End of an Era

Amethyst

People who already have Ace will continue to have it, correct? I take it everyone starts at 0 for EXP considering it's brand new.

Current Aces retain that status. Aside from that, EXP isn't retroactive, so it's only from then on.

• Upvote 1

Something I've been wondering, it was mentioned that the update is going to take place "in the next few weeks" and while the actual update is going on, we won't be able to access the site for up to a week, and since E16 is currently in Beta testing and the community/public release are happening relatively soon, I just wanted to know if the site update is going to happen before the community release. I know that Tacos mentioned that the site update is planned to be at the end of the beta test, but I just wanted some clarification just to be sure :)

I like the idea of a new site. A fresh start always encourages creative thought.

So my guess for the new site launch will be that it will coincide with the release of E16. It does not make sense to upload the links for the game just to go offline the next day. No, I think these things go together.

So the exp system is basically just an easier to access version of the old Rep system? so can I give people exp for something I found helpful or will I have to contact a mod?

Not really. The old rep system will also still exist. The only way you'll give EXP to another user is by giving them rep points. Rep points will make up a portion of the EXP but not all of it. Other than that it will be the auth team who assign EXP. So if you find something helpful you'll do the same thing you did before the site upgrade and upvote it.

Not really. The old rep system will also still exist. The only way you'll give EXP to another user is by giving them rep points. Rep points will make up a portion of the EXP but not all of it. Other than that it will be the auth team who assign EXP. So if you find something helpful you'll do the same thing you did before the site upgrade and upvote it.

That can be biased, just like spamposting for rep is. Even worse, it speaks of no evolutions. How will one know they have enough EXP to level up?

Edit: BTW Ep.16 has its way to prepare you for the change.

Current Aces retain that status. Aside from that, EXP isn't retroactive, so it's only from then on.

Post count is retained, account details are retained.

Since rep is going to factor into EXP (and also we're making it a bit more limited than it is currently so people can't just spamspam upvotes), we might be doing a reset of reputation? I can't remember if we made a decision on that or not.

Late response is late, but something I've been pondering about is if this isn't (depending on how much exp is required) going to be a tad frustrating for people still working towards getting ace?

If the required exp amount or the means of earning it are going to be time-consuming, it'll be a bit bothersome to be starting from the bottom again.

I guess this is gonna be one of those "necessary evil" decisions where you can either leave people's rep, even if it was earned from the sort of spam upvotes you're trying to discourage, or make everyone start over, and possibly make things difficult for people who post at a slower pace and generally don't receive as much rep/don't get it as fast.

I'd be interested in what kind of server-related things would be involved in raising exp; from what mde said, the only way that other users can help one another gain it is through the rep system, so this means that all exp from the server would be solely given out by auth. In which case it sounds like that's going to be less easy than through posting on the forums, even with spam upvotes being discouraged/not as prevalent.

I knew I wasn't gonna reach the necessary post count before E16 without spamming posts, but had been hoping it wouldn't be all that much longer (before E17, in any case). Guess it'll be a long route 'til there after all. Don't get me wrong, I ain't gonna complain when it happens. Just a bit bummed that the decision not to try and get ace before E16 is about to bite me.

• Administrators

Privileges will still be differntiated, yes.

Anyway, there is one question that I've kept in mind: So, will donations have anything special behind them since we won't have rupees anymore? I really don't mind helping for the sake of helping, but I know some folks might like something for it~

Afraid not, no.

It risks less getting us in trouble that way anyway

So the exp system is basically just an easier to access version of the old Rep system? so can I give people exp for something I found helpful or will I have to contact a mod?

I will not say it is easier to access... also the rep system still exists and will contribute to EXP. However as staff we'll also be taking recommendations like "heyo this dude was super helpful to me with X it'd be cool if they got some EXP for it."
allowing users to do it directly would, as referenced elsewhere, be prime for abuse cases.

Since the sites being moved, will the old site just have a "Sorry the forums burned down and we're not gonna rebuild it" type joke or just a redirect to the new site?

If all goes well it'll redirect entirely, so if you go to pokemonreborn.com/forum/, it'll take you to the newurl.com/forum/ and so on.

how many tables will be used for the new site

on my part? not many probably! cuz the forum is better than that.

That can be biased, just like spamposting for rep is. Even worse, it speaks of no evolutions. How will one know they have enough EXP to level up?

1000 EXP is the threshold and the cap.

We're placing stricter limits on rep to make it worth more to avoid those spam posting cases too... however there will have to be a bit of subjectivity in the system naturally.

If it doesn't work out we can always tweak it too.

I do not have a specific time frame but the update will be before the community release.

quick question reguarding the new site and e16. will it be out be4 or after the new site launches?

Common sense would be after. As many people have already pointed out on various threads, it wouldn't make much sense to release E16 on the old website only for it to be taken down a few days later.

Common sense would be after. As many people have already pointed out on various threads, it wouldn't make much sense to release E16 on the old website only for it to be taken down a few days later.

in that case i look forward to the new website and E16

as staff we'll also be taking recommendations like "heyo this dude was super helpful to me with X it'd be cool if they got some EXP for it."

allowing users to do it directly would, as referenced elsewhere, be prime for abuse cases.

This requires some kind of interaction with the auth that is both direct and (preferably anonymous). How will this be handled? Will there be some kind of submission form that requires a post reference? Because someone going beyond the usual to say 'this person was a great help" is definitely beyond the norm.

How often do any of you fill out those "How did we do?" surveys at stores and restaurants that even reward doing so? Even when the person serving/helping you was awesome? This is the sort of thing that makes me feel a bit guilty later but not enough to make me do it. I feel like this method of earning/achieving ace will be under utilized.

If possible, could you make it a part of the reputation feature? Like when you go to +1 a post, could there be 2 options- I like this post or this post was helpful? Or even a third that proclaims the post as both? Can I also recommend some sort of tracking feature that shows an alert when such a thing happens for auth review, just as reports do? Or disable such things from counting in places like the wasteland? oh boy, all the details and methods of handing it... Glad I'm not auth and have to deal with this stuff seriously. Giving me more work 'n shit.

If possible, could you make it a part of the reputation feature? Like when you go to +1 a post, could there be 2 options- I like this post or this post was helpful?

One setup in threads allows users to pose questions. Answers may be upvoted and marked as helpful (similar to the system with Yahoo answers).

Can I also recommend some sort of tracking feature that shows an alert when such a thing happens for auth review, just as reports do? Or disable such things from counting in places like the wasteland? oh boy, all the details and methods of handing it... Glad I'm not auth and have to deal with this stuff seriously. Giving me more work 'n shit.

Do you mean an alert for Staff members upon a user's upvote of another's post, thread status, etc? I do know there is the pressing concern of users farming EXP, which is why auth interactivity with users and their EXP is key in preventing an unhealthy amount of upvoting. This is also why we will have the power to modify users' EXP. This is as new an enterprise for the passerby user as the frequent user, as the ace member, as the auth. We will likely be tweaking the system as we traverse it.

But is the new stuff going to retain this grey/black drapery or will there finally be a fresh coat of paint?

Could always use more green

I can see it displaying a much more lively scheme, one that reflects Ep16's new and rebuilt reborn city..

Maybe they will be released at the same time.. We might witness "The rebirth of reborn, both the city and the forum".. Such a poetic outcome.. :')

Edited by Aloha