Fire Emblem on the Forums: Sea of Crossroads OOC

krim

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't remind me of the time when my casual lunatic playthrough ended early due to Chrom dying to a 1% crit.

artur died to a 2% crit on my fe8 normal playthrough sobs

at the very end of a map

although to be fair my entire run of fe8 was just full of rng ripping me a new one

I'll just sit over here, being a physics major

........literature grad student hello i haven't touched math since senior year of high school orz

I've been pretty good with more intermediate things in math, but more complex things like integrals, those cause me some real trouble. Thankfully, the calculations won't be quite as bad here.

And I'm 99% sure I'll be screwing them up at least twice per map if I do make it in.

The issue with that it´s going to take up a ton of space listing complete data for every enemy. Especially later on when the maps get bigger. I´ll see what I can do though (Likely putting every enemy in it´s own spoiler will fix it.)

The issue with that it´s going to take up a ton of space listing complete data for every enemy. Especially later on when the maps get bigger. I´ll see what I can do though (Likely putting every enemy in it´s own spoiler will fix it.)

I mean, it ain't that nessacary to be brutally honest. Hell, pyon doesn't do it in ashes, and for the most part I think the party has gotten by mostly by making rough guestimates going off the class base stats and trial and error from whether we hit or miss and how much we deal, and just reverse engineering the raw calcs from there.

i think ultimately it's up to the hosts and what they want to do

i wouldn't complain about having the calcs taken out of my hands haha

either way i'm sure we'll be all right

Edited by rokubiraijuu

I feel like being relatively nice, so I'll give the stats of all the enemies in a thing somewhere, probably in the OOC. That or as a separate thing in the cheat sheet thing, whichever is more convinient.

I was going to say having the data would be a nice thing and just because Ashes doesn't, doesn't mean this has to follow suit. In FE games, you get the enemy data simple as that so yeah. :)

One more day to go before the big announcement. Crossing fingers tightly :)

slides in hello

Name: Royce Lasnar
Class: Priest -> Saint
Character Skill: Charisma- Allied units gain a 10 point bonus to Hit and Evasion if they are within 3 spaces of the character with this skill. The owner of this skill does not gain the bonus. Multiple sources of Charisma do not stack.
Month of birth: Ayam
Personal Flaw: Vow of Pacifism- Can never counter attack or initiate attacks. He can also only use Ailment Staves that are one proficiency stage lower than his actual Stave proficiency(For example, if his proficiency is D, he can only use E staves).
Personal Skill: The Pen is Mightier than the Sword- If Charisma is active on three or more units, Royce gains +15 Evasion.
Personal Skill: Horse Whisperer- If fighting against Pegasi units, -2 Damage per Round.
Promotion Personal Skill: Lighting Never Strikes Twice- When facing Thunder Magic, +10 to Avoid.

Preferred Stats: Resistance, Luck

Weapon Proficiency: Healing Staves ©, Staves (D)

Level: 1
Total Level: 1

Progression Spent: 330/330

HP: 16 (10%)
STR: 2 (10%)
MAG: 4 (+50) [+1]
SKL: 2 (+0)
LCK: 6 (70%) [+2]
DEF: 1 (0%) [+1]
RES: 8 (70%)
SPD: 6 (55%)

MOV: 5
CON: 5
AID: 4

Inventory:
Vulnerary
Heal30/30

i'll add in a mugshot later //weeps

Edited by Saku

I was going to say having the data would be a nice thing and just because Ashes doesn't, doesn't mean this has to follow suit. In FE games, you get the enemy data simple as that so yeah. :)

One more day to go before the big announcement. Crossing fingers tightly :)

There are many reasons to not show the data as making it permanently seeable would more or less make it permanent. I'm not saying Hosts should fudge things behind the scenes, but there are times where it could and should happen. Let's say some unfortunate crit or a player makes a mistake that could end the entire run by just one enemy being too strong. The host could lower its stats so that not everyone gets slaughtered (it'll probably still cost them though). This leaves room for error on both the player and host sides versus straight stats that once released, are in nobody's control in desperate times.

This is not a video game where someone could test something to see how it performs and make changes for what players experience. There will be mistakes and misjudgements. It's also based around players instead of a single person controlling all movements. RPs rarely go straight in the direction the host plans so they need to adapt and often change some of their plans. Neither option is right or wrong. One just has more control.

There are many reasons to not show the data as making it permanently seeable would more or less make it permanent. I'm not saying Hosts should fudge things behind the scenes, but there are times where it could and should happen. Let's say some unfortunate crit or a player makes a mistake that could end the entire run by just one enemy being too strong. The host could lower its stats so that not everyone gets slaughtered (it'll probably still cost them though). This leaves room for error on both the player and host sides versus straight stats that once released, are in nobody's control in desperate times.

Which... is the reason you don't instantly die and they have turns to get you back on your feet to counteract wayward crits just ending it all. ((and really any scenario that you brought up as well.)) Sorry, but fudging imo... really isn't cool and it ruins the integrity of the game in my opinion. There's mechanics in place to safeguard from RNG being the end all be all in this situation. I really don't agree with anything stated here since well it's very off base. Players will notice if you switch somethings stats that's already attacked, or if they know enough to figure out the numbers they'll see that you did it.

Unless you're just going to assume player's will pay zero attention to that This while an rp, is also heavily inspired within a tactics game where having information is vital. Cause it's easier to play around something if you know what it and you are capable of. What does it matter lowering somethings stats due to an attack if the player had the necessary information to have never made it in the first place? Like you realize if you give them the information... they... can't be wrong right? They see the stats and then weight the options ((or I dunno... don't initiate an attack that does more damage then they thought because they have the tools to know EXACTLY what will happen.)) I really don't follow the logic of fudging because if they have the information, those situations are cut down on much more without having to intentionally go out of your way to baby the players.

Even if something is a bit overly powerful knowing where it's strengths and weaknesses lie... imo make it possible to play around an enemy being a little stronger than thought. You can then start trying to kite it, or using your range units to good effect etc... etc. Giving players more information is never a bad thing and I will never understand a single person who says otherwise. I still personally think fudging is literally the worst thing you can do as a host because it's not owning up to little mishaps and instead erasing them because you can't admit you goofed. Rarely is it going to lead to a tpk. ((like you'd have to fuck up big time to have a single unit etc... wipe a party.)) and there is things in place that take off some of this burden. There's a reason you have three turns to pick up allies, it's so you have the time to access whether picking them up right away is better or to kill off all the enemies that are threatening at the current time.

There's cases on both sides for sure but for me it will always air more towards giving the players more information than purposefully obfuscating it from them, because 9 times out of ten the issue is the unnecessary obfuscation.

People need to stop being so piss scared of character death. It happens. And it can be fun and very moving in a narrative. It can have a lot of impact and create amazing scenes. I'm very tired of the attitude of fudging to protect players. You are just robbing them of the actual experience by diluting and ruining the integrity of the game and further removing any error of their mistakes. Yes, people make mistakes. They also learn from them, but they do not learn if you smooth over every mistake you make for them. They do not learn as players at all and will keep making that misatke so long as you keep covering for them. So guess what! DON'T.

In our opinion, Hukuna is correct on this. Enemy stats will be shown wherever we find a place for them. (Likely on a cheat sheet. Look at the ones in Ashes for a basis of what I'm talking about.)

Looks like the moment is upon us. What you've all been waiting for!

The accepted characters are....

Rayne, Pegasus Knight. (Hukuna)

Belros "Swift Edge", Spy. (ExLink)

Cadence Albus, Fencer. (Stratos)

Emilee, Sister. (Pyon)

Darius Dimanet, Shaman. (Anstane)

Idei, Nomad. (Roku)

Chirya, Dancer. (Grasssnake)

Congratulations to those of you that made the cut, and apologies to those that didn't.

There will be more chances for recruitment later on down the line, so don't worry too much about being left out. We'll be sure to pm you if we think your character is fitting for something in the future, once it gets closer to that time.

Or - submissions can re-open even later, and whole new characters can be submitted - if we so desire.

Play will begin on Friday at 3 PM EST. Let's have some fun with this.

oh, wow! thank you so much hosts for letting me in! i'm absolutely honored and it's a privilege to be here <3

apologies up front to my fellow players because this is my first time doing an rpg of this kind and my first time doing any rp on these forums

( though i'm in no way a stranger to rp overall )

but hopefully i'll pick things up as i go along!

i'm also nowhere near a veteran fe-gamer and possibly the worst strategical mind to ever touch the series, so also apologies up front if i make dumb moves ( hopefully you all who are much better at this can cover for my idiocy )

i'm really, really excited about this game and looking forward to getting to know all of you and your characters better!

Congratulations to my 2 friends Link and Roku for making it.

I'm sure you'll do awesome Roku and I'll be watching over time so just try your best. Maybe play some FE over time to get a better hang of the mechanics, strategy etc. :)

Wish we could have been together all three of us for this but it's fine but in reality I'm very sad.

Also congratulations Pyon. You're not just a host but a participant this time. Can't wait to see how you do. :D

I agree with Commander which is why I gave him a like on his comment.

Have a great night and I need time to grieve the exclusion of my character for the time being lol. XD :P

i actually play fe near-constantly; it doesn't make me much better at it though hah

thanks for your kind words, though

Oh okay, I didn't know so I was just being careful.

No problem and you're welcome about the kind words. :) Hopefully together we three can still be in this later on when more recruitment happens but if not, oh well I guess and Link and Roku, make sure to have loads of fun for me as well. ;)