[IC] TotMV:G2: The Battered Hero

Chevaleresse

2 hours ago, Powder Miner said:

Isobel had headed into the castle when other people had begun to flood into it, not having had a whole lot to do in this mystery world she'd found herself in besides ruminate on the problems that had been brought up by the appearance of that horribly, horribly wounded man -- not even by the terrible visions that she'd cowered under so much as what he'd said -- the little briefing. War, fighting monsters, saving the universe, all of that, it made sense. Everyone around her looked like some variety of magical person (though not Space Wizards at least), or a warrior, Kyle was a gangster and surely he knew how to fight, plus there had been the big metal AI woman (who had taken a grenade) and what looked an awful lot like a dragon. Even the little AI she has found herself being essentially the carrier for was some sort of tactical genius, or something like that.

So why was she here? Isobel didn't understand. She'd never taken down anyone evil or charged through any fires or cast any intricate spells or trained in swords, any of that. Sure, she'd managed to dodge a gunshot or two in her time aboard the Exodus, but... that wasn't honestly that unusual for a stationer like her, attacks or something of the sort were usually pretty much weekly. Isobel didn't know what she contributed. She was holding LOTUS when they were both summoned, so... maybe she'd just been accidentally picked up too? Was she supposed to be here? She didn't feel... worthy, she supposed, compared to how strong and formidable everyone else around her no doubt was. She was just a botanist.

Isobel took a turn into the nearest room --which as a matter of fact happened to be the Barracks, and leaned against a wall, eyes downcast and kicking lightly at the floor while LOTUS seemed to be watching his carrier, a ":/" expression plastered onto his screen.  "You're sure whatever you're moping about isn't a big enough deal to actually be affecting you?" "No... ...look, I'm okay. I'm fine." LOTUS moved his eye-dots on the screen back from their position "looking up" and instead examined what was going on in the Barracks area itself.

"You seems to be quite troubled." Leon suddenly appeared in the Barrack, after probably exploring the castle.

she seems not suited for battle, why the hell is the Multiverse choose her on this war?

LOTUS' little dot eyes tracked over to Leon, now, as Isobel twitched as she started with surprise, turning quickly towards Leon -- she hadn't been expecting to be addressed. After a moment to process what he'd said, though, Isobel's expression morphed into one of slight guilt. She opened her mouth but was beat to the punch, actually, by LOTUS. "Yeah, see, that's what I said. Care to share with the class? If you're like this when we actually get to the whole "fighting terrible monsters from beyond" part of the deal it might actually be a bit of a problem." "LOTUS, what-- ugh... look, it's not that bad. After that sort of revelation I'm allowed to be a bit upset, aren't I?" But despite her words she was clearly rather more upset than nigh everyone else in the area.

"The modern fuel cell is made possible by our discovery of a catalyst that separates liquid hydrogen and oxygen from water at temperatures as low as four degrees Celsius," Alexandria explains helpfully, "Storing the results in pressurized containers before they evaporate and adding a an electrical dynamo to the device was not a difficult problem for our engineers, comparatively speaking.  Fuel cells revolutionized our portable technology.  They store approximately fifty times the energy that a chemical battery of similar size could."

Solomon wordlessly hands Isobel a medium sized book with the words "Don't Panic" written in large white letters on it, along with a chocolate coin, he then says "Your current handler seems to be having some problems with the sheer magnitude of our quest, I suggest that the both of you find a room and rest for now, she looks like she could use some" to LOTUS.

58 minutes ago, Powder Miner said:

LOTUS' little dot eyes tracked over to Leon, now, as Isobel twitched as she started with surprise, turning quickly towards Leon -- she hadn't been expecting to be addressed. After a moment to process what he'd said, though, Isobel's expression morphed into one of slight guilt. She opened her mouth but was beat to the punch, actually, by LOTUS. "Yeah, see, that's what I said. Care to share with the class? If you're like this when we actually get to the whole "fighting terrible monsters from beyond" part of the deal it might actually be a bit of a problem." "LOTUS, what-- ugh... look, it's not that bad. After that sort of revelation I'm allowed to be a bit upset, aren't I?" But despite her words she was clearly rather more upset than nigh everyone else in the area.

"True that, but try not to be upset for too long, if we want to return to our world, we have to give it all we got on this war... not that I'm the one who should talk, since I tend to goof off in battle." He laugh. "Anyway call me Leon. Leon Vermillion."

Izumi Kurosawa; Barracks

"Shotgun; semiautomatic. Not doing me much good here, so until Sif here can arrange for some ofuda, I'm down to just curses."

She neglects to mention just how they are powered, wasn't too sure herself right now. This world, it definitely had impurity, the monster was proof of that, but it was, different somehow. Inert. Weaker. Hell, Sif said he could even remove it here. A silver bullet, and no reason to use it. Great.

Dimitri Kutznetsov; Barracks

"A catalyst you say? A metamaterial of some kind? Or is it more, exotic? As you can well tell, we do not have such luxuries. A magazine for us must accommodate both the bullet and the propellant, be it explosive or electrical. It is, why my rifle is still akin to those of old. Save for of course, a q-procc to aim it." He had timed his words with his work such that he had a hand free while he said what he had said, with it, he taps the side of his head.

Edited by Empiricist

"The upper drawers? Ah"

Edmond peeled away the crumbling metal from where he had kicked the cabinet, until he was able to access the upper drawers. There were some more papers, bound in white envelopes.

He flipped through the papers as he spoke.

"You were evacuating something? Well, anyway, about kids...None of my own, and no nephews or nieces either. I was an only child..."

He paused for a moment on a slightly less technical paper, a letter from some official to the engineering staff congratulating them on a job well done.

"Well, I see what you're getting at. I'm Kathryn's godfather...and I took that responsibility very seriously. She's my sqaudmate's daughter...only three years old."

I suppose I took the place of a parent for her. Susan loves her, but she's never around. I can understand feeling a moral obligation to fight unceasingly for what you believe in...but it shouldn't be at the expense of your child...And so, when he found the chance, Edmond had showered Kathryn with the attention that was sometimes lacking in a military family. Even with these efforts though, he still felt guilty at times for not doing more.

((OOC Murdoc's not awake, so I have no clue what's in the upper drawers. might edit it in?))

The man in black ignored Halley. "W-Well, okay then." She looked around the castle, but the others all seemed busy. Eventually, she found herself on top of the castle. One man stood out in the group, playing some exotic tune. "You must be Theodore. Kenta wants you to play some songs to him. He's in the kitchen right now, mind helping him out?" She asked.

((just roll with it for now))

Tesla

"I see. That's nice then. Hopefully you'll get to see her again. But in my world, there are people who use, abuse and discard kids as nothing but their personal little science projects- bastards do it habitually out in facilities in the Wasteland, far removed from other Settlements. Most of em only accessible if you know a few special terminal codes for the transporter system... or if you're actually able to cross the Wastes without getting lost, which most people can't. So most people don't even know about them. And the ones that do know are either Researchers or other Affiliates for those facilities, don't care enough to do anything about it because as far as they care, it doesn't involve them.... Or they just think it's utter suicide to go through and raid a place that heavily guarded and well hidden..."

Ironically enough though, for all their bitching about it, she'd proven herself that it was quite possible- in fact, had Everford himself not shown up on site to stop her, she easily would've succeeded in shutting the whole place down... well, after what he had pulled, it was definitely shut down now regardless. But she had preferred the kids to, you know, not fucking burn to death in the process. Gods damn it, even when she managed to secure the smallest victory against that bastard, he still found a way to turn it into a loss...

"Anyway... if we can't find the other part of the plans soon, we're not gonna have much choice but to just go and see how it works the more direct way. I'd prefer not having to do that with something this old though; all it takes to complicate things when you're poking around blind like that, is one vital component or something that hasn't been touched in a long while breaking due to age, and well... could just become a nightmare from there."

Aurora

She took the pack bacon (where the hell the fleshie had hid it, and how it was already cocked, she had no real idea, nor any real desire to know) with a simple nod. His apparent insanity in so readily approaching one of her kind though, was somewhat explained by the claim of being a spider wrangler...still, Aurora could not help but think of the typical reactions of most every Fleshbag she'd come across back home; fear, trepidation at the mere presence, panic, sometimes a bit of anger for the ones with more bravado, though once poison kicked in, that bravado always faded and left them reduced to nothing but cowering little girls...

Still though. She had matters to tend to. Without a word, she turned back around, and with a single leap up the wall and a swift riposte off of it, she'd made her way up to the rafters, vanishing in the darkness of the high ceiling. Confident the strange squishy down below could no longer track her movement up here, she skittered away, following the scent of the eccentric squishy right to where he was in the remnants of what had once been the ballroom... and another in there with him.

She didn't care about what they were talking about. She just wanted the deal down and over with. Attaching a few threads to the sphere of gold, she lowered it down from the rafters, dangling right in front of the man's face as he conversed with the other fleshie...

"Why would people do that? Were they working on some form of genetic research? There may be a few despicable people from my world who might do that, but not without a firm and complete idea of what they expected to get out of it...so these people probably had a specific goal, correct? Especially with the amount of money and effort that it sounds like they devoted to the projects..."

Edmond sighed, as his search for information in the files continued without success.

"These won't be of any use at the moment. We should be alright for now with just the motor schematics. We can focus on that for the moment, though of course I'll keep looking for info on the reactor... Gah...there's so much to do. Any ideas where to start? If I'm not mistaken, it appears to work via the standard induction motor mechanism, but without true electricity. I could totally be mistaken of course.... I'm thinking we should focus on the power input terminals first?"

It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have some information on the reactor, does it? There's still the desks...

"Also, have you checked the drawers on the desks yet?"

Edited by Strider

Andre, in the halls.

Andre waved goodbye to Aurora as she skittered away. Admittedly he would have preferred if the conversation had gone on a little longer, or had actually had some actual reciprocation on the side of the spider woman, but it was better than getting tied up by her a bitten. At least he thinks it is, perfectly possible that... never mind, that's a dark road to go down. Unbeknownst to him, he actually ends up following Aurora as he continues down the path she took, heading for the ballroom because he has yet to be down that way. It wouldn't even be odd if he happened to enter right after she finished up her delivery.

Kyle, in the smithy.

Kyle nods to himself.

"What a coincidence. I happen to have brought my own shotgun. In fact, Alexandria's working on it right now it looks like."

He waves to the gynoid before turning back to Izumi.

"So let me guess, you're like a gun ho cowboy cop that doesn't play by the rules? You're just out to get your man the old fashioned way with lots of shooting and action and an obligatory argument with Da Chief where he says you're a lose cannon and that you'll be on a desk job by the end of the week even though he knows that you're good for catching the perp. So you're in a race against time with your new partner, an older cop three days from retirement who follows the regulations, as you chase down the head of the Peruvian child smuggling and cocaine dealing operation, but at the climax your partner is shot dead so you end the movie with a tense gun battle in the rain against the leader of the crime ring, just you and your guns against that son of a bitch before finally you shoot him but let him live so he can go on trial. Then the movie ends on a cliffhanger so that they'll have material for the sequel."

Kyle takes a sip of Sprunk as he finishes his metaphor. Or simile? It was kind of lost in all... that.

Sachi

The young Hero seems to be wandering the halls like a lost soul, for the moment. She was rather shaken by what had happened earlier that day, and decided that she'd need to take a walk to calm herself down, if only for a while.

Empi

The red-headed ponytailed girl is standing outside the castle-tank, pacing and thinking about something.

Mar, having looked at the schematics, checks his comprehension of it.

If he is confidant about the cannon, he speaks.

"It is complex, but I could dislodge all rust from the cannons, using my precise fracturing strikes.  With your permission."

Mar waits.  If they. Confirm, he strikes the cannon once, attempting to remove the rust from it so the loose powder can simply be removed.

If this works, he strikes several other places on the cannon, having the others guide him and assist.

Edited by Hal Henderics

Ritsu

"If you're able to, then by all means. These cannons are next to worthless in their current condition. Any work on them would be an improvement," Ritsu replied, giving him the go ahead to clear the rust from the cannons.

15 minutes ago, Twinwolf said:

Victoria wanders outside the castle tank, running into Empi by accident. "...So, I take it you're just as confused about all this as I am?"

"About what? I'm here to do my job. By the way, do you know a guy called Cinna? I'm starting to think my boss sent me to the wrong place..."

There's definitely a tone of irritation in her voice.

Eon [Outside the Castle]

With the man who apparently brought us here leaving, most of the others decided to go about their business. One such person Eon noticed was some fairy-like individual who was looking for...Cinna? Eon opened his journal and checked names, but he found no such person present.

"Excuse me miss, but I'm afraid that within this group there isn't anyone who is named or goes by Cinna. So if you're looking for them, you are definitely in the wrong place," Eon informed the woman, closing his book.

Edited by Zetaark

[In the barracks]

"I believe the catalyst is an artificial isotope of cesium given more neutrons than it can accept naturally," Alexandria shares, "I am not a chemist, though.  I know how to order my nano forge to make it, and what it does, but the precise mechanics are not something I have studied.  The gauss technology is not all upside, unfortunately.  The fuel cell and magazine mean that weapons must be reloaded more often, and if the weapon's rate of fire is high enough, the coils might overheat and melt if abused.  However, most feel the increased muzzle velocity is worth the extra hassle.  I do not believe I have ever heard of a 'q-procc'.  Is that some sort of brain implant?  In my home, our cyberneticists generally avoid messing with the brain.  It is far too easy for things to go horribly wrong."

[On the roof]

Lexiel tags along behind Mar and Ritsu as they de-rust the cannons, carefully observing Mar's techniques and taking copious notes.

Venus

Venus' conversation with Hiroki was suddenly interrupted by a thread of silk enclothing an spherical object, dangling down from above before him. Venus raised an eyebrow upon noticing that Aurora had passed her the object; the sphere was much bigger than Venus had previously requested the gold to be, and now there was only one crucible instead of two. Curiosity biting into him, he carefully collected the spherical ball of silk and unwrapped it from it's webs, to discover a golden nugget, much bigger than he had expected it to be, glimmering inside. Carefully inspecting the newly shaped gold, Venus discovered that the golden sphere had little impurities for its size -- nothing Venus couldn't fix with a bit of polishing, but the size of the golden ingot now meant that he could use it for much more, instead of limited ideas due to the lack of reliable crucibles. How the spider managed to contain that amount of gold, Venus knew not, but he was evidently impressed that the carnivorous arachnid had a much higher intellect than Venus himself would give credit for. Sighing contentedly, Venus decided to keep his promise, withdrawing the potatoes from his sack before carefully tying them up with Aurora's thin threads, before lightly tugging on the string as a response. 

"A remarkable craft, Aurora -- claim your due, and you have my gratitude." Venus replied, loud enough so that the spider could hear him from above. 

"I'm surprised how that spider managed to come up with this," He returned his attention to Hiroki, showing her the golden nugget that he had received, before withdrawing it back into his sack. "And in such a short time, too. My apologies for that interruption, though. To return to our previous banter," He continued, "I believe it is admirable to continue doing what you do best -- in that it lets you define you, and in that it makes you special. Perhaps one day you'll turn out to be the best fighter there is. You're young and you have talent -- it's certainly a possibility. Well, look at me now -- I'm perhaps a decade or so older than you are, and I've already established myself very well in my passions. As an artist, an actor, a director. It all comes with continued passion, my dear. That of the fiery fervor that burns within, whatever your motivations may be. And trust me, perhaps you're one of the brightest stars in the group in the regard."

As he said this, he recalled the journey of his becoming of an artist, all the passion and training that came behind it, and the fame and applause he gained with his efforts. The nostalgia of all that shifted into a certain longing, and Venus knew that he needed to express such thoughts to relieve himself. Surprised at how the ballroom and his conversation in Hiroki had managed to stir such sentiments within him, a reluctant tone wafted in his voice as he gave his next sentence hesitantly. 

"....Perhaps you wouldn't mind hearing the story of how I became the artist I am?"

Eon

"I'm afraid so. Seems like most of us here were dropped off here out of nowhere. Some man came by earlier and mentioned that we were gathered to deal with a particular threat that spans across a few different worlds," Eon informed the girl, who clearly was not pleased at the current situation.

"Of course, there's no Cinna here, but perhaps one of the worlds we'll go to might have the person you're looking for. Of course, that's just a guess on my part and there's no guarantee we'll get to said world, but its something I suppose," Eon mentioned, hoping she might calm down slightly.