Pokemon Fan Game Recommendations [Community WIP]

Fumble

@Damien I would recommend Desolation, since it's fairly close to Reborn or Rejuvenation. It does a few things better (more compelling world design IMO) and worse (inconsistent difficulty curve), but it's more than earned the right to stand among the other two mentioned fangames.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

First of all. I'm finished with pokemon reborn E17 and I've already played Rejuvenation Insurgence and Mega Adventure. If you remember my other posts, ya already know what i'm asking, also I tried Pokemon Uranium but my computer can't load it that well. Suggestions? If none then I will first watch all of Clannad then finally play Cave Story, maybe a little Danganronpa while I'm at it.

LotA: I want to know if it has a good story like Reborn or Rejuvenation or something decent first. I don't wanna waste my time with boring characters.

Desolation: I know it's VERY sad but I can't beat the 1st leader so I gave.

Edited by Damien

2 minutes ago, DreamblitzX said:

Desolation has apparently gotten easier over time with updates so if you tried it a while ago maybe another round would be good? probably wait for V5 though as that should be close

I'll give it some thought, for now I am just gonna watch Anime and take a break from Pokemon.

@Damien

LotA: It's a very unique fangame, in that it's largely focused entirely on the writing compared to most other Pokemon fangames out there. It doesn't try to be dark, it's a mostly light-hearted adventure with incredibly strong writing and world-building. Although the latest episode veers into somewhat dark territory, the overall writing is so strong that towards late game, the game doesn't need to waste your time telling you that shit has hit the fan - it just needs to SHOW you. I'd provide examples, but the game's story has built up into something so good that I really shouldn't - and I honestly rank LotA to be on the same level as Reborn/Rejuvenation/Desolation because of it, despite lacking the focus on battling that the field effect trinity has.

It's also using Gen IV mechanics and below, and is the only fangame I know of so far that has actually buffed HMs to be viable competitively rather than to replace them outright.

Really, it's worth playing purely for the writing and the rather unique things the creator has managed to pull off with the overworld at times (LotA's Route 15 is the most impressive thing I've ever seen in a Pokemon fangame from a technical standpoint). There's no other fangame quite like it (except maybe Postscriptum).

Desolation: I consider it to be part of the holy trinity of Field Effect fangames, to the point where it should have gotten its own forum section just like Rejuvenation did long ago. That said, the first gym leader really is rather imbalanced (although the same could probably be said of any game that has the first gym leader be of the Fire type, since most Fire-type strategies come swinging with nukes right off the bat).

• 3 weeks later...

The problem I have with a lot of fan games is them just being to easy to keep my interest. Reborn Hardcore was the perfect mix of difficulty and story imo, as it wasn't so hard that it hampered regular progression and let me enjoy Reborns story. What other fangames have a similar difficulty, and not absolute shit stories? (I definitely value battle difficulty over puzzle/story challenges but appreciate both)

Games I have completed/put time into - Reborn, Rejuv, Insurgence, Desolation, and Apex ( I have tried a whole slew of other games that just felt to easy or the story had me lose interest)

Are their "hardcore" versions of other fan games that give a better experience similar to Reborn? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As Stated above my man, I recommend playing legend of the arena or Uranium(try to see if u can download uranium on pc again). You won't go wrong with LoftA in my opinion it's story/Plot rivials if not surpasses reborn and it's difficulity isn't to shabby either. Uranium was my first fan-game so, it's has a special place in my heart but, both it's challenges and plot are something you can really get into.

As Stated above my man, I recommend playing legend of the arena or Uranium(try to see if u can download uranium on pc again). You won't go wrong with LoftA in my opinion it's story/Plot rivials if not surpasses reborn and it's difficulity isn't to shabby either. Uranium was my first fan-game so, it's has a special place in my heart but, both it's challenges and plot are something you can really get into.

I played Uranium, I am not a huge fan of fakemon and it wasn't that difficult. I am thinking about giving LoftA a shot, I have started it before but never went back to it after about an hour of gameplay. I have heard it is not difficult, which turned me off of it before trying but i might check it again. 

• 3 months later...

Hi can you guys give me a new pokemon fangame to play? here's my experiance and opinion about the ones I played:   

Reborn: Loved it, favorite Pokemon game of all time.  

Desolation: also loved it, second favorite fangame after reborn.  

Super Eevee pokemon edition: Really liked it as I enjoy old JRPGs. am down with something similarly unique.  

Rejuvenation: Actually disliked it, But Melia is the main reason why.(the Devs clearly worked really hard on the game and I love lots of parts of it, the story and melia just drag the whole thing down to me)  

Zeta: thought it was ok.  

Am fine with a game not finished but I'd rather it have more 20 hours of playtime or so.

Thx in advance

5 minutes ago, HAWmaro said:

Reborn: Loved it, favorite Pokemon game of all time.  

Desolation: also loved it, second favorite fangame after reborn.  

You and I will be good friends.

I can suggest you

Pokemon Academy Life , Pokemon Zero , Pokemon Green Remix , Pokemon Full Moon ( similar to reborn/rejuv ) , and finally the new epic one : Pokemon Rising Phoenix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 3:47 PM, HAWmaro said:

Thx a lot,

Phoenix Rising is already on my radar but am waiting for it to get a few more chapters before I play it. Didn't know about Full Moon though will check it out 🙂

you should search it in google or facebook for the newer version of pokemon full moon because they didnt upload here in a long time...

Any Fangames to recommend? I’d prefer games in a new region, that are long or longer than Pokémon Insurgence, Rejuvenation or Reborn. I don’t really like fakemon so I wouldn’t add any games with those. However Delta Pokémon are fine with me. It would be nice if the games were at least rather far into development. It would be nice to have Pokémon up to a time least X and Y.

Edited by GriffinO1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 12:49 AM, Qrowatsu said:

Im trying to find some good pokemon fan games. Good ones too. So if anyone would give me suggestions please 😄

Some of the ones i played and i think that no one named them are:

Pokemon Axis, Pokemon Empyrean, Pokemon Floral Tempus, Pokemon Fullmoon, Pokemon Sanquine, Pokemon Sardonyx and Pokemon Postscriptum.

this are the ones i really like just not paying attention to desolation,reborn, rejuvenation, insurgence and omicron.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for new Pokemon fan games. Alternatively, do you guy's know of any upcoming Pokemon fan-games/rom hacks that are highly anticipated?

With Pokemon Phoenix Rising having been released, it doesn't look like there is much to look forward to these days.... 

You can always check on Relic Castle and Pokecommunity for new fangames.

They both have some pretty varied libraries to catalog through.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1