wish, here it is, granted in full, beyond even what I had hoped."

"How could I not grasp this chance with my own two hands, to right the wrongs of the past, and to do what I can to shape the future my children will inhabit?"

Asriel and Chara are peaking out from behind a doorframe, watching the exchange.

-

Around the same time, Frisk walks through the door, holding a large red Artifact.  They look somewhat vindicated.

"I knew something was off about this timeline, and this cinches it," they say, holding up the magical artifact.

"I have no clue what this is, because I've literally never gotten my hands on it before.  Never once.  A small white dog normally shows up and steals it no matter what I try.  Even using a hush puppy isn't normally enough to stop it."

"That said, I believe you all can put it to better use than I can," Frisk says, handing over the artifact to Lucine.

You obtained the Nav-G!  This mysterious object can guide your ship to a new world.

"I guess all that's left to do now is to get ready to go back to the surface.  Whenever you're all ready, I think we should go celebrate with some Karaoke.  Does that sound fun?"

The exchange happened in front of her while Lucine remained silent. She figured that everything that was to be said had been said already, and no interjection came to mind. She was glad she could help, and despite everything else that had come with it (and the anxieties that continued to follow after) she felt like she'd done something really good in the end. The magical girl had screwed up in a major way, but it worked out. That made it. . . okay?

Fortunately, Frisk's appearance provided a welcome distraction from her continued ruminations, especially as the odd artifact was passed to her. Lucine turned the object over in her hands, examining it. "I think I know what this is supposed to do, but I'm not sure how. . ." She made a mental note of studying it later. "Yeah, it'd be a huge break after all this. But, um. . ." She gestured vaguely down at her shirt, which still bore an approximately .60 cal sized hole and accompanying bloodstain. "Does anyone have anything I could change into?"

Arminius raises an eyebrow at the changes to Piglet. He inspects the gremlin for a bit before shrugging, mostly to himself. And mumbling something Alphys can't quite catch beyond "... Such a low amount of willpower." Finally, he turns back to Alphys.

"Horrifying, as unlikely it is that it'll ever happen to either of us. Still, I'd call this a success. Is there anything else I should test or should we call this good and probably never mention that incident again?"

• 2 weeks later...

Arminius-

"Y-yes, in fact, uhh, let's not mention that you can even do any of this..."

"I don't think the p-people here would be t-too pleased with uhh..."

"You know." she finishes, waving abstractly to Arminius's menagery.

Lucine-

When Lucine returns, the goat-kid notices her outfit and giggles uncontrollably, with emphasis on the "uncontrollable"

He is herded out of the room by Chara, who pats him on the back sympathetically.

"He is a bit excitable right now," Toriel apologizes.  It seems that regaining one's soul is not without side effects.

Nader reached out and gave Asgore a heavy pat on each shoulder, resting his hands there for a moment.

"Good man. That's what I wanted to hear. You're going to be having a lot of things to do from here on out, of course... getting your kingdom in order, after all of this, of course. Being with your family again, of course. But it's better that you're around to do those things, in the end." Nader sighed a little, and grew solemn. "With all of the chaos that has been going on, I'm not sure that anyone ever told you, but there's a major threat out there that's the reason we're here in the first place. Things called Trespassers -- they go around, bluntly enough, eating worlds. It's not something that you have to panic about right now, as I don't believe they are imminent; we're being sent around to help places that are likely to have to deal with these things pull themselves together and be ready. But... well, now you all have a way to go outside, you personally have a less miserable reason to rule, and everything is looking like it will start moving forward in new ways, now? Take advantage of that. I can't tell you if we'll ever be back or not, but when that day one day comes, make sure that you're ready." Nader lifted his hands from Asgore's shoulders.

"As for me... I heard what I needed to hear from you, so I... think I'm going to be going back to those labs. It... erh, with my situation as different as it is, now, I don't foresee having the same... well, I don't think I'll go crazy again. But I want to go see all of that with Gaster through to the end. I have to imagine he'd be very useful in helping you make progress down here, both for preparation for the Trespassers and just to improve things in general. And I guess that knowing all of the context around him, now... poor bastard really did not deserve being scattered through time and space like he was. Deserves to be set free from that if we can help him, and I think we can."

Asgore's brow furrows at the mention of Gaster.

"That's odd.  I seem to recall Dr. Alphys having been the Royal Scientist, and yet, I don't recall Dr. Gaster being removed from his position."

"No matter.  If information on how to aid Gaster is to be found anywhere, it would surely be at his laboratory.  I believe you were there once already."

Lucine drew back a bit at the giggling, looking self-conscious. "Is there something wrong with it? Did I put it on inside-out? I thought it fit okay. . ." The girl might have continued to speak, but Nader's words to Asgore and the ensuing reply provided enough of a distraction.

At the mention of someone being scattered through time and space, Lucine frowns as well. "Oh!" She moved closer to the pair, red eyes bright with excitement. "I know a little bit about something like that! Well, um, it's not really exactly the same, and I don't know if it actually applies, but Heroic Spirits supposedly exist outside of time and space. Maybe I could use some of my magic to help?"

• 3 weeks later...

Nader rubbed his hands (no, wait, paws, no... uh... huh, now that he was looking at them they were kind of in between) together as he considered Asgore's words. "Right... I had figured that would be the case. I suppose I should just get going, then. Like I said earlier, I think my entire situation is different now that I'm..." Nader paused and, failing to find succinct words, just gestured up and down at his newly tiger-y form. "Well, you know. I don't expect to run into the same sorts of problems, but just to be sure, I'm going to head down before I go..." Nader wrinkled his snout a bit as he considered the implications, "...retrieve my gear. There might be some danger involved there, perhaps, but... well, it has to be done, and I reckon it's likely that I can handle myself even without all of that equipment, at least a little."

Nader cleared his throat a little awkwardly and then clapped Asgore on the shoulder once more. "Well, then, I believe it's about time I go do that, then. Lucine, you don't have to come with me if you don't want to, but if you do, I'm heading back to the underground (er... extra underground?) laboratory, now." And with that (letting Asgore get in any parting words if he wanted to), Nader turned and began the walk to the lab.

Nader finds, once he returns to the lab, that Gaster's situation seems to have already been dealt with.

Another member of the party found a confluence of thick, churning darkness, and after purging it for hours, began to rip monster after monster free of the timeless void within it.

The skeletal scientist is investigating a vial of the black sludge that was once his entire world under a microscope.

Arminius nods. "Yeah.... Anyway, I'm going to go find the others and try to stay out of trouble... Who am I kidding, we're just going to get into trouble someplace else." Arminius chuckles to himself before clearing his throat. "Really though, thanks for the help. If you ever need some help you can count on me."

With that, Arminius starts heading off to find the rest of the group.

• 2 weeks later...

Nader let out a long breath, and began to approach Gaster, attempting for a moment to put his paws in his pockets before discovering slightly awkwardly that it wasn't really viable. He hadn't really expected everything to be already dealt with when he got there, which caused his mental train of thought to derail a bit, but... well, that made it a whole hell of a lot easier, Nader supposed. At least... perhaps this was an opportunity to finally get some closure. He let in and then released a breath. "So, you'd be Dr. Gaster, yeah?" There was a pause of a few seconds before Nader continued speaking. "I'm not in retrospect sure how much of an active part you really played in all of the events that happened down here... but I was down in this lab earlier. Since there was some manner of thing... well... wrong with me, I was able to see you and your companions, and your entries, and, well... it wasn't great for me, frankly. I was going to try to free you, but it looks like that's already been done... that spell Lucine, used, if it comes down to freeing..."

He shook his head. "Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm Nader Jabal - I was human when I was down here last, armored, and... quite armed." As disastrously as that had turned out. "did you observe me down there? If so, were you involved in my wanderings down there? I saw and was spoken to by your companions, and like I said I saw your lab entries detailing your work with KARMA. I spoke to Asgore about you too, since I did a stretch as a disembodied SOUL."

Gaster frowns.

"To be frank, I've no clue who you are.  Being scattered across time and space is... well, I would not recommend it, but unless you have traveled the same paths thousands upon thousands of times, I doubt I've seen you."

He pauses.

"Ah.  The branches of time.  Of reality.  So many iterations of the exact same event.  With so many ways it can unfold..."

"Parallel universe are... Very... Interesting.  Wouldn't you agree?"

Lost in his own little world, it takes Gaster a moment to process what Nader had said.

"You've read what I've left behind? It shouldn't be possible, and yet it isn't very well possible to lie about.  Curiouser and curiouser.  Lucine's spell did indeed free me and the others.  In a sense."

"It wasn't complete, but the rest of your friends proved more than capable of...  Tying up loose ends.  For that, I am obviously quite grateful.  I'm afraid I didn't see much of anything until it came to a close."

"You and your friends were... Only briefly in this world.  Both in the literal sense that you've been here for less than a day or so, and in the sense that you had so few timelines to your name."

"Is there something you require of me?  I'm afraid if it is a cure to confusion you're after, I have hardly enough for myself."

"Or perhaps you are here in search of something more tangible?"

Nader laughed a little at the good doctor's (well, frankly speaking, at least a bit better of a doctor than Alphys, if Asgore's memories and actions were any indication) admission that he had no idea who Nader was. Well... there was one avenue of closure out the window, right there, Nader supposed. But that wasn't all that he could talk to Gaster about, by any means. It was a bit funny, at least, that the same phrases he'd seen in the lab entries did pop up in the man's speech. It was just the way he spoke, apparently.

"Well, hah, I suppose I've just got to accept that. Hmm... well, if there's one thing you could do for me in terms of closure... could you help confirm for me the truth, at least to the best degree that you can? I think I was able to see your lab entries and the traces of your existence thanks to the fact that... well, there's no way to dance around it, there was something very wrong in my head for a very long time, and I was somehow hallucinating something that didn't actually exist anymore. At the time, I had been ranting and raving about... ah, damn, this is embarrassing to admit now, but about how you were trying to become a god and a mistake in the process of ascension fractured you across time, and that you set up all of those hallucinations to get me to accidentally cause you to regain your form. When ASGORE held my soul and my brain wasn't part of the equation, I thought about it more rationally. This was the set of conclusions I came to:

You... though frankly understandably no great fan of humans, didn't like Asgore's plan to just wait for them to fall down, and then take their souls at the came. Maybe you did or did not think it was cruel -you certainly didn't seem to want to request a large number of souls for experimentation, instead working with what you had- but it was certainly something that would have taken too long. You hoped to extract energy using human SOULS in a way that didn't destroy them, letting you use just the couple of SOULS you had access to to create a much much larger amount of energy than you should have had access to. You extracted energies called KARMA and DETERMINATION, the former of which apparently intrinsically damages human souls, and attempted to use them for the purpose of creating energy, but couldn't contain or use these in any practical way on their own. But you discovered parallel timelines and methods of partial time travel, able to send KARMA through time. You still couldn't quite use that on its own, because KARMA on its own decays, and those experiments themselves... didn't go very well, er, to put it lightly. But with that figured out, you attempted to bridge this knowledge to travel time, and then that experiment led to... well... you being scattered throughout time.

I may just be in my own little pocket of our pocket of the multiverse, but even then I've been through a lot, so if you could tell me how close I am to the truth... it would be appreciated. I'd like to put my own set of pieces back together, so to speak."

He paused, and then: "Oh, and I do actually have something important and material to tell you about, but that can wait just a bit."

Gaster listens patiently until the end.

"Two noteworthy things were found in the human SOUL I experimented on.  DETERMINATION, and KARMA.  Both merely empower a SOUL, for better or worse.  I found that both substances enabled me to send messages to the past, and change the future.  In practice, Determination allowed me to create information that did not, and could not exist, by manipulating the properties and behavior of electrons."

"My goal most certainly was not Godhood.  I planned to create a weapon powerful enough to shatter the barrier, using Paradox-Energy from a single human SOUL.  Like a capacitor that used time itself as the storage medium.  Nothing more.  Knowing what I do now, the experiment to convert Photons into Altered Neutrinos-"

He pauses.

Something seems to amuse him, and he begins to chuckle.

"Apologies.   I thought of something... Funny.  A coincidence."

"Did you know that the Degree of Freedom, a term in statistics used to describe how many variables in an equation are free to change, can be represented by the character "Nu"?"

"And did you know that Nu also represents, in atomic science, the Neutrino?"

"And-" he chuckles even more.

"It even represents the 'True Anomaly', a term in astrophysics which deals with the orbiting of stellar bodies?"

"Perhaps it's a coincidence, how this sordid tale dealt so heavily with that curious letter, that you all should arrive alongside The True Anomaly, the child that controls time, meddling in my failed Neutrino experiments, all of you granting us more Degrees of Freedom than we had before."

"Terrible, joke, I know."

His face becomes more grim.  "I digress.  The experiment was a failure.  The shock of so many people hidden in my lab shouting all at once to celebrate, in the chaos of it all, the experiment was damaged, the KARMA was released, alongside the slurry of Neutrinos.  My other self had no idea what happened.  After all, those people had never been born."

"I attempted to fix my mistake.  By quirk or fate, I remembered what my other self did not, perhaps because I walked into my laboratory at the exact moment my other self did.  I saw them cease to be without being exposed to the original event.  I decided to try and undo the experiment using Time Travel empowered by both Human Substances.  I failed.  My brother attempted to fix my machine, but it was impossible.  He believed it only required KARMA, as he somehow was made aware of the experiments prior."

He shrugs very slightly. "Truthfully, I had little care either way on the subject of Monsters and Humans.  The fact of the matter is, if we had been trapped underground for another... decade? Another decade, at our current population growth rate, we would have defeated the air intake capacity of the mountain's cracks and crevices."

"I've never told anyone, naturally, since there was no answer to that problem, but the fact of the matter is, everyone had concerns over space and food, trapped under this mountain, but the true killer would have been carbon dioxide.  Suffocation."  

"A war would have been preferable to that.  Even if every monster died, it would still have been a superior fate to just dying in the darkness, and what would have been far more likely is monsters being forced back underground yet again, with a reduced population."

He looks at Nader.  "You may think of it as particularly cruel of me to think this way, but yes, I considered the possibility of our genocide to be a far better result than what would have happened if we had waited or stayed.  Indeed, I'm surprised that we even managed to get all seven, dead or alive.  The fact of the matter is, it shouldn't be statistically possible for that many humans to fall down here."

"The royal human died twenty years ago, and in twenty years, seven more fell down, despite the mountain's reputation for being cursed?  Despite them continuing to fall?  Does that not strike you as... Odd?  It would mean that either the mountain is swarming with humans, or every two to three years, a human from the same generation as one who disappeared decided to follow in their footsteps."

"And if they sought their end, why were their remains found all over the underground?  There are only three entrances.  Only one was used, the one Madam Toriel lived near."

"Did they all seek freedom, where once they sought death?" he continues.

He shakes his head.  "It disturbs me, that my assumptions were wrong.  I predicted that, on average, one human per millennium would fall.  Once per century if we were lucky.  We were trapped down here for thousands of years, and then, in the two decades before our freedom, no less than 8 humans, not including your group, all fell down here."

"These irregularities consume me, in my moments of lucidity, and now that I've returned, those moments are quite long indeed."

He seems to remember himself.

"I've gotten off topic.  Have I explained myself adequately to your liking?"

• 1 month later...

Nader took in a deep breath, looked out, and sighed. "To tell you the truth... well, while the technical explanation is nice to have, because it helps me clear the vestiges of that... fucked-up set of delusions I'd been operating on... well, it's your explanation of your logic that gets me, in a different way. It... hits home, I guess. See, I'm not actually a pacifist person - not at all, really. My whole people isn't pacifist. I come from a country called Forenia, which time and time again has managed to secure its freedom only through bloody fighting, and which has people trying to conquer it... well, right now. And we've been forced into pragmatic decisions. We've had to ally with monsters --er, uh, the metaphorical kind, sorry-- in order to fight off this invasion from foes nearly as awful, and though I've been acting to fix some of the wrongs involved there... even my own work has been at times purely pragmatic.

And they're not the exact same situation, but... well, I have been faced with the choice before of staying trapped or fighting my way out, and I chose fighting." Nader adjusted his sleeves in a short bit of fidgeting, not having expected to open up on this much to so many people so soon... but the change in his circumstances made it a hell of a lot easier, that was for sure. "So, no, I don't really find that I blame you for your logic. And I think that's maybe something that's common to people, human or monster. In the end, most of us just find that fighting it out is the purest way to struggle for our freedom. Sure, you've got the occasional person who is deeply peaceful in their heart... Asgore is that way, despite the whole soul scheme. But I'm not. And I don't think you have to be either. So maybe my second read of things was off a bit... I don't condemn you for it."

He cleared his throat. "...and there I go off rambling myself. But... yes, I think I'm alright with your explanation. Which leads me to my second order of business: there's another fight coming, and it's almost certainly not going to be one you guys are going to be able to avoid. I don't mean with the humans aboveground, you can probably figure something out there, politics is a pliable thing. But we're not the only things going between worlds - there are things called Trespassers which have the express intent of eating worlds. I'm not sure that the monsters around here benefit from being told this in general... with how much hope and despair seem to matter, I don't know that I'd weigh this on most of them. But I think you've probably got the most important set of talents to help prepare. A fight is coming to this world... and you will need to be prepared for attackers when they come."

• 2 weeks later...

Gaster nods.

"Of course.  I'm sure a solution is forthcoming.  After all, the future approaches, young man."

"By god it finally approaches."

-THE SURFACE-

By coincidence or intent, Frisk eventually rounds up the monsters, humans, and others, bringing them to the surface.

The sun is rising as everyone walks out of the Underground's exit, casting light over Mt. Ebbot.

Asgore finally breaks the awestruck silence.  "Nice day today, huh?  Birds are singing, flowers are blooming..."

"Perfect day for a game of catch."

gzhPwHC.png

Everyone looks at Asriel sharply.

fpiKSv1.png

1577034109_TheEnd!.png.16b5a1eb5c6c393130c9212c4a4f0d31.png

-The Karaoke Bar

True to their word, Frisk's first call was to drag everyone to a Karaoke bar, one whose staff was too stunned and confused by the sudden influx of otherworldly monsters to comment on the children, who were already rushing to the stage,

Clumsily, Frisk paws at the equipment until the music begins to play, and sings like the child they really are.

Spoiler

Sitting at a stool at the karaoke bar, after taking a moment to verify that the weight of all his gear wasn't going to cause it to turn into a pile of splinters, Nader leaned an arm on the table and couldn't help but feel relaxed. Actually, now that he thought about it, he reflected that he should probably be feeling way more of a sense of urgency than he was. After all, this moment was a big deal - the second time in this world since that far-off war where humans and monsters met, and maybe the first one big enough to really make waves, if he had to guess. But, well... after everything that had gone on, down there in the underground, after all that it had meant for him, all he had gone through, the way he was now changed...

...well, it was hard to feel anything but laid-back, something the sound of carefree childish singing wasn't really helping. He swivelled a now-tiger-y head to look around the bar, and... "Y'know what? After all of this, I could really use a drink." He considered for a moment. No chance they had arak, nobody outside of Forenia seemed to know what the hell that he even was, but vodka? Yeah, that wasn't a half bad bet. He patted for where his wallet was under his armor, preparing to unhook a plate and awkwardly shimmy a hand between his armor backing and his pants, but then... "Aw, fuck. Do, uh... do any of you have any American money? At least I assume we're in the states. I kind of, uh... only have Forenian money on me."

Lucine scratched at her head. She'd climbed up next to Nader out of habit; the girl wasn't much for singing and dancing publicly, and she was tired to boot. "Um. I think I have a couple euros, but that's not the same thing." The magical girl frowned. "I don't suppose telling them we just saved half the world will get us anything for free?"

If he was being honest, Proditor felt somewhat uncomfortable just by being in a place like this. He had braved wars, fought against horrors that could shatter the mind of normal humans, yet a human karaoke bar was enough to make him feel odd. He didn't exactly feel like he should be spending time here, not when there was more work to be done... Yet he didn't have the heart to go against everyone's desire for a bit of rest, especially with the child being so engrossed in their unique singing.

So, as visibly uncomfortable as he was, Proditor simply tried to relax, floating just out of the group's way as he watched. He did register Nader's request for money, but didn't give a response. It was rather obvious that Proditor didn't have any 'American money' on him... Not that he needed it in the first place.

... The fact that Nader was now seemingly part Tiger did cross Proditor's mind for a moment, now that he had a chance to think on it, but he quickly brushed off the fact. It was honestly one of the less odd parts of Nader's odd character.

Those of the group looking for refreshments quickly discover that, apparently, shortly after entering, Toriel had set a sack of gold coins on the counter, which quickly mollified the owner and more than paid for everyone's orders.  It certainly helps that this particular Karaoke bar was having a slow night.

As a bottle of vodka is brought to him, Nader notices a woman glancing at him from across the bar, wearing a fedora and a trench-coat.  She looks interested in the various monsters getting into shenanigans.

"You're all pretty odd folks, huh?" she comments, taking a measured sip of some hard drink.

She shrugs. "I've seen stranger, personally."

The children seem to be winding down after a few more songs, and Frisk skips over to a spot near the door that seems to glitter for a few of the party members.