[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arminius looks to Rachel with a smirk, starts to open his mouth, and then shakes his head and turns to face Toriel.  "Her world is uh... weird. Let's hurry along before anyone else we know gets their shit kicked in.

Ignia nodded slowly at Rachel, not quite understanding everything she meant, but following it well enough.
She raised up her hand and created a few small motes of green and gold light and drifted down over herself, wiping away the smaller cuts or bruises and slowly the bleeding of larger wounds.

"Asgore would be the one try to ascend through ritualistic murder."

"I mean I have heard this Asgore's tale before, hundreds of times over," Sister Rachel sighs, the bombast falling away from her as her shoulders slump, "From the greatest of sorcerers to the least, there comes a time when their ambitions overreach their means.  They are confronted with a problem that demands more warpcraft than they can muster, and they must make a choice.  To accept their limitations, to seek help from others or simply leave alone.  Or to give in to the whispers within the warp, and sacrifice their kinsmen, their humanity, and their very soul to power through.  'And so'," Her voice grows quieter, taking on the cadence of someone quoting from well-trodden memory, "'Magnus looked at what had become of his body, and his works.  He looked at the fruits of his endless lust for secrets and power.  And in the moment before his mind and soul shattered, he wept, for he had become the very thing he had sworn to defend humanity against.  The very thing he had sworn to destroy.  Yet he could not, for he had let the Ruinous Powers into his soul, and they would not relinquish their prize.'  By the time a sorcerer, as Ignia put it, escalates to empowering themselves through ritualistic murder..."  Rachel moves over to the keyblade wielder and starts bandaging and stitching her larger wounds almost on auto-pilot, so practiced at treating flesh wounds that she barely even needs to think about it.  Anesthetics are *not* used; Astartes-grade disinfectant is.  "The Emperor's Mercy is the kindest thing we can do for him at this point, and administering it before he can complete his ritual the surest way to keep the abhumans of this place safe from his lust for power beyond his ability to control it."

-Snowdin Road

"Ahh.   I see,"  Toriel says, frowning deeply.

Walking forward, the group encounters Sans yet again, who stops them.

bfx1yDr.png

In front of the group, there is a large patch of ice, and another branch in the path leading north.  In the middle of the ice, a sign pokes out of the ground.

The child walks over, sliding on the supernaturally slippery ice, and reads the sign aloud.

uzz5G1p.png

At the end of the northern path, a snowman can be just barely seen.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:12 AM, Chevaleresse said:

Lucine squeaked in startlement as she was unceremoniously lifted and carried off in a less-than-comfortable carry. "H-hey, we can't just leave her behind!" She flailed uselessly a bit; this loosened her grip enough that Opal was able to free herself, clicking back together and following along through the air.

"Of course we can. What did you think you were going to do?"

"I was gonna help fight! Or convince her to stop, or something. I don't know, but I was going to be more useful than you."

"You're only useful with me around. Doesn't that make you the useless one?" 

". . . Why are you so mean?" Lucine seemed legitimately upset. It wasn't clear whether Opal was actually regretting her words, or had simply gotten the reaction she wanted, but the device fell silent once more.

Jun kept mostly silent on the way out, the strain of attempting high speed parkour while carrying a not entirely helpful child not exactly doing wonders for her ability to snark at people when prompted. It was only when she found herself unable to recognize her surroundings much, that she felt that it was safe enough to lower the child gently, and explain her reasoning. "Look, expecting someone who literally said that the only option for forgiveness is us dying at spear point to fuel their experiments to not try to kill us is probably not a great idea, and I'm not exactly keen on letting a kid fight them either..."

Lucine glanced between Jun and the point in the distance where the ominous clanking came from. She wasn't even sure if Ignia got away, though the fact that the guard was coming after them seemed to indicate that she had either done so, or the worst had happened. "W-well, I'm not going to leave without trying again. I think I can talk to her, but you can't be around." Her voice shook with nervousness. "I'm going back. I w-want to help and I think I can figure something out." She nodded once, more to reassure herself than anything else, then took a deep breath and headed back towards Undyne.

-Waterfall

Lucine manages to escape Jun's grasp, running back towards Hotland.

She encounters Undyne, who narrows their eyes down at her.

4pk7xhx.png

She throws a spear, embedding it in the ground in front of Lucine.  The air begins to darken as she summons a new glowing spear into her hands.

-Snowdin

As the group approach, the snowman begins to speak.

"Hello.  I am a snowman."

"I want to see the world, but cannot move..."

"Please, traveler, if you would be so kind, take a piece of me, and take it far away."

The girl instinctively recoiled from the thrown spear with an involuntary squeak. "U-um, we don't need to fight! I think we, uhh, can work something out." She took a slight step back, hands twitching towards Opal but not quite grabbing her yet. "A-And you don't want to fight me anyway, because, umm, w-well. . ." She took a deep breath, trying to conquer the various sources of fear and anxiety swirling about in her mind. "I'm not human."

Lucine glanced nervously between the direction she came from and the spear in front of her. "I, um. . ." She forced her dull red gaze up back towards Undyne. "I'm not l-lying. I wish I was." Her hand crept through the air towards the spear in front of her, though she still stopped short of actually grabbing it. "I-I really don't want to fight, but I'll do it if I have to. I'm sorry for sneaking around and scaring that person, but I don't want my friends to get hurt."

Walking through the hallway, his head turning left and right to take in the screens mounted on the walls... Nader, of course, had his answers for all of it, and had them almost immediately. His voice was smug, triumphant, except that it wavered with clear confusion at several points before Nader seemed to push himself back into that triumphant state of mind. "Proof, you see? Do you not see? The writing is clear on the wall. It was-- the work came from-- it was a grudge against humans, after all. So, KARMA.. a punishment, of course. They came up with a punishment that they intended to use on humankind to settle for it-- and-- the ascension-- they would use the KARMA to punish humanity but could only do so if they ascended, so that was the plan. It... may have been accidental... initially... but... that's because they were jumping across timelines in order to see it coming to do it." There was a long pause from Nader, now, as even he seemed to either be having a fair amount of difficulty processing some of what he'd apparently seen or to be experiencing some doubt about what he had said. "The child and the other brother... that... it should make sense. It will all work into everything in the end. Just you see. We'll figure it out."

Nader picked up his pace, stomping into the Eastern room with an energy that was some mixture of manic and nervous.

Lucine took another deep breath. She was a little calmer now, but unfortunately hadn't planned this out nearly as well as she could. "I'm, um. . ." She sighed. "It probably sounds super crazy, but none of us are from this world at all. We're here to help get ready for these -" she carefully avoided the term "monster" given her current conversational partner and the terms they used "- things, that go around eating worlds and stuff. I promise I'm not making this up. So we're trying to make things better for everyone. I know some stuff about making magic devices, and the Cards I use are sort of like copies of human souls, so I think I could maybe help with the barrier thing. Nobody has to get hurt over it."

-Waterfall

Undyne's baleful glare stretches out for a very long time, until she reaches her conclusion.  Too wary of being tricked, and too confused to make sense of the situation, Undyne speaks.

j0SPOWa.png

(1, 9) She walks past Lucine, deeper into Waterfall.

iHQzupz.png

-True Lab

Nader and Prodditor enter a room filled with bright yellow flowers, UV Lamps, and mirrors.  The flowers seem unfamiliar, but mundane.  A door rests at the end of the hall, which leads into a room with a key-slot and a hastily scrawled note on the ground.

Two monitors light up with their respective entries.

Spoiler

ENTRY NUMBER 7

We'll need a vessel to wield the monster SOULs when the time comes.

After all, a monster cannot absorb the SOULs of other monsters.

Just as a human cannot absorb a human SOUL...

So then...

What about something that's neither human nor monster?

Spoiler

ENTRY NUMBER 10

experiments on the vessel are a failure.

it doesn't seem to be any different from the control cases.

whatever. they're a hassle to work with anyway.

the seeds just stick to you, and won't let go...

"But I just wanted to. . ." Lucine reached out towards Undyne slightly as if it would somehow stop the guard captain from chasing after Jun and the others, before letting it drop to her side with a defeated expression. "I just wanna help, or. . . something. I don't know." Her voice dropped a bit further. "I don't even know if I want to go home."

"Why would you need to go home? You can always just keep lying to all the people in this group." Opal, seeing that she wasn't needed, had evidently decided to kick Lucine while she was down.

"I didn't lie to Tim. Or Law. Or Vitor."

"Well, I'm sure that's going to help Jun when that monster gets to him."

Lucine started, then looked in the direction Undyne had gone. She shook her head, then started to run back towards the lab. It was a long shot, but maybe. . . ?

Ignia takes a curious look at the snowman.  An odd request sure, but not the strangest thing she'd seen today. 

"It can't hurt can it?  If I knew some ice magic I'd keep it cold, but for now I can carry it until it melts at least."

She took a small clump of snow from the snowman.

Shrugging a little as Lucine starts to walk directly towards danger once more, Jun tries to find a nice and comfortable perch in the area bordering the waterfall and the hotlands to hide in, somewhere she could plausibly hear the sound of distant gunshots if Lucine's negotiations turned out to be a little more...aggressive than intended.

"That sounds like something a thing of chaos would say," Rachel mutters discontentedly, "I wonder how many have been corrupted by such seemingly innocuous lures..."

-Hotland

Lucine dashes forward as fast as she can, before, with an almighty whump, she slams into a hulking giant of a Monster, falling backwards onto the ground.

The monster appears to be humming to itself as it lifts up a large jug of water, plopping it into a water dispenser.

Spoiler

n08JDe9.png

He reaches out his hand, offering it to Lucine.

Uq135JY.png

-Waterfall

Jun doesn't hear any violence as she climbs up onto a rocky mountain, the same one that hangs over the entrance to Hotland.

They hear the loud clanking steps of Undyne, however, as she emerges from the tunnel, facing away from Jun.

She halts, still facing away.

-Snowdin Road

The snowman smiles, insomuch as a snowman can smile, even as Ignia takes a snowball sized chunk out of the snowman.

"Thank you!  Good luck!" they say.

Snowman Piece: Please take this to the ends of the earth.

Level 1: Restores 45 Health if eaten.