Things that you DONT like on Pokemon Reborn.

Karyuudan

• Global Mods

Titania is a person who I both like and don't like.

I like her because she has a zero-tolerance policy for bullshit. She's the kind of person who if she had a customer service job and a customer was being unreasonable and dumb, would have no problems telling the customer to fuck off.

I don't like how hard-headed (pun intended) she was when dealing with Taka. Her relationship with Amaria gives her good reason to want him to just quit if he doesn't like it. But she sees what his father or other members of Team Meteor might do to him as irrelevant. She actually thinks it's as easy as just saying "I quit", which she shouldn't since she couldn't do that with Amaria, and still can't when she has amnesia about the whole incident.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just gonna put in my thoughts about Titania and Saphira's muder spree. I actually don't mind those parts of the games. It's clear that the player has been fighting the same meteor grunts over and over again, and every time they just come back stronger. Beating them in Pokemon battles does often slow them down, but it doesn't stop them permanently. Team Meteor's grunts have been humanized, but their goal is the destruction of the world and replacing it with their new one which seems to include the deaths of everyone who isn't a part of their group. If the antagonists don't show mercy and don't accept defeat, then why should the protagonists let them go when time and time again they just keep coming back?

That being said, I'd rather the player never be able to murder the grunts. That'd push the game into edgelord territory.

Titania is very much a hypocrite in her actions towards Taka. It took the player exposing her secret for her to break free of her situation when Amaria forgets about the whole thing she's too cowardly to break free again on her own. Yet she still antagonizes Taka for his hesitance in leaving his situation.

EDIT:

That was not to what I was referring to. The argument was: "he has so much more screentime so he has to grow so much more"; I just tend to disaggree with that based on his role he has in those arcs. A bit better formulation would have been more insightful.

Btw don't you think that we right now we are in Cain's grow arc? I mean him making up with his sister and acting like a brother to her is much different to the past him. His reaction to Aya's kidnapping is also completely different compared to the reaction to the kidnapping of Gardevoir.

Yes, Cain has reconciled with his Sister, but he doesn't seem to have actually grown as a person due to this. He can't do anything to save Aya at the moment, so he has to wait for his chance rather than bashing his head against a wall like Hardy is, which is different than when Gardevoir was kidnapped as he could actually pursue the captor. I do like Cain, but I just want to see a bit... More from him?
Edited by Personthing

That's it right there, ICSW - along with Amaria's whole arc in itself.

Before anyone complains, I don't think this is a poorly written scenario either. It's just one that personally hurts to experience. Tania's hypocrisy is preceded by a cruel charade that overrides the Tsun badassery that she falls into for me. She doesn't have a reason to be on any kind of a high horse - yet she rides one anyway. She ends up right back in the cycle again too.

Hmmm, things I don't like... Bennet I supose?

It's not even that he's poorly written, since he's supposed to be the creepy introvert who claims to understand people and thinks he's mature but really isn't, and just ends up really pathetic. But in the end I'm just really repulsed by him in all his scenes towards the end, and kind of want to skip his dialogue because of its awkwardness. Hopefully once he returns he'll be nothing like his previous self and becomes the true villain I want him to be. I really wouldn't mind him Taking a Level in Badass or something.

Hmmm, things I don't like... Bennet I supose?

It's not even that he's poorly written, since he's supposed to be the creepy introvert who claims to understand people and thinks he's mature but really isn't, and just ends up really pathetic. But in the end I'm just really repulsed by him in all his scenes towards the end, and kind of want to skip his dialogue because of its awkwardness. Hopefully once he returns he'll be nothing like his previous self and becomes the true villain I want him to be. I really wouldn't mind him Taking a Level in Badass or something.

I do like Bennett as a character for many different reasons. I only hope that he will try to become stronger on his own, instead of relying on El.

It does bother me that even after he saw what El was doing to Luna, he still want to stay with him. I understand that El did help him find strength to leave his hometown and mother: a place with people who made him miserable, but El is not a good person.

Edited by Lilleen

While reborn is indeed a great game there are some things I just didn't like. For one, it's when Cain just delays giving the key to the wasteland. I mean just give me the key and you go to apophyll and get the HM. I mean I'm surprised the orphans were alive for so long considering how much we had to go through at that part of the game with the reserve gym leader plot. While that part of the game had it's cool moments it was unnecessarily long.

Second of all is something that has been stated many times before. I hate having to read that diary.

Finally I hate how some npcs just do whatever they want while the player character just stands still like an idiot. It just irks me at times considering that these player characters are much more badass than the canon player characters in the main games.

Oops, I feel like I sort of revived this so here I am again.

I agree about Titania, I just. Ehhhh.

My reasons for disliking Titania are more attributed to her love life and not so much playing Miss Murder.

...and before anyone asks, it's not because she and Amaria are lesbians. That's perfectly fine.

Same here, really. It's not because lesbians, its just... Gggaaahhh I hate the forced romance drama. Like, leaving the diary out in the open. Are you kidding me. That is one of the most contrived, basic storytelling element to force the story along. And I am very fond of Amaria, but that whole scene, I just... I was not shocked, I was not saddened. I felt far worse when Corey jumped off Beryl bridge, and that's a character we've spent even less time with.

Instead, I wanted to face palm for how contrived it felt. Of course no one stops and tries to talk. I mean, okay, I don't have depression, so obviously I can't speak about it, but I still felt it was a bit dumb Amaria decided to just jump the waterfall once she figured out Titania was lying. But I don't blame her, I blame Titania for staying in this situation. I'm sure she's an upcoming gym leader, so I can't wait to beat her down and force some sense into her. And I also agree on the points of her killing the Meteor goons as pushing the EDGE a bit too much. And I get the point of her doing it, I do, but it was still too much.

Also the oh so convenient amnesia Amaria suffered just made me want to scream into a pillow. While I can't wait to see episode 16 and how the city looks now that the MC has cleaned the water system, I can't help but feel everything else we did in there was rendered null just by that.

Oops, I feel like I sort of revived this so here I am again.

I agree about Titania, I just. Ehhhh.

Same here, really. It's not because lesbians, its just... Gggaaahhh I hate the forced romance drama. Like, leaving the diary out in the open. Are you kidding me. That is one of the most contrived, basic storytelling element to force the story along. And I am very fond of Amaria, but that whole scene, I just... I was not shocked, I was not saddened. I felt far worse when Corey jumped off Beryl bridge, and that's a character we've spent even less time with.

Instead, I wanted to face palm for how contrived it felt. Of course no one stops and tries to talk. I mean, okay, I don't have depression, so obviously I can't speak about it, but I still felt it was a bit dumb Amaria decided to just jump the waterfall once she figured out Titania was lying. But I don't blame her, I blame Titania for staying in this situation. I'm sure she's an upcoming gym leader, so I can't wait to beat her down and force some sense into her. And I also agree on the points of her killing the Meteor goons as pushing the EDGE a bit too much. And I get the point of her doing it, I do, but it was still too much.

Also the oh so convenient amnesia Amaria suffered just made me want to scream into a pillow. While I can't wait to see episode 16 and how the city looks now that the MC has cleaned the water system, I can't help but feel everything else we did in there was rendered null just by that.

I SO agree with you. At least that whole thing about the player being forced to read Titania's diary will be taken care of. Sure, the scene will still happen, but at least it will feel less more like it's your fault.

I SO agree with you. At least that whole thing about the player being forced to read Titania's diary will be taken care of. Sure, the scene will still happen, but at least it will feel less more like it's your fault.

Really? Well that's something else to look forward to. I don't remember how the house looked exactly before it got flooded but I swear I remember it was still just sitting there. I just couldn't help but face palm when Titania gives Taka a talking to about getting away from something you don't like no matter what people think, and then... She runs away from Amaria once its revealed Amaria's got amnesia. Just talk about your problems.

• Global Mods

This is based off an incident where the real person who played Amaria in the online Reborn league got into a car accident and had memory loss for a while.

I do like Bennett as a character for many different reasons. I only hope that he will try to become stronger on his own, instead of relying on El.

It does bother me that even after he saw what El was doing to Luna, he still want to stay with him. I understand that El did help him find strength to leave his hometown and mother: a place with people who made him miserable, but El is not a good person.

Hmm. Perhaps you see something in Bennet that I don't. But I see him joining El as a result of his weakness and inability to pursue strength through his own means by being taken in by (what I presume) are hollow promises. Compared to you who think it showed his determination to change himself.

Could you elaborate on your thoughts about Bennet why you like Bennet? Because so far he's been really selfish and hasn't shown any traits of quality that I can think of.

Amaria is a character that more or less is someone I've become begrudgingly fond of due to Titania's shocking amount of impunity considering she's supposedly a badass, along with the fact that I again relate to something like that all too well.

However, I don't think Amaria on her own is a strong character as a result. She lives and dies by this amnesia facet.

Something tells me that won't be the case at the end of the journey - for both of them.

I hope.

This is based off an incident where the real person who played Amaria in the online Reborn league got into a car accident and had memory loss for a while.

That does explain things, but I'm still not fond of the trope as a storytelling device.

However, I don't think Amaria on her own is a strong character as a result. She lives and dies by this amnesia facet.

Something tells me that won't be the case at the end of the journey - for both of them.

I hope.

Exactly my thoughts, and hopes.

Hmm. Perhaps you see something in Bennet that I don't. But I see him joining El as a result of his weakness and inability to pursue strength through his own means by being taken in by (what I presume) are hollow promises. Compared to you who think it showed his determination to change himself.

Could you elaborate on your thoughts about Bennet why you like Bennet? Because so far he's been really selfish and hasn't shown any traits of quality that I can think of.

Of course I can, my friend.

The reason I like Bennett was that I felt actually sorry for him. People in Spinel Town made fun of him and his hobby. Even his own mother had no respect what so ever over that he enjoyed studying bugs. When he's first introduced, you know the game tries to make him look weak: make him look pathetic.

When El came and watched the battle between the player and Bennett, he complimented Bennett even though he lost. I know this was just to get information out of the boy, but El telling Bennett that he was good for something made him realize that he wanted to become stronger. By this, he left Spinel Town and his mother behind, because he might have realized that place made him feel miserable.

When you meet him on 7th Street and while you search for Luna, you can tell that he has changed as a person: he has gained more confidence. He wasn't the same person you met in Spinel Town.

I am fully aware that he is quite misguided by El, no need to remind me, but this transformation really speaks to me. What I hope is that he leave El to become stronger on his own. He did gain confidence and strength enough to tell Luna about his true feelings for her. He doesn't have to become an elite four member, but if he did, that would show how much he has changed from when you first meet him to the last time you'll see him.

It is quite alright for people to disagree with me, but this is what I see in Bennett as a character.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

I just remembered that after you raid the orphanage with Cain, Shelly, and the kids, Charlotte makes a big deal that you guys have to go underground because the police will be after you. Nothing actually came of that, ever. I think it would've made sense to have to avoid or fight a few officers on the way. Then again, maybe that'd be a plothole if you're an honorary police member (since I assume the police will return in better shape in E16 and will be used for at least the egg thief sidequest).

The third pseudo-gender, mostly.

Someone get a hose...

Charlotte's a kid - she doesn't need to make the best decisions. Leaders older than her don't make good decisions...... COREY.

Charlotte actually makes terrible decisions. I don't need to repeat what the DerogatoryTrainer states about her; those are all valid points.

what human doesn't

The fact that other, older people also make terrible decisionsdoes not make Charlotte's any less terrible. A rotten apple in a basket full of rotten apples is just as rotten if it were a standalone one.

Still, I agree. Reborn is full of characters who make bad decisions kappa :]

This may be attributed to me sucking, but I don't like it when bosses (such as Solaris' Garchomp at Pyrous Mountain, Ditto-Arceus, etc.) are way higher level than you. I feel that it adds unnecessary difficulty in a game meant to kick you when you're down. Although it is satisfying if/when you defeat it...

People seem to really despise Charlotte for her actions(?) for some reason, though I don't really see what the deal is?

What heinous actions are you referring to that vilify her whole character and makes her something that you "hate" in Reborn?