Fire Emblem on the Forums: Sea of Crossroads [IC]

krim

"I see...so you are primarily accustomed to dark magic then. I suppose that makes this trip worthwhile then. Finding someone versed in dark magic at all is a very tough sell in the main two islands, and while the others do have some practitioners, finding them is a pain. Usually they are in hiding for one reason or another. Which makes my attempts at doing comprehensive reports of all types of magic VERY difficult," the woman sighs, clearly having gone through quite a bit. "Doesn't make it better that the boat schedules have been all out of whack for the last few days. I was supposed to be back home by now and continuing my research. That being said, since you're here, are you willing to answer a few questions for me?" she pleads with Darius, her eyes showing signs of curiosity.

cassfin6_by_ninjacyndaquil-db02u4s.png

"Bwu-" ...300? Well, didn't this just escalate quickly. It's not exactly easy to find people willing to simply give 300 Vesps to a randomg street performer just to get them to play for you. Was this guy really into that saggy song from earlier? Sad, but might as well take advantage of that.

"Ahem..."

cassfin5_by_ninjacyndaquil-db02tsg.png

"Hah!" Cass laughed as he looked at the guy swinging around his pouch. "300 ain't nearly enough to get me to really play. But alright, alright, you got me, I'll give you a demonstration when you're so eager. Real magic of this kind ain't a cheap deal, y'know."

Grabbing hold of the guitar once again, Cass took a moment to prepare himself this time. Cracking his fingers, he held them above the strings, when a couple of sparks flew from the tips, barely noticeable.

"Ready or not, here it goes..."

All it took was one stroke at the strings for a flash to burst from the intrument and a large, booming sound to echo through the busy street. It still sounded like a guitar but much much louder, a seemingly electrified noise that charged one's muscles and reinvigorated their will. Everyone at the plaza would have been able to hear the music-it was easily much louder than anything any one of those other pathetic street performers could muster. However, this time it had been used as a distraction and, as soon as the booming sound was gone, Idei would find that the pouch he'd been holding out was also gone as well as the man who'd played the guitar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cass ran past the fountain, happy that he now had two pouches full o' coins around his belt.

Darius_Anstane.png

"Well, I have time, I don't see why no-wait, what did you say about the boat schedules? There's something wrong with them?" Darius inquired. They needed to get a boat, but to hear that the schedules are messed up confused him: Why would that be the case?

Emilee.png

Emilee jigged and jumped through town, her healing staff on her back but two brand news staffs in her hands. Her overjoyed self barely crashed into a stranger as she passed. "Oops, I need to be more careful..." As she ran towards the fountain she spotted her companions. "Hey everyone! Look at what I bough-" Her cheerful declaration of her purchases were brought to a quick and abrupt end as she crashed into a large red haired man.  She fell to the floor on her back and clutched her head. She slowly got back up. "Ow... Ow ow ow... Oh my Goddess are you okay!? I'm so sorry!" Emilee got on her knees to inspect who she'd crashed into. "Did I hurt you, I'm so so sorry!"

"Apparently someone messed around with the internal schedules at the docks over by the east side of the port. I was supposed to leave 3 days ago, but when I went over to ask about the outgoing boats, none of them could give me a straight answer. And after a bit of waiting I realized that all of the boat arrival times were all wrong. AND to top it off, when a boat finally did come, it wasn't even the boat mentioned in the schedule. So yes, if you are also trying to catch one of the boats, I'd be a bit careful if I were you," she explains, somewhat frustrated.

Here Cass was, just minding his own business running away from a guy he just kinda robbed but also kinda didn't (hey, the man was asking for some music in return and Cass obliged), when he felt something bumping into and off of him, so he stopped to look what it was. It took him a moment to realize it was some woman.

cassfin7_by_ninjacyndaquil-db0398o.png

"Huh? Would you please watch where you're go-"

A sound of dozens of coins clinking and clanking as they fell on the road interrupted him. The pouch snapped with the impact.

cassfin6_by_ninjacyndaquil-db02u4s.png

"..."

Okay, he should play it cool. It's his money, yes. His money, and this klutzy woman just bumped into him and made this whole mess. He was the victim in this situation!

cassfin8_by_ninjacyndaquil-db03a30.png

"Gah, look what you've done now!" He said angrily, kneeling down to at least grab a handful of coins before that guy caught up to him. Shit, did he have a horse with him? Ugh...

"Ah yes, I got a little sidetracked there. My research as I briefly mentioned was to examine the various types of magic and the forms that they can take. I myself am a proud anima magic user myself, so that part was easy to get notes on. Next was light magic, which really is just a short trip to any of the holy islands. Dark magic however, is a much harder thing to track down or get people to talk about. So my question to you is how do you channel your dark magic? I've heard mixed answers regarding possession or elder spirits or some other source of power, but none of them actually come from a practitioner," she asks, her eyes again glimmering.

Darius_Anstane.png

"Well, dark magic requires a connection with the elder spirits, that much is true. However, it's more of a...pact, maybe that's the correct word. They follow the command of the mage, or, as we're called, shamans, and in exchange, they get a chance to observe the world, learn from it. However, there is a danger...if you can't control them, they can assault you and pretty much devour your mind, leaving you as little more then a husk of a man, existing, but not really living. As for how I invoke these spells, I simply channel them through a tome, and then the spirits strike at my command. I hope that is a satisfactory answer." Darius explained.

"Huh, so some of the rumors about dark magic were true...though it seems that self-control is a major part in it too..." the woman thinks a few things over before looking back at Darius and shaking his hand. "That will be sufficient. Besides clarifying which magic theory dark magic works on, you've also managed to tell me a bit about the elder spirits themselves and how they operate. I suppose getting stuck here a bit longer than expected worked out in the end," the woman smiles. "I do have to get going, but hopefully we shall see each other once again. I have many more things I'd care to ask, but I don't have the time at the moment. Ta-ta!" she ends, walking out of the store.

Clarisse had waved to the shopkeeper when she entered, and had been browsing while waiting for Rayne to finish up.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFnZS5nb29nbGVhcGlzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy8yNDQzMjY5NzQ4NzU1MDA1NDUvMjg0MTE1NTc2NTUxMzc0ODUxL0VRQXpGeHkucG5nIn0.rCs8ZBEB1gWid1Mu8JEDlszcBm0

"Marigold guild, eh? I think I've heard of them. Mom always loved to commission things from them, enough to go to them in person instead of sending someone. 

Anyway, now that that's done, where too next? You wanted to find the other Royal Guards?"

Darius_Anstane.png

Upon exiting the magic store, Darius saw no reason to delay and made his way over to the fountain where they agreed to reconvene.

Upon approaching the fountain, he sees that Belros and Cadence are already waiting.

"Hey. Have you guys heard about the ship schedules having been messed up somehow? I heard that, apparently, they are completely different then what they should be." the Shaman spoke to the two waiting individuals.

The sudden vibration -- for that's what it is, not quite a note or even a sound but rather a powerful ripple in the air that seems to leave his very veins resonating with its frequency -- catches him off guard, more than enough for the man to snag the pouch of vespers from his hand and make his escape before Idei even has time to register that he's been tricked. However, the sudden loud boom also has the unwanted side effect of startling Kite, who rears slightly with a shrill neigh that drowns out the last fading resonance of the guitar's aftermath, tearing his reins from Idei's hand. He immediately reacts, turning to calm the alarmed horse, placing a hand on his neck and speaking to him, grabbing for the reins again lest he dash off and start a rampage in the marketplace.

tumblr_inline_okf1wlac4g1sg2hsu_100.png

Thankfully, he had just been surprised, and settles down after a few skittish steps, but the combined ruckus has drawn the attention of others in the square, and he blushes to see multiple pairs of eyes on him as though incriminating him for the disturbance. "Shh, Kite. It's all right." Still passing a hand through the hair of his mane, he looks back to where the musician had stood moments before and sighs. 

He supposes he shouldn't have been surprised, with the way that man had spoken to him. Even with all the time he's spent in the city, he's still not used to this kind of double-crossing and greed. There had been bad people in the desert too, of course, but of a different kind. He doesn't understand this feverish need for money that seems to plague the rest of the world outside the desert; it had been apparent even in Arcadia, and pushes people to heights he couldn't have imagined. Well, he had been intending to give him the vespers anyway, so he's not much upset by the emptiness of his hand. There's a different kind of disappointment that lingers, and he can't help but wonder about that guitar. 

Soon, he decides to return to the fountain, thinking little more of the encounter. In his short absence, he finds that a few of his allies have already begun to regroup, and he frowns, feeling inexplicably like he keeps just barely missing everything that happens. A little sullen, he merely offers the other three a nod of acknowledgement before resuming his seat on the fountain's rim, assuming they're having some kind of conversation in which he has no part.

Emilee.png

"I'm so sorry really! Honest! Let me help you." Emilee begins to gather coins on the floor, cupping them in her hand. "I broke so many plates at my work place, and I don't know how I never notice other people but sometimes I just crash in to them. Please forgive me." She gathered some coins and handed them to the man. "Here! That's a lot of money, did you have a big pay day?"

1 hour ago, Twinwolf said:

"Marigold guild, eh? I think I've heard of them. Mom always loved to commission things from them, enough to go to them in person instead of sending someone. 

Anyway, now that that's done, where too next? You wanted to find the other Royal Guards?"

KkPQGBp.png

"Hmmm, yes. My mother much prefers if a customer comes personally. It's easier to get measurements that way. Lemme tell ya, working from measurements that someone else took is a nightmare. And usually the nobles are wrong cause they rush their servants to get them done and they do it incorrectly and it's just a pain. Just better to do them by hand then worry about other folks managing to do them correctly." She nodded. She kept admiring the ember coloured thread in her hand. It wasn't the kind of thing you just found everyday. It was rare, special. Something that glittered like fire... like the sun. Perhaps she was just so enamored by it cause the Marigold was often a symbol of the sun. In fact the Marigold Guild's crest was the very flower in the center of a warm embracing sun. 

She realized then that she did have to be somewhere, thinking of Cade's jacket was what reminded her she needed to meet up with the others. "Oh, yes... we should. I, think we're supposed to meet by some fountain. Thanks for helping me by the way. It means a lot to me. You've been a very helpful Guard Guard~"

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFnZS5nb29nbGVhcGlzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy8yNDQzMjY5NzQ4NzU1MDA1NDUvMjg0MTE1NTc2NTUxMzc0ODUxL0VRQXpGeHkucG5nIn0.rCs8ZBEB1gWid1Mu8JEDlszcBm0
"There's not a ton of fountains in the town, shouldn't be too hard to find. And don't worry about it, happy to help. I've been waiting for a ship that could take me somewhere else for a week now, and I needed something to do. The schedules are a mess, they're never there when they're supposed to be and never going the right places when you do find one. I hope that clears up soon..."

3 hours ago, Anstane said:

Darius_Anstane.png

"Hey. Have you guys heard about the ship schedules having been messed up somehow? I heard that, apparently, they are completely different then what they should be." 

JJQ28EM.png

"There's a bit more to that story, I'm afraid," Cadence answered, "This town's issues extends beyond mere boat traffic, but you'll just have to listen to the briefing along with everyone else once they get here." with that said, she went back to scanning the plaza for anymore newcomers, the arms crossed over her chest making it clear there would be no more discussion on the matter until the proper conditions were finally met. Thus far, they had only four, herself included... not much, but it was getting somewhere, at least.

cassfin2_by_ninjacyndaquil-db013sb.png

"Yeah, I suppose you call it a 'big pay day'." Cass answered the woman after finally putting all the coins into the one pouch she didn't mess up. He didn't actually have the time to properly thank her right now, let alone the nerves to do so as she was the one who made the mess in the first place. Also, what did he care about her backstory? He could just be sure this lady probably never had a big pay day herself if she kept bumping into people. That was probably a bad thing to do no matter what your occupation was. Anyways, she was just taking his time-he should have already been on his way...else that green haired dude was gonna get at his throat or something.

...except that the guy was nowhere to be seen when Cass glanced behind his back. Huh, so was he not following him? Geez, that was somehow even worse than getting followed.

He still relaxed a little thanks to that, and breathed a sigh of relief, raising a hand up to scratch the back of his head.

cassfin9_by_ninjacyndaquil-db03xss.png

"Rngh. Alright, I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going either."

GtWSBYz.png

Belros was watching as Emilee had bumped into what seemed like a street performer when something odd caught his eye. For a man who plays songs for money on the streets that seems like an unusually high amount of Vespers to be carrying around and with this talk of thieves of late he couldn't help but be suspicious of the man.  "I'll just ask him a few questions before he runs off."  Without saying a word to Cadence or Darius, Belros walked over to Emilee and her new acquaintance. 

yDwxGVL.png

"Say for a street performer that's a lot of money to be carrying around. Has business been good lately with the tourists?" He asks the red haired man.

Cass got an urge to facepalm himself as yet another person approached him, inquiring about his monetary status. Oh this girl bumping into him was gonna get him screwed, it was over.

cassfin10_by_ninjacyndaquil-db04igo.png

"Yeah, you know how it is...all the tourists with their deep, deep pockets." He smiled and laughed a bit, looking away from the blue guy.

cassfin8_by_ninjacyndaquil-db03a30.png

"Actually, how is this even your concern, ey? Nothing better to do than to stick your nose into other people's business?"

3 hours ago, Twinwolf said:

The schedules are a mess, they're never there when they're supposed to be and never going the right places when you do find one. I hope that clears up soon..."

KkPQGBp.png

"I hope so, that means it'll be tough for us to get to where we need to go too. Hopefully it sorts out." Rayne said staring down at her feet. She stopped rather abruptly. She was almost as red as a cherry. Her cheeks nearly matching the colour of her ruby red eyes. She held her left arm with her right as she rocked back and forth from her hell to her toes. It seemed as if she was going to say something else.

"Hey... you mind if I ask you something? It might be a little silly though..."

Emilee.png

Emilee clapped her hands together. She understood Belros' suspicions! For someone to have this much money and be a tourist, there could only be one answer: "I get it, I bet you must be really really good! Would you mind playing for us? Just one song? I'd love to hear something."

KkPQGBp.png

"Well... It's just this past little bit you've been very helpful to me. I'm sure you noticed but I'm very forgetful and I get lost in my head a lot." she rubbed the back of her calf with her other foot. she looked a bit nervous in all honesty.

"Normally I have a pegasus, his name is Beau. He's very cute, but he doesn't like people much so I can't bring him into places with a lot of people. Normally he keeps me focused. But, if how I met you was any indication I get lost easily. But when you're with me I can focus better. My ma always told me if someone's presence alone was enough to make positive change, they were someone you should keep with you. I know you're not with the Royal Guard and I'm not sure I can even really convince them but... would you stay with me? It's very helpful having someone I can rely on when going into cities since I can't bring Beau. Hehe... and you're kinda cute besides~ I might be able to work something out and make sure you're paid. Even if they don't make you part of the unit I'll hire you! That should work right? I don't have any money right now though. I overpaid a bit for that thread... It was rare and I wanted to help out that man's business for giving up something that special. He seemed nice..."

cassfin7_by_ninjacyndaquil-db0398o.png

"..." OK, this couldn't actually be happening, right? He has got to have the worst effin' luck in the world-not even that, but he was getting mixed signals since one of these people was awfully suspicious of him while the other was almost stupidly naive. He just couldn't believe it. It had to be a dream-a nightmare. Would he have to friggin' zap them with his rock just as he'd zapped the green dude?

cassfin11_by_ninjacyndaquil-db04sgu.png

"N-no, I can't do that, sorry."