Things that you DONT like on Pokemon Reborn.

Karyuudan

I guess people complained enough about terra and other characters.

So let me try to bring something new.

Lack of tms and trainers is one thing, but not even being able to inherit moves by breeding(because of stupid gen 6). Makes pokemons completely dependent on their moves by level up, which makes several tm dependent pokemons quite useless/underpowered like ludicolo, klefky, eevee evolutions.

Also, route 1. Wasted so much time thinking it was the right way to go and all that for a heracross.

(Looks at code for about 10 seconds) New feature coming to hardcore: the breedable TM system is back (I'll probably link it to nostalgia mode tbh).

But imo, I prefer the new system over the old one. The thing about TMs is that once they become available they are infinite compared to the one time only Gen IV style which is why it was needed in the first place. Sure it cripples some mons, but it can also snap the game in half quite easily for the expert breeders. So why then would I add it back into hardcore? One reason:

"In order to optimize xxx to the fullest please download episode 12 to use TM breeding."

People are suggesting to use a version that came out two years ago and I could still see it happening in the next two episodes as well. It's mostly a feature I just negated. Then again, I rarely even breed or reset event mons in the first place for Hardcore even since Shadow Sneak Gallade was my first one.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a minor thing, but...

My pride demands that I not back down from the battle against El and his Ditto!Arceus. Problem? Having to sit through 100 or so text boxes of dialogue between every single attempt. Would it have been a problem having us initiate combat, giving us a chance to save the game or at least a "Skip all the dialogue" button? For, say, Gym Leaders I don't mind because it's only like 5 seconds. For El, it's about a minute of just spamming Z before I can finally try again and lose at the last second because of COURSE Judgment hits the 1/4 of becoming grass-type and hitting my Swampert's double Grass weakness.

• Global Mods

Perhaps a minor thing, but...

My pride demands that I not back down from the battle against El and his Ditto!Arceus. Problem? Having to sit through 100 or so text boxes of dialogue between every single attempt. Would it have been a problem having us initiate combat, giving us a chance to save the game or at least a "Skip all the dialogue" button? For, say, Gym Leaders I don't mind because it's only like 5 seconds. For El, it's about a minute of just spamming Z before I can finally try again and lose at the last second because of COURSE Judgment hits the 1/4 of becoming grass-type and hitting my Swampert's double Grass weakness.

I remember reading that a text skip feature was being worked on for E16.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm new here. I apologize in advance if you don't understand my English right away.

Things I don't like in Reborn?

- Route 1 and 2 (every puzzle in those places)

- Tedious backtracking

- The 'Devon Building' puzzles (I was not aware that the electric tile switch can still be used there)

- High encounter rates (I'm wondering why other players experience low encounter rates when in my playthrough of the game, I had to use max repels every time)

- The Obsidia Slums (The leap puzzles are just torture)

- Chrysolia Forest (The forest before Spinel. Took me a day to pass through that place)

About the characters... (I'll just share some of my insight on some characters and their possible development(if I can give some))

Protagonist - I don't mind silent protagonists (since I've played so much SMT and didn't mind how silent the protagonists were) but in the game, the protagonist is just too... passive. 

Fern - Probably the most pathetic character in the game, in my opinion. Calls everyone losers and even joins Team Meteor to prove that point, which up until EP16 he doesn't prove such point of his. A good beating would probably be nice for him to learn.

Cain - More character development would probably be nice, but then if the devs still want him to be the funny, flirty pansexual he is (I really thought he was gay, which I would've liked more though *wink wink*), it's still okay.

Victoria - She needs more development. As in, more character development. I loved her character in the game.

Aya - She needs to learn to not push people away from her life.

HardyHOT DAMN HE'S DREAMY But I'm getting this feeling that he'll become a coward for the next episodes. Dunno why.

Luna - To be honest, her fascination to the darkness is a bit too creepy to my liking (or maybe it's just me).

Shade - We need more of him, and by more I mean we need more Shade immersed in the plot.

Terra - Her meme talk is just triggering me to absolute levels.

Titania - She's stupid for leaving her diary out in the open; most especially with the content of the said diary of being in a forced relationship with your best friend, which you are currently with. It's like she wants to be found out on purpose.

Bennett - I really feel for this guy. I went through a similar phase as him in my life (except for the obsession part), so I understand how he feels. I hope he gets what I got in my life - a good slap on the face by reality so he could finally snap out of it, learn, and atone (Just like I did). I hope he gets a lot of character development, whether he'd be with the good guys or be one of the villains in the end. Plus he's a cutie nerd who probably needs some good spanking *wink wink*(Sorry, I found his character sprite really cute in my opinion)

Blake - Oh just f*ck this guy. He triggers me more than Terra and Fern. He needs to die

Cal - I feel like he's gonna be a traitor again in the next episodes. I just can't shake that feeling.

Heather - It was a good thing I started playing Reborn when episode 16 came out. If it weren't for her deeds on Ametrine, I would've wanted for this girl to get slapped real hard by reality. I hated her bitching during the early moments of the game. Hopefully she could act more maturely, despite being 9 or 10.

Taka - I'm getting a cowardly vibe from him, even early on in the game. Hopefully he'd man up and be brave to defy/side with his father.

Damn, that was a lot.

Edited by rivalhyuu454

• Global Mods

It's not necessarily something I dislike, just find odd and maybe could use updating. 

Ame has said more than once before that she imagines levels don't literally exist and are just for gameplay purposes like when a character gives you an item and tells you what button to push to use it (I agree with this). But also, in the new Reborn City the Joey fanboy youngsters near the fountain in Peridot fantasize about a Pokemon going over level 100. 

Mention of levels is unavoidable when getting a gym badge, since it'll have to be explained what level the badge allows obedience up to. The Snubbull girl also probably needs to be explicit, although when she says Snubbull stopped obeying at level 20, it should actually be 21. They'll obey up to level 20 without a badge, it's when they go over that they start to disobey. But with Ame's thoughts on levels only as a gameplay mechanic, the youngsters talking about levels like that doesn't really make sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

It's not necessarily something I dislike, just find odd and maybe could use updating. 

Ame has said more than once before that she imagines levels don't literally exist and are just for gameplay purposes like when a character gives you an item and tells you what button to push to use it (I agree with this). But also, in the new Reborn City the Joey fanboy youngsters near the fountain in Peridot fantasize about a Pokemon going over level 100. 

Mention of levels is unavoidable when getting a gym badge, since it'll have to be explained what level the badge allows obedience up to. The Snubbull girl also probably needs to explicit, although when she says Snubbull stopped obeying at level 20, it should actually be 21. They'll obey up to level 20 without a badge, it's when they go over that they start to disobey. But with Ame's thoughts on levels only as a gameplay mechanic, the youngsters talking about levels like that doesn't really make sense to me. 

I think it's odd as well, but since it's just an NPC convo I don't think it should be updated, unless Ame wants to.

• Global Mods
3 minutes ago, rivalhyuu454 said:

I think it's odd as well, but since it's just an NPC convo I don't think it should be updated, unless Ame wants to.

It being just an NPC convo is exactly why I find it odd. With the leaders, levels have to be mentioned so players will know the max obedience level (they're also listed on the trainer card, but not everyone looks at the trainer card often). But with these two NPCs, they don't serve as a way to explain something to the player about levels. These are just two people having a normal, in-universe, non-gameplay mechanic related conversation in a universe where Ame considers levels only a gameplay mechanic for the player.

1 hour ago, GS BALL said:

Only one thing... WEATHER!!!

[...]

Or if you insist it to be random, at least make them rotate equally!

Looking at the scripts, it seems it would actually be pretty easy to have them shuffle instead of being random.

(Shuffle=put them in a random order, then cycle through them all, each once only, then rearrange them and repeat)
I wonder if Ame is going to consider your idea? If not, it should be possible to mod it in anyway.

EDIT I've modded it in for you (AKA "I haven't done a playthrough with it installed; be careful!")... if you want to try it, here's the link (too heavy, can't simply attach it to the post... sorry).
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=24284900388266737391

(It's a good idea to make a backup of both scripts.rxdata and your save file, just in case should anything go horribly wrong)

PS If you messed up with the calendar and got it stuck, you could try using this pokegear app to unstuck it first (the "control weather" app [use both options!] should prompt the game into updating its internal time using the current one, even though it's before the one it registered when you put the calendar forward... did it fix it for you?):
http://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24679-weather/&do=findComment&comment=607947

Edited by Waynolt

1 hour ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

It being just an NPC convo is exactly why I find it odd. With the leaders, levels have to be mentioned so players will know the max obedience level (they're also listed on the trainer card, but not everyone looks at the trainer card often). But with these two NPCs, they don't serve as a way to explain something to the player about levels. These are just two people having a normal, in-universe, non-gameplay mechanic related conversation in a universe where Ame considers levels only a gameplay mechanic for the player.

Since they're just NPCs it may just be for the joke of it. Reborn has several moments of breaking the 4th wall, so I can reasonably expect parts of the game to do just that, especially if they're irrelevant NPCs. Personally I don't like wall-breaking humor unless it involves blasting Sigmund through one but we got some of it. [shrugs]

That, or it's an oversight. It happens.

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_nw9rq0gSqG1tvim1h_500.png

Like, say, Laura giving us a timeframe for how long it's been between her leaving the orphanage and us arriving at Tanzan. Despite Ame saying she wants the timeline of the game to be vague so players can imagine it as they wish.

8 hours ago, rivalhyuu454 said:
Spoiler

Hi, I'm new here. I apologize in advance if you don't understand my English right away.

Things I don't like in Reborn?

- Route 1 and 2 (every puzzle in those places)

- Tedious backtracking

- The 'Devon Building' puzzles (I was not aware that the electric tile switch can still be used there)

- High encounter rates (I'm wondering why other players experience low encounter rates when in my playthrough of the game, I had to use max repels every time)

- The Obsidia Slums (The leap puzzles are just torture)

- Chrysolia Forest (The forest before Spinel. Took me a day to pass through that place)

About the characters... (I'll just share some of my insight on some characters and their possible development(if I can give some))

Protagonist - I don't mind silent protagonists (since I've played so much SMT and didn't mind how silent the protagonists were) but in the game, the protagonist is just too... passive. 

Fern - Probably the most pathetic character in the game, in my opinion. Calls everyone losers and even joins Team Meteor to prove that point, which up until EP16 he doesn't prove such point of his. A good beating would probably be nice for him to learn.

Cain - More character development would probably be nice, but then if the devs still want him to be the funny, flirty pansexual he is (I really thought he was gay, which I would've liked more though *wink wink*), it's still okay.

Victoria - She needs more development. As in, more character development. I loved her character in the game.

Aya - She needs to learn to not push people away from her life.

HardyHOT DAMN HE'S DREAMY But I'm getting this feeling that he'll become a coward for the next episodes. Dunno why.

Luna - To be honest, her fascination to the darkness is a bit too creepy to my liking (or maybe it's just me).

Shade - We need more of him, and by more I mean we need more Shade immersed in the plot.

Terra - Her meme talk is just triggering me to absolute levels.

Titania - She's stupid for leaving her diary out in the open; most especially with the content of the said diary of being in a forced relationship with your best friend, which you are currently with. It's like she wants to be found out on purpose.

Bennett - I really feel for this guy. I went through a similar phase as him in my life (except for the obsession part), so I understand how he feels. I hope he gets what I got in my life - a good slap on the face by reality so he could finally snap out of it, learn, and atone (Just like I did). I hope he gets a lot of character development, whether he'd be with the good guys or be one of the villains in the end. Plus he's a cutie nerd who probably needs some good spanking *wink wink*(Sorry, I found his character sprite really cute in my opinion)

Blake - Oh just f*ck this guy. He triggers me more than Terra and Fern. He needs to die

Cal - I feel like he's gonna be a traitor again in the next episodes. I just can't shake that feeling.

Heather - It was a good thing I started playing Reborn when episode 16 came out. If it weren't for her deeds on Ametrine, I would've wanted for this girl to get slapped real hard by reality. I hated her bitching during the early moments of the game. Hopefully she could act more maturely, despite being 9 or 10.

Taka - I'm getting a cowardly vibe from him, even early on in the game. Hopefully he'd man up and be brave to defy/side with his father.

Damn, that was a lot.

Keep in mind, every main character and some events (e.g. suicide, Cain`s situation at home) are based on real situations, from when Reborn was online competetive league. Thus, Fern is only a little bit exaggerated in his douchebagness, Cain was sexting people during battles, etc. There are also a lot of references and hints that are clear only to people who participated in said league, like TV interview in E16 refers to Amaria K.O.-ing 0-6 somebody after she has had an accident in real life (I wasnt member of this league, somebody explained it over here). Due to all of this, characters and their stories rather wont be changed to great extent, even if literally everybody hates Terra, she reflects as it was. I may only agree that Victoria needs more presence in the story, I also liked her. I bet we haven`t seen best of Shade yet, there are hard speculations about it, same goes for Taka.

Anyway, I rather liked puzzles, except those with webs in Aventurine Forest, this was awful, I`d gladly see it changed. Like, we dont need to wait for Heracross/Pinsir battling to get rid of web or log, or anything.

So I'll preface this as saying that I finally decided to register (and stop lurking) after reading through this entire topic. I didn't have any experience with the Reborn online league, and have only been playing this game since Episode 14, but each episode since has elicited a replay from the very beginning.

There's a lot of things the game does well—better the official games, even—so this is not really a criticism of the game itself. But as it's a topic on what you don't like, I figure I'll expound on them here.

- As mentioned several times, the game gets rather tedious with the sheer amount of backtracking, especially through the city.

There could be a better sense of direction through the game. And while the wards are cool enough in design, navigating through them more than a few times just feels like a waste of time. I almost always just speed through them on my bike at 3x gamespeed. Backtracking through a city is expected, especially if you're a completionist like me, but when you're skipping through the city many times over, it really loses a lot of the appeal.

- There's a severe tedium to a lot of the puzzles.

A few of them are very well designed, but most of them are just grindfests in high encounter zones (Chrysolia, 'Mt. Doom', the Water Treatment Facility, push the crustles, and electrical-floor conveyer-belt meteor base come to mind). They aren't terribly difficult as puzzlers, but they're just long and often require going back to the same spot over and over again. These kinds of engagements get old, particularly on replays, because they don't explore anywhere new and your progress doesn't feel as tangible since your environment stays the same. Add in the high encounter rate in this game and it's either just a tax on your repels or your patience.

- Characters sometimes become rather one-dimensional.

Not necessarily that they are one-dimensional, per se, but they're often portrayed that way. And I would liken it to the worst bits of Game of Thrones writing where they essentially zone in one trait of a character and beat us over the head with it in every scene they're in (almost like reminding us that that's who they are, in case we forgot). It's how Fern will always have some way of calling you a loser, even when it makes no sense. Or how you can grow tired of Bennett by the third time he shows up the screen even if you can kind of see where he gets it. There's just so much "enough already, I get it" in the handling of characters. It seems like every character is reduced to their shtick.

- Railroading of your character

I get sometimes that moving the story along is necessary, and as a game designer you can't simply allow the player too much freedom or you create a nightmare number of scenarios. But no one likes feeling like they're set up for failure no matter what they do. But the way the protagonist is handled sometimes is really immersion-breaking. I get that, as an RPG, you often want to allow the player the freedom of creating their own character (sprite, style, etc), and as such you want to keep them relatively silent so you can imagine them however you like.

But in this scenario, the last thing you want to do is force player action (or often player mistake) as a means of story progression. You take this character where you work so hard to preserve optionality and make sure they're open ended enough to fit the RP creation of a wide variety of players, but then force them to do a variety of questionable or dumb things just to advance the story.

Like why are you forced to fall into the Nuzleaf trap, even if you can clearly see that it's a trap? Why are you forced to 'read' (even though this was changed in E16 it still feels like you're forced to read it) Titania's diary to advance the plot to the Water Treatment Center? Why, if the gems are so valuable, are they filched off your character by every other character you encounter? Why isn't your, presumably reasonably intelligent, protagonist protecting these vitally important gems better? Why aren't they hidden under layers of clothing and tied to your person? Why aren't they tucked deep in your shoe/sock? Why aren't they in some carefully zipped inside pocket of your bag? Why aren't they shoved up your rectum?

There's a degree of presumed/forced incompetence about your character that makes it feel like you're set up for failure regardless of your RP preferences. Which is fine; your character can be a bit of a bumbler. But if that's canon, you might as well create a set protagonist and develop meaningful relationships/dialogue with various characters you encounter.

Edited by Katabatic

I just recently beat the game, and looking back now there wasn't a lot of elements that I disliked. I guess some of the gym bosses were too hard if you didn't have the right party, but it was simply a matter of getting gud and recognizing patterns. It was an overall enjoyable experience. 

However a few things I didn't like was how early on I kept constantly reaching the badge level limit and had to use what seemed like hundreds of common candies. It feels like a waste getting into battles only to end up lowering your pokemons level due to the constant overleveling. I also really didn't find the south aventurine woods puzzle fun, the entire process was tedious and required far too much backtracking. There's nothing wrong with backtracking if done right (side quests, events, etc) but it becomes a chore when a puzzle involves a repetitive forest area that is also the size of most wards. That much area used for a puzzle was a bit overkill and a waste since you never touch the forest again. 

I pretty much love everything in this game, specially the fact that you have to actually think and prepare before important battles and are not able to mindlessly grind lvls to get through them.

But the thing that i hate about the game is "Weather Conditioned Events"... I don't mind events depending on whether its day or night, because you can choose to play during the day or the night IRL (or change the Windows clock), but needing specific weather to trigger specific events, IMO, it's too inconvenient (specially now that weather is broken AF... it's been 2 weeks since it started raining in my last playthrough, and it doesn't look like it's gonna stop anytime soon).

I can stand some RNG (like the Mystery Egg), but this... =\

• 4 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

I could be misinterpreting it but it seems to me like Lin is making the same mistake as Solaris in underestimating the player, despite how she's otherwise built up as more competent.

I get that it's part of Lin's personality. She's the kind of villain who prefers to play with the heroes and watch them struggle slowly rather than taking them out outright. She had a similar personality in the online league, if I remember correctly from what Ame's said on tumblr. 

But after Solaris, it's kind of disappointing to see it happening again, even if for different reasons? Solaris was stronger than the player at one point, but he was complacent in his power since he's probably rarely been challenged before and didn't take into account the player eventually reaching his level. While with Lin it's her personality like I mentioned before, but in every case I've seen of a villain doing what Lin's doing, that ends up being their downfall, so it's likely we'll have both major villains being defeated because of a very similar weakness. 

Again, I could be misinterpreting it. 

1 hour ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I could be misinterpreting it but it seems to me like Lin is making the same mistake as Solaris in underestimating the player, despite how she's otherwise built up as more competent.

I get that it's part of Lin's personality. She's the kind of villain who prefers to play with the heroes and watch them struggle slowly rather than taking them out outright. She had a similar personality in the online league, if I remember correctly from what Ame's said on tumblr. 

But after Solaris, it's kind of disappointing to see it happening again, even if for different reasons? Solaris was stronger than the player at one point, but he was complacent in his power since he's probably rarely been challenged before and didn't take into account the player eventually reaching his level. While with Lin it's her personality like I mentioned before, but in every case I've seen of a villain doing what Lin's doing, that ends up being their downfall, so it's likely we'll have both major villains being defeated because of a very similar weakness. 

Again, I could be misinterpreting it. 

I actually think that Lin recognizes that the protagonist cannot face her on a fight because he is quite "underleveled" to do it so (since she used to be the Reborn Champion), we should expect her pokémon to be at level 100), also, she orders ZEL to leave the player untouched, then, perhaps she's waiting for the right moment to face us? We know very little/nothing about her, so the only thing we can do is speculate about her personality and goals.

Edited by HUEnd

• Global Mods
17 minutes ago, HUEnd said:

I actually think that Lin recognizes that the protagonist cannot face her on a fight because he is quite "underleveled" to do it so (since she used to be the Reborn Champion), we should expect her pokémon to be at level 100), also, she orders ZEL to leave the player untouched, then, perhaps she's waiting for the right moment to face us? We know very little/nothing about her, so the only thing we can do is speculate about her personality and goals.

I know Lin is stronger than us right now. Solaris was also stronger at one point and he knew it. But the player is going to get stronger. I think the difference between Solaris and Lin in this regard actually makes Solaris seem more competent. While Lin just toyed with us and didn't fight us directly, Solaris actually did take action. Maybe the reason Solaris didn't consider the player's growth is because he thought he crushed our willpower after demonstrating what he can do at Apophyll, which is reasonable to think since up until that point we've fought Team Meteor on equal footing and never faced an opponent of his caliber. But now it should be clear we're just going to keep fighting for as long as we can, so I think Lin should know better than to just flaunt her power. 

That being said, I could be misinterpreting it like I said in my last post. Since it seems like Lin wanted us to take care of PULSE Magnezone, maybe she has more plans for us and that's why she doesn't just defeat us, especially considering she didn't do so at Tanzan either despite knowing Sirius was lying about us. Maybe she even wants the player to get stronger. Since she mentioned Ame being weak, maybe she wants a challenge. 

• 5 months later...

I don't like that IVs are still a thing. In normal Pokemon, this madness only affects competitive players at all.

IMO, catching dozens of a Pokemon clashes with the feel of Pokemon somehow. It also ruins the special moment of encountering and obtaining a Pokemon you want.

You end up playing catch-and-release for a while(for all the Pokemon you add to your team, probably hours). Breeding is even worse, as you release dozens of newly-hatched Pokemon out into the wild. They would either either be eaten; or survive, level up, and wreak havoc. The gameplay IVs result in is bad thematically, mechanically, and implication-ally.

This is why I would recommend Sandbox Mode even for normal playthroughs, if you have sufficient self-control and awareness to not break the game.

IVs should really be treated as though they are 31 except for Hidden Power. These "IVs" could be adjusted later in the game. (I.E. Trick Room, Play Rough, Confuse)

Edited by icedsdcard

I mean IV's are kind of a mechanic of the franchise itself, It's something I personally wish just didn't exist at all. But i don't fault reborn the game for keeping the mechanical structure of the games its based on. (Also you really don't need perfect ivs for reborn. If they aren't zero and you have a good nature, you should be fine.)

The thing that bothers me the most? Probably grinding early on. I remember my first play through i probably spent upwards of 15 hours grinding in the time before i beat corey. After that it gets significantly easier, although I still hate the grind. This gets even worse when I like to constantly replace pokemon for better or cooler ones.

I actually don't have many problems with reborn. I can't even compare it to canon games in my head because I started with competitive and have never once played a canon game lol.