Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

You have a Blastoise and a Arbok....use Acid spray first to lower its Special Defence and then you can knock it out with a flash canon.

One more tip,use your arcanine if you wish cause there will be a battle with former ice leader Blake..you will need arcanine there.

EDIT : I checked your latest save file , Blatoise at level 64?? Its not gonna listen to you .You should keep it in PC for some time.

And I was also playing with your 1st uploaded file.I defeated Noel ,you can use it if you want.I used your Arcanine (level 52) and Arbok (level 52) instead of Makhurita and Scraggy (they are in BOX 5).I lost some money as I was training against Noel.Sorry for that mate.I bought 22 super potions and used some of them,also an antidote ,a paralyze heal and a ice cream.You can sell the other potions and retrieve some money.

There are some change in the moveset...1. Arcanine learned Extreme speed over Take down. 2.Arbok knows belch and gastro acid.I caught a Dedenne too.I also used Ampharos (Dragon plate ) is in your bag.

I

You have a Blastoise and a Arbok....use Acid spray first to lower its Special Defence and then you can knock it out with a flash canon.

One more tip,use your arcanine if you wish cause there will be a battle with former ice leader Blake..you will need arcanine there.

EDIT : I checked your latest save file , Blatoise at level 64?? Its not gonna listen to you .You should keep it in PC for some time.

And I was also playing with your 1st uploaded file.I defeated Noel ,you can use it if you want.I used your Arcanine (level 52) and Arbok (level 52) instead of Makhurita and Scraggy (they are in BOX 5).I lost some money as I was training against Noel.Sorry for that mate.I bought 22 super potions and used some of them,also an antidote ,a paralyze heal and a ice cream.You can sell the other potions and retrieve some money.

There are some change in the moveset...1. Arcanine learned Extreme speed over Take down. 2.Arbok knows belch and gastro acid.I caught a Dedenne too.I also used Ampharos (Dragon plate ) is in your bag.

Yeah I used blastoise for insane grinding purposes with EXP share.

I'll use the file I grinded on as the main backup.

I'll use your file to continue, Thanks for putting in the time and effort xD.

I'm stuck on samson at the agate circus.

Team: Level 64 Blastoise, Level 55 Noctowl, 61 Scrafty, 63 Arcanine, L63 Ampharos, 63 Donphan

I know his main team weakness is Psychic and flying, But I don't have a strong pokemon for either of those. (I'm just gonna grind Noctowl if I can't find a better one in my PC)

Any tips?

https://www.mediafire.com/?4fb05u2c5ljczch <- Game Save File.

Flying-types might be a better bet in this battle than Psychic-types; they're squishy and Samson's team usually rolls high High Striker whatevers. You can catch a Braviary and a Hawlucha over in Route 2, which are both Flying-type heavy hitters.

I'm stuck on samson at the agate circus.

Team: Level 64 Blastoise, Level 55 Noctowl, 61 Scrafty, 63 Arcanine, L63 Ampharos, 63 Donphan

I know his main team weakness is Psychic and flying, But I don't have a strong pokemon for either of those. (I'm just gonna grind Noctowl if I can't find a better one in my PC)

Any tips?

Well if your Noctowl still knows the Hypnosis move, then you can train it upto level 67 where it will learn Dream eater.Then you can use hypnosis and eat dreams.

Otherwise getting a braviary is a better option cause it has better Attack and movepool.

A brave bird,Super power braviary can be unstoppable.(both attacks get boosted by the field )

You can also consider getting a noivern..if you have a noibat with yourself. Gardevoir can also be helpful.

Samson has a Mienshao( super attack and super speed) ....taking that out may be difficult so going with both noctowl and braviary is a safer option.

Best of luck.

Flying-types might be a better bet in this battle than Psychic-types; they're squishy and Samson's team usually rolls high High Striker whatevers. You can catch a Braviary and a Hawlucha over in Route 2, which are both Flying-type heavy hitters.

With the exception of Alakazam, I agree. Alakazam can outspeed and one-shot most of Samson's team without optimal EV investments.

With the exception of Alakazam, I agree. Alakazam can outspeed and one-shot most of Samson's team without optimal EV investments.

Same with Espeon, but what I think Timber meant was it's easier and faster to obtain flying-types if their only use is temporary.

Rekt Samson with my flying types and some luck.

I'm at charleotte, Fighting fire with fire is oh so tempting.

But sometimes you need a blastoise to shoot a fox in the face with a water gun.

I don't know if you kept your Growlithe/Arcanine or if it had Flash Fire, but with some X-Defends against Rock/Earth attacks, you probably could fight fire with fire.

Edited by Jiggle

I personally fought fire with fire against Charlotte. Her field effect is so potent that Fire-types can deal heavy damage even against other Fire-types. There's also how Water-types are risky in that fight anyway. Even if you neutralize the field, Charlotte's team still has plenty of Electric and Grass moves, plus a Heat Rotom. Unless your Blastoise is very bulky or can reliably outspeed and/or OHKO her team, you might wanna bring in a good Fire-type like Arcanine just in case.

Rekt Samson with my flying types and some luck.

I'm at charleotte, Fighting fire with fire is oh so tempting.

But sometimes you need a blastoise to shoot a fox in the face with a water gun.

May be its the best time to use the ability capsule...last time I checked your arcanine had intimidate.

Also you can get a Rhydon or graveler from the caves.A Rhyperior will be very effective.Find one with the ability of solid rock.

You can use the Cofagrigus aganist the Rotom.Save your blastoise for the prefect moment.Also if you want to make it easier...get a walrein and destroy the field with a blizzard .

Honestly Rhyperior/golem wins the battle alone.

Honestly Rhyperior/golem wins the battle alone.

No kidding. If you happen to have a Pokemon who can learn Trick Room (nearly all Psychic-types, plus Misdreavus and the Porygon line) and you can get it off turn one, Rhyperior can Earthquake/Stone Edge her entire team into oblivion by itself. Just make sure you throw out a partner who's immune to Ground and you're all set.

Charlotte lost the battle of fire+some water vs. fire.

Thanks for the strategies and tips xD.

Gonna try and get some new abilities(Thank Lord Helix I have 3) because my current one's are meh.

Stuck at Blake on top of the ice mountain, I can't get through his 2nd way of pokemons, Plus his puns were bad. Help me murder his Icecream.

I found the best method for ice cream murder is to just melt it with fire. Ice-types generally don't have great defenses anyway, and if you can get rid of the field effect, just wailing on Blake with one or two good Fire-types worked well for me. The hardest part of that fight for me was Jynx, mainly because one of my two Fire-types was Blaziken.

Beat it to death sucker punch and Arcanine's extreme speed.

Terrarawr's RawrChomp is ridiculous.

Graveler's explosion took care of it.

EDIT : Or get a Walrein with blizzard .

Edited by Debojit97

Graveler's explosion took care of it.

EDIT : Or get a Walrein with blizzard .

Or any pokemon with an acceptable Special Attack stat and an ice move, because you know, 4x damage to ice.

First Aster and Eclipse Battle
Grass Monotype Hardcore

Budew [Lvl 20]
Rose Incense
Poison Point
Docile
- Growth
- Mega Drain
- Stun Spore
- Worry Seed

Grotle [Lvl 17]
Exp. Share

Shell Armour

Adamant

- Curse

- Absorb

- Razor Leaf

- Tackle

Can't touch either mons in this fight, no more trainers left to fight to evolve Budew (probably bought 25 comon candies trying to get it's happiness raised). Other available grass mons are cherubi and burmy who really can't do much either. Fern's team dies in four turns and the most he does is paralyze the magmar or get a small bit of damage off. Both of my mons get two shot by fire punch and can't really do much in return. Any other suggestions?

Edited by torrent

Common candies decrease the happiness of a pokemon by the amount it gains when it levels up iirc.

One Pokemon I've found useful is Lightning Rod Goldeen. It punishes Elekid if it tries to use Electric-type attacks, and can hit Magby super-effectively with Water Pulse, possibly even confusing it.

How did you get the EXP Share this early in the game?

EDIT: Please make it more obvious that you're doing a monotype challenge.

Edited by Drymus

Common candies decrease the happiness of a pokemon by the amount it gains when it levels up iirc.

One Pokemon I've found useful is Lightning Rod Goldeen. It punishes Elekid if it tries to use Electric-type attacks, and can hit Magby super-effectively with Water Pulse, possibly even confusing it.

How did you get the EXP Share this early in the game?

EDIT: Please make it more obvious that you're doing a monotype challenge.

I just read earlier that it doesn't decrease happiness but I'm not sure. And yes, this is a monotype challenge (edited to make it more clear). EXP Share and Lucky Egg bc hardcore.

First Aster and Eclipse Battle

Grass Monotype Hardcore

Budew [Lvl 20]

Rose Incense

Poison Point

Docile

- Growth

- Mega Drain

- Stun Spore

- Worry Seed

Grotle [Lvl 17]

Exp. Share

Shell Armour

Adamant

- Curse

- Absorb

- Razor Leaf

- Tackle

Can't touch either mons in this fight, no more trainers left to fight to evolve Budew (probably bought 25 comon candies trying to get it's happiness raised). Other available grass mons are cherubi and burmy who really can't do much either. Fern's team dies in four turns and the most he does is paralyze the magmar or get a small bit of damage off. Both of my mons get two shot by fire punch and can't really do much in return. Any other suggestions?

a) You only have two Pokemon. I gave a very good warning that running one or two Pokemon was not going to work. Ignoring that warning will end up getting you punished and into the hole you're in right now. Aster & Eclipse are the second warning and it's not so forgiving unlike the Fern fight warning. You will not beat Julia with just two Pokemon.

B) Burmy and Cherrubi would be very useful against these two. Burmy learns protect so that it can leech some attacks in order for Fern to do some damage. Cherrubi can also be kind of tanky and probably could pull off a leech seed. Having six weaker mons is far more important than one strong mon.

c) When you put limits on a mod made to be harder for an already difficult game, there's not much people can do to help you. You are going to lose some battles...a lot. Not a lot of members have played Hardcore so it kind of is a "you're on your own" type situation. Assess the battle, see what works and doesn't work. Keep trying and you can usually get through.

Alright, its been a while, but I'm having a bit of trouble with Samson, especially considering I can't get back to previous areas at the moment.

Here's my team:

Magnezone: Level 60

No item

Sturdy

Rash nature

-Spark

-Flash Cannon

-Metal Sound

-Discharge

Honchkrow: Level 62

No item

Super Luck

Careful nature

-Wing Attack

-Sucker Punch

-Brave Bird

-Foul Play

Golem: Level 57

No item

Sturdy

Relaxed nature

-Stone Edge

-Rock Smash (Needed the HM :( )

-Earthquake

-Double-edge

Lilligant: Level 56

Big Root

Leaf Guard

Docile nature

-Stun Spore

-Petal Dance

-Quiver Dance

-Giga Drain

Yanmega: Level 60

No item

Speed Boost

Mild nature

-Detect

-Air Slash

-U-turn

-Bug Buzz

Infernape: Level 60

No item

Blaze

Mild nature

-Acrobatics

-Flame Wheel

-Close Combat

-Strength

So thats what I've got to work with and I'm kinda stumped. I caught a Meditite, but then realized I can't get it any decent moves since I have no access to the move relearner. I feel like I'm a bit trapped here. Most of my pokemon get 1-shot by any of Samson's pokemon. Only ones that can take a hit are Golem and Magnezone with Sturdy.