Fire Emblem on the Forums: Sea of Crossroads [IC]

krim

Clarisse listened quietly as Rayne made her case, nodding occasionally. She waited for the somewhat ditzy Royal Guard to finish before she responded.

She considered for a few moments. While she wouldn't be joining the Royal Guards, she'd be traveling with them - and from what she'd heard, things tended to get dangerous around those types. The weight of her axe, strapped to her side, did enough to dispel the worry - she could defend herself. She was traveling anyway, and she'd used up most of her money paying for the repairs - that drunken Royal Guard (?) had caused a lot of property damage. She'd be expecting an apology and a thank you when the woman sobered up. Finally, Clarisse did have a sense of responsibility, and this girl was begging to be robbed in a city. Also, she was kinda cute. 

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFnZS5nb29nbGVhcGlzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy8yNDQzMjY5NzQ4NzU1MDA1NDUvMjg0MTE1NTc2NTUxMzc0ODUxL0VRQXpGeHkucG5nIn0.rCs8ZBEB1gWid1Mu8JEDlszcBm0

"Seeing how you can get lost in a town as small as this one... if I leave you to your own devices, my conscience will yell at me for a week. If you can convince your friends, I'd be happy to go with you. Probably more interesting traveling with people, anyway."

Emilee.png

"Why not, are you in a hurry? Just one song it doesn't have to be a long one." Emilee says with a pleading smile, and her hands together as if praying. "Do you know any tavern songs? I don't mean to be presumptuous but you seem like the type of guy who knows some nice songs of the people. The type that drunken sailors sing after long days, it's always so nostalgic."

cassfin12_by_ninjacyndaquil-db04x2q.png

"..." Cass almost wished that the blue haired dude would keep inquiring him about how he got the money, so long as he wouldn't have to actually play right now, because if he played, that green haired fellow was definitely gonna hear it. Oh and these assumptions on the woman's side were just great and flattering. Nevermind them actually being true, this was rude behavior.

cassfin11_by_ninjacyndaquil-db04sgu.png

"...300 Vespers and I'll play."

Emilee.png

"I... Don't have that much money I'm sorry." Emilee looked disheartened. "I really want to hear you play but I guess it will have to be for another day. I spent all my money on staves to help my companions. Sorry to keep you for so long, I didn't mean to be rude. Good luck with your music!" 

yDwxGVL.png

300 just to play a song, jeeze what a rip off. I guess that's how he got so much gold. Well, at least that's a what a thief wants you to think and it takes one to know one. If this guy really can play then I guess he won't turn down an offer.  "You know what fine, think of this as a gift Emilee. I have way more than 300 vespers on me in my coin pouch. He tapped on a pouch on his left side that did indeed have something inside it.  "So I'll pay you to play a song, but you'll get your money only AFTER you play. Play good enough and I may even give you double or triple what you asked for, just hurry up and don't keep this poor girl waiting."  

Myrdwyn slowed down a bit as she moved outside into the sunlight and such; it almost seemed like the light difference had stunned her for a moment or two as she adjusted. She heard Karik running after her, though, and stopped to turn and speak with him. 

IXSLaeI.png "Kid, what do you want? I'm tryin' to catch up to the other Guardsmen around here, I don't have time for someone to poke around at me."

Karik_Talk_to_Me_Merce.png

Karik quickly circled around the girl, stepping outside the bar as he faced her. He didn’t want to get in any trouble about being near alcohol. “Ye’re looking for the Royal Guard, right?” The pirate boy got onto his toes, trying to get a look at the fountain in the distance, noticing red, blue, and black hair near it.

“That must be them over there.” Karik reached his hand out, pointing towards the fountain. “They be that way. Ye can follow me, Aye’m sure you’ll look a bit less suspicious that way. I don't that wyvern of yours makes you very approachable.” Shrugging his shoulders with a grin on his face, Karik stepped back into the sunlight, covering his eyes to block the light. He began walking towards the meeting place, hoping the girl would follow him there.

3 hours ago, Twinwolf said:

"Seeing how you can get lost in a town as small as this one... if I leave you to your own devices, my conscience will yell at me for a week. If you can convince your friends, I'd be happy to go with you. Probably more interesting traveling with people, anyway."

VJoyE7Z.png

"Ah, stellar~" Rayne'd be mad at the instantiation she couldn't take care of herself but 1. She didn't really care, 2. It was true and 3. She was asking this cause of it anyway. She was glad though, but now she was going to have to convince the others.

"So, how do we convince them. Hmmm? Firstly we should start with your title. What do you do for me? We could just keep going with Guard Guard but that sounds too silly to be professional." she said placing her index finger to her chin. She quickly added under her breath loud enough that Clarisse could hear it, I'mma still call you that though hehe, between us. 

"But, assistant? Hmmm... sounds too much like you do paperwork or something. Who wants to do that? Ew. Professional Person Puncher? You must have a pretty killer left hook if that bar was the way it was after that kerfuffle. Or maybe that was the mini-tornado's doing..." she trailed off thinking about the tiny woman. Did she say something important? Rayne remembered her saying something vaguely important... but she couldn't place a finger on it. Oh well... she'd probably never see her again. She also vaguely remembered that kid. Probably never see him ever again either, thanks for taking the bullet though buddy!

"Hmmm bodyguard? That's an actual job. And it makes you sound gruff! Grrrr!" Rayne did her best flex to accompany the growl. "It also still has the word guard in it so you can still be my Guard Guard! Hmmm, it's perfect! That sound like a plan to you?"

Clarisse couldn't help but stifle a giggle at the "guard-guard" comment - it was funny, after all.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFnZS5nb29nbGVhcGlzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy8yNDQzMjY5NzQ4NzU1MDA1NDUvMjg0MTE1NTc2NTUxMzc0ODUxL0VRQXpGeHkucG5nIn0.rCs8ZBEB1gWid1Mu8JEDlszcBm0

"Yeah... no paperwork. Mom tried to have me do enough of that back home... I like bodyguard. It also has the benefit of being pretty much true, so. Bodyguard it is. Apart from that, you'll need to explain why you need one, being a Royal Guard and all. Maybe mention the whole thing about getting lost easily, note that you don't want to make the other guards deal with that when they have important duties, so on? I'm guessing you guys will be in plenty of towns and you mentioned your pegasus not really liking people so I'm guessing my 'services' would be used a lot."

Edited by Twinwolf

KkPQGBp.png

" Good, paperwork suuuucks. Also, I'm pretty sure they are aware, but yes I'll go with that if they ask. Well... if I remember too. You should probably keep that one on hand." It was true, Rayne was bad at remembering. It'd probably be for the best if Clarisse did keep it in mind. She was, probably well aware of that fact though.

"Oh hey! That's them over there! Or... some of them at least. Some must be still out and about!" Rayne able to pick out Cade from far aware. She easily remembered what the girl looked like due to her need to design her coat. She burned the image into her mind so that she wouldn't forget. It was a great hook to remember at least something. It made her remember that she found the perfect thread.

She waved at her before running up to her. "Cade! Hey! Hey! Hey! I found the perfect thread for your jacket!" she seemed like an excited little puppy almost the way she was bouncing up and down. She held the spool up so that Cade could not only see it but witness that it sparkled like fire, just the same as her jacket did. And Rayne's eye, perfectly matched the colour. It was... uncanny what her sense of colour was. In her excitement though she sorta forgot to mention Clarisse... oops?

IXSLaeI.png "Suspicious? I'm a royal guard, I'm the opposite a' suspicious. Or does 'plate armor and giant dopey flying lizard' fit your definition of sneaky?" She looked back at Karik questioningly. She headed toward the fountain that he indicated, though, and once she turned her head toward them she waved her hand in a broad arc above her head to get their attention.

"Hey! Are you the Royal Guard? I'm s'posed ta meet up with you."

300...600...900? And these two knew each other-of course they did. Cass was unwillingly willing to take a chance right there only because of how ridiculous a sum this guy was offering. He couldn't trick this one, though-something told me he knew how to keep his investments in check.

cassfin2_by_ninjacyndaquil-db013sb.png

"...tch, alright, alright. I'll do it." Now what kinda drunken sailor song would this lady like? She said it would feel nostalgic to her? What the even...was she supposed to be a drunken sailor herself?

He took the guitar off his back, thinking for a moment which tune to play. Soon enough, he grinned.

It was time to save his sorry ass and pull himself out of this mess.

He turned to the woman named Emilee.

cassfin5_by_ninjacyndaquil-db02tsg.png

"You've gotta sing though, unless you wanna hear what a chicken sounds like after a wyvern's landed on it."

Clarisse sticks a bit back as Rayne approaches her comrades - she doesn't want to interrupt, and she'll introduce herself when Rayne's done with her conversation. She didn't seem to notice the aggressive dwarf from earlier, or if she did was not showing it.

mL7PRjM.png

As sure as the sun rises, more and more began to show up eventually. Quite a few in fact, actually... from her count, it seemed they even had a few extras, strange... just what had this lot gotten into? Before she could do much to inquire about the new arrivals though, Rayne's excited beeline stole the brunt of her attention away.

11 hours ago, Hukuna the Undying said:

KkPQGBp.png

"Cade! Hey! Hey! Hey! I found the perfect thread for your jacket!

Z0hN2Ba.png

"Huh- oh... that..." To be terribly, after all that had happened, their conversation during the raid had completely slipped her mind. As she looked at the thread the rider carried in her hand though, she couldn't help but be genuinely impressed. It was indeed an exact match to what her Father had originally commissioned the coat out of, so many years ago during his youth. Hells, thinking about it, the iron plates lining it had only been added a few years ago, but the garment itself was probably older than she was... probably older than any of her sisters too, even Ingrid.

XKATa1N.png

"Well... I'm surprised Rayne. This.... my father always said it was almost hellish trying to get enough thread like that for a coat. Apparently, not many spinsters knew how to make their threads shine with the hue of hot embers, or had the skill to do it, even fewer wanted to part with it without a king's ransom...

cWxIdd2.png

In fact, he even tried to make it himself out of frustration, but however they did it, it was beyond him. Ended up just scorching all the spools instead of infusing them with vibrancy... maybe literal fire wasn't quite what he should've told the anima to conjure, but... it had seemed like the best idea to him at the time-"

10 hours ago, Adamance Ascendant said:

IXSLaeI.png 

"Hey! Are you the Royal Guard? I'm s'posed ta meet up with you."

JJQ28EM.png

"Oh, right... there's other stragglers too. Now isn't the time for stories" giving a sigh that was only really audible to Rayne, she turned away from one rider and shifted her focus to the other. She'd already taken due note of the Wyvern earlier... and his rider's height. Or lack thereof. Did she even come up to Cade's shoulder? No matter, she herself had already proven that things as stature and gender didn't matter when your enemies were too busy dying or cowering on the ground as hostages, and if this woman had been dispatched to find them, it at least meant they hadn't been forgotten during this whole fiasco. There was some comfort in that, however... small.

"Aye, we're the one's you're looking for." she answered simply. "I take it from the wyvern, you were sent as a search envoy? We were on course to our orders on Kabumu just a few days ago... but things went awry from there. And have kept going awry ever since...look, it's a long story, you can talk to the Captain later, for now I need to gather and brief everyone before these damn thieves or whatever the hell they are return and cause even more headaches...."

"Speaking of which, where the hell did the rogue go? Bastard knows I need everyone to be here..."

Emilee.png

Emilee's eyes lit up as Belros offered to pay. She didn't say thank you, she obviously couldn't instead she nodded in his direction with a smile. "I can give it a shot! I think I remember 'The Drunk and Merry Bunch' the best. Can you play that one?" She asks, enthusiastic and giddy as a child. 

cassfin_by_ninjacyndaquil-dazzp1r.png

"Anything you'd like, sweetheart. And three, and two, and..." Cass smirked and began stroking at the guitar strings, proving to the pesky blue-haired guy that he could indeed play very very well and that he was totally not a thieving brute.

He was sorta worried the guitar would sell his position but hey, so long as all the other noise at the plaza served to deafen his own music and prevented it from reaching the green dude (who was hopefully not anywhere near the fountain), he was happy to play, even more so 'cause of that sweet reward smiling at him.

Emilee.png

Emilee tapped on her staff along with the guitarists count keeping a slow rhythm with light taps. She cleared her throat and let a full compass pass by before she began. 

"Drunk and merry we are friend,

When the casks run without end,

Drinking singing all night long,

The Drunk and Merry Bunch

Sailors and ruffians, scum alike! 

All of them happy after a pint

There is no sleeping until dawn,

For The Drunk and Merry Bunch

So if you come in to our bar,

Come and sit and sing along,

A little drinking will do no wrong!

For The Drunk and Merry Bunch!"

Emilee finished the song smiling brightly. "Thank you so much sir... I'm sorry I don't think I got your name! I'm Emilee by the way, I loved the song. It reminded me of home." 

yDwxGVL.png

Alright, the bait has been taken now for the real-in. After the man finished playing his song Belros slowly claps for the man.  "That was some nice pretty nice playing, now for your payment." He grabs the satchel on his left side and opens it.  "Oh, it looks like this isn't my coin pouch, rather its my medicine pouch. Must've left my actual pouch at the fountain." He beckons the two over to the fountain,  "Come with me and your payment awaits." He walks over to the fountain once more hoping the man will follow behind.

Whaddayaknow, turns out this wasn't such a big waste of time or a horrible risk, as the girl herself was still quite trusting and sang well enough. Cass looked at her as she directed her question, bowing slightly.

cassfin_by_ninjacyndaquil-dazzp1r.png

"It's Casserole. Beef Casserole. But you can call me Cass. And it was my pleasure playing for you."

Of course, as he let his guard down with the lady, he'd totally forgotten about the blue dude, whose snarky clap was more than enough to bring Cass back to his senses, his 'really annoyed after such a shitty turn of events' senses.

cassfin3_by_ninjacyndaquil-db016ab.png

"Seriously? Fine." He answers the man bluntly. Come on, there was nothing he could really lose by going to the fountain. Unless this guy had a bunch of friends waiting by it that were gonna jump at his throat in the middle of the day on a busy plaza. So unbenknownst to the fact that at the fountain sat a certain green haired fellow, Cass followed Belros over to it.

tumblr_inline_okf1wlac4g1sg2hsu_100.png

Soon enough, the group fills out to something like it's usual size -- with the addition of a couple people he's never seen before. Curious, Idei has been watching the exchange between the fencer, the pegasus knight, and this new girl he doesn't recognize, when yet another group meanders their way over. And the one with them --

He starts slightly, though externally it amounts to little more than a few rapid blinks. The man with the guitar. Why would he show himself again when just moments before he had disappeared, making off with three hundred of his vespers? And accompanied by their healer and B . . . Be . . . the blue-haired spy. Do they know each other?  No, it doesn't seem like it.

Maybe any other man would have stood up and approached the musician -- demanded his money back or called him out for being a crook or made some sort of scene -- but though it's clear he recognizes him, Idei moves to do neither. While three hundred vespers isn't a light sum, he had offered them of his own free will; the fact that they had been taken without his being able to hear the music he had wanted . . . is disappointing, but not worth starting a fight over. Instead, he simply nods to his two allies with him to acknowledge their arrival before returning to waiting for their Commander to return.

55 minutes ago, Adamance Ascendant said:

SNIzbR0.png

"Yup. Y'all were a massive pain on the ass to find, ya know that? Still, I did catch up, so that's that. Also, thieves? Does that mean we get to knock some heads around?" 

Z0hN2Ba.png

"Yes, unfortunately," Cadence sighed, noticing the wobble. Infact, from the direction this group had come from... "Though in all honesty, I think it more appropriate they lose their heads altogether. Just to be sure. One question though, you seem a bit unsteady... If I were a fool, I'd blame it on your armor, but you've probably gotten more than used to it's weight, if you're experienced enough that they choose you to come out here alone and see if we were still alive. You haven't been... drinking, by any chance, have you?"

yDwxGVL.png

"Hey everyone, I brought Emilee and her friend over." He spoke up smugly,  "And by friend, I mean a suspicious person that maybe with the thieves we're looking for." He pointed his finger at Cass keeping a close eye on him.  "I'm not 100% sure on that but by the way he's acting he's definitely guilty of something."