Ari & Decibel ride in to battle!

Amethyst

Had a funny feeling of what this topic would be when I saw the name, and I was not disappointed~

They both look pretty sweet- makes me want to play as at least one of them at some point. I especially dig Decibel's hair.

They/Xey(?????) look awesome!

but if both are non-binary... will we be able to switch to any of xem?

or will we be limited to Ari for female-character and Decibel for male-character?

(or vice versa... I can't really tell it apart... and that Ari looks like DJ Arclight doesn't help^^)

Edited by Cepheus

Wait.. I thought the original protagonists were called Kuro and Lucia?

So if the non-binary protagonists are called Ari and Decibel, and the more recent ones are Kuro and Lucia... what were the names for the first protagonists?

Vero and Alice

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

They/Xey(?????) look awesome!

but if both are non-binary... will we be able to switch to any of xem?

or will we be limited to Ari for female-character and Decibel for male-character?

(or vice versa... I can't really tell it apart... and that Ari looks like DJ Arclight doesn't help^^)

Any player can switch to either.

I was wondering if you'd do this. Turns out you didn't dissapoint XD

But I'll just say it- the first looks very much like a girl and the second looks very much like a boy. Heck, if you didn't SAY they were non-binary, absolutley everyone here would have just thought "oh cool, new guy and girl". I wish it was like with Adrienn, where you really couldn't tell no matter how hard you looked.

Edited by Eagleby18
  • Upvote 1

• Administrators

That won't always be the case with individuals who identify as non-binary though, you know? Either way, Ari and Decibel are borderline androgynous, but it's important to accept that not everyone is going to look a neutral part perfectly.

Sweet new sacri...ehm i mean new protagonists! Decibel looks better than Ari imo (and i would agree that xe looks like Dj Ark). Now to the main point maybe i just don't understand how this works (and please correct me if i'm wrong) but isn't the whole point in being "neutral" (or non-binary) gender (is "gender" even the word to use?) to not be divided in two (or more) categories? So why there are 2 of xem? Shouldn't there be only one? I think yes (Decibel ftw!)

Having two means we can have a white-skinned non-binary protag and a tanned non-binary protag

Yeah i already saw on the blog that it was just a cosmetic change also where is my blonde male protagonist?

where is my blonde male protagonist?

...are we not getting a little meticulous here? I mean, as cool as Player Customization is in X and Y, we're still working with stills here. That being said, you can always resprite Vero into a blonde, should you prefer...

As Ame mentioned earlier, you can't call a spade a spade with Non-binary individuals. Just like boys and girls, Non-binary individuals come in different shapes, colors, and sizes. The reason there's more than just one of them is to give the player CHOICE. If you read the blog, you'll know the reasoning behind this pair of non-binary protagonists is availability, not forcing the player into a non-decision or one that they can't correctly make for themselves. It's the same reason Kuro and Lucina, our dark-skinned protagonists, were introduced. Reborn doesn't force you to have light skin.

Thoughts and "personal opinions" on Ari:

- I like the DJ Arclight-esqe appearance here.

- If you were a more "Butch" or "Masculine" non-binary, you identify with Ari here.

- If you have darker skin, you identify with Ari.

- If you prefer to go without long sleeves, you identify with Ari.

Why does Ari exist? Choice, right? Just testing you...

Thoughts on Decibel:

- If you were to be shallow like Hilda is and look for contrasting features, you might say Decibel looks more "feminine" by contrast.

- Decibel is the lighter skinned choice to make for non-binary individuals, should they want to identify with race in their playthrough.

- and finally, The cloak appeals to those who prefer covering their arms.

This is where the concept of choice matters. Those thoughts I had were "Wow, this doesn't look like the other"......when a new non-binary player thinks like that, they are enabled with decision, and they get as much leisure as males and females do in the process.

I didn't want to indicate that non-binary individuals "were masculine or feminine" based on their appearance, but that the differentiation between those two things, as "attributes" was there and was present. Obviously, Non-binary individuals are not male or female, and it is polite to attribute them as such.

• Upvote 2

Yea, both look excellent to be honest, and I would probably play them if I didn't have to start over lol.

I will honestly say that I pick avatars mostly based on which I think looks coolest to whether or not they are female, male, or any of those kinds of factors. Or which looks like a character I would like as a character, not how I see myself. I like to think of those characters as actual characters, rather than copy pasta protagonist insert person. ((though that is me and I am a super weirdo.)). So basically I don't insert myself over top of said character. and I allow that character to be a character of it's own. ((this is probably due to how much I RP, where I don't let my characters be 100% me like others do.)) I actually have a problem with too much customization in things, cause it can detract from the game sometimes Imo.