Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14182 for when Monotype Pokemon are available to you. You can still catch a Burmy (guess that's okay fodder?) and a Budew. I'm... not too sure on Hardcore bosses, but I'd definitely recommend evolving Budew (friendship evolution during the day), as Roselia is a pretty strong Pokemon very early.

For the Magnemite, maybe try stalling it to death with Sleep Powder + Leech Seed?

Shelly's gym (Hardcore)

My team is

Gabite Sand tomb/Slash/Dragon Claw/ Sandstorm

Swampert Water gun/protect/rock slide/mudbomb

Camerupt Iron head/magnitude/lava plume/rock slide

Trapnich Rock slide/earthquake/dig/crunch

Krokorok dig/sand tomb/torment/crunch

Ryhorn chip away/smack down/bulldoze/scary face

Normally this team would have mild difficulty beating shelly since grass moves slaughter me. But theres a politoed in the room that I can't kill for some reason. (Commander why) I'm doing a mono ground so if it isn't ground then I'd rather not use it even to overcome this obstacle. I also will not be evolving trapinch since it needs to learn superpower at 40. I am okay with switching anyone out except swampert since my rule is starters never leave me. Lastly everyon's attack evs are maxed out and everyone has pretty good speed as well.

Shelly's gym (Hardcore)

My team is

Normally this team would have mild difficulty beating shelly since grass moves slaughter me. But theres a politoed in the room that I can't kill for some reason. (Commander why) I'm doing a mono ground so if it isn't ground then I'd rather not use it even to overcome this obstacle. I also will not be evolving trapinch since it needs to learn superpower at 40. I am okay with switching anyone out except swampert since my rule is starters never leave me. Lastly everyon's attack evs are maxed out and everyone has pretty good speed as well.

Why does trapinch need superpower exactly? Flygon will be fine with a dragon move, EQ, rock slide and crunch, or a fire move to replace crunch. IDK what shelly's team is on hard mode but both krokorok and ryhorn need to go. Krok is useless for this fight and ryhorn is just plain bad until noel or until you get the protector. I'd be getting both the onix from the hiker in peridot ward and a graveler. graveler should set stealth rock while onix should be trying to outspeed and spam rock slide.

If you really must get trapinch superpower, either jam it in the daycare and walk around until you hit level 40 then spam common candies, or bench that as well. Diggersby should replace that as its the best fastest ground type left for your team. (Actually diggersby should be there anyway). If you have the patience, bunnelby gets bounce at level 38 which could help set up some stalling tactics with swampert's protect.

If shelly still has masquerain, make sure that goes down before bringing gabite and camerupt to the field, so you can safely use sandstorm and lava plume, as I don't think much else should have an ice move.

Good luck.

Shelly's gym (Hardcore)

My team is

Hmm well first off just get rid of the rain with Darude sandstorm. should work unless the rain in shelly's gym is rain like primordial sea Effect/heavy rain but that is not the case since i saw in quickslip's grass mono run he was able to set up sunny day and make double rainbows appear on the field. So Darude sandstorm should work.smack on a smooth rock on you Darude sandstorm set up pokemon so that the Darude sandstorm would last longer. Once you set up Darude sandstorm you can proceed and burn the field with camerupt's Lava Plume(unless for some reason shelly has water sport and used it to prevent the field from burning if so omg commander why).

Sand veil,Sand rush,sand force pokemon should be in your team to make use of the Darude sandstorm effects. Graveler/Golem, Donphan,Dugtrio,Sandslash and gabite. well i am sure there are more pokemons which can make use of Darude sandstorm but dont think you can get them at the point of the game yet.

Ok now you will need to bench trapinch he is just dead weight at this point yes i know he has rock slide but he is just too frail and can get OHKOed so easily. In my last post i told you to get a diggerbytho so i m sure you have that in your back up team/Subs. if not get one it will help yeah it is rare and all but it is worth the time to hunt down for one. Diggerbytho can wipe out shelly with bounce and quick attack.

You can lead with gabite and Dugtrio since dugtrio is super fast and has the sand force/veil ability which comes in handy. Dugtrio can even sucker punch and maybe destroy stuff with the sucker punch since his atk is boosted when in sand if he has sand force. do not send in camerupt when masquerain and Armaldo is out since they have water type moves to wreck/destroy camerupt. send in Camerupt when shelly sends in yanmega/volbeat/vespaqueen.

• Upvote 1

I actually raised Nidoking to learn thrash and poison spikes. Setup with him and gabite then Camerupt came when the sand ended since the sand puts out the fire every time. I had to bench trap because yeah too frail. Luckily no one knows rain dance or water sport so this battle was winable since every mon had to switch into fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Shade and having trouble.

Moxie (Scraggy)

Level 35

Ability:Moxie (obvs)

Item: Black Belt

-Brick Break

-Payback

-High Jump Kick

-Drain Punch

Dash(Manectric)

Level 37

Ability: LightningRod

Item: None

-Bite

-Spark

-Discharge

-Ice Fang

Whacka (Dugtrio)

Level 35

Ability: Sand Force

Item:None

-Rock Smash

-Bulldoze

-Sucker Punch

-Earth Power

Tails (Floatzel)

-Level 33

Ability: Swift Swim

-Pursuit

-Swift

-Aqua Jet

-Double Hit

Blaze (Typhlosion)

-Level 41

Ability: Blaze

-Swift

-Cut

-Flame Wheel

-Flame Charge

Swoops (Swoobat)

-Level 35

Ability: Simple

Item: Soul Candle (idk what it does)

-Air Cutter

-Air Slash

-Assurance

-Heart Stamp

Would someone be willing to help give me tips on beating Radomus? My team is as follows:

Ampharos 54 (has been huge in helping me achieve my almost-victories)

Infernape 54

Bouffalant 53 (has megahorn)

Granbull 54

Hypno 54 (not sure where to get any better psychic types :/)

Floatzel 53

In Box:

Vileplume 54

Jumpluff 54

I have other various pokemon and am willing to go find pokemon if worst comes to worst.

Thanks!

Would someone be willing to help give me tips on beating Radomus? My team is as follows:

Ampharos 54 (has been huge in helping me achieve my almost-victories)

Infernape 54

Bouffalant 53 (has megahorn)

Granbull 54

Hypno 54 (not sure where to get any better psychic types :/)

Floatzel 53

In Box:

Vileplume 54

Jumpluff 54

I have other various pokemon and am willing to go find pokemon if worst comes to worst.

Thanks!

I'd be grinding up your team members to about level 58 for a start, that might help things somewhat.

If you just want to easy mode randomus, I'd try and find an odd keystone and catch the spiritomb in the wasteland. One nasty plot and you can lay waste to all of his team other than his gardevoir.

If you want a few pokemon that will be useful down the track, I would suggest getting a heracross or galvantula. Both of those are somewhat hard to obtain, but will be good for a few gyms to come in their own ways.

Any of those pokemon should replace floatzel, as you don't need a water type for quite a few gyms yet. Get a better one later on.

I'd ditch hypno as well. There will be a very good psychic pokemon for you that can be obtained after randomus, and hypno won't help here anyway. Jumpluff can come back into your line up and just spam sleep powder as appropriate (or acrobatics on gallade).

Lead with jumpluff and the bug type and take down gallade and reuniclus as fast as possible. He should then send out metagross and either slowking or malamar. Have jumpluff sleep powder metagross and KO the other one. KO the next one sent out while jumpluff uses leech seed on metagross. When he's down to metagross and gardevoir, sleep powder the gardevoir. Jumpluff or the bug will probably be taken down at some point, which is where you can send in infernape to deal with metagross and then focus everyone left on gardevoir.

I'm on Shade and having trouble.

Moxie (Scraggy)

Level 35

Ability:Moxie (obvs)

Item: Black Belt

-Brick Break

-Payback

-High Jump Kick

-Drain Punch

Dash(Manectric)

Level 37

Ability: LightningRod

-Bite

-Spark

-Discharge

-Ice Fang

Whacka (Dugtrio)

Level 35

Ability: Sand Force

Item:None

-Rock Smash

-Bulldoze

-Sucker Punch

-Earth Power

Tails (Floatzel)

-Level 33

Ability: Swift Swim

-Pursuit

-Swift

-Aqua Jet

-Double Hit

Blaze (Typhlosion)

-Level 41

Ability: Blaze

-Swift

-Cut

-Flame Wheel

-Flame Charge

Swoops (Swoobat)

-Level 35

Ability: Simple

Item: Soul Candle (idk what it does)

-Air Cutter

-Air Slash

-Assurance

-Heart Stamp

Sorry for double posting mods, If I knew how to get several quotes into one reply properly, I wouldn't double post.

Getting scraggy to level 39 and giving it a chesto or persim berry will solve most of your problems. A second dark type would also not go astray here. If you can complete either the nuzleaf event or the zorua one, I'd do that and replace floatzel for either one of those. Just be sure that if you do the zorua event

1. Make sure it has extrasensory on it

2. You will get it at level 30. Make sure you use a common candy to get it to level 29, then level it back to 30. by doing this, you will have zoroark with night slash, which you miss otherwise.

Those 2 steps will ensure zoroark is useful for several upcoming gym battles that way.

Two dark types may be questionable, but since you have swoobat, you shouldn't have too much issue with kiki that you need to change your team heavily.

Also grind your team so everyone is about level 38, other than scraggy, who needs to get to level 39 to evolve.

Well.... now I know that my level cap is 60... *facepalm* but thanks for all the help! I'm currently grinding up a Heracross and Spiritomb for the gym battle, and once I get my pokemon to around 58-59 I know for sure I can beat the gym because my super effective moves would mostly get them to about 10% and the extra stats will give me the little oomph I need for the kill! Thank you so much!

• Upvote 1

@Mistyride

well first off soul candle is used to get event pokemon like pumpkaboo/Litwig. you can get pumpkaboo by clicking one of the pumpkins at the cemetery if you have soul candle in you bag.

Ok now for how to beat shade.Ok lower the lvl of your typhlosion by using common candy so that he will obey you if not he will not because your lvl cap is lvl 40. Grind the rest of your team to around lvl 38-39 and you should be able to beat shade. also evolve scraggy to scrafty. Manectric should be able to help also since discharge is boosted in shades field. other than that i would bench swoobat and replace it with a dark/electric/ghost type since swoobat is kinda not so useful in this gym. Also try to re teach Calm Mind to swoobat simple+calm mind= super boosted sp atk and sp def.

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice on how to beat Blake?

My team is:

Blaziken @ Charcoal

Brave Bird

Bulk Up

Flare Blitz

Sky Uppercut

Emolga

Acrobatics

Agility

Substitute

Discharge

Ursaring @ Black Belt

Hammer Arm

Facade

Feint Attack

Thrash

Taurus @ Silk Scarf

Swagger

Thrash

Take Down

Zen Headbutt

Bouffalant

Head Charge

Thrash

Megahorn

Swords Dance

Absol @ Dread Plate

Sucker Punch

Psycho Cut

Detect

Me First

EDIT: Nevermind, after multiple trying, I got it! :)

Edited by Cool Girl

• 4 weeks later...

i'm doing a hardcore mono fighting and i need advice to beat corey on Corrosive Mist Field

i have a hariyama with whirlwind to change the field but i't doesnt help

any advice

my team is

pignite level 30

blaze

Flame charge, rollout, heavy slam, arm trust

pangoro level 34

mold breaker

slash, cut, vital trow, work up

mankey level 24

defiant

screech, focus energy, fury swipes, karate chop

Hariyama level 32

sheer force

Whirlwind, sand attack, force palm, faka out

Hariyama level 33

guts

Belly drum, knock off, fake out, force palm

Mienfoo level 33

regenerator

Fake out, knock off, meditate, drain punch

Gurdurr level 34

iron fist

Bulk up, leer, rock slide, drain punch

Hitmonchan level 33

Iron fist

Thunder-, Ice-, Fire and Bullet punch,

Shroomish level 23

Headbutt, Mega drain, Stun spore, leech seed

Any advice on how to beat Blake?

My team is:

Blaziken @ Charcoal

Brave Bird

Bulk Up

Flare Blitz

Sky Uppercut

Emolga

Acrobatics

Agility

Substitute

Discharge

Ursaring @ Black Belt

Hammer Arm

Facade

Feint Attack

Thrash

Taurus @ Silk Scarf

Swagger

Thrash

Take Down

Zen Headbutt

Bouffalant

Head Charge

Thrash

Megahorn

Swords Dance

Absol @ Dread Plate

Sucker Punch

Psycho Cut

Detect

Me First

EDIT: Nevermind, after multiple trying, I got it! :)

Rock types do well in this battle. One strategy is to change the field with an EQ user another is to brute force it. Get some rock coverage and then just set up your team in a good order and you should be able to take him. I would take Taurus out since he offers very little to the team. If you managed to pick up heracross from the woods he would be a great addition.

i'm doing a hardcore mono fighting and i need advice to beat corey on Corrosive Mist Field

i have a hariyama with whirlwind to change the field but i't doesnt help

any advice

my team is

pignite level 30

blaze

Flame charge, rollout, heavy slam, arm trust

pangoro level 34

mold breaker

slash, cut, vital trow, work up

mankey level 24

defiant

screech, focus energy, fury swipes, karate chop

Hariyama level 32

sheer force

Whirlwind, sand attack, force palm, faka out

Hariyama level 33

guts

Belly drum, knock off, fake out, force palm

Mienfoo level 33

regenerator

Fake out, knock off, meditate, drain punch

Gurdurr level 34

iron fist

Bulk up, leer, rock slide, drain punch

Hitmonchan level 33

Iron fist

Thunder-, Ice-, Fire and Bullet punch,

Shroomish level 23

Headbutt, Mega drain, Stun spore, leech seed

Okay so this guy did a mono fighting in hardcore with only 4 pokemon

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18033&page=2

So it's doable but it isn't easy. In fact it's bloody difficult..

My advice (if you don't just follow how the guy above did it:

Cheese it with the first Hariyama with fake out then Sand attacks. Get Hitmonchan in and try KO the Qwilfish with thunder punch -might help with Crobat as well. Gurder should be saved to take on Crobat who is the deadlist threat to the team. The inbetween is less difficult than the Starter Qwilfish and final Crobat.

Hitmonchan might be able to take all three (the nidoqueen included) out with Thunder and ice punch so long as it doesnt get intimidated.

The hardest part will be Crobat especially if it has aCROBATics (sorry couldn't resist)

my primeape (defiant ability, so i got a + attak boost off the intimidate) can't touch the quilfish, assurance is it best move against it and it does only 1/4 of his health before it hets ko'd

all his other pokemon outspeed mine, and if i manage to get to crobatn, air slah OHKO all that remains of my team

Edited by gryson

I could use some help with Shade. His Gengar sweeps through my team every time.

Currently in party:

Gothorita (level 36)

Ability: Competitive

Future Sight

Psyshock

Faint Attack

Heal Block

Empoleon (level 37)

no item

Torrent

Brine

Metal Claw

Aqua Jet

Peck

Noibat (level 35)

no item

Telepathy

Razor Wind

Air Cutter

Bite

Roost

Tynamo (level 36)

no item

Levitate

Spark

Charge Beam

Tackle

Thunder Wave

Growlithe (level 36)

no item

Justified

Close Combat

Flamethrower

Take Down

Reversal

Donphan (level 35)

no item

Sturdy

Slam

Rollout

Magnitude

Flail

In PC:

Swalot (level 35)

Black Sludge

Liquid Ooze

Body Slam

Sludge

Toxic

Yawn

Leavanny (level 35)

Rose Incense

Swarm

Slash

Bug Bite

Razor Leaf

Protect

Croagunk (level 28-will definitely need grinding)

no item

Poison Touch

Sucker Punch

Drain Punch

Venoshock

Mud Bomb

I have 28,180 pokedollars, if that means anything.

I used Magneton in that gym. You can catch a Magnemite in the power plant.

I suppose Helioptile/Heliolisk isn't a bad choice either, since Electric-type moves are affected by the field, and thanks to it's Normal -typing Helioptile can't be hit with Ghost-type moves. Helioptile can be found at the rooftop in Beryl Ward at a sunny day iirc.

Growlithe learns Crunch at level 39, and Tynamo evolves at the same level. You're not too far from reaching that point, so I'd go for it and grind a bit. You can always use Common Candies if you notice they start disobeying you in mid-battle.

Have you done the team Magma/ Aqua missions? Both Houndoom and Sharpedo can wreck shade.

My choise is speed boost Sharpedo. WIll easily OHKO most of his pokemon. Houndoom is a little slower but can OHKO most as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently in party:

Gothorita (level 36)

Ability: Competitive

Future Sight

Psyshock

Faint Attack

Heal Block

Empoleon (level 37)

no item

Torrent

Brine

Metal Claw

Aqua Jet

Peck

Noibat (level 35)

no item

Telepathy

Razor Wind

Air Cutter

Bite

Roost

Tynamo (level 36)

no item

Levitate

Spark

Charge Beam

Tackle

Thunder Wave

Growlithe (level 36)

no item

Justified

Close Combat

Flamethrower

Take Down

Reversal

Donphan (level 35)

no item

Sturdy

Slam

Rollout

Magnitude

Flail

In PC:

Swalot (level 35)

Black Sludge

Liquid Ooze

Body Slam

Sludge

Toxic

Yawn

Leavanny (level 35)

Rose Incense

Swarm

Slash

Bug Bite

Razor Leaf

Protect

Croagunk (level 28-will definitely need grinding)

no item

Poison Touch

Sucker Punch

Drain Punch

Venoshock

Mud Bomb

I have 28,180 pokedollars, if that means anything.

Well, some people have already suggested nabbing Crunch on Growlithe at level 39, and that's definitely a start. I'd suggest replacing Gothorita with Crogunk once you grind it up, especially considering how badly Shade eats it alive. Tynamo also evolves at Level 39, so that's another benchmark. As for Empoleon, sadly(and I found this out on my first playthrough since it'd been a while since I used the penguin in game)....it's natural movepool is kind of meh. It definitely shines later when you get Surf/Grass Knot, but the struggle is definitely real until then. Also, I would recommend you bring Swalot, but you don't have Acid Spray on it, which is a bit of a bummer. Alternatively to Croagunk, and if you want to grind a bit more, you can catch a Makuhita in the Obisidia Slums and evolve it into a Hariyama. You evolve quickly at Level 24, learn Knock Off as Makuhita at level 19, and are in general a very fat and annoying Pokemon. Of note, a properly leveled Hariyama can take 1-3 pokemon of shade's with it if you're lucky. Guts and Thick Fat are also fantastic here. Guts neuters any status shenanigans Shade wants to pull off, and Thick Fat gives you a bit of protection against his ace. Other than that, I can also heartily make the recommendation of catching a Duskull in the Power Plant itself. It's ready to evolve, and will already know Shadow Sneak by the time you catch it. You'd be surprised how badly it nails some of Shade's team.

It is also worth noting that Magnemite is very helpful. It is readily found in the gym itself, evolves immediately into Magneton, which has some respectably high SpAtk for that early in the game, and has access to a very useful Thunder Wave + Sturdy combination that can help versus fast ghosts like Gengar.

Like stated, Crunch on Growlithe is excellent, and both Pangoro and Hariyama are available to you in the alums to use Dark type Moves. Training up Croagunk is also certainly helpful. I don't know if Zangoose can be found in alleways yet, but a swift Night Slash from it will certainly help. The same also goes for Liepard, which is fast and can use reasonably powerful STAB Dark moves if you get a positively-natured Purrloin in the alleyways.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I'm kinda stuck on Shade. He absolutely decimates my team, and on a slightly unrelated note, I am aware my team has a terrible weakness to Water with nothing to counter it.

So heres what I've got:

Noctowl: Level 35

No item

Keen Eye

Lax nature

-Confusion

-Take Down

-Uproar

-Hypnosis

Golem: Level 36

No item

Rock Head

Relaxed nature

-Rock Blast

-Smack Down

-Bulldoze

-Stealth Rock

Infernape: Level 38

No item

Blaze

Mild nature

-Cut (don't have an HM slave)

-Mach Punch

-Flame Wheel

-Close Combat

Granbull: Level 35

No item

Rattled

Timid nature

-Bite

-Rock Smash (again, don't have an HM slave)

-Headbutt

-Close Combat

Forretress: Level 34

No item

Sturdy

Bashful nature

-Take Down

-Rapid Spin

-Payback

-Spikes

Lumineon: Level 35

No item

Storm Drain

Rash nature

-Aqua Ring

-Water Pulse

-Attract

-Rain Dance

So... I know most of my Pokemon are mediocre at best. But I'm just not sure what to get. I also have a couple of pokemon (sort of) leveled up in the PC.

Mightyena: Level 30

No item

Intimidate

Lonely nature

-Tackle

-Howl

-Snarl

-Bite

Trubbish: Level 28

No item

Aftermath

Rash nature

-Sludge

-Toxic Spikes

-Acid Spray

-Take Down

Some other random pokemon I've obtained but haven't used are a Helioptile, Ponyta, Carvahna, Tangela, Growlithe, Nidorina, and Croagunk, if any of them are at all useful.

This is my first time playing Pokemon Reborn, so my pokemon aren't really EV trained or have the right nature.

Edited by Buttulon

Hi !

Well shade can be hard with strong ghost and electric moves.

On my first run mightyena was very helpful against shade. Try level it up and switch it's ability for moxie (can be done with an ability capsule, if you don't have one check the item location guide). Even if it's not the best pokemon, stabed dark moves (boosted by moxie) are very usefull.

Shade has 2 pokemons weak to fire, save infernape for them and your lumineon for his chandelure.