Underrated moves in reborn

RebornRejuvinator

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toxic Spikes and Venoshock! It is a pretty useful combo for my Roserade as the TM for Sludge Bomb is not available yet. Plus, I can lay down two layers if the boss I am facing has particularly bulky Pokemon or one layer if I want to net more OHKOs. Pretty diverse move if you ask me~

504cdc8837e0413c922cd69673f12ea6.png

I don't know if it counts as an underrated move, but another one I've come to really appreciate from both my Ice Mono and Hardcore runs: Charm. Especially Meowstic-M with Prankster with it. It is able to so thoroughly shut down physical attackers (Including all of Solaris' team (bar maybe his Mandibuzz, I don't know, it never really got a chance to do much)) and it's surprisingly widespread (Charm Beartic anyone?).

• Global Mods

I've tried to stay away from all the cheese like perish song and destiny bond for those boss kills, but I have seen from my friends playing that the terrain moves are incredibly powerful. not so much for any boost to your team, but just for neutering any hard fights that utilise terrain (looking at you Aya) so tbh I'd actually like if in future the AI trainers had some way to counter/break these to reinstate their fields.

I don't know if it counts as an underrated move, but another one I've come to really appreciate from both my Ice Mono and Hardcore runs: Charm. Especially Meowstic-M with Prankster with it. It is able to so thoroughly shut down physical attackers (Including all of Solaris' team (bar maybe his Mandibuzz, I don't know, it never really got a chance to do much)) and it's surprisingly widespread (Charm Beartic anyone?).

I actually had the same thing with Cute Charm on my Sylveon throughout my playthrough. It helped me a surprising amount of times.

I fully agree on the Acid Spray and Screech part.

I love Glare. It's a paralyzing move that works on grass and ground types unlike the counterparts Stun Spore or Thunder Wave. The only thing you can't paralyze with it are pesky electric types. I don't use an Arbok on my reborn run, but I have one in Rejuvenation and it's the best debuffer I've ever had. Intimidate and a bit of bulk helps you get the Glare in, crippling their speed which allows you to get either a Screech or an Acid Spray off for certain. The parahax might even let you debuff them more or get a free swap into whatever you use to do the mercy killing.

I fully agree on the Acid Spray and Screech part.

I love Glare. It's a paralyzing move that works on grass and ground types unlike the counterparts Stun Spore or Thunder Wave. The only thing you can't paralyze with it are pesky electric types. I don't use an Arbok on my reborn run, but I have one in Rejuvenation and it's the best debuffer I've ever had. Intimidate and a bit of bulk helps you get the Glare in, crippling their speed which allows you to get either a Screech or an Acid Spray off for certain. The parahax might even let you debuff them more or get a free swap into whatever you use to do the mercy killing.

Finally someone else who appreciates arbok. I sued him in my poison/electric run and he was useful all the way up till Terra. Dude is massively underrated IMO in that what he lacks in power makes up for his ability in debuffing opponents.

Finally someone else who appreciates arbok. I sued him in my poison/electric run and he was useful all the way up till Terra. Dude is massively underrated IMO in that what he lacks in power makes up for his ability in debuffing opponents.

early game gllare + wrap + screech + bite tangrowth cheese

Thing is, Arbok provides massive utility for the early to mid game but falls behind pretty fast once you have access to a wider range of more powerful mons. From Aya on it's becoming hard to justify a spot for him.

Though Acid Spray is incredibly useful against a number of strong foes indeed.

Most significant for me has to be acid spray, lot of early mons learn it and its extremely useful for the big boss/pulse battles. Haven't seen anyone mention sticky web, Used a leavanny with it and it makes some of the leaders with faster pokemon total pushovers (especially kiki and charlotte). Also, not an attack, but any pokemon with moxie isan absolute champ in this. pretty much broke the game with moxie/dragon dance scrafty

Sand attack/flash etc.., in particular in combination with substitute.

It's a kind of cheap strategy, but it honestly trivializes almost every difficult 1v1 fight in the game. Decrease accuracy, spam substitute and setup moves and then sweep. In PvP there are countless ways it could be countered (.. the most obvious being just switch out the debuffed pokemon), but the AI isn't intelligent enough to deal with it.

For me it's stockpile and belly drum. It maybe quite hard to use in showdown but my Snorlax is OP with them in Reborn. The Stockpile buff keeps it from dying after using Belly Drum and a Belly Drummed Giga Impact can wipe a whole team, except Ghost type of course.

Sand attack/flash etc.., in particular in combination with substitute.

It's a kind of cheap strategy, but it honestly trivializes almost every difficult 1v1 fight in the game. Decrease accuracy, spam substitute and setup moves and then sweep. In PvP there are countless ways it could be countered (.. the most obvious being just switch out the debuffed pokemon), but the AI isn't intelligent enough to deal with it.

Rant alert:

You guys could stop saying that legit strategies that don't rely only on brute force "cheap". I see this everywhere on this forum and I honestly don't get it. If you are using the resources the game gives you to win, how is this being cheap? It's almost like people think the only legit way to win is having a full team of overleveled mary suemons pseudo-legendaries and mindlessly attacking without giving it much thought. Of course, there is nothing wrong with using only super-strong Pokémon with great stats if that is your thing and you are not cheating, but I personally find it much more interesting to use status moves, stall strategies and trying different ways to use underrated Pokémon.

There is nothing "cheap" about using actual strategies to win.

Rant alert:

You guys could stop saying that legit strategies that don't rely only on brute force "cheap". I see this everywhere on this forum and I honestly don't get it. If you are using the resources the game gives you to win, how is this being cheap? It's almost like people think the only legit way to win is having a full team of overleveled mary suemons pseudo-legendaries and mindlessly attacking without giving it much thought. Of course, there is nothing wrong with using only super-strong Pokémon with great stats if that is your thing and you are not cheating, but I personally find it much more interesting to use status moves, stall strategies and trying different ways to use underrated Pokémon.

There is nothing "cheap" about using actual strategies to win.

The timeless conflict between stall and sweep. Shall we see its end someday? Only Arceus knows...

Perhaps cheap is being used but like 'edgy' or 'edge' the true meaning or original meaning is forgotten but to clarify what I think people mean when they say something is a 'cheap' method is that it is too easy to do while the result being success often enough it is very boring or suffers the loss of intensity, where brute force will at the cost of reduction in chance of success and increase in difficulty sometimes, it just maintain the intensity.

But before this goes off topic if it hasn't already I've always found moves that change the user or targets type can turn a field against an opponent or bring the field effect's favour to the user be it making yourself heal over time or immune to those pesky status ailments to turning that god awful Pulse Swalot into a joke when Soak makes him purely Water type and he suffers CHUNKS of DoT due to the field effect. Sometimes that one type change is the one thing that changes the outcome of a battle

There is no cheap tactic in battle

If sweeping is your thing then use it

If stalling is your thing then why not

Using legendaries, the pseudo, the forgotten, the one called useless by other people, even just your favorite? Whoa there, lol okay bring it

But if you know how to counter every strategy, then that my friend, is where you are qualified as a very good pokemon trainer

Now for the on topic

Any move that lower/raising one stat one stage (growl, sand attack, etc), it's probably the first move that will be deleted in my pokemon moveset... I'm a sweeper after all XD can't use them to their fullest effect

Aqua ring and hail on my walrein is perhaps my favorite set. Aqua ring + ice body from hail + leftovers allows for some insane healing at the end of each turn. Not to mention, when hail is active, walrein gets 100% accuracy on blizzard. When paired with surf, walrein becomes a monster in double battles.