Welcome to the Apocalypse - Director's Cut IC

DragonRage

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the sniper shots ended and the Pig Beast retreated the trail of cracked dirt came to a stop and the lizardman slowly began poking his head up, looking at their surroundings.

He kept his head low while listening to the others talk, nothing but his eyes visible under the mound of upturned dirt.  With a bit of a disgruntled sigh he finally pulled himself out of his hole to follow along with the rest of the group as they walked.

The Skyfaller with colorful hair spoke, and then did his weapon, he talked of making Golems also something called a 'computer' and 'railgun'.  Not that Sha'Tith exactly knew what these other things meant, but he knew what a Golem was.

So Sha'Tith approached the little Skyfaller and spoke to them in a low not quite menacing voice.

"You speak of Golems, that you can build them.  Is this true?"

He looked intently at the Skyfaller, clearly waiting for a response.

Vitor couldn't see it behind Nader's mask, of course, but at the suggestion of receiving additional guns Nader was grinning widely. "Oh, I'll gladly take any gun that you give me; I make a point of being as armed as possible. And yes, maybe I can do something with them. I'm from 1942, so powder weapons are far from obsolete for me - obviously, Forenia sees heavy use of them, and along with armor, small arms are my specialty... but usually fairly large small arms I'll see what I can do."

Lucine had shaken her head earlier, and with it that odd mechanicalness to her motions. Now, she somewhat tenderly poked at her wounds, looking a bit nervous. "Um, I'm Lucine Nadine Einzbern Yggdmillenia. . ." She hesitated for a moment. She wasn't entirely certain she should let these people - especially Vitor, as his magecraft seemed to be from the same world as hers even if his tech wasn't. The names Einzbern and Yggdmillenia would have both been fairly recognizable: Einzbern, the great house of alchemy and one of the three creators of the Holy Grail War, and Yggdmillenia, the house of outcasts and washouts. "Opal lets me use my magic to fight, but other than that I mostly make Mystic Codes." It was clear the girl wasn't saying everything; she wasn't exactly a practiced liar.

Nader shifted to look at Aquila with the sound of metal clattering and fabric rustling. "Nobody cares about if you're a fugitive from your world. Why would we? We don't know anything about your world, after all. Let people keep their secrets, this isn't some sort of trial here. Especially if they're little girls. Don't need to be so damn nosy unless you've got a very good reason for it."

"Also, can we get moving? There's a sniper out here, I'll point it out again."

Vitor asks to touch the shield, and assuming Aquila assents places his organic hand on it and concentrates.  "Whoa.  This is-  I think this thing comes from ancient Egypt!" Vitor exclaims, "It's ancient...  There's a lot of mystery in this.  It... It was used by a Pharoah called Imhotep... to fight an alien invasion at the head of a team of Egyptian heroes?  Wow, your world's history is trippy.  If it has any special properties, they'll probably only manifest in a great leader, or while you're fighting extraterrestrials.  I'll have to meditate on this later.  I might be able to make a Phantasmal Blueprint from it.

"Wait, did you say Einsbern?  I've heard that name before.  They're in a lot of old alchemy books.  But they were wiped out in the first Omnic Crisis here.  I'm sorry for your loss.  They refused to believe that the works of science could be a threat to mages, and were overrun by drones commanded by the God Program Fenrir.  Oh, a bit of context.  There are these AI called God Programs around here.  Nobody knows where they came from, but if you erase them on one server they appear on another soon after, even if there are no connections between the two.  They name themselves after gods or supernatural creatures, can control any advanced technology they connect with, and most wish to see humanity rendered extinct.  Fortunately, they're not all evil, they can be contained, and an AI with a strong will can fight them off.  Heck, they might actually be divine spirits incarnate.  Machine gods for an age of machines.  It's fitting, in a twisted sort of way."

Edited by DragonRage

"That's my point sir, if there's secrets you would keep on your world it's best to tell everyone else as soon as possible so we can work with that in mind going forwards. We're going to have to trust each other for a while after all if we're saving even a single universe."

Aquila keeps the fact that he's never even heard of an Egypt to himself.

"Oh. I'm not, um, how do I explain. . ." The girl didn't seem overly shaken up at the news of the destruction of the Einzberns. "My father was an outcast from the Einzberns. I was never part of their family. I'm a Yggdmillenia, I just inherited the name." 

"A Yggdmillenia homunculus, that is. Technically you didn't inherit anything." Opal, still in hand cannon form, piped up from Lucine's hands, only to be slapped against Nadine's leg.

"Opal, you know that we're not supposed to talk about that to strangers. . .!" The girl looked somewhat helplessly back at the rest of the party.

Contagion quietly followed along as the group talked, calmly breathing through his mask. He had no real reason to talk at the moment, as he was just trying to keep these people that he was randomly banded together with alive. Plain and simple. Not that he wouldn't mind talking to someone, just that he saw no real reason to randomly speak up after all this time. He didn't want to be awkward, oh heavens no. That'd be disastrous, and ruin his persona of being a hero.

"What's wrong with being a homunculus?" Vitor asks, "Just because you were built instead of born doesn't make you any less of a person.  And I've never heard of the Yggdmillenia, so they must be a local name.  Definitely not active in Brazil.

"And whoever that sniper was, if they could hit Junkrat's ear without getting the rest of his head, we're only living by their mercy and the grace of God."

"And the sooner we get to that safehouse then the sooner we're not relying on that! I'm going to go crazy. Er. Crazier."

Then he looked at Aquila again. "I've never been one for trusting everyone I'm working with instantly with every detail of my life, and I don't much like the idea of trying to make everyone else do so, too. I don't like nosy people, unless it's literal counter-espionage. I wouldn't worry about being a "homunculus", though, Lucine. After meeting and being threatened by an actual lizardman, I almost can't be surprised by anything strange anymore."

"You must be nicer than the mages around in my time. . . Father always said to be careful around them. That they might try to take me away if they found out." Lucine didn't seem to acknowledge the fact that she didn't exactly blend into a crowd to start, with bright cyan hair and red eyes. "That's part of why I have Opal with me, even if she's sorta terrible." The weapon got halfway through making an offended noise, before it became that sort of verbal shrug that one tended to hear in sitcoms. "Um, now that you know that, I can tell you about the Cards. I can set up a ritual to put a copy of a Heroic Spirit into a card, and then use that with Opal. I also figured out how to make Mystic Codes using them." A note of pride entered her voice at that.

Contagion audibly sighs, and quickly steps between Nader and Aquila, glancing back and forth between the two, the soulless black lenses staring at each of them for a few seconds. They better not start trying to beat eachother, he thought. The only real sound being a calm and steadying breathing through the gasmask.

Edited by Projeck

Nader sighs at that, before putting his armored hand (the one on his machine-gun arm) to his mask for a moment in a facepalm, before putting his hand down and then leaning on his Horsekiller.

"If you're trying to bait me into a fight, you're not going to get it. I'm not the lizardman, I don't respond with violence to insults, only to getting attacked. I may be a paranoid of the most genuine variety, but believe me, I've had too much time to think about myself and been through too much for that to work on me. I'll just repeat my point: even if she is talking now, don't go harassing little girls, and don't go getting too damn nosy."

"You can put an entire aspect of a heroic spirit into a mystic code?  That's amazing!" Vitor exclaims, "I can only get equipment, and it's an imperfect copy at best.  Plus it comes with none of the skills of the original wielder.  It took a lot of work to learn how to use even the one I have.

"But yeah, the big mage organizations and families are a lot nicer nowadays.  Probably comes from most of the old guard dying in the Omnic Crisis.  We lost so much knowledge it inspired a flood of new research, and closer ties to regular humans, like in Overwatch.  And now new heroes are popping up, people with powers and skills that set them above the rest.  Mystery is even getting stronger lately; seems like the more we learn, the more we realize is out there.  It's a new Age of Heroes, and nothing from pre-crisis is set in stone anymore.  And unless Talon, or some old fogies, or whoever you're trying to stop mess things up, it'll just keep getting better and better."

"Do you really think she's a little girl? I mean, that Doom guy obviously had some problems but no one would be so fucked in the head that they would put a child on the battle fie-, here I'll ask her."

Aquila turns to Lucine, putting a hand up to make himself noticed through loudness.

"Hey Lucine, how old are you?"

At the mention of "Lizardman" Sha'Tith glanced over to Aquila, Contagion, and Nader with the sort of disgusted look you get on your face when you see two idiots arguing.

"I've grown accustom to the violence Skyfallers brought down on my world, we were once a peaceful people."

He let out a small humph and puff of smoke, then turned back to his 'conversation' with Leo.

Edited by StormLord

Nader proceeds to nod, grimly.

"I spoke with her back in the castle. She told me that she was twelve years old, and besides that she is clearly, visibly, a little girl. Have you never seen one before?? And people don't even have to be fucked in the head to do things that terrible, in any event. I'm fucked in the head, and I wouldn't have sent a twelve-year-old off to fight... but I have seen some things. A soldier this young, that's... new, admittedly, but it's not the worst thing I've seen people do when their lives are on the line."

Nader shrugged languorously at Sha'tith when the lizardman said his piece -- wasn't really his concern what some other country or people had done in the lizardman's homeworld.

Edited by Powder Miner

"Um, technically I'm only six. But I was born with the mind and body of a six year old, so really I'm closer to twelve. That's what Father says, anyway." She shrugged, the first part of her speech sounding, well, like she was just repeating something she heard a parent say. "I can only get one part of one aspect of a Heroic Spirit to actually do anything at a time, though," she said, switching back to a topic that clearly interested her more. "And I'm still working on actually summoning the spirit I want." She crossed her arms for a moment, thinking. It looked rather odd with the massive guns she was still holding, one of which she held out toward Vitor after a moment. "Um, can you tell which Heroic Spirits Opal is using right now with your magic?"

"Right now?  No.  My magecraft works through touch, so I have to be touching whatever I analyze, and I only learn about whoever's used an item in the past," Vitor says, "So even if you put a Heroic Spirit's power into an object, I'll only read who's used the object.  Sounds like that means I'd learn more about you.  I could probably do more if I had some lab time to examine Opal, though.  You said you have trouble choosing which spirit you summon?  I still have the bone shard I read to emulate Gae Bolg.  Could you use that as a focus to create a card for Cu Chulainn?"

One can feel that Aquila's mouth is gaping. He raises a finger, then reaches for his mace, then stops doing both to stomp around for a second making a noise of distress before finally stopping, his helmet covered face in his hands.

"By Odin's cock, that isn't normal! A kid should be out playing or at home watching their parents, not..."

A small mew from the side of Aquila covered by his shield interrupts him. He quickly takes off his gloves to pull a black kitten out, apparently unharmed during it's time in the bag. In hindsight he was very careful of anything happening to that side... the man starts petting it, stress visibly melting away as the kitten purs.

"Oh. That makes sense. I could probably summon Cu Chulainn, yeah." She was somewhat startled by Aquila's outburst, and then further distracted by the kitten, but it seemed that the discussion of magic was still more interesting to her. "It's Herakles and Nero, by the way. I wanted Siegfried, so I was excited when I saw it was a Saber. It's almost like she was taunting me. . . I wanted to see if I could combine them and make something really durable." Nadine's disappointment was evident on her face. "Anyway, I bet Opal would be fine with it if you wanted to take a look later. Maybe while I'm setting up the ritual?"

"I most certainly would not be! What makes you think I would?"

"See? She's excited for it."