Shields on rift pokemon is completely stupid

MrStormy

I'm sorry, am I the only one that thinks that giving the volcanion with 200 spatk shields so it can't be leech seeded or flinched was an extremely horrible idea?

I don't care if I can now wipe to it or not, the whole point of the run is to NOT wipe!

Volcanion specifically got even dumber cause you can't even bait it into becoming weaker with overheat, you just lose unless you get like mega para/sleep hax

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Moto said:

Boss mons have to be immune to basically all cheese in order to be difficult in a 6v1.

a volcanion with steam eruption, flamethrower, bulldoze and rock tomb doesn't even need the rift stats to 1 shot your entire team, you either hit him, do 30% and die or you switch, get hit for 30% and do 0 dmg.

that wouldn't be a problem if I could just rockslide with solrock and lunatone, losing 2 mons and killing with another is fine but with shields you need solrock lunatone and 2 other pokemon to break the 2 shields. if you're lucky to get 4 pokemon like that in a nuzlocke that's still 4 pokemon lost after fighting a shadow mewtwo which presumably killed a few of your mons already

Just now, MrStormy said:

a volcanion with steam eruption, flamethrower, bulldoze and rock tomb doesn't even need the rift stats to 1 shot your entire team, you either hit him, do 30% and die or you switch, get hit for 30% and do 0 dmg.

that wouldn't be a problem if I could just rockslide with solrock and lunatone, losing 2 mons and killing with another is fine but with shields you need solrock lunatone and 2 other pokemon to break the 2 shields. if you're lucky to get 4 pokemon like that in a nuzlocke that's still 4 pokemon lost after fighting a shadow mewtwo which presumably killed a few of your mons already

the game is not balanced around nuzlockes.

• Like 1

Lol Volcanion is the easiest rift mon, are you that dumb to not be able to defeat it that easily? You can even lower it's stats and give it status effects. It's slow af

The game is not even suited for nuzlockes but a lot of smart people here can cheese it easy

• Haha 1

Just now, MrStormy said:

if your game isn't balanced enough to be nuzlocked then it's badly balanced.

Nuzlockes only exist to "fix" the awful, low difficulty in 99% of pokemon games. Rejuv has actual suitable difficulty, the game does not need to be nuzlocked to be hard. If you want to still try, feel free, but it isn't meant to be done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, WimpOut said:

Lol Volcanion is the easiest rift mon, are you that dumb to not be able to defeat it that easily? You can even lower it's stats and give it status effects. It's slow af

The game is not even suited for nuzlockes but a lot of smart people her can cheese it easy

how? hypnosis rock slide? it woke up turn 1 and i missed rock slide.

glare? he hit through it.

poison? I don't have reliable poison.

drop it's spatk AND atk? not only does that take multiple pokemon but a single crit immediately make that useless

2 minutes ago, Moto said:

Nuzlockes only exist to "fix" the awful, low difficulty in 99% of pokemon games. Rejuv has actual suitable difficulty, the game does not need to be nuzlocked to be hard. If you want to still try, feel free, but it isn't meant to be done. 

that's fair enough, people see things diferently. to me intense mode is still pretty easy so yeah.

3 minutes ago, MrStormy said:

that's fair enough, people see things diferently. to me intense mode is still pretty easy so yeah.

Wow iNtEnSe pretty easy but complains about rift shields even tho the games are not specifically catered to be nuzlocked. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WimpOut said:

Wow iNtEnSe pretty easy but complains about rift shields even tho the games are not specifically catered to be nuzlocked. 

yes. you can beat Venam and Keta with 1 mon each (ofc that is luck dependent) and you can beat rift galvantula and rift gyarados super easily.

only 2 fights I find dumb are the shadow mewtwo and the rift volcanion. both are doable but fucking annoying as shit

13 hours ago, MrStormy said:

if your game isn't balanced enough to be nuzlocked then it's badly balanced.

I disagree.

Much the same as Reborn which people will even ill advise Nuzlocking because it was designed to be the most difficult Pokemon game, I doubt that Rejuvenation's circumstances were designed with an interest in Nuzlocke accommodation. 

From what I've gathered Nuzlocking is designed to create a challenge in games that otherwise don't have one and Rejuvenation provides that challenge without requiring the limitations. 

Therefor to Nuzlocke a game that had no intention of supporting the limitations is to be responsible for your own difficulties. 

Even when not Nuzlocking you can still make the game more difficult for yourself than it needs to be without proper preparation and strategy you're just making it more difficult for yourself. I should know, I can admit with dignity that I've been guilty of this. 

Although I continued into V13 with a V12 file so did not fight the raid version of Rift Volcanion, I can tell you from experience in the new chapter that raid mons can be statused including Sleep and Burn. 

Spoiler

Damien burned Storm-9, I put Reshiram to sleep and poisoned the second Puppet Master. 

I also paralyzed the mechanical gyarados in the 3rd Layer but it never haxed so to be honest I'm a bit wary of paralysis on rift mons because it is possible that they can't para-hax or their para-hax rate is a lot lower than usual. 

Furthermore, the poison damaged the Puppet Master's shields (Life Orb damage does as well as observed in the Clear battle), the burn on Storm-9 did not but I did that battle in 0.2 so that could have been a change made in 0.3 or .04. 

Nonetheless I do find the shields a bit irritating as a waste of PP and healing items, as do I in SWSH in which it's even more stupid with the turn/faint limit but considering that Revival Herbs were removed from the Herb shop, that's part of the intended challenge buff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrStormy said:

how? hypnosis rock slide? it woke up turn 1 and i missed rock slide.

glare? he hit through it.

poison? I don't have reliable poison.

drop it's spatk AND atk? not only does that take multiple pokemon but a single crit immediately make that useless

I do agree that it's annoying that rift pokemon render paralysis useless (aside from the speed drop). Everything else is classic RNG stuff, and is not worth complaining about imo. Good luck with your nuzlocke.

Shields are a good mechanic, but they still need to be tweaked and checked. Fixing multi-hit moves, making that poison actually damage shields (stall should be a viable strategy), as well as i would argue letting damage continue into the next shield.

1 hour ago, Lucifer Morningstar said:

From what I've gathered Nuzlocking is designed to create a challenge in games that otherwise don't have one and Rejuvenation provides that challenge without requiring the limitations.

I actually absolutely disagree, the easier the game the less interested in nuzlocking it I am. it's why people nuzlocke games like emerald kaizo which although optimized specifically for nuzlockes, are made in such a way that it's as hard as possible while still being doable.

The way they optimize the game for nuzlocking is simply by making every fight consistently hard instead of super easy fights and super hard fights

I think raid bosses are fine though field effects probably hyper tune them to be absurd. Giratina was actually just insane to do the first time i fought him and status wasn’t doing much. That said, I’m noting a huge design flaw in the game where defense is just so bad in compared to offense. Your opponents do so much damage that resisted hits still put you in 2-hit KO range on bulky Pokémon or it’s a double battle which makes defense inherently harder to pull off because the nature of damage is STILL just as high.

I think shields are okay, they’re not too bad otherwise

i thought the shields at the beginning were okay, 2 shields on a mon that was stacked felt fair especially since the stacked rift mons had some lower stat that you could exploit.

late game though that is complete bullshit. the rift mons in chapters 13/14 did not deserve to have 4 full shields whilst being completely stacked. i dont know why they thought it would be fair to add more shields on later rift mons when they already made the later ones completely OP. you literally have to come up with wild cheese strategies to beat those in the end. 

8 hours ago, MrStormy said:

I actually absolutely disagree, the easier the game the less interested in nuzlocking it I am.

To each their own and I maintain that this puts the responsibility for the difficulty on you. 

31 minutes ago, pitxhblank said:

i thought the shields at the beginning were okay, 2 shields on a mon that was stacked felt fair especially since the stacked rift mons had some lower stat that you could exploit.

late game though that is complete bullshit. the rift mons in chapters 13/14 did not deserve to have 4 full shields whilst being completely stacked. i dont know why they thought it would be fair to add more shields on later rift mons when they already made the later ones completely OP. you literally have to come up with wild cheese strategies to beat those in the end. 

Spoiler

I am unfamiliar with the early game raid rifts but I'll admit that the first round with the Puppet Master; 4 shields and a double targeting, double hitting Dream Eater that doesn't even require sleep so that regardless of the damage done he can return to almost full health if not full health in a single turn is quite a bit of bullshit. 

The mechanical Gyradose in the 3rd layer also hit twice with every move. 

I admit that I find it quite unnecessary for rift Pokemon to hit more than once in a single turn when they are already absurdly strong. 

I'd also like to call bullshit on the disallowance of item usage in the MC battle even though that's not a rift battle. I don't understand the significance of that and it's borderline unfair if your MC is Aero, the strongest trainer in the class with 2 freaking dragons! Though granted no items is a bit too hardcore for me, I'm not into that. 

Reborn and Rejuvenation are NOT meant for Nuzlock and no, the game balance isn't bad because of it, Nuzlock was created to give the player some challenge when playing the main line of Pokemon games since they are way too easy, that's the origin of the challenge, Reborn and Rejuvenation was created with the intent of being a challenging, and sometimes out-right difficult, Pokemon game so Nuzlocking it wouldn't be needed since the challenge is already there, if you feel like doing it anyway, be free, I ain't stopping you, no one will, but don't get pissy saying the game balancement is bad because you're doing a difficult challenge on a game that is already difficult..

If you wanna do Nuzlock I suggest lowering the difficulty to Casual Mode since in Normal and Intense mode there will be fights WAAAY harder than R-Volcanion, specially late in the game since even regular trainers might KO one or two of your Pokemon.. So stop now while you can, if you're having problems on R-Volcanion then you ain't going far..

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MhicKy said:

Reborn and Rejuvenation are NOT meant for Nuzlock and no, the game balance isn't bad because of it, Nuzlock was created to give the player some challenge when playing the main line of Pokemon games since they are way too easy, that's the origin of the challenge, Reborn and Rejuvenation was created with the intent of being a challenging, and sometimes out-right difficult, Pokemon game so Nuzlocking it wouldn't be needed since the challenge is already there, if you feel like doing it anyway, be free, I ain't stopping you, no one will, but don't get pissy saying the game balancement is bad because you're doing a difficult challenge on a game that is already difficult..

fair enough. Let me make my point clearer, I think the game is unbalanced with or without nuzlocke rules.

The entire game, every single fight, is brainless overpowering an opponent whose strategy is just "am stronk, me hit hard, me have much health". There are no fights that use a specific team style, no stall teams, no trickroom teams, the best it gets is having a team that has advantage on a broken ass field but it never goes beyond that.

I said the game balance was bad because I genuinely think that, seperately from the nuzlocking experience, I was just frustrated from getting my ass RNG'd by volcanion so I ended up shifting my point to shitting on the game itself rather than my original point.

• Hmm 1