[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

-The Switch Room Hallway, The Ruins

ztewVCS.gif

The child says, gesturing to the stuffed cloth dummy.

-ASGORE's Home, New Home

VNNlQYo.gif

frJ6cp3.gif

For Jun

Spoiler

[Who is Asgore?]

[What do you mean by Tour?]

[Why are you raiding the King's Fridge?]

[Who are you?]

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucine shot Nader the classic "I told you so" look that seemed to be common to all girls over the age of five or so before returning her attention to the "monster" ahead of them. "We didn't even know there was a fridge here." Her stomach growled. "Maybe that's a good idea, though. . . But, um, we're kinda new around here, this is the first thing we really saw other than some dusty rooms." 

Proditor

For the most part, Proditor stayed to the back of the group, silently observing the story being told and the house. There wasn't much to comment on, as the story had made itself clear... Or, as clear as it wanted to be. There was more to it, clearly, but that didn't matter.  What mattered now was the first true denizen of this mountain, a small, fuzzy that was busy taking what it could out of a refrigerator.  An odd first encounter here, aside from the child, but not unwelcome, especially when it didn't seem at all hostile to them, merely greeting them. However, a single word from the monster's question caused Proditor to move forward to put himself in sight, as it seemed important to interject, unfortunately just as Lucine was beginning some small talk.

Specifically, the name of "Asgore".

"Who is Asgore, and would you know where he is?" Proditor asked once he floated forward, directing his focus entirely to the small monster.

>[Who Are You?]
After a bit of time to ponder her options and waiting to see how the 'monster' reacted to Lucine's presence, she slowly walked up to the little creature, coming out of the shadows of the room to reveal her presence, and using a friendly tone of voice when she asked, "And what's your name? You don't have to reply if you don't want to, but it feels a bit awkward to pop out of nowhere and ask you questions like that when we don't even know each other, my name is Jun by the way, we're all kind of sight seeing right now."

The best way to describe Nader's response to the friendly little monster was "awkwardly brimming with paranoia". The creature being evidently harmless and cordial wasn't enough to make him drop everything and trust it, that much was for sure, but he also wasn't going to be blazing away at it unless it DID drop the facade and reveal its participation in the plot to kill humans on sight. But... well... it wasn't, right now. Nader didn't think that any verbal contribution he could provide would be presently helpful, so all he did was rather uncomfortably shift around and continue to compulsively check on his guns. Just in case he needed them. Which he probably would, always.

B29W01B.gif

306X2dX.gif

(6, 3)  The monster child looks confused at Proditor's question, dangerously confused, in fact.

9JwAbIw.gif

SQg5a7u.gif

Luckily for Proditor, however, the child fails to more deeply contemplate his incredibly suspicious question.

rSv79qK.gif

For Jun

Hide contents

[Where does he keep the chocolate?]

[What do you mean by Tour?]

[Why are you raiding the King's Fridge?]

[Why isn't the King here?]

Proditor

"Interesting, I suppose I have" Proditor replied, resisting the urge to point out that, at the moment, they were under a 'rock'. Regardless, without budging an inch from where he floated, the alien continued, "I will repeat my earlier question. Where is Asgore now?" he asked again. He felt that it would be important to talk to this king, both for information on this mountain, and to potentially clear up any hostilities. There wasn't anything to convince that these monsters were fully hostile nor fully friendly to humans. Foxface might simply be an exception.

Looking down at the strange creature, Nader finally realized that it was probably a child. Accordingly, he spoke up. "We... won't want to stick around this one room too much. We've never been out this far before, but we've never actually seen those holograms before. Of course, we know the story behind them already, but... it's another thing entirely to see them for real. To really understand why it's so sad, you need to be here and hear these things for yourself, I think. But, I don't know, maybe that sort of thing doesn't interest you so much. When I was your age, I didn't really care about a whole bunch besides playing tricks on people, but now that I'm an adult I think it's important that we understand these sorts of things. We need to really get the emotion behind why do what we do, you know. But, yes, because of that we should keep moving soon. We haven't seen it all yet." 

Lucine made a face. "Snails?" A chocolate bar was starting to sound really good, but it sounded like that was less than a likely prospect at this point. She looked back at Nader quizzically. They certainly had not known the whole story before, and on top of that he'd been the one insisting it was a trap or justification for hunting humans the whole way. Of course, now the man seemed to be rambling, so Lucine's frown eventually turned its way back to Foxface. "But yeah, um, I'm Lucine Nadine. We were trying to find a. . . well, actually, I couldn't really tell if they were a boy or a girl, but there's a kid that fell down here, have you seen them?"

"Practice acting...  On a doll?  If you really think it will help..."  

Rachel squares off with the doll and gives it a quick once-over.  The thing has clearly seen better days, as it wobbles on its stand, and it can't possibly have a machine-spirit, but...  It's just as easy to see that the thing has faithfully served its thankless purpose for years, at least, and could continue to do so for some time yet.

"STRAIGHTEN UP, CONSTRUCT!"  She orders the dummy in her best 'actually competent commissar' voice, "Now is not your time to falter!  Are you ready for the rag pile yet?  NO!  You have many years of faithful service behind you already, and God-Emperor willing, many ahead.  SO STRAIGHTEN UP AND FACE ME WITH THE PRIDE YOUR SERVICE MERITS!"

Arminius nods at the child's statement. At least she was being encouraging? ... No, that wasn't really better. But seeing as at least Rachel humored the request, Arminius chose to just set the dummy back up before going to move on.

>What do you mean by Tour?
Jun mimed looking around the place a bit with her helmet, taking in a better look at the surrounding kitchen before she said, "Huh, well it's a pleasure to meet you Foxface, you know I've heard about the tours before, but I never really believed it before, is this really fine? Just walking around inside of the king's home and taking his food like this? Isn't he worried about what might happen if he's not around?."

• 4 weeks later...

-New Home

"I have no clue where ASGORE is right now...  Every day, he goes out and tries to visit everyone in the UNDERGROUND," Foxface says to Proditor.

The kid just looks confused at a bit glassyeyed at Nader's speech.  Typical kids, in one ear and out the other...

"Fell Down?  Monsters can't Fall Down that young, can they?" Foxfire says, shocked at Lucile's words.

"I dunno.  Nobody really goes on the tour, other than King ASGORE himself.  And he goes on it every day!  I guess he has to make sure it's working or something."  Foxface says in response to Jun's question, unsure of his own answer.

Lucine tilted her head in confusion. "Huh? Kids fall down all the time," the girl said, evidently missing the emphasis placed on the words. "And I don't think that was a monster. . . Um, anyway, she was chasing a dog around or something, maybe you saw one of those?" she asked hopefully. 

Nader grinned behind his mask at the kid's glassy-eyed expression: Bingo. He'd pulled off the act of the middle aged man with strong values he felt it was important to impart on the young'uns perfectly (of course, ignoring the fact that he was getting close to middle age himself and did in fact have some pretty strongly-felt values). But he heard Lucine saying the words "I don't think that was a monster" -- and, immediately, Nader acted to prevent the young monster from cottoning onto human presence, clearing his throat and talking loudly and authoritatively enough to hopefully jar the monster child out of thinking too hard about what Lucine had just said. "Alright, all, we should probably get moving. We only have so much time, and we want to see the rest of this place, you know."

By the time Lucine had finished speaking and Nader had turned to mention it was time to move on Ignia was already halfway out the door stepping into the street and taking in who and what was around.

Sh-They needed to find the king, judging by the child's indication he'd be the only one who actually knew what was going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Proditor

"Very well" Proditor responded, floating away from the child. They weren't going to be much help, and they weren't hostile either. Additionally, like Nader said, they needed to get a move on. They've wasted enough time as it was. So he followed Ignia out of the house, already beginning to expand his mind in order to detect anything else in the vicinity aside from the earlier child.

• 2 weeks later...

"No sense waiting around.  The ruinous powers are very much in favor of idle hands," Sister Rachel heads for the exit, "And mayhaps you should be more clear with how you would like me to adjust my conduct.  'Practice acting' is very general, and I don't think what I considered my best acting was exactly what you were looking for.  Miscommunication among the good is the triumph of the heretic, after all, and truth among the God-Emperor's greatest allies."

"We're not quite done here -- I'm going to take a look at that room over there, and then I'll be back. Best not to leave things halfway done, after all." He'd have said "best not to leave any stone unturned", having learned to be thorough in his days of espionage, but he WAS mindful of the monster child's presence, after all... 

and the king probably had listening devices around every corner to keep his subjects in line and to be able to know when to disappear them at just the right moment to make sure his grip never went unchallenged, a rule of absolute domination that he probably thought would be eternal, unchallengeable, for all those tried would face the consequences, consequences never outright seen but enough to make those who might want to look beyond the surface pause and decide not to, after all, that was what kings did, after all 

"Try not to get lost out there without me, and don't say anything strange, please, you all." Not when the walls potentially had ears, though he understood that adjusting their speech for this world was a difficult balancing act.

With those warnings given, he entered Asgore's room.

-New Home

Foxface puts a finger to their chin.  "The only dogs I know about live in Snowdin.  Maybe you could check there?  It's really far away, though, all the way on the other side of the Underground!"

As Nader walks into King ASGORE's room, he notices a diary laying open on the desk.

Other things worth noting include a trophy in the corner of the room with a plaque reading "Number 1 Nose-Nuzzle Champions '98!", a king-sized bed, a closet, and three picture frams on the wall.  Two of them are empty, while the final one contains a simple flower, made of macaroni-art.

Rooting through the closet, Nader finds a Santa Claus outfit, and in the clothing drawer, a giant pink sweater that has the words "Mr. Dad Guy" embroidered on it.

The diary strikes Nader as the oddest feature of the room.  The current entry reads, "Nice day today!", and nothing else.  The ink is still wet.  When he flips through the other entries, it's simply variations of the same thing.  Why bother keeping a journal like that?

The final set of illusions emerge, one after another.  All of the monsters shown thus far reading out their magical messages to everyone as they go to their various destinations.

"The king decided it was time to end our suffering."

"Every human who falls down here must die."

"With enough souls, we can shatter the barrier forever. It's not long now."

"King ASGORE will let us go. King ASGORE will give us hope. King ASGORE will save us all," three monsters say in unison.

"You should be smiling, too."

"Aren't you excited?"

"Aren't you happy?"  Three of them ask curiously.

The final message comes from a tiny frog, almost anticlimactic in tone, but happy, as well.  "You're going to be free."

-

-The Garbage Dump, Waterfall.

"Of course!  We'll take you right to her! ;)" they wink, floating out of the room with their friend Woshua.

-

-The Ruins

The group enters a room with two parts, and a sign between them.  "The first room is the second room's blueprint."

The sign seems important, considering that the second room is filled with metal spikes, and surrounded by a deep moat.

Strangely, the spikes are so tall that it wouldn't be possible for someone to step on them by mistake.

The child waits patiently for the group to try the puzzle themselves.

"Oh, okay. Well, thanks, Foxface! I should follow him so he doesn't get in trouble." Lucine gestured at the direction Nader had departed, waved a goodbye to the odd little fox creature with a smile, then trotted off after him. It may have been hard to follow him with how she loitered. . . but Nader didn't exactly move about quietly. Of course, she was interrupted again by the ominous message, which was fairly effective at squashing her cheer and returning her to her state of anxiousness. I'm safe, but what barrier? Why do they need to. . .? Her train of thought was interrupted as she thumped into Nader's back with a small squeak.

• 3 weeks later...

Proditor

... Nothing besides the illusions and the child. Acceptable, for now at least. Though, what wasn't entirely acceptable was the finally of the story the illusions were telling them... On how every human that entered this mountain were to be killed in order to free those trapped within. He couldn't say that he agreed with it, senseless death was never a viable option, but he couldn't disagree with it, since it sounded like Asgore was doing it to end his people's suffering. A noble cause, if misguided. It explained the room with the coffins, however. Previous humans killed in this mountain, preserved in order to keep their souls intact for when the Barrier was ready to be breached.

At the very least, they had the advantage of some of them being largely inhuman, him specifically, and if the child was anything to go by, the inhabitants here didn't actually know what a human looked like... Oddly enough, "Shall we wait for Nader and Lucine to finish their investigation?" Proditor suddenly asked, taking a break from his story processing in order to speak his question to the rest of the group.