Masquerade Mafia Madness(Game over, Ballgoer Victory)

DigitalAmber

• Global Mods

I just want to say that I was "anonymously" contacted last night phase. I'm not sure how that helps, but I was told to reveal that information by the person themselves. Unfortunately, it seems that the "anonymous" person was Drak as I don't see any other roles capable of doing such (although some of these descriptions are very vague, or at least not obvious to me). I'm not sure why Drak would have chosen me if that was the case, although it could have been a random selection or meddling from another role?

I'm not sure, but I think our best bet would probably be to figure out the descriptions of roles given before we do anything else, unless anyone has any leads otherwise. I feel that it would be better to do this as early as we could, as I think the roles are all randomised (considering the list has "guaranteed townies" and one "guaranteed evil", any role unless stated otherwise could belong to any faction.) and getting that situation out of the way could prove beneficial to town. Thoughts?

I won't reveal the contents of the message just in case there is a second messenger role.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Global Mods

I would like to agree with everything you have listed so far, Ben. However, there are a couple of changes I'd like to address.

Spoiler

Messenger. So, the Messenger seems pretty straight forward, and I don't have much to change except for one possible theory. I'm going to debunk the theory as soon as I write it out, but I'd like to suggest it anyway as a possibility. So this role has 2 variations that I have seen: To message a specific role or to message a specific person. Because it's not clear which variation we were dealing with, we can't exactly rule out either option can we? Well, I believe we can. The message I received specifically told me that they would be messaging me until either of us died. This leads me to believe that the messenger does not message specific roles and does, in fact, message specific people. (Although, I'm not ruling out the possibility that it could have been a different role entirely that messaged me like you said.)

Disgruntled person. Again, there's nothing much to change about this one. I want to agree with the possibility of this role being a town drunk, but the only thing I could possibly agree with is that this could be a roleblocker. Because it's not a guaranteed innocent role, it might not necessarily be a town-sided drunk role. Just my small thoughts on this.

Here are some of my thoughts regarding some of the roles:

Spoiler

Knave: I reckon this is some kind of Loudmouth role, given its description.

Reversionist: I'm not too sure about this. The role's name does suggest the possibility of tampering with roles or night actions. Perhaps it changes the effect of a night action to the opposite effect (so, a night kill would result in a heal and a heal would result in a kill?), although I'm not sure if there is actually a role related to this. Maybe it acts like a Town of Salem Transporter, who simply swaps two people around so any actions happening to person A would happen to person B on that night (and vice versa).

Maid: Its description could suggest some kind of Baker role ("confined to the kitchen"), although I don't think that makes that much sense when you think about the role's name. Maids are known to clean things a lot, so another possibility is that the Maid is the Janitor. I would say that it wouldn't be unlikely for Amber to include the Old Maid role in this game, considering he has done so quite a lot previously. But its role description does not suggest this role this time (luckily, that would be super chaotic).

Performer: Some kind of Actress maybe? I can't pin it to anything else, but I'm not sure if there's a town-sided equivalent to this role.

Party Host: EpicMafia seems to suggest this is a...weird role to say the least. If EM's anything to go by, this role just throws a party once per game and invites all alive players at that point to share a chat or something. However, night actions can still occur as normal despite having this "party". Although, in this game I wouldn't be too sure of its intentions. EM states it's a town-sided role but who knows?

Distractor: I believe this is a roleblocker. However, the name suggests that maybe once per game, they can distract the target so that they visit the distractor instead of their intended target? I think it's more likely to be a roleblocker, because the second option seems a bit OP imo? I'm not sure.

Coversationalist: I'd like to think a Watcher or Tracker kind of role would be the most appropriate... however, I want to think it has a Penguin-style role. Penguin can visit a person and give them information about something that occurred during that same night phase, and I feel that this would probably fit the Conversationalist. A quick google search also suggests that this role could be the Town Gossip or the Gossiper (I matched these to its description).

I'm not too sure about other role possibilities. If anyone has anything else to add then feel free to do so. I'm stumped on what other roles could be.

hey look spoiler tags am i cool now

I'd like to add something to this. Last night, I was restrained. The wording implies that this couldn't have been the Distracter, thus I'm assuming I got paid a visit by either the Vagrant or the Disgruntled Patron. No other roles really seem to add up to this description. Maybe the Doorman but I very much doubt that.

Other than that, a theory about the Everyman. The description states the following.

"He is willing to put the extra mile into anything he does. As a result, he can accomplish things no one could have dreamed he would be capable of, being as good as the best at times. But he's not a master of it by any regard."

Maybe the Everyman has multiple "powers", but is able to use them only a select few times in the game. For example, he may be able to roleblock, but only once or twice a game, and he may be able to heal, but once again, only once or twice a game.

Party host makes me think of this role that can once in the game stop all night actions, maybe  at the cost of revealing their identity. I know this role has appeared in other games here and I know there was a similar role in Amber's last game. It's more likely this is just a mayor role.

I don't think the messenger can contact multiple people, my guess is that the conversationalist (gossiper?) or the storyteller (penguin?) contacted one of you.

The maid does sound like the Old Maid role, "She yearns for freedom from the manor though and will seize it the instant it arrises.", I think it's pretty obvious too. Baker role is something we haven't had in any game here so far as far as I'm aware of so I doubt it's that. Nicki if you are the old maid please dont steal my wincon again :cri:

Mis-matcher sounds like this one role that will appear as guilty, but I think breakfast might be right too since the name of the game "Masquerain Mafia Madness" and Amber's history as a host make me think that it's likely that some kind of chaotic role swapper role exists. That kinda explains the helper role and why is it related to the physician.

Ok scratch the part about the mis-matcher potentially being the role that appears as guilty, that's probably the worrywart.... or maybe thats the disgruntled person. The disgruntled person could potentially be some kind of vigilante.
The distracter is definitely a roleblocker and I doubt there would be two of those in one game.

Though if what Bibs says is true the roleblocker might not be the distracter, who knows. I dont really see Amber getting the flavor text wrong.
Doorman is probably that one role that can guess which player has a specific role.

whew that's a lot to read

First off slight towncred given to Ben, Lía, Nicki and Bibs for their contributions, all of them made efforts to try and figure out what the roles do. I'd give it some thought myself but I would need to go back to the roles list first; maybe later. Apologies if I end up having limited involvement during the game, I'll play according to my availability.

I would agree with Lía. Given the multitude of unclear roles that could potentially have the power to contact someone, I think it's possible that someone other than the messenger has this ability. That said the set-up is limited, with only 13 players, so idk how likely it is that more than one player would have the same type of ability.

I'd like to be able to get something out of Bean's random vote but it's just Bean being Bean so 🤷‍♂️

Well the Party Host's ability could skip a night phase and get us directly into the day phase, only once per game for sure. I don't think that it could have the ability of invite all the alive players. Well for sure the party host can be useful for us if used at the right time. 

I'm still not sure about what to say about the distracter because it seems a roleblocker, true but at the same time what Bibs said makes me doubt that it's a roleblocked. 

Anyway i don't really understand the Footman's ability, i'm trying to think which kind of ability it could have but i have no clue atm.

@L'Belle According to @DigitalAmber, restraining is "more or less roleblocking". This means not only that we have a roleblocker other than the Distracter (if the Distracter is even a roleblocker to begin with), but also a potential evil-aligned one, as the Vagrant and Disgruntled Patron are really the only ones that come to mind when thinking of "restraining", and the Vagrant is a confirmed guilty role.

• Veterans

not all of the roles are necessarily in the game, though- we've got 23 roles for 13 players.

i'd be willing to bet that some of them are duplicates, or perhaps very similar to each other. for those roles, it'd probably be safe to assume that there's only actually one of them in the game

I'll be working tomorrow and may not come back to the forum until the day phase ends, so I'm putting a placeholder vote here:

[Eliminate] Jace

To be clear I don't have much going against you atm, I just find that your vote for Bean might be an attempt at starting a bw against an easy prey.

Yikes i totally forgot i signed in for a game

OMG the Quote Function works again UwU

11 hours ago, Psychic Sheep said:

the first is town

so the last is mafia

[ELIMINATE] CRIMSONDRAGON

That's a good approach. I like the idea, but unfortunately i am innocent.

I haven't played so much Mafia and i don't really know a lot of roles.

But there are possibly other roles who can roleblock people while having no ill intentions.

As i was looking through the Roles in Epic Mafia and trying to compare those with the Roles here. With that there is also a possible outcome, that the Helper might be the Nurse (also cause she is alligned with the Physician).
She can choose one person to save every night with the drawback that the protected person gets roleblocked.

I mostly aggree with most of the roles that you guys put up together. Welp mostly cause i don't know much roles other then the basic ones

Well i think i also have to make a vote:
[Eliminate] Alistair

Reason: Look at his Role

I mean it was a random vote. Thought it would be funny to state something like this instead of saying RNGJesus has spoken.

But seems like thats not the case.

I don't have evidence to really start pointing fingers right now.

Additionally I could have just voted Bean, cause he voted me, or Seal, Jace, L'Belle or myself, cause we haven't contributed much till now, but i didn't want it to end in a bandwagon. So i went for a randomvote first, before the dayphase ends and i didn't made a vote.

Rather than commenting on someones choice, wouldn't it be better to give us your votes on a D1 without much information?

@andracass @Alistair @CrimsonDragon21 @Walpurgis @Kabs @LykosHand @Captain Breakfast @purplecicada

i have a confession to make. last night i was the worrywart.

their ability is to change roles with someone else. they are 3rd party

i did this to bean.he now is the worrywart.

so lets do this thing

• Global Mods

I would feel more comfortable voting for someone once I know what their wincon is. However, because Jace has clarified that the Worrywart is a third party role, I have my own theory. In Amber's previous games, I unfortunately got the Old Maid role in both games that I can remember it being featured and me playing in. That role had no wincon except to steal other people's roles and win as that role/alignment. If the Worrywart is like that here, then it probably has no wincon. One good thing out of keeping such a role alive is that we'd have another way of clarifying someone's alignment. Although that good thing also has its own drawbacks, such as people potentially lying about the role they have stolen.

I'd prefer an elaboration, as Bibs suggested before, as it may be entirely different with this role. I'd probably decide what to do based on what the role's wincon is.

Writing this up whilst playing a trial in DR V3 is really menacing lmao.