Things that you DONT like on Pokemon Reborn.

Karyuudan

That doesn't explain their lack of action the slightest, though, because as we've seen over and over, the orphans are terrified of the prospect of returning to Sigmund.

They know he has the legal right to take them, but they don't want to be taken, and thus nothing would be stopping them from at least trying to defend themselves.

It's not legal for them to be on the run together with youin the first place, after all.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Global Mods

Oh.

Maybe they think Sigmund is tricky and will have Meteor or the orderlies do something while they're distracted battling him (like how Sigmund used Thundershock on Laura)?

The lacking fight response sounds plausible, but they did have their Pokemon out when reaching Sigmund at the orphanage (and Charlotte burned him with her cigarette).

Maybe it has to do with mentality? I mean they can do pkmn fights but can they hurt people? I mean Charlotte can, but considering where she is, I don't think she would fight. Don't want to burn down the house twice. The rest doesn't seem the type to hurt people.

I do think they'd probably be highly wary about fighting Sigmund, knowing he would try whatever he must to get them. But I find it odd that none of them would be attempting to at least put up a fight. Charlotte, for one, sure doesn't seem the type to surrender willingly.

Which is what made me headcanon the bit about how their reflexes and battle skills may have regressed to an extent, as they are out of practise. (And this would go both for the trainers and for their Pokémon.)

Sure Sigmund would go to any length to get the orphans back, as we've already seen. But it's not in character for some of them to give up just because they might lose.

We've seen them readily team up on Sigmund when you free Heather, so they clearly do have the guts to challenge him.

Ooh I kinda like the regressed reflexes explanation. They're probably okay with a normal sanctioned six-on-six battle, but the instincts to get out their Pokemon immediately probably dwindled overtime, especially considering how helpless Sigmund must've made them feel. It might not explain why Shelly didn't seem to do anything either, but that can be passed off as her being naturally meek and not used to dealing with people who actively mean her harm.

Yeah, with Shelly it makes enough sense to me to say that she's just that meek.

Her entire character arc, after all, was about how she needed to overcome her fear, and it wasn't until Ametrine that she had the "click" moment where she realized she'd have to be brave. Her teaming up with you against the Meteors was exactly that. (And the part where you and her are in the orphanage had her clearly motivated by the thought of saving Heather.)

Shelly is a talented battler, but for most of the game so far she did not have the strength to stand up against others, especially not alone.

She also expressed on at least one occasion that she feels more safe and confident when she's with someone she trusts. So if nobody else were to put up a battle, she'd be less likely to as well.

I think the Player character has worse reflexes than everybody else combined.

Dittovoir stealing your pendant? Doesn't react, needs Cain to stop her from taking the Ruby ring as well.

Luna about to be sacrificed by El. Doesn't react, Radomus stops El easily proving you aren't needed during any of the Vanhanen castle arc

Charlotte and Blake stealing the ring. Doesn't react. Suspect Player just wants to get rid of the thing at this point.

Sirius sending a Chadelure to burn your soul. Doesn't react. Needs Aya to run up and push you out of the way.

I swear to god there needs to be a dodge button because holy shit.

Suspect Player just wants to get rid of the thing at this point.

Not gonna lie, I'd love to toss the damn thing into Mount Doom the lake or something

Then claim that I tragically lost it. I mean, that ring is a bad luck charm if I've ever heard of one. Being the Seal of Pain doesn't make it any better.

Not gonna lie, I'd love to toss the damn thing into Mount Doom the lake or something

Then claim that I tragically lost it. I mean, that ring is a bad luck charm if I've ever heard of one. Being the Seal of Pain doesn't make it any better.

That's a good point actually.

Why not just destroy the ring?

I know it has sentimental value but fuck that. Gotta save the world.

Although maybe it's blessed with Arceus voodoo and can't be destroyed by normal means?

Maybe it has to do with mentality? I mean they can do pkmn fights but can they hurt people? I mean Charlotte can, but considering where she is, I don't think she would fight. Don't want to burn down the house twice. The rest doesn't seem the type to hurt people.

I have a similar theory.

We gotta remember that Noel and Anna are just two kids. Now, I'm not gonna say that just because they are children, they are unable to hurt someone: but I believe it doesn't fall in natural for children to hurt someone, even if it is self defense.

I'm not gonna include Charlotte here since she did actually burn Sigmund out of her own free will. As well as that she's older than Anna and Noel. Her mind has developed more with age than those two have.

I choked someone once for trying to poke me with a pen. (phobia of sharp objects in certain situations like being pointed at me)

Remember that I said it was just a theory and me assuming things based of my beliefs. It's not that I said children are unable to harm anyone.

Remember that I said it was just a theory and me assuming things based of my beliefs. It's not that I said children are unable to harm anyone.

I can see the logic behind that. But it's also because they're nice kids. I mean Anna's a little touched in the head and Noel is henpecked but they don't seem like the violent type like Heather and Charlotte

The story, this game has the most cringey and painfully edgy story i ever seen on a fan game

Its like reading a 7 year olds tumblr fanfiction. WHY DO ALL THE CHARACTERS LOOK LIKE EMOS

Yeah, the story's kinda edgy. It's not nearly as bad as you seem to think, though. Just look at Insurgence, Rejuvenation, and Snakewood.

(Oh my fucking god Snakewood)

It's also true that some of the characters look emo, but again, I think you're overexaggerating.

Keep in mind that these characters were all created by different people and based on preexisting events in a Pokémon Online league. Amethyst portrays these characters as such because that's how their characters were designed by the Gym Leaders in that league.

-I don't like the randomness of some of the field effects (Short-circuit, Big Top, Crystal Cavern, etc). I don't mind consistent changes like [x type moves] gain [n boost in power], that's fine, because I can predict how hard it'll probably hit and react accordingly. What I really dislike are the fields where damage is multiplied by a random increment, so you have no idea how hard you or your opponent will hit. I know that all turn-based RPGs have an element of randomness to them, but it becomes frustrating after a while.

-The overuse of Leftovers (and related gradual-healing items) and Life Orbs on so many opponents. I understand Reborn is supposed to be hard, but I see items like that in so many battles that they're starting to become frequent annoyances more than anything else. It's like they can't think of another item to use, or that they have to give a mon an item, so they just go, "Meh I'll just give 'em Leftovers/a Life Orb too." It's also like... how many Department Store stickers do these guys have where they have so many Leftovers like it's nothing?! Maybe I want one too. Jerks.

The story, this game has the most cringey and painfully edgy story i ever seen on a fan game

Its like reading a 7 year olds tumblr fanfiction. WHY DO ALL THE CHARACTERS LOOK LIKE EMOS

If you don't like it, it begs the question. Why the hell are you here? The story is fine. It's called being mature, not edgy. I was quite invested in the story, and I don't identify myself as emo at all. I'm a 30 company manager engaged to be married. Different strokes for different folks. It's a sign of colossal immaturity for you criticize things you don't like instead of simply ignoring them.

-The overuse of Leftovers (and related gradual-healing items) and Life Orbs on so many opponents. I understand Reborn is supposed to be hard, but I see items like that in so many battles that they're starting to become frequent annoyances more than anything else. It's like they can't think of another item to use, or that they have to give a mon an item, so they just go, "Meh I'll just give 'em Leftovers/a Life Orb too." It's also like... how many Department Store stickers do these guys have where they have so many Leftovers like it's nothing?! Maybe I want one too. Jerks.

I can see what you are saying, but I'd rather go through leftovers/life orb rather than opponents using really good items like the Choice items on offensive threats or Assault Vests and Eviolites on defensive walls, but then again, I would like to see some variety in items used like perhaps useful berries or even an expert belt.

Edited by Shpee

The one thing that bothers me is that the protagonist doesn't speak. I know it's a Pokemon game, and I'm not sure it would really work if the protagonist had set lines either. Reborn's storyline is just far more complicated than canon games, and it feels odd to me.

-I don't like the randomness of some of the field effects (Short-circuit, Big Top, Crystal Cavern, etc). I don't mind consistent changes like [x type moves] gain [n boost in power], that's fine, because I can predict how hard it'll probably hit and react accordingly. What I really dislike are the fields where damage is multiplied by a random increment, so you have no idea how hard you or your opponent will hit. I know that all turn-based RPGs have an element of randomness to them, but it becomes frustrating after a while.

I see your point for the first one (a little late but it's a good point), but big top nailed it on the head when it comes to random multipliers. It can be manipulated into ones favor if done right, however, the other two can bless or screw you effortlessly. The circuit field is one of my least favorites due to screwing the AI to almost doing zero damage. It's Shade's achilles heel.

As for items, I'm ngl when I say LO is my failsafe. For Hardcore I do try to vary it up by limiting one LO per trainer, but choice items are very hard to work with. Though iirc only 5 trainers in the main story even have Life Orbs and like 10 have leftovers (I'm probably way off for lefties since it's hard to remember). In reality, Reborn's normal mode is very lacking in items. For Charlotte, Darminitan no longer is scarfed and Typhlosion has a Sitrus Berry. I know what Ame was trying to do, but there's a few items that haven't been touched that should. Herb items and Mega Stones. I know Reborn does have a variety it's just usually hard to see.

Sadly this is pretty much also true in the competitive level to a certain extent. Life Orb and Leftovers are basically some of the best all-around items for sweepers and bulky mons respectively. It's more about the lack of proper itemization than Ame being lazy here.

I see your point for the first one (a little late but it's a good point), but big top nailed it on the head when it comes to random multipliers. It can be manipulated into ones favor if done right, however, the other two can bless or screw you effortlessly. The circuit field is one of my least favorites due to screwing the AI to almost doing zero damage. It's Shade's achilles heel.

As for items, I'm ngl when I say LO is my failsafe. For Hardcore I do try to vary it up by limiting one LO per trainer, but choice items are very hard to work with. Though iirc only 5 trainers in the main story even have Life Orbs and like 10 have leftovers (I'm probably way off for lefties since it's hard to remember). In reality, Reborn's normal mode is very lacking in items. For Charlotte, Darminitan no longer is scarfed and Typhlosion has a Sitrus Berry. I know what Ame was trying to do, but there's a few items that haven't been touched that should. Herb items and Mega Stones. I know Reborn does have a variety it's just usually hard to see.

Yeah, Big Top actually isn't as bad as the others because it's possible to control it to an extent, but if you don't have the means to control it then it's still kind of a crapshoot. I didn't really notice Circuit Field's screwiness with Shade, but it did kind of weird out with PULSE Muk when its water attack became electrified and spammed it on my Donphan for a time, despite Donphan being immune to it. Otherwise, it's getting blessed or screwed due to pure RNG that I don't appreciate with the rest of the 'random' fields.

I may have overestimated how often I see Leftovers/Life Orbs. I probably just noticed them more because the fights I see them in tend to be difficult (gym leaders and Meteor Admin fights) or recurring (repeatable trainers and fights against Fern). And I can't see the back end of Reborn, so I don't always know what items a Pokemon is holding, if they're holding one at all, so I don't notice variety. Leftovers/Life Orb are just more noticeable... and annoying.

Sadly this is pretty much also true in the competitive level to a certain extent. Life Orb and Leftovers are basically some of the best all-around items for sweepers and bulky mons respectively. It's more about the lack of proper itemization than Ame being lazy here.

It might be the opposite: Ame has so much on her plate that some things can fall through the cracks, like items. But that means that certain item placements can seem haphazard, almost like there's an obligation to give a mon an item. Like, give a hard-hitting mon a Life Orb to make it hit harder, or give it Leftovers... just because. It seems less strategy to get around, and more an inconvenience.

The fact that the game throws too much money at the player... I thought we were supposed to be hobos living off scraps, not millionaires. Seriously, by the end of the game I had 300k Reborn Dollars, enough to always have plenty of Ice Cream and Ptions at hand, making the game easier than it needs to be.

I'd have liked if the available funds were lowered.