Fire Emblem on the Forums: Sea of Crossroads [IC]

krim

Emilee.png

She was lost in her songs and melodies, not thinking of the world around her. She was, until a large thud and a flying man interrupted her concentration. "Eek!" Emilee screamed in surprise backing up against the tree. It took her a moment to realize that the flying man wasn't an enemy or a monster, it was Belros! "Belros is that you? Goddess gracious, are you hurt!?" Emilee got closer to inspect him, with her hand brushing hair away from his face to find any wounds. "You're bleeding, hold on." Emilee walked back to the tree and searched inside a burlap bag. Inside she found what she was looking for; a small pouch with rags, herbs, and a bottle of wine. She wrapped the herbs in a rag, and then soaked it in wine. "Stand still this might sting."  Lightly she pressed the rags against Belros' forehead wiping away the blood, and cleaning it. "Honestly, climbing up trees. Don't you know that's dangerous? What if you got really really hurt and I wasn't here?" Emilee scolded, putting on her most 'big sister-ly' voice.

Normal

Belros was feeling a bit confused by all of this. He was expecting more of an angered response but what he got instead was a rather nice one. He wasn't complaining mind you just a plesant surprise.  "Heh, sorry about scaring you like that. I was keeping watch over the camp in the trees when you came over." He paused for a bit, reluctant to continue.  "Then you came over and started singing and I guess I was falling for it." He face went a bit pink in embarrassment and he scratched the back of his head.   "I didn't want to disturb you so I tried to sneak away and you see how that went. Though most of the time when I'm sneaking in the trees I don't fall out. Ha ha ha. Thanks for patching me up though and not immediately getting mad."  

Darius_Anstane.png

Rayne's words surprised Darius. He never considered himself a good person, not after that one day...even his reasons for joining the Royal Guard seemed selfish...perhaps even cruel. Despite that, ever since he did join, his fascination with seeing others in, and inducing pain unto, seemed to have diminished a bit, as he started encountering scenarios where he could not take pleasure in such moments. Despite that, he did not consider himself a good person.

And yet, to hear Rayne claim otherwise...he did not want to leave because he did not want to abandon those he had to work with. He had no real reason to do so...even if it meant staying away from others. And yet...here he is, being comforted, being told things he himself did not believe. And...he did feel like many of the things he's been through really were because he was lonely...

Darius closed his eyes and listened to Rayne's tune. It felt...weird. Soothing. Something he never really experienced before.

"...thank you. Thank you for not letting me be alone. Perhaps it's true, maybe I am like I am because I was always lonely..." the shaman spoke out.

KkPQGBp.png

"Well, you have me at least. You're not alone anymore. I knew what it was like to be alone or at least feel alone. It wasn't... very pleasant. So, I won't let that happen, no matter what the others think.~" after those words she just went back to her humming. She went back to just spacing out and enjoying the moment.

Emilee.png

"Oh you heard me sing huh..." Emillee looked the other way with a slight smile. "That was a song from my church days. I singing it so I wouldn't forget it." She put away the herbs, the bottle and the rags back in their place. "All done!" The sister exclaims. She then flicks Belros on the forehead lightly. "That is for eavesdropping on me without my permission. It's rude you know." 

Normal

Belros flinched as Emilee flicked him.  "Hey it's not my fault you just so happened to walk by where I was." He defended himself.  "Hey, if you don't mind me asking what did you do before joining the royal guard, like how was working at a church? You don't have to answer, it's just you made me curious." He politely asked the maiden not expecting a response but he was genuinely curious.

Zn4783x.png

"What was he doing up there to begin with, watching for the bandits we already killed? Or was he just eavesdropping?" Cadence' attention had been briefly drawn by the snapping of branches and heavy thud in the distance. Though it only took a few moments of watching the rogue and the priest banter before she had to turn away from it all. A bit too much like Meeyla, that one. Except well, as naive as her sister's kindness made her seem at times, the woman was probably sharper than any of the other three of them... afterall, it was always her who busted the illusions and lies Cade crafted to get out of training, like a hammer to stained glass.

Hells, In a way, she seemed almost the perfect foil to Ingrid. Never having to try to ferret out deceit or search for what was hidden beneath the surface, she simply saw it plain as day. She didn't have to search out the truth, because the truth was incapable of ever truly hiding itself from her, sought her out even.

Yet she never used it to her own advancement. It always puzzled Cadence, how the woman could simultaneously be so incisive and shrewd and yet have the fangs as dull as an old hund who'd grown fat off of table scraps and soft from constantly playing with the master's grankids. What good was such an adept ability to see through the veil of falsehood if she seldom bothered to turn it against another person? Use it as leverage?

Or maybe... maybe she did, in her own ways. Perhaps Cade herself only saw the most obvious side, the tip of a massive iceberg waiting below. Either way, she'd probably never know one way or another if so. She had no intent of returning to that Household, she doubted she'd see any of her sisters again... on good terms anyway. In that darkened space, that nook between life and death, father had asked her to stay and finish what he'd started... fine. For him, and him alone, she would honor the request. But as far as she was concerned, she was no Albus, not anymore; She had seen all too well what the family name truly stood for, how the Paragons of the Light could be just as, if not even more deplorable than the many vices they so often accused the Denizens of the Dark of. It did not matter whose blood had to spilt, who had to be shunned or condemned, who or what stood in their way. loyalty was a farce to them, blood was as thin as water, and past service and reputation meant nothing if you made even the slightest of steps towards what lies shrouded in the dark, for the road to hell was paved in good intentions, and the blood of the good men who once held them

The Fanatic had taught her that lesson in one painful, fell swoop; she had engraved it into both her body and mind alike, eternal as stone.

Cadence had no intention of learning it again. 

She shook her head, trying to clear it all away. She had more immediate issues, there was no point dwelling on what she couldn't change now, or have ever changed, really. She looked down at the shield in her lap for the first time in a long while; just as with both Merc Boi's sword and her own blade, the thing shined so pure she could see her own reflection in it's face. The rag and oil went away, back into the folds of the Brigandine, and she hefted the thing up. Light, took no real effort at all to carry, through such things were the hallmarks of a buckler, really. She'd not trained with that particular style of fencing- sword in one hand, buckler in the other, but given the rabble they'd faced so far, first a gaggle of suicidal pirates and then a throng of moronic bandits, she wasn't much concerned about it. That coat wasn't getting any lighter, nor the burden it placed on her true speed any lesser, but without the protection of the many iron plates woven into it, and Smitty's hardwork... she'd be dead already. She knew it. Grandad may have always said armor was for cowards, that a true warrior acknowledges combat as a deadly dance between equals, each prepared and fully willing to seize the life of the other as prize at even the slightest mistep... but she didn't care. In fact, she may have never cared about that particular principle at all.

She was no Albus anymore. She was her father's daughter, the child of Ramza, the Silver Sage. No more, no less. She would be bound by neither their biases, nor their rules, and as she slipped the small shield onto her forearm, there was in truth some regret and longing, for though they did not care, blood had meant something to her, resolving to break that sentiment did not come without it's own brand of heartache, it could not possibly have. 

But beyond the regret, beyond the longing, beyond the flashes of her sister's faces and her memories of Smitty, the old fool's dementia be damned, he was quite well the closest thing to a true friend she'd really had, there burned something stronger. Freedom. However slight, however contrived by the circumstances of how she had arrived in this whole situation to begin with, still, it shined like a beacon, just the mere taste of it. and in it's immaculate twilight, she saw just it was she had missed, all this time. Like the foolish girl she had been. For the very choice she made now was proof positive of the matter...

It didn't matter if they told her she had no decision, or made it seem like she didn't. They had controlled her, only because she decided... she would bow to their control. They had controlled her, only because it took a violent reckoning and the blood and tears such entailed for her to realize that she could not hope to escape if she never even tried, and steeled the resolve to push beyond the boundary of the unknown, even if only to preserve her own life. She had lived her life till then without choice because for the longest time, she'd let them make the choices for her. 

She had no one to blame here but her own self. Her own weakness. If she'd wanted her freedom back, all she had ever had to do was take it, even if she lacked the strength to do so by force, there had always been other ways, other methods. Methods she had ignored not because she had been blind to them, but because she chose to not consider them sooner.

And as Cadence looked into that Buckler, and saw the young woman that stared back at her, she knew... she could never let herself forget how simple it was to remain free, even when it seemed so utterly complex and impossible.

And not a word was piped by the Anima. Silent as church mouse before a benediction, almost as if sensing the subtle magnitude of the otherwise simple act of the girl who, for all intents and purposes, was their master so long as their old one was away.

And there she stayed, staring into the reflection, as the fire crackled and the camp bustled with the life and activity of her comrades all around...

Cadence uses the Iron Shield

Emilee.png

"I worked as a waitress." Emilee answered. "There's no reason why I wouldn't answer, I loved my job as a waitress too. It was a very small tavern but it was always full with regulars. I could recite the name of everyone of our patrons, and they all called for me. They were also very patient with me, even when I was younger and I broke plates, everyone smiled and helped me out." She smiled, remembering the warm memories of the past. "What about you? What did you do before joining the Guard."

oFAdgyX.png

Belros grew a big grin. "Oh so you want to know bout me? Alright, but it'll take some explaining. So as a kid I used to be a pickpocket, steeling gold and jewelry from any sap on the streets who looked like a prime target. Though soon I learned steeling from people was wrong, because many others were going through poverty just like myself so I stopped being a pickpocket." He paused to make it seem like it was the end of the story, to make it seemed like he changed but,  "So instead I decided to steel only from the rich. But with their huge supply of wealth it was going to be near impossible to do it alone so I joined a thieve's guild."

g2cS3ep.png

His eyes glow as he remembers the good times there.  "Let me tell you I sure did have some good times there. Most everyone was super nice to me when I join, there was even someone who-" He stopped almost immediately and his happy smile and tone wiped away.

QZP0uO6.png

"I-I think I said too much. Sorry for everything... I should go." He seemed almost dead, no emotion other than what seemed like regret. He turned around and started slowly walking back to camp. Hopefully before morning he'll forget again.

• Upvote 1

Emilee.png

Emilee listened to him intently, and with a serious look on her face. "Wait!" She said, grabbing a hold of Belros arm pulling him back slightly until he was facing her. The sister flicked her finger against his forehead again, deliberately aiming for where he hit his head earlier. "How could you Belros!? Stealing is bad!" Emilee scolded, seemingly oblivious to Belros mental state or the story that could put him in such a mood. "No matter if they are good people or bad people, rich or poor you did a very wrong thing. I'm glad your turned over to honest work now; Goddess forgive you... Stealing from others" 

QZP0uO6.png

Belros face went from regretful sadness to anger real quick as he lost control of his emotions. He responded furiously to Emilee.  "Tell me how long are you gonna keep being an innocent little princess, Emilee? Not everyone is a dandy little angel who can do no wrong. I stole to live, you get that? That means without it I would've kicked the bucket long ago. So when I see the select few people with hoards of money in their coffers it turns my stomach." Belros spat on the ground.  How could they watch as kids starve out on the street I know I couldn't. So we robbed them of their wealth and it's not like they were using it. Hell most of them just keep it in piles as it all collects dust. You want to know what we did with the money we stole? We fed those staving children so they wouldn't have to go stealing themselves. The same children that most rich folk scoff at in their pristine coaches. So don't go talking to me about right and wrong. I know it is wrong to steal but is it wrong to want to save people from starving to death? Oh, and by the way, if I could I would gladly go back to that life. Don't think for a second that I wouldn't. I'm here for one reason and one reason alone. Once I've completed what I came here to do I'm done with this whole royal guard thing."

• Upvote 1

Emilee.png

Emilee looked down at the ground with a sad expression. This speech made no sense to her, his arguments made no sense. And she voiced her opinion after he was done: "No." Was her reply. "You are a great man for wanting to help others. But I refuse to believe stealing was the only option. You are talented Belros, and that is why you are here. and..." Emilee took a deep breath. The next thing she'd say was going to be one of the meanest thing she'd ever say. She had to mentally prepare for it. "AND if you really want to go back to a life of stealing than I don't want to talk to you! If you willingly keep doing wrong things, then you are a wrong person. Or... Since you help other people I guess that makes you a neutral person. But there are many ways of fighting, and many ways of doing things. And you still make the wrong choice so you are just... Just so.... so stupid!" It seemed to be hard to even say that last word, as if it pained her to even insult someone else. 

QZP0uO6.png

Belros shrugged,  "Then I guess I'm just stupid." He remarked sarcastically,  "I know as much as anyone how stupid I am. But like I said I would gladly go back if I could, but I can't anymore so you're welcome. I probably won't be able to go back for a long time if ever." He let out a long sigh. Why was he here? Why did he think he'd find what he was looking for with them? Oh well, there could be worse things out there.  "I can understand if you don't want to talk to people like me, so if by your leave I'll gladly go somewhere else. Just remember I'll be there on the battlefield, and so long as we're still on the same side I'll keep protecting you. I'm not the type of guy to go back on my word nor will I betray the group, so if that's what you fear don't. But I can't change who I am as much as you may dislike. So could you let me make my mistakes in peace?"

• Upvote 1

Emilee.png

Emilee just looked at Belros for a while. She had so many words to say, but none of them would come out. And her pride wouldn't let her speak anyways. So instead Emilee wrapped her arms around Belros in a hug. It was a short hug, that barely lasted a second. She walked back to the tree and picked up her things. She faced the tree as if talking to it. "I'm going to protect everyone. Because people in the guard are good people. Even if they did bad things in the past, they can be good people now." She said firmly and loudly. "People can change. The bandits, the pirates, the trees. Everyone can change for the better." Emilee told the tree, and then walked back to camp with her things not looking at Belros again. 

IZOAanT.png

Belros was surprised that Emilee decided to hug him after all that. They were just fighting after all.  "Was she just talking to a tree instead of me just now?" He thought to himself as she walk away. He went back up into a tree sitting on a branch and back leaning on the trunk. He let out a long annoyed sigh. 

QZP0uO6.png

"Everyone can change huh. Sure we can change, but change is not always a good thing. I shouldn't let that conversation get to me, I just need to focus on my objective. But dammit if Emilee didn't sound almost like her with all her scolding." He shook his head back and forth repeatedly,  "No, what I think I need is some good night sleep to get my mind off things." He stood on the branch ready to jump off the tree, but stopped and turned his head to the tree trunk.  "You don't think I'm stupid do you?" As if the tree was trying to give a response he heard the branch underneath him start to snap, however he was not gonna fall on his face again. He jumped off right before it could break.  "Alright I get the memo, jeez even the plant life don't want me around..." He headed back to camp to get some much needed rest.

Chapter 2: Chance Meetings

Year 1638, 21th of Vembra

Having rested up after the skirmish with the bandits, the party continued traveling towards Gateon Port. It took them an additional day, but they eventually got to the port town. The sea breeze had started to blow in, and the markets around the area all had some form of traffic. At the center of the market plaza, a fountain was present, along with many street performers. One could also hear what sounded like a guitar playing as well, but it was hard to tell with all the chatter present in the area.

Madante_New.png

"I must say, I didn't expect such a busy marketplace all the way out here. Though I guess it makes sense since this is a port town. At any rate, I'm going to look into where some of the outgoing ships are going. With any luck, one of them should be going towards our original destination. In the meantime, I think it would be a fine idea for you all to check out the town and markets. Perhaps they have some useful equipment or some other goods we may need later," Madante says before giving the party some money. 

((All player units receive 1500 vespers!))

"Once you've finished your business, we can meet up at the fountain, then head towards the boat that will take us closer to our objective. Until then, enjoy!" Madante cheers as he runs off in search of information on the boat schedules.

Looking around, the party can see a bar, and a pawn shop nearby it. Some clothing shops can also be seen, along with a set of shops that contains an assortment of weapons. Closer to the fountain, a shop labeled "SSSS" can be seen, with what appears to be staffs and other healing items. Elsewhere, a general magics store can be seen.

Karik_Lets_do_this.png

Letting in a deep breath, Karik enjoyed the rather cheerful atmosphere of Gateon Port. The smell of the sea salt was enjoyable for the young boy. The fountain in the center quickly caught his attention, his legs quickly taking him to it. The little kid in him wanted to jump into the fountain, splash around for fun. Sadly, he didn’t exactly have a set of clothes to wear if he got his cloak soaked. Reaching into his pocket, Karik pulled out a coin, tossing it into the fountain. “Safe travels, please. All Aye wish for.”

His thoughts did remind the boy of something he needed. Looking at his rather dirty rags, he did need a new set of clothes. Maybe something that’d probably help him out in battle better than some red cloth. Checking the coins in his pocket, Karik waved away from the group, heading to the closest clothing store, passing by a rather noisy bar on his way.

Darius_Anstane.png

Darius, upon receiving the money, thought about what he needed to get. He was used to traveling light, so rarely did he bring more then the bare essentials.

As he excused himself from the group, he walked forward. Even after his talk with Rayne, he still felt a little burdened. Both figuratively, and literally. The Flux tome he had been using felt heavy enough that it impacted his combat ability. Deciding that he might want to search for a lighter alternative, as a "just in case" precaution, he wandered over to the general magics store.

Karik finds a general purpose clothing store, which has an assortment of clothes for both men and women. The shop itself only has a few people present, and the shopkeeper is behind the counter chatting with one of the customers.

-----------

Darius enters the magic shop, and finds a collection of tomes throughout the store. Near the cashier table, the list of prices for available tomes is present.

Price List:

Spoiler

Fire- 400
Singe- 400
Elfire- 800
Wind- 400
Gale- 400
Thunder- 400
Static- 400
Lightning- 400
Photon- 400
Shine- 800
Banish- 400
Ray- 400
Blessed Iron- 400
Light Screen- 400
Flux- 400
Worm- 400
Carrion- 800
Swarm - 400
Hustle- 400

Besides the cashier, there is another women in the shop, dressed in what seems to be noble attire. She looks at the newcomer with a bit of interest, but says nothing.

Darius_Anstane.png

Darius perused the various dark magic tomes. One in particular caught his eye. He picked up the Worm tome and felt it around. He could sense that it is not quite as powerful as the Flux tome he had been using, but, at the same time, he felt it being lighter. He tried carrying it around for a little bit, before the shopkeeper told him to either buy the tome or put it down. In the few moments he held it, though, the shaman felt that the tome would not burden him down. Thus, this was an easy decision to make. He brought it over to the counter and pulled out the puch of money he had been given.

"I'll be buying this." he spoke out before placing 400 Vespers on the counter alongside the book.

Darius purchases a Worm tome for 400 Vespers.

tumblr_inline_okf1wlac4g1sg2hsu_100.png

Another boat . . . ? Idei sighs internally, not eager to get back on one of those things after having just started being comfortable on land again. He looks to Kite apologetically, though of course the horse has no idea of the ordeal he's going to be going through again. "It'll be all right," he says, running a hand down the stallion's strong neck. When the time came, he would deal with it then. For now . . .

Turning about, he looks from side to side, taking in all the stores and rows of buildings in the marketplace, bustling and lively. It's not like the capital, but it's still busier than what he's been used to for most of his life, and he doesn't realize until then how much he has been enjoying traveling with the others, if at least to be out of crowded places like the city. Taking Kite's reins in his hand, he leads the horse along as he searches for a place that might look like it sells tack, or materials to make some. Some kind of place with hardware and tools should do, right?

Once he finds a place that looks suitable, he fastens Kite's reins to a post out front and, with a few words to behave himself while he's gone, he steps inside to look around for workable materials he can use to fashion a new saddle.

Inside of the shop is a cheery lady behind the counter. "Welcome to the SSSS, where we handle all of your healing needs. What can I get you miss?" the lady asks in a polite tone. Behind her, the list of items and prices can be found.

Price List:

Spoiler

Heal- 400
Antidote- 400
Soothe- 800
Sleep- 400
Poison- 400
Unlock- 400
Barrier- 800
Hermes' Whistle- 400
Blissful Melody- 400
Soldier's Drum- 400
Charming Flute- 400
Surprising Shimy- 400
Subtle Jynx- 400
Enamouring Step- 800
Vulnerary- 250

--------------------------------

"Thank you for your business," the shopkeeper replied, taking the money. The woman in the shop glanced over to the shaman once again before speaking.

"Dark magic? Using it for research?" the woman asks.

JJQ28EM.png

The town was better established than she'd thought a little hovel in the middle of the podunk, nowhere would be. She had to admit, she was impressed, it may have still been small, but it could've easily been mistaken for a district of any of the larger merchant cities on appearance alone, if one didn't know better. Walking away from the fountain, swords sheathed at either side and buckler on her back, she scanned the market place again. Though a vulnerary could be useful... well no, that was too little credit- those small vials saved lives, as unassuming as they often were. Karik's injury had proven that much. Though from the spirits indignant chatting, she had to admit, they'd had just as much a role in getting him stabilized as the medicine had- without them, he'd probably have bleed out before she even administered it...

Hmmm... no, no, she'd think about it more later perhaps, but they did have a point. Her luck may have been far from the best thus far, but the Spirits would likely do their very best to keep alive, hell or high water. She turned her gaze from the apothecary, eyes passing from one stall and shop to another. Lances, axes, bows... swords... all of them, made a bitter taste well in her throat the longer she looked. 

But then she saw the magic shop, and the bile receded as she sighed. As much as she wanted to browse, as much as the Anima might do at her request on raw talent and their inherent favoritism alone, that still didn't change the fact she'd no actual training in using a tome proper. She could open one and read it with as much fluency as any scholar, even likely understand most of whatever the incantations transcribed within pertained to... but properly focusing the power of the book itself so the spirits could use it...was another thing... something she wasn't experienced with in the slightest. Hell, if she tried to invoke any spell from one of them, she'd be more likely to destroy the area immediately around her, and anyone unfortunate enough to be in it, than the actual target she aimed for.

With the spirits giving their condolences, practically proof that her hypothesis would've proven right if she tried, she turned her eyes to final two places. A pub and a pawnshop.  as much as she felt disgusted at the mere idea of having to use physical weapons, a set of throwing knives would be useful for taking out violent morons without leaving the cover of forest, more than either of the blades already on her side, but she doubted she'd find them in the bottom of a tankard, and the Sword shop had none on display... odd, if they had any in stock.

Without a word, Cadence finally made her choice, and headed off towards the pawn shop adjacent.

Entering the pawn shop, Cadence finds an assortment of knives and other items. The man behind the counter looks at Cadence for a moment, then smiles a bit.

"Welcome to the pawn shop. Here to buy or here to sell?" the man ask. In the display case, certain items and their prices could be seen.

Price List:

Spoiler

Iron Dagger- 400
Iron Knife- 400
Parrying Knife- 800
Lockpick- 250

Chest Key-150

Door Key-150