The Weatherlight

DragonRage

"If I knew what it was, I wouldn't be doing this," Vitor states, "I'd have just walked up to it and read its history.  It looks kind of like what speculative fiction authors predict lifeboats for starships will look.  But that doesn't mean that's what it is.  I'm quite attached to my remaining hand, and I'd like to stay that way."

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing appears to happen at the poking of the escape pod, but from inside, a distant voice can be heard... repeating, by the sounds of it. Though, it is hard to tell from the outside. The blue light in the small window continues to flicker inside of the pod.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

The work had gone well, so Ena was just finishing up when the object appeared. Motion detectors noted the appearance of the object as soon as it occurred, and quickly transmitted that information. It could be caught, but Ena chose not to do so, after quickly processing the black button in the center. It would not do well to hit that, and while her motor systems were finely tuned, they were not tuned enough to guarantee that she would not accidentally press the button. Thus, she let the object bounce off her head. A perfectly logical decision.

After a single bounce, Ena stopped the device, picked it up, and stood up herself. The button on the device was black, and not red, so it was unlikely a problem, and if the device was a grenade, well it was probably already primed, and thus it wouldn't matter if she pressed the button. However, if seemed reasonable to bring it instead to someone more qualified for such things. Exiting the room containing the core, Ena made her way through the ship, following various auditory data and clues to make her way to Alan's location.

"This appeared from nowhere, and hit me on the head. It has a large button, but I didn't deem it safe to press it. Due to your knolwedge of electronics, I thought you should have it."

Alan responded to Ena's question by gingerly taking the small device off of her hands and examining the apparently electronic device with all of the methods he had in his disposal...or at least the ones that don't involve actually taking the damned thing apart piece by piece/took longer than 5 or so minutes to perform anyway; he was quite surprised when his cyberdeck's systems reported that the device had no detectable electronics other than the button, emitted/received no radio signals, and seemed to not respond to the presence of a WiFi signal or any pings sent to its direction, as it basically meant that he had absolutely no idea what this device was even for.

This was why he decided to shrug at Ena and hand the device over to his DOOMBOT just after he typed in a command to place the heavy minigun somewhere it wouldn't be able to swiftly grab it and shoot at everyone in the room "After a thorough round of examinations I can say that I am almost certain about how you and I would be relatively safe and sound after the button is pressed....if the one pushing the button is my DOOMBOT that is".

"I'll leave that to you then." For now, Ena was more interested in her own abilities to inspect whatever had bumped into their ship earlier, causing a slight disturbance. Eventually she found herself in the location where Vitor, someone unknown, Freya, and Stellio were inspecting what appeared to be some form of pod.

"Is it an escape pod?"

As Alan quietly followed Ena out of the room he periodically glanced back at his DOOMBOT to make sure that it was still doing exactly what he ordered it to, and once the two of them had finally gotten more than a couple of feet away Alan would order his DOOMBOT to push the damn button just before he quickly ran back to the room to try and find out exactly what the device does.

Alan

Once DOOMBOT pressed the button, the device flared to life, the top portion of it sliding soundlessly to reveal a bit of smooth, black machinary before a screen popped up, with a red line running through it as the device began to play a voice only recording, with the person talking clearly female,

“Greetings to anyone listening. My name is Zhou Hua, though I am mostly referred to as The Commander. I… Would normally hate having to use this method, but as it stands now, I am running out of options. We are fighting a losing war with ADVENT… Their fancy name for themselves, ever since they first took over the planet. We just like to call them the Aliens. Normally, we would just reach out to other Resistance areas for more men, but due to ADVENT’s technology, we at the Resistance, or as we prefer to call it, XCOM, have figured out that they hold interdimensional communication, and my Central Officer persuaded me to try and call for reinforcements to try and get help. As such, we have made this Interdimensional Recording device to try and do exactly that. If it is needed, and it likely will be, there are schematics coded into this device to help you create something to get to our own world, along with a way to contact us when you arrive, and coordinates to get to our world” they explained before pausing for a full second, “... If you are working WITH ADVENT and listening to this, please forget about everything I said, and kindly piss off” they finished before the recording ended, the top portion sliding back shut with its message finished. After a few seconds though, the middle portion opened up a bit, revealing a small slot for other machinery to connect to.

Edited by GodofGamingRWBY

Aquila walks into the room with the device, having been walking by aimlessly.

"Huh, I'm gonna go help with this."

Aquila stares at the device, hoping to get some answers on how to make the thingy it was talking about. He presumably gets nothing.

Freya

After a good amount of time staring at the pod, watching Vitor poke at it, Freya finally let curiosity get the better of her, walking around to where she could open the pod and investigate. There seemed to be someone in there anyway, so they should just check it out to give them a little helping hand. If it was trapped... Eh. She didn't really have much to lose besides time from something like that anyway.

Aquila

Unfortunately, staring at the device does nothing as the piece of hardware simply lays there, unmoving.

Having been satisfied with putting his commandeered workshop room in order, Nader had once again been walking around the ship to make sure it was clear from interdimensional intruders; if he had free time, he’d figured that he’d better use it to make sure things were secure. He certainly didn’t intend to just drop his guard when he knew that there were things out there that wanted them dead and when he was still with a group of relative strangers that he couldn’t necessarily trust.

When he heard an unknown voice coming from one room, it seemed to confirm his fears. He drew his Osprey rifle, and peeked in to see precisely who the hell was in the room. When he saw that it was just some sort of vaguely suspicious communication device, though, he calmed down and put the gun back on his back, listening to the voice; aliens invading and conquering the world? Horrible, Nader thought, and like the colonialists but on pretty much the grandest scale he would have been able to think of before he’d been called into Castle Doom.

His pondering cut off and his entrance became much more sudden when he watched the medieval man pick the device up and just start randomly messing around with it; the mangalloy-armored Forenian promptly charged into the room and extended his hand in a “stop” gesture. ”What in the name of Allah are you doing?! You don’t know how that thing or anything similar to it works, you could damage something or cause it to damage us or just lose the coordinates by blithely fucking around with it!”

Upon Freyja opening the pod, the door slowly lifts up, only to have confetti be sprayed from the top the outer shell of the pod, accompanied by the sound of a party horn. A projected hologram of a trapezoidal robot rolls towards the doorway, waving at Freya with one of it's arms. A rather annoying, yet excited sounded voice speaks, or rather yells out. "Greetings, Vaulthunters! We here on Pandora require your help! Wherever this damn piece of scrap ended up! Allow me to introduce myself! I am a CL4P-TP Steward Bot, but my friends call me Claptrap! That is... if they weren't dead, or existed in the first place! Anyways, I need you to come and help us against this bandit problem we have! They're killing everybody, which isn't highly unusual, or out of character, but certainly is worrisome! So whaddya say you climb in the hunk of space junk, and come down to Pandora to help? Maybe you can find the Vault, and make it worth your time! Not that many people return after trying to find it... but yeah, maybe YOU could! Just uh, hop on inside, close the door, and hit the big red button that says 'Do Not Press,' and you'll be on your way!" The robot's hologram reaches forward towards something unseen. "Okay, now how do I turn this blasted thing off! Oh, I see! No. No no no no no! Not that button! Ah, here we go-" The hologram disappears, allowing some ceiling lights in the pod to light up, as if it were a car.

Tim walks up to the group of people standing around the pod.

"Well I don't know about you lot, but the last time a crazy robot told me to do something and I ignored it I got sent here.  So umm all aboard?"

With that(and not a single introduction) the strange redrobed wizard climbed into pod.

Freya

Initially, Freya had stood in front of the pod, a hand on her hip as she watched it slowly opened, trying to look as cool as possible as it opened for her... Only to jump and shout a bit in surprise when the confetti shot out, throwing her arms up to protect herself out of instinct. However, after a second of awkwardness as Claptrap began his speech, she forced herself to straighten, brushing off the stray confetti before jumping in herself, snapping her fingers as she did so.

Back at her room, her zombies would take notice of another portal that had suddenly opened up, before each were compelled to walk through, entering one of Freya's new pocket dimension as their Necromancer readied herself to leave for Pandora.

Freya, on the other hand, once she was in the pod, turned to the strange guy that had entered with her, "Hey there, I don't think we've ever met" she said, before holding out a hand for him to shake, "Freya Wentz, Necromancer. Pleasure to meet you."

• 1 year later...

Leo Following the departure of the party from the Village, had somehow found himself flying the ship again. 
Turns out, There were controls on the inside to, and they had some coordinates for worlds where the other party members had apparently gone. This wasn't actualy that hard, though later he would love to see what this thing could really do. 

Freya

It was nice being on the Weatherlight again. After everything, it was just nice to be able to relax in a quiet environment... Even if she did have Casper now, and she wasn't sure if he should be wandering the ship on her own. So, she merely asked him to follow her as she did her own work.

Which was mainly focused on the the core of the Weatherlight, and the millions of souls still inside. Hence why, after reboarding the ship, she now was sitting in front of the large crystal, legs folded up, and her journal in front of her as she stared at the large stone. So far, her main goal was to release said souls, but she couldn't just... Break the core, because that seemed to power the ship, somehow. But, it was magic in origin, and the souls weren't even a part of the power source. They were just there. She just had to figure out a way to create an exit for them, since she couldn't pull out every soul one by one. That would just be impossible for her.

Portal magic could do the trick, but only if she managed to apply it to a certain layer of the core, that only let the trapped souls escape. And not to anything bad.

Well, it was worth a shot at least.

Kusuke had herded Satomi back to the ships, heading into the larger one in the hopes that they could find a less public space. And find one he did, hustling Satomi into a room and trying not to think about the distressingly large disparity between how competent Leo believed himself to be, and how much competence he had actually displayed. 

Located in a more private location that was less likely to offend her already-damaged sense of honor, Kusuke finally replied to what she'd said earlier."Satomi, you're not a failure. The only reason that village is still standing is because you worked day and night to get those walls in place. And of course you were scared in that place. I was scared in that place. And I didn't have one of my supposed allies backstab me right before it happened." He was still going to throttle Arminius the next time he saw the man. "I mean, yeah, you reacted emotionally, because you were tired and battered. That happens."

--- 

Lucine slinks aboard, Moss in tow, behind Tim. She wasn't sure if she should tell him why anyone would want to turn her into a cup, then he might want to as well. "I mean, that little rodent guy somehow knew about it, and Father always told me to look out for other mages, so I thought. . ." He'd never outright said that's what it was, of course, but it wasn't hard to put two and two together. 

Meanwhile, across the ship... Aquila was searching for any food at all. Fighting made him hungry after all. He of course would also accept booze, but he had already searched for that and found himself wanting. That made him sad, how are you supposed to celebrate a good fight if you didn't have ale or mead? You just can't, it's just a meal otherwise.

Harry found himself for the first time on board this large ship, rather than the cramped schoolbus. Due to this, a realization came to him, that there was now some semblance of privacy possible, and that most all of the team was probably here. So, he decided to search for the other medic, Rachel.

As soon as he located her, he stated, "I think we should give medical examinations to everyone. Checking for infectious diseases, letting everyone know about proper quarantine procedures, maybe setting aside a section of this big ship for that, the works. You want to help? Be a damn shame if we just got taken out by a random virus because someone like Aquila thought it was a cold and decided it wasn't worth mentioning."

Feeling a funny chill go down his back, Law walks over to the power core, which makes a much larger chill go up his back.

"S-so, what's with the, uh." Law gestures to the outpour of ghostly specters.

"Wait.  Why the hell were souls shoved into the power core?  Was this thing made during the goddamn dark ages?" he snipes, glaring at the power core.

Freya

It took Freya a while, considering she didn't have much chances to get things right without breaking something, but eventually, she went to work. Separating her soul from her body for the duration of her setup, Freya set out to create the hole for the millions of souls. So, she began projecting a square "hole" onto the core, specifically to allow the souls to leave.

... And... It worked. Once she set up her spell, the trapped souls began pouring out, nearly hitting Freya's before she managed to float back far enough away. For a few seconds, Freya couldn't believe her eyes, but once she did, her soul began bouncing up and down with excitement, pure happiness on her spiritual face until she was forced to return to her physical body... Which let out a resounding "YES!" once it was back in control.

Of course, that was shortly after Law entered, something Freya didn't notice, and when he asked his question, Freya froze, turned to him, and then cleared her throat, "Well, from what I remember, some guy named Urza wanted to use an entire Plane as a core for this thing. He just didn't think about making sure everyone inside was out. So they were just kind of trapped there" she explained, before placing a hand on her hip as she looked back at the core, "But, I managed to get them free, so now they don't have to be crammed into that thing."

"Is this my life now?  Just me being forced to look at advanced technology made by people who would be better suited hooting in a cave with some rocks?"

Law rubs his forehead.

"You did a very good job, Freya, and I assure you, this isn't what high quality zeptotech is supposed to look like when made by someone rational."

He pulls out orange metal canisters, filled with red, blue, green, and purple substances that shift and glitter.

"Eco, for example, is 100% soul-free, and worth a hell of a lot more than some caveman power core slapped together in what was probably a few drunken minutes of bad decisions."

He claims, scowling at the core.

Freya

At Law's frustrated response, Freya merely shrugged, "I figured. There was plenty wrong with it when I first got near it" she replied, before glancing back at Law as he pulled out his orange canisters, causing the Necromancer to raise her eyebrows before kneeing down to get a closer look, "Eco huh? What does it do?"

"Eco is a substance made with the essence of the Precursors."

"Each type contains part of their achievements and qualities.  Green can heal, Yellow can fire projectiles, Blue can accelerate and energize, Red can empower, Light Eco can restore and purify.  And Dark..."

"Dark Eco is corruptive, and deals in modification.  It is the most dangerous, without Light Eco to keep it in check, or Precursor Metal to contain it.  It can, left unchecked, corrupt both the body and mind, twisting them into other forms."

"Light and Dark Eco are both made of the other four types of Eco combined, Dark Eco can be split into the four other types, and those can then be combined into Light."

"All six, however, are important, for making artifacts, power cells, and even Precursor Metal."