The Weatherlight

DragonRage

Kaiu Satomi

Satomi’s sobs delayed for a moment as Kusuke wrapped her into a tight hug, aside from the hiccups that still rocked her frame. This was simply from sheer, stunned surprise: Satomi hadn’t been... held like this in years and years. It had been a very long time since she had had much physical contact at all, really. Her friends, well, contact between friends was rare in Rokugan, as it wasn’t proper even for the Crab Clan. Her father she didn’t see much, now that she was at the Wall, and even then she was older than she once was.

So when Kusuke outright wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her, for a long moment she couldn’t process it. Then she leaned into him, wrapping her arms around him, and she bawled into his chest for several minutes, crying and crying and crying as she fully took the locks off of the emotional responses she’d kept so repressed — her response to the fall of her wall, to the fear of the incident with the glass creature and the marionettes, and the response of course to the sheer horror and violation of what Arminius had done to her. Hell, she probably cried out more than that.

Eventually her sobs slowed, and just became the occasional sound and shudder from a mostly silent girl, who was clinging tightly onto Kusuke. She didn’t soften her grasp or move one bit. Right now, impropriety and strength were concerns far behind simple comfort.

Nader Jabal

Elsewhere on the Weatherlight, another one of the party’s engineers — this one even more armored and paranoid — looked at a certain door on the Weatherlight, a marker taken from the world of the resistance against the space alien colonialists in his hands. Behind the door laid the space he had claimed as both his personal quarters and his workshop aboard the ship. ”Alright, just how do I write this...” Flourishing the marker, Nader wrote TRESPASS AT OWN PERIL on the door, set up a shotgun behind it aimed at chest height, and then just entered the room, sat down, and waited. ”<I’ll be fucking shocked if nobody takes this as an invitation,>’’ he muttered to himself in his strange variety of Arabic.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kusuke found himself at a loss once again. He was fairly certain he'd made the correct decision, but where was he supposed to go from here? He sighed slightly; he'd been right, things had been wearing at Satomi pretty badly, but he had underestimated just how much. The time traveler elected to stay quiet beyond that, simply letting Satomi sob into his chest; he was fairly certain he would have messed up anything he tried to say, anyway. He'd never been great at comforting people, barring promising to beat the tar out of the source of the problem, arrest it, or both, but he didn't think that would help much in this moment. Kusuke just let his grip relax slightly, letting Satomi pull away whenever she felt like it and patting her on the back lightly for good measure. . . and trying to ignore how hard the girl was pressed into him.

"I'm afraid I haven't heard about any of those, they may not even exist on my world.  Hmm...Pick one of these."

Tim reaches into his bag and pull out three things, a small fancy looking Glock, a cheap looking AK-47, and some kind of combat shotgun.

"If you so wish I'll see about making it shoot ice or fire or something."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sure, will do.  As far as the mission I was on, we went to a world and help an organization of freedom fighters called XCOM, killed some invading aliens, blew up a massive siege cannon, and managed not to die.  Good times.  Oh I might actually have something you'd like."

Frigus reaches behind himself and pulls a large glowing yellow sphere in some kind of grey framework out of seemingly nowhere.

"It's something I was working on in that world, I made it out of a lightning stone with the intention of crating a Thunder-G if I ever com across Gummi blocks, or just a normal cannon if I don't."

Leo would find that the object had an odd almost glossy appearance to it and that the sphere had a hairline fracture in it.

"It's really too bad, it cracked while I was working on it.  I'm not entirely sure how even, I just turned around and it was cracked."

Aquila rolls his eyes at the accusatory gesture as he stands from his attempt to pet the small talking critter. "Like I said, I'm just fine. Bit drunk but what else are you supposed to do after a battle yeah? I'm a big guy Freya, you don't need to worry that much over me." Aquila goes to take a drink and then frowns upon realizing that his bottle is empty.

"Ohhhh whats it supposed to be? A power core?"
Walking over, he starts to look it over
"Let me see here...."

Assuming Frigus allows it, he holds one hand out over it and mana test it, before he starts going through his analyze spell, words pouring out and mana seeping into the core.

Spoiler

(16, 18) The Lightning Core's Mana type produces a Dimensional Energy which releases bolts of lightning that home in on targets, and resist environmental dissipation.

(6, 19) Lightning Stone Mana produces Lightning Magic, distinct from electricity by how it doesn't really act like electricity.

(19, 14) Dull Shard Mana produces Force Magic, distinct from raw kinetic energy by how it doesn't really act like normal force. It can do things most would consider improbable, or impractical at best.

Spoiler

(50) Too much energy in too small a space. A larger core would have been just fine.

He nods after a bit as the glow fades from the core
"Yeah I see the problem, Its just to much energy for its size. The simplest solution is a larger core. Though it might still have some uses. These are some really interesting matrials though, got any more?"

On 2/24/2019 at 3:15 AM, Hal Henderics said:

'Oh fuck this' Law thinks to himself, trying to scramble out of the room.

"NicetalkingtoyouFreyagottagobye"

Law quickly finds himself quite literally bumping into what appears to be a very well dressed clown in his desperate dash to head outside of the room, causing the man to look down at the very small furry....creature and exclaim, "Oh hey there little guy! I didn't know that we had a mascot already."

"Oh, you can speak! I wonder who took the time to do that to you, were you part of someone's experiment or something li-Law?." Alan said as he took a couple of steps forward, causing the sound of a myriad of metallic feet to be heard as well as some of his more portable drones follow after him. "And uh, I don't remember having met you before, you can call me Alan by the way, used to go by 'Radbot' as well, and as you can see I do most of my work with drones and computers."

Lucine perused Tim's offerings with interest. She made a little face at the Glock, passing over it fairly quickly while muttering something along the lines of "seen it." The little gun nut murmured to herself, half-complete phrases of jargon falling out involuntarily as she drifted between the assault rifle and the shotgun. She didn't seem deterred by the cheapness of the former; in fact it almost seemed to add to the draw. The latter, though, was less familiar, and after a seemingly agonizing moment of thought, she made little grabby hands at the shotgun. "I wanna mess with this one! Oh, um, but do we have a target range? And earmuffs? These things are loud and Dad always yells at me if I try to play with them without earmuffs."

Both angry and in the comforting presence of drones, Law snaps back

"It's LAW, L, A, W, and I could talk in the first place, even before I augmented myself with technology advanced enough to make your head spin, you outdated hack!"  Law shouts.

"I deal exclusively in nanotechnology, zeptotech, and PRECISION engineering!" He says, implying that Precise Engineering is something not done by most other engineers.

3 minutes ago, Hal Henderics said:

Both angry and in the comforting presence of drones, Law snaps back

"It's LAW, L, A, W, and I could talk in the first place, even before I augmented myself with technology advanced enough to make your head spin, you outdated hack!"  Law shouts.

"I deal exclusively in nanotechnology, zeptotech, and PRECISION engineering!" He says, implying that Precise Engineering is something not done by most other engineers.

Alan lets out a slight chuckle as he saw Law try his best to seem outraged and indignant, and he waited for just a bit before he jokingly replied with "You say that, but what I hear is that you spent a looong time making small and cute robots to make yourself seem more adorable, not that I'm judging of course, you do you." The last of Alan's drones shuffle into the room, with one of them floating up to a corner of it to get a better vantage point to record the proceedings from.

With what is mere nanometers away from being a full blown scowl, Law whips out a gun nearly as large as a person from nowhere, plonking it onto the ground in front of him.

Malicious purple lightning occasionally crackles from within the prongs making up it's barrel.

"Is this cute?  Huh?!"

"How about those chassis's of yours that I built with my own two hands?  Are those cute?"  He says, gesturing to a good chunk of Alan's drones, which use the bodies Law built.

"It's Ok Caveman, you don't need to posture at your betters after you play with their garbage."

Law, is by this point, fuming.

6 minutes ago, Hal Henderics said:

With what is mere nanometers away from being a full blown scowl, Law whips out a gun nearly as large as a person from nowhere, plonking it onto the ground in front of him.

Malicious purple lightning occasionally crackles from within the prongs making up it's barrel.

"Is this cute?  Huh?!"

"How about those chassis's of yours that I built with my own two hands?  Are those cute?"  He says, gesturing to a good chunk of Alan's drones, which use the bodies Law built.

"It's Ok Caveman, you don't need to posture at your betters after you play with their garbage."

Law, is by this point, fuming.

Alan simply stands in place as the DOOMBOT moved over to try pick it up and move it closer to it's master for further inspection, "Well, I wouldn't call that cute no. Although it does make me think, if you had 'superior nano and zeptotech' why are you still assembling anything with your own hands? And uh, as impressive as I think this gun is, I'm surprised that you haven't added any wheels or tracks to aim it with.

"Do you task your nanobots to help you lift it? Or reform it to places where it can get a clear shot?."

When Doombot moves over to grab it, Law does something inexplicable that makes it disappear back into his robes.

"Well, considering most of my body is enhanced and filled with that very technology, I very well am." He snipes.

"Do you even HAVE automated production?"  Law says, whipping out a large hunk of technology that looks like a 3D printer.

"Well now that I have a lot of free time and can't bum off of the Avenger's automated production system anymore I was thinking of working on one, also we have those in my world, they're called a 3D printer, why do you even need one if you have matter assembling nanobots anyway?," Alan asks as he scans his memories to find that one not at all complete idea/blueprint he had in mind for one.

"I bet your world's 3D Printers don't do this, Caveman."

Law waddles over to Alan's Cyberdeck, waves some kind of magic wand over it, reads the branding printed on the casing and then rapidly types into the Printer, which projects some kind of holographic screen.

Eventually, it lights up with purple energy, and something interesting happens, Two Cyberdecks, which look a lot like his own come into existence, seemingly melting into reality with a faint purple glow after a few long minutes.

Trying to boot them up, Law is forced to troubleshoot, waving his magic wand over them, and typing on another screen it projects, filled with strange runes and arcane symbols.

"W-well, there you go.  Two fresh new "Cyberdecks", fresh and waiting for an operating system.  Complete with Holographic Projection Screen and Holo-Touch controls."

"No they do not," Alan flatly said as he immediately picked the cyberdecks up, cracking one open to inspect it's contents as he copies over an image of his usual OS to the other, finding himself a little shocked when he quickly finds out that not only does he have no idea what the mascot used to make these things work, but that the other one seems to be wholly compatible with his OS despite it's...alien design. "Interesting, I wasn't expecting it to work in the first place but however you made these, they seem to be virtually indistinguishable from my cyberdeck for the only thing that counts, of course I have no idea if this would even work with anything else I have, but still, that's quite an impressive little tool you have there."

"It's far from perfect, I've had to assemble the entire thing from the ground up with nothing but Precursor Metal and Power Cells and whatever else I can scrounge up."

He scratches his chin, glaring at the device.

"There's a minor bug with the teleporter that steals people's hair and stuffs it into the prints too, so I haven't been able to use the teleprinter functionality to make food like a proper precursor constructor."

Alan instinctively reaches for the top of his head to examine it for any missing hairs the moment Law mentions his printer's 'minor' defect, and he leans in a little as he says, "Do you know if it's a hardware or a software defect yet? Because that might cause problems down the line, especially if you're printing something as delicate as a circuitboard."

"Well, it's not a hardware DEFECT, I've already scoured the whole machine with Light Eco in case there was some corruption from the teleporter element.  No dice."

Law says.

"It's either some quirk of the software, an interaction of the various zeptotech elements, or a property inherent to the Ender Pearl acting as the teleporter element."

To Law it would seem as if there was a slightly red gleam in the eyes of Alan's mask as he suggested, "Well then, if you don't mind a caveman prodding away at your printer, I think I could help you out with that, I am a programmer after all, and I'm willing to bet that my datajack allows me to interface with a machine's programming more directly than that staff of yours. Unless of course, you're confident enough in your own ability to program your teleporter into not marking nearby people's hair as a valid source of raw materials."

Tim puts away the two other guns and pauses in thought for a moment, honestly Lucine probably new the ship better than he did at this point.

"I don't think we have any kind of firing range, and if we did it would probably be on the top deck.  Somewhere no one wants to be right now."

"We could head down to the docking area, I think it's a open enough and I could setup some kind of target so nothing ricochets."

Assuming Lucine agrees Tim sets up several feet of sandbags against a wall, a small stack to shoot at, and a thin lead plate leaned up against it.  He also digs through his bag in an attempt to find something for earplugs, the best he finds is some petroleum jelly and/or wool, neither of which sound like great plans.

Freya

At Aquila's response, Freya merely stared for a few seconds, before switching back to her cheerful state in an interest, "Alright then, just try not to get yourself hurt" she replied, before snapping her fingers again, creating a portal to let Dyno trudge away, "I should go work on some other things to do. See you around Aquila!" she stated, walking around Aquila, before stopping and turning around, "Oh yeah, do you still want to... Nevermind, I'll ask later" Freya began, only to trail off with a shake of her head, before heading out.