Things that you DONT like on Pokemon Reborn.

Karyuudan

On the issue of TMs, that's just another thing that is made the way its made for purposes of keeping the game harder and otherwise to keep certain pokemon from being too overpowered too early on

I wish that people would stop parroting this. It's true that access to good moves such as Thunderbolt or Stone Edge is limited to prevent Pokemon from having easy type coverage against everything early in the game. It doesn't explain why the 7th Street move tutors or crappy TMs such as Rock Tomb, Smack Down, and Incinerate aren't available earlier (or at all)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that people would stop parroting this. It's true that access to good moves such as Thunderbolt or Stone Edge is limited to prevent Pokemon from having easy type coverage against everything early in the game. It doesn't explain why the 7th Street move tutors or crappy TMs such as Rock Tomb, Smack Down, and Incinerate aren't available earlier (or at all)

who knows, maybe because the game wants you to use pokemon with natural coverage and not TM-induced ? After all, even a crappier fire move that x pokemon can learn can sometimes be better than nothing

Something I don't like is that there's really no reason to join Team Magma, besides getting early Buizel rather than early Ponyta. Even though Magma gives you a free Houndour after you fight Team Aqua in their base, you have to wait to get the Good Rod until you get Carvanha. On the other hand, if you joined Aqua, after fighting Magma in their base, not only will they give you a Carvanha, but a wild Houndour looking for Pokesnax will be in the Magma base, and you don't have to wait till Spinel Town to get it.

also we can't get the TM for Incinerate but we get Flamethrower from Charlotte rip

It doesn't explain why the 7th Street move tutors or crappy TMs such as Rock Tomb, Smack Down, and Incinerate aren't available earlier (or at all)

This part here is something that I agree with. They would be useful earlier, but not where they are. Right now no-one uses them, when they'd be kind of on par for the early reborn city section.

- I'm going to agree with some of those move tutors only because the game feels needlessly forced in comparison to the bargain the moves actually provide, however, in the case of Smack Down, it's actually a defensable move. Rock Tomb needs to be an available TM, as does Incinerate, due to the fact that they are indeed lower tier TMs. The question that would have to be asked is "where" without changing the map significantly.

I'm not as keen on early Move Tutors and I thought that concept was kinda tacky in Black/White 2. The easiest fix for some of these tutor moves (if they are also TMs) is to make them available in the Department Store starting around the floor the TM for Round is found. That way, these moves are somewhat earned, but also aren't much too late in the game to ever be considered.

- The biggest thing that has always irked me in Reborn is how timing based Fishing is - even after it was fixed with the update. That is really the only legitimate annoyance for me. I like Reborn.

- I'm going to agree with some of those move tutors only because the game feels needlessly forced in comparison to the bargain the moves actually provide, however, in the case of Smack Down, it's actually a defensable move. Rock Tomb needs to be an available TM, as does Incinerate, due to the fact that they are indeed lower tier TMs. The question that would have to be asked is "where" without changing the map significantly.

I'm not as keen on early Move Tutors and I thought that concept was kinda tacky in Black/White 2. The easiest fix for some of these tutor moves (if they are also TMs) is to make them available in the Department Store starting around the floor the TM for Round is found. That way, these moves are somewhat earned, but also aren't much too late in the game to ever be considered.

I might be misunderstanding you but I don't have any problem with early move tutors so long as the moves they provide are the sorts of moves that are balanced for the early game. Obviously not stuff like the elemental punches and outrage, but things like electroweb and heal bell should be fine.

I hate the fact that even though this is super-realistic (which I love) . Why hasn't there been a mass genocide by Team Meteor? I know it's dark, but this game is extremely dark and that wouldn't be too Farfetch'd.

I hate the fact that even though this is super-realistic (which I love) . Why hasn't there been a mass genocide by Team Meteor? I know it's dark, but this game is extremely dark and that wouldn't be too Farfetch'd.

Because if they did it, they'd be in for a bad time.

Though it's probably because of notoriety. Let me remind you that Team Meteor already managed to destroy the Reborn region once, and it still seems that no one was aware that it was Team Meteor's fault. Just "earthquakes". The chain of command in Team Meteor have different interests, so I'm sure the higher ups would veto something like this.

The only instance where it seems that Team Meteor is being as notorious as possible is right now at the barrier in Labradorra. And that's possibly because they're desperate after Saphira murdered a lot of people during the events at the Belrose Home/Meteor Base.

Something like this would probably be feasible if Sirius was the leader though.

The level cap. So unnecessary and unfair, since gym leaders can have pokemon surpassing the cap.

Same sentiment. I think the level cap is a great idea, it removes grinding as an option, controls the pace of the game, bla bla bla

But there's no point in a level cap if you're going to greatly exaggerate the leader's advantage alongside it. The leaders get held items galore, moves that aren't garbage, a field that helps their team and you get garbage tms and at best, a type-boosting item. You're not fighting on fair terms, you're fighting on uneven ones. Strategy goes out the window when you play against them since you're severely limited in what you can do. There's no point in trying to change the terrain, because the moves required are so niche and rare at that point that you rarely have the oppurtunity to do so. It becomes a grindfest in a different sense, now you're grinding for mons outside your regular team, and this isn't a better alternative.

Gym leaders shouldn't be a wall that absolutely stops your progress. Especially in a game that has an interesting story, it completely cuts off the immersion experience and leaves you less invested. A gym leader should be challenging, I won't deny it. But it should never feel unfair

Same sentiment. I think the level cap is a great idea, it removes grinding as an option, controls the pace of the game, bla bla bla

But there's no point in a level cap if you're going to greatly exaggerate the leader's advantage alongside it. The leaders get held items galore, moves that aren't garbage, a field that helps their team and you get garbage tms and at best, a type-boosting item. You're not fighting on fair terms, you're fighting on uneven ones. Strategy goes out the window when you play against them since you're severely limited in what you can do. There's no point in trying to change the terrain, because the moves required are so niche and rare at that point that you rarely have the oppurtunity to do so. It becomes a grindfest in a different sense, now you're grinding for mons outside your regular team, and this isn't a better alternative.

Gym leaders shouldn't be a wall that absolutely stops your progress. Especially in a game that has an interesting story, it completely cuts off the immersion experience and leaves you less invested. A gym leader should be challenging, I won't deny it. But it should never feel unfair

*mails this to Jan together with a Valerie voodoo doll*

Allthough Reborn has gotten pretty honest in this department, with the leaders' levels in relation to the cap being ok. But that's fixed and broken in the same time and that's a big pass for my main gripe with the game and especially E15:

Not enough Experience.

It's a Pokemon game. There are two ways to play it: a team of 6 and that's it, or more and merrier. And I do not see any reason for the game to obstruct the second option. We're in gen6, there are 721 Pokemon in total, why should we limit ourselves or enter grindathons to keep a squad in half-decent levels? I think there should be a very very hard look at that part, hell I'm about to face Noel in my sub480 run and I've got one or two mons at 51 and that's it. ...After a Grand Hall grindathon to add new teammates, while said grindathon gave exp to my older members.

E15 further dropped the level curve in an attempt to fix that problem, lowering the levels of trainers, leaders and TauroBouffaHerraPinsirs in Route 1. The result? The opponents are of lower level... and the gap persists because there is even less exp available.

You're not fighting on fair terms, you're fighting on uneven ones.

This is the only "right" part in your speech imo because yes it's true that you are fighting on uneven terms, you're human with a brain that can think and adapt every time, your opponent is just an NPC that can do neither of those things so if there's someone at a disadvantage it's the poor Gym Leader.

I'm surprised that nobody said diglett's in the pre nerf cave field effect. Do you know how annoying it was having your Pokemon OHKO'd by a diglett because of Magnitude. You also can't escape because of that darn Arena Trap ability. Seriously, that po'd me more than anything and it made cave grinding very tedious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They aren't walls once you get the beat of the rhythm down. I'll admit that I struggled a lot on my first run because I wasn't very good at Pokemon and it was fraustrating to be stuck at a leader, but I enjoyed Reborn for that reason. It felt good getting your butt kicked and it forced you to get better and improve. The second run through I breezed through the game except for Kiki which I struggled. The only time I was ever worried about the level caps was Aya in the first run because Common Candies didn't exist back then. I think the game is very fair in how Ame circulate's Pokemon, but TMs and move tutors not so much. This is the main problem though:

Not enough Experience.

I feel Rejuvenation is far more atrocious with this issue because imo it relies heavily on grinding on some of the late game bosses because the fields are just that brutally unfair. Valerie you pretty much need a different team because she just does way too much damage, almost always outspeeds, and the rain boost doesn't help. The problem with Audino grinding is that the new pokemon are usually weaker because all they can get is HP creating a bit of a paradox in the process. Audinos can also be a bit of a pain to grind on...making the game lag a bit more than it should.

This is kind of my thought process in making hardcore: people already played Reborn and want a challenge, but they probably don't want to spend hours grinding off of Pokemon just for some difficult battles. I did a little experiment by throwing a lucky egg and exp share available right after receiving your starter. I was expecting leaders to be too easy and everyone would be over the cap...except they weren't and the battles were still difficult. Due to the five level shift, I actually was able to triple the amount of experience compared to the official game of reborn. Here's kind of how it went down:

In normal reborn, you rarely saw fully evolved teams for normal trainers until about Charlotte. Some are fully evolved, but many teams have mid staged Pokemon along with them. In hardcore, you start seeing them around Florinia. Combined with the five level shift, it's kind of hard not to be in level range unless you change out 3-6 Pokemon each episode. There were points I had no idea what the leveling would look like which eventually led to a revamp of the whole mod to better balance it out.

Mystery egg exclusives, puzzles, and grinding.

For the egg, I just don't like leaving one of a kind Pokemon to RNG, I'm an imbecile so puzzles are a no go, and the grinding wasn't too prominent until the circus. I went in 5-10 levels under and there isn't a single good grind spot during/past the circus.

Edited by Ronan Erudon

Mystery egg exclusives, puzzles, and grinding.

For the egg, I just don't like leaving one of a kind Pokemon to RNG, I'm an imbecile so puzzles are a no go, and the grinding wasn't too prominent until the circus. I went in 5-10 levels under and there isn't a single good grind spot during/past the circus.

Actually in episode 15 there's a clown you can fight unlimited times and he uses different teams each time. He hangs out by the powder vial shop.

I'm not fond of the first gym fight, myself. She covers so many bases that I have a horrendous time fighting her. In the canon games, my usual tactic is to level my team until I'm a good five to ten levels above the strongest member of the leaders team. Since that's generally a bad move in Reborn with the cap and all, I looked at the gym type and decided to funnel a ton of XP into my Snivy so it would evolve, and then I'd take down the Emolga with my other mons and sweep the rest with servine+leaf tornado.

Only to find out that she's got a SapSipper Blitzle with Flame charge - OHKO'd my entire team. I still have yet to beat her since I can't find anything that won't be OHKO'd by her damned blitzle.

Oh, and Fern. I despise Fern with every fibre of my being.

I'm not fond of the first gym fight, myself. She covers so many bases that I have a horrendous time fighting her. In the canon games, my usual tactic is to level my team until I'm a good five to ten levels above the strongest member of the leaders team. Since that's generally a bad move in Reborn with the cap and all, I looked at the gym type and decided to funnel a ton of XP into my Snivy so it would evolve, and then I'd take down the Emolga with my other mons and sweep the rest with servine+leaf tornado.

Only to find out that she's got a SapSipper Blitzle with Flame charge - OHKO'd my entire team. I still have yet to beat her since I can't find anything that won't be OHKO'd by her damned blitzle.

All I can say for early Gym Leaders like Julia is try Fury Cutter Kricketune. It wrecks souls.

I'm not fond of the first gym fight, myself. She covers so many bases that I have a horrendous time fighting her.

It's one of the signs that this is not the usual pokémon game you're used to play.

If the train exploding wasn't enough to prove that already.

I totally agree. It's such a frustrating battle because you can't even buy yourself time with potions due to them setting up with Charge Beam all the time. I mean, what exactly do the developers expect us to do. There's no good/suitable pokemon to catch to help with the gym. There's nowhere to grind. There's no TMs or move tutors to improve my team. I have moves like Pound while the gym leader has Sonicboom, Explosion, Charge Beam, Acrobatics. And don't give me the 'oooh this game's supposed to be difficult, git gud'. There's a difference between a challenging game and a badly structured game. I mean, the leap in difficulty from every battle so far to the gym, with no corresponding way to improve your own team in between, is totally ridiculous.

My starter is Piplup which is dead weight for this gym. I have no option except either spending hours grinding against the wild Goldeen or starting the game again and going for a different starter. I don't have that kind of time to waste. Shame, this game looked promising.

Edited by TKGriffiths