Gen 5 - Shiny Thread | Public Development

Jan

• Global Mods

Here's backs for our boys in black, with slight edits to scraggy and a female variant if you can/would want to add shiny gender variants for a pokemon that doesn't have them normally

559s.png559sb.png

560s.png560sb.png

559s2.png559sb2.png

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Jan said:

Hahaha... Oh yeah, I have a Shiny Thread. I-I've been busy lately *trips over copy of Zelda:Botw* S-Sorry, was

holding that for a friend. Anyway, let's get started.

Unfezant is good. Foongus is taken, though. I think I'm just going to use the Tympole line without the logo.

Hm, the yellow is good, but I dunno how I feel about the whole thing being yellow. It's a little plain. 

Try adding a color to the bottom of the sprite, maybe?

These look really awesome, and the Team Skull Scraggy/Scrafty are pretty awesome too. Keep it up!

The idea is cool, but it's also still a little plain. Not sure what to suggest here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Time Gears are approved!

*Thumbs up emoji*

Looks good to me !

I like the second one more, personally

beautfiul. approved.

Approved!

Perfect!! Approved!

Looks good so far!

I think we should stay away from bright colors with Purrloin. T he way the sprite was made makes it very hard to make it

look passable. (This is because the original shading was done with darker colors, so it didnt need too much shading)

Approved.

Hm... I'm not sure if I'm too fond of this color scheme. Perhaps try another one?

This is a really pretty concept! I like it a lot!

This is pretty good! All I need is a backsprite. 

No worries.  An update was all I needed! Good luck. 

@Jan, i re-colored purrloin and liepard with some dark colors, how about these? 

509.png

510.png

Edited by Amine elhedhili

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, Jmanultrax1 said:

So I did a few more spider designs, thanks to the people who gave some suggestions. The ones below in order are Tarantula, Pink-toed, and Blue cobalt

ttula1.pngttula2.png

pts1.pngpts2.png

cb1.pngcb2.png

I think the orange and black is definitely my favourite here. also reborn's is blue anyway.

1 hour ago, DreamblitzX said:

I think the orange and black is definitely my favourite here. also reborn's is blue anyway.

I think reborns shiny is a just the colours switched. I'm not too sure

• Developers
23 hours ago, WSGreen said:

Here are that back sprites for patrat and watchog aswell as the proper fronts.

504.png505.png504b.png505b.png

approved. 

20 hours ago, Felcatty said:

Hey Jan, just wanted to say that you skipped over Archen and Archeops (I had them in a spoiler tab; I did quite a few variants)

Although to save you time finding them here they are again:

Hide contents

566s.png566bs.png567s.png567bs.png

566s2.png566bs2.png567s2.png567bs2.png

566s3.png566bs3.png567s3.png567bs3.png

566s4.png566bs4.png567s4.png567bs4.png

These are all SO good. I think the last one is my favorite though. What do you think? 

20 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

Here's backs for our boys in black, with slight edits to scraggy and a female variant if you can/would want to add shiny gender variants for a pokemon that doesn't have them normally

559s.png559sb.png

560s.png560sb.png

559s2.png559sb2.png

Approved!

19 hours ago, Amine elhedhili said:

@Jan, i re-colored purrloin and liepard with some dark colors, how about these? 

509.png

510.png

Hm... Canon Liepard is already read. Perhaps try a navy blue? 

16 hours ago, Bazaro said:

dc156921b8c4417d8f136bbe8f36fa36.png8488a2d955db4822abf2807147017613.png

Have an ancient looking bird-wind-chime-whatever-it-is thing

Looks cool! Approved.

16 hours ago, Jmanultrax1 said:

So I did a few more spider designs, thanks to the people who gave some suggestions. The ones below in order are Tarantula, Pink-toed, and Blue cobalt

ttula1.pngttula2.png

pts1.pngpts2.png

cb1.pngcb2.png

The last one is definitely my favorite one. It looks so cool! Only thing is the black outlines inside of the blue fur on the back stand out a lot. You should make them lighter so that they don't stand out as much. 

22 hours ago, Trevore said:

It works much better than before!  I'll go ahead and get started on the backsprite for Sawk.  Does Throh look okay?

Throh looked good to me!

4 hours ago, Jan said:

approved. 

These are all SO good. I think the last one is my favorite though. What do you think? 

Approved!

Looks cool! Approved.

The last one is definitely my favorite one. It looks so cool! Only thing is the black outlines inside of the blue fur on the back stand out a lot. You should make them lighter so that they don't stand out as much. 

Throh looked good to me!

You want the blue fur lighter or the black highlights lighter?

Just now, Jan said:

approved. 

Approved!

Looks cool! Approved.

Throh looked good to me!

okay i did two versions, and i hope i used the right blue

509 - Copie.png

509.png

510 - Copie.png

510.png

@Jan, some people suggested that i lower the saturation of the blue, so i came up with this

509s2.png.479756057c0b980d9381413553cd4ed7.png

510s.png.7790828ba2c9edc152f799ec47aff4ef.png

@Amine elhedhili I think the blue is really harsh on the eyes, try lowering the saturation a bit (make it a bit duller), there's also shading loss particularly on Liepard. Just curious, what program do you use (if you've said before sorry for not noticing)?

Just my opinion.

• Global Mods

Sorry if it's not my place to post this, but if you want an example of what the good people above me have said, maybe something like this?

509s2.png510s.png

(though it does seem a slight shame to have the body and the eyeshadow part be almost the same colour)

The easiest way to match the shading on a base sprite is to use a program which allows you to select all pixels of a certain colour, and then replace those with another colour.

Just now, Felcatty said:

@Amine elhedhili I think the blue is really harsh on the eyes, try lowering the saturation a bit (make it a bit duller), there's also shading loss particularly on Liepard. Just curious, what program do you use (if you've said before sorry for not noticing)?

Just my opinion.

Hi @Felcatty, Jan said its better to use some darker colours, so i chose those colors, can you tell me what do you mean by shading loss? thanks in advance for the tips^^

as for the program, i'm using paint (still learning how to use Graphics gale)

@Amine elhedhili Sorry if I'm not specific, that really is my fault. Take a look at DreamblitzX's example above your post to see if it gives you any ideas. I don't mean brighten the colours just reduce the saturation from 255 because that blue you've used, while I'm not disagreeing that it's a dark colour it just hurts the eyes a bit. So instead of having a really high saturation, head towards a more a greyish blue by gradually lowering the saturation bar (This will probably make more sense when I explain Graphics Gale below). As for shading I think the best way is to show you.

Let's take your Liepard and compare it with the original sprite:

510.png58c0bb912106f_510-Copie_png_72c61ce68df49c12baaef5a189e0abe6.png

If you look carefully you might be able to see some shadows (a darker colour) on the original Liepard's stomach and rear leg(s), yours has one block colour causing the sprite to appear as though there is no shadow on the pokemon. So what I'm really trying to say here is that shading = a pokemon's shadow. For the most part, without a shadow effect, the sprite could lose a lot of detail and features.

I found Graphics Gale quite a fun program to mess around with.

This is a video on Graphics Gale by Ame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmeQbY7sP0

(if you don't want watch the video) all you need to do is find:
All Frames (at the top)

-> Color Depth...

->Dither

From here you can mess with different colours and by using the HSL bar located under your colour set you can freely change colour, saturation, and brightness

Here's what I see when I do these steps (HSL bar included) with your Liepard:
Capture.PNG

I also right click on the image using the pen tool, that way I don't make a mistake about which colour I want to change.

I'd recommend taking a bit of time just messing around with program itself, after that restart the sprite and try implementing the colours again. I know it's time consuming to restart but it's definitely worth it to take in a new perspective and start fresh as well as to make sure you didn't miss anything. See how you go :) 

I was really trying to make this not sound like a lecture, I think I failed :P. Hope I gave you an idea though.

Does anyone else want add anything I may have missed?

Edited by Felcatty

Okay, i hope i didn't put too much of a challenge on this one... Without further ado, here comes Rainbow-Alomomola !

594.png

P.S. : I know the stripes aren't really well placed with each others, but it's only a first draw, to see if it looks good or if i should go for something else. I'm pretty confident that i can finish it but i'd like some advices before going further on this one.

Just now, Bazaro said:

Somewhere along the line on this Purrloin line, you lost the outline on the eyebrows (on both sprites) Just putting it out there

oh i didn't notice that, i'll fix it quickly, thanks for pointing that out :)

Just now, DreamblitzX said:

Sorry if it's not my place to post this, but if you want an example of what the good people above me have said, maybe something like this?

509s2.png510s.png

(though it does seem a slight shame to have the body and the eyeshadow part be almost the same colour)

The easiest way to match the shading on a base sprite is to use a program which allows you to select all pixels of a certain colour, and then replace those with another colour.

i see, then i just have to lessen the saturation of the blue color, thanks :)

Just now, Felcatty said:

@Amine elhedhili Sorry if I'm not specific, that really is my fault. Take a look at DreamblitzX's example above your post to see if it gives you any ideas. I don't mean brighten the colours just reduce the saturation from 255 because that blue you've used, while I'm not disagreeing that it's a dark colour it just hurts the eyes a bit. So instead of having a really high saturation, head towards a more a greyish blue by gradually lowering the saturation bar (This will probably make more sense when I explain Graphics Gale below). As for shading I think the best way is to show you.

Let's take your Liepard and compare it with the original sprite:

510.png58c0bb912106f_510-Copie_png_72c61ce68df49c12baaef5a189e0abe6.png

If you look carefully you might be able to see some shadows (a darker colour) on the original Liepard's stomach and rear leg(s), yours has one block colour causing the sprite to appear as though there is no shadow on the pokemon. So what I'm really trying to say here is that shading = a pokemon's shadow. For the most part, without a shadow effect, the sprite could lose a lot of detail and features.

I found Graphics Gale quite a fun program to mess around with.

This is a video on Graphics Gale by Ame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmeQbY7sP0

(if you don't want watch the video) all you need to do is find:
All Frames (at the top)

-> Color Depth...

->Dither

From here you can mess with different colours and by using the HSL bar located under your colour set you can freely change colour, saturation, and brightness

Here's what I see when I do these steps (HSL bar included) with your Liepard:
Capture.PNG

I also right click on the image using the pen tool, that way I don't make a mistake about which colour I want to change.

I'd recommend taking a bit of time just messing around with program itself, after that restart the sprite and try implementing the colours again. I know it's time consuming to restart but it's definitely worth it to take in a new perspective and start fresh as well as to make sure you didn't miss anything. See how you go :) 

I was really trying to make this not sound like a lecture, I think I failed :P. Hope I gave you an idea though.

Does anyone else want add anything I may have missed?

i see, okay thanks that was very helpful, its alright i liked your lecture :D i'm grateful for your help, sorry i didn't help with your sprites but i think you're doing a great job^^

@Felcatty, i edited my post, how about the new sprite? i think its alright (?)

Krookodile line frontsprites. If these are allright I'll make the backsprites.

Sandile.pngKrokorok.pngKrookodile.png

I'll start on the foongus line after this.

Also, Jan, you put my name behind alomomola. I don't mind doing it, but I didn't claim it :P 

• Developers
16 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

509s2.png510s.png

This is what I had in mind, yeah.

3 hours ago, KmK said:

Krookodile line frontsprites. If these are allright I'll make the backsprites.

Sandile.pngKrokorok.pngKrookodile.png

I'll start on the foongus line after this.

Also, Jan, you put my name behind alomomola. I don't mind doing it, but I didn't claim it :P 

This is looking cool! I'll fix the alomomola thing as well.

5 hours ago, Siragon said:

Okay, i hope i didn't put too much of a challenge on this one... Without further ado, here comes Rainbow-Alomomola !

594.png

P.S. : I know the stripes aren't really well placed with each others, but it's only a first draw, to see if it looks good or if i should go for something else. I'm pretty confident that i can finish it but i'd like some advices before going further on this one.

1 hour ago, Bluedodobob said:

Gradients take a lot more time than I thought they would.

Anyway, Meloetta

648s.png648s_1.png

Backsprites should come tomorrow.

These are really cool, but I think we're overdoing the rainbow thing. It's becoming the new black. Edit: Does anyone have any suggestions for what Alomomola could look like? Assuming they don't already have an idea for one. 

I think it sort of does fit Meloetta the most, so I suppose we can keep these. 

@Amine elhedhili That blue is definitely more easy on the eyes, you can even make it a little darker if you want to show off those dark colours, I think the main aspect now is shading. I find blue a tricky colour to work with regarding shading since you don't want it too dark that the shading becomes black, however there are areas where you shading could be darker so that it becomes more noticeable. There's also still shading loss on it's rear right leg but you're definitely getting there, keep it up :)

Also I don't have a lot to do so if anyone needs help, I can help out as well :) 

Edit: Like DreamblitzX did below, I also tested a few colours for Alomamola, here are few that could work:

Spoiler

594s2.png594s3.png594s4.png

I think Alomamola just needs simple colours and nothing too flashy, I also agree with what DreamblitzX said below, that teal could be a very good colour on Alomamola

Edited by Felcatty

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, Jan said:

These are really cool, but I think we're overdoing the rainbow thing. It's becoming the new black. Edit: Does anyone have any suggestions for what Alomomola could look like? Assuming they don't already have an idea for one.

Maybe something with various tealy blues, sorta like the sunfish it appears to be inspired by.

how about something like this?

594s.png

Just now, Jan said:

This is what I had in mind, yeah.

This is looking cool! I'll fix the alomomola thing as well.

I think it sort of does fit Meloetta the most, so I suppose we can keep these. 

then i'll do the back sprites (?) i'll be focusing on the shading as i missed the part of liepard's rear right leg, also there are areas where shading could be darker so that it's more noticeable^^

Just now, Felcatty said:

@Amine elhedhili That blue is definitely more easy on the eyes, you can even make it a little darker if you want to show off those dark colours, I think the main aspect now is shading. I find blue a tricky colour to work with regarding shading since you don't want it too dark that the shading becomes black, however there are areas where you shading could be darker so that it becomes more noticeable. There's also still shading loss on it's rear right leg but you're definitely getting there, keep it up :)

Also I don't have a lot to do so if anyone needs help, I can help out as well :) 

again thnks :D