We make Pokémon Reborn. Ask Us Anything.

Kurotsune

Why did you decide to leave such a large part of the backstory (I'm talking about the Laura events with the Steelix in Chrysolia ) to a choice-locked event? Only in one of the four (?) possible outcomes, you end up with Laura in that Steelix area, and only then you get to hear her backstory. In all other cases, you're on your own, and as such, you miss what I'd say is a large part of what makes the characters involved who they are.

It just struck me as weird how such an important part of the story would not be known by everyone playing through the game only once, and the information, if I recall, isn't even mentioned anywhere later on. Would that information return in the future somehow?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

Why did you decide to leave such a large part of the backstory (I'm talking about the Laura events with the Steelix in Chrysolia ) to a choice-locked event? Only in one of the four (?) possible outcomes, you end up with Laura in that Steelix area, and only then you get to hear her backstory. In all other cases, you're on your own, and as such, you miss what I'd say is a large part of what makes the characters involved who they are.

It just struck me as weird how such an important part of the story would not be known by everyone playing through the game only once, and the information, if I recall, isn't even mentioned anywhere later on. Would that information return in the future somehow?

Laura? Don't you mean Saphira? I don't remember her ever not being there. When does that happen?

Laura? Don't you mean Saphira? I don't remember her ever not being there. When does that happen?

It happens when you rescue Anna instead of Heather in the Yureyu building, and then battle Sigmund in the Belrose Manse.

I won't detail all of the events that transpire in that particular storyline split, but you end up partnering with Laura instead of Saphira.

• Developers

Thanks. I tried one of my backups where I fought Sirius in Yureyu building and selected the other option in Tanzan cove. Now I know what backstory you we're talking about earlier - indeed it is something that the player apparently can't learn anywhere else.

By the way are there some other story branches like this in the game? So far I only know about this and the Aqua / Magma thing (which is afaik pretty much the same either way). Oh and there was some branching later with Blake I think (not very significant if I remember correctly). Anything else?

• Global Mods

Thanks. I tried one of my backups where I fought Sirius in Yureyu building and selected the other option in Tanzan cove. Now I know what backstory you we're talking about earlier - indeed it is something that the player apparently can't learn anywhere else.

By the way are there some other story branches like this in the game? So far I only know about this and the Aqua / Magma thing (which is afaik pretty much the same either way). Oh and there was some branching later with Blake I think (not very significant if I remember correctly). Anything else?

Finding all of the police officers before battling ZEL and Taka leads to different scenes with Corey, along with a different field effect. It goes into detail about why he joined Team Meteor.

Whether or not you win against Solaris's Garchomp at Pyrous Mountain determines whether you battle him at the mansion with Florinia or Julia, and winning also adds more dialogue between Fern and Florinia at the mansion.

If you side with El, you don't have to beat Dittoceus. You do have to if you side with Radomus.

For Blake, it actually is sort of significant since saying no to him every time leads to a battle with Aster and him bringing Eclipse's body to her house, also allowing you to get the Shiny Charm (Ame did say those who didn't do this will still be able to get it, though).

Choosing to battle Taka or not at the Water Treatment Center, which I imagine will be important later on.

There's whether or not you beg to Fern in the cage, but that currently doesn't effect anything outside of the scene itself. I imagine it'll be a relationship variable for E16 where begging is +Fern, -Taka and not begging is +Taka, -Fern.

• Developers

That'll depend on what sort of hats he's got in his back pocket.

Okay, wait. Are you saying he keeps all of those hats... In his pocket? That's... Huh. But HOW?

This struck me as pretty odd when I first heard about it but I realised on a later playthrough that the decisions you have to make to get said backstory do very much seem like the 'best' decisions on some reflection, so I see it more as a reward for making said decisions than locking you out of stuff for not making them. I'm sure I wrote more about this somewhere, but like I remember where :x

Alright, while I may be on the team, I have a question for the other members:

Are you planning on getting Sun/Moon? And if so, which starter?

May as well answer for myself - Currently in the Rowlet camp because he's the cutest little owl thing and Grass/Flying rocks. Although I could jump ship to Litten or Popplio depending on what secondary types they end up with on evolving. Generally, if one of them gets Poison or Ice, I'll go with that starter. But otherwise, I'm in the Rowlet camp for sure because JUST LOOK AT IT.

Edited by Marcello

• Developers

@IceCreamSandWitch Thanks! I already knew about most of them but I was not aware that beating Garchomp already had some influence on the game. Also I didn't know that Shiny Charm is related to the Blake choice (it makes sense though). It seems that Laura's backstory was the only peace I missed - I always saved all policeman, beaten both Solochomp and Dittoceus and got the Shiny Charm in the end.

@Marcello Even looking back I'm not sure those were the best choices. In fact in my opinion both situations look like both choices are equally good and bad at the same time.

Edited by baldr

• Developers

Given that Team Meteor destroyed and polluted both land and water, do you think that if they were based in Hoenn, Team Aqua and Team Magma would set aside their differences and work together to stop them?

They probably would, but it wouldn't work out well team meteor would probably kill them.

Given that Team Meteor destroyed and polluted both land and water, do you think that if they were based in Hoenn, Team Aqua and Team Magma would set aside their differences and work together to stop them?

Well team Meteor is doing those things to get rid of the city. In their eyes, their pollution is a short-term sickness, necessary to remove a much larger, cancerous disease.

(oratleastthat'swhattheyweredoingbeforeLintookover)

Is the recently released mod that has allows your pokemon to follow you around in the overworld eventually going to be added to the main release of pokemon reborn?

Is the recently released mod that has allows your pokemon to follow you around in the overworld eventually going to be added to the main release of pokemon reborn?

I don't know about Regular Reborn, but I know for Hardcore I'm not going to implement it. What'll likely happen is that I send Personthing (sorry if I spelled your name wrong) a full on copy of Hardcore E16 so that we have the option whether or not to use it. If Regular Reborn adds it in, obviously Hardcore will too (it'd be counterproductive to remove coding). It all grinds down to a few things that will likely delay it until 17 at least:

1. The mod was just newly released so we don't know how many errors there are

2. A lag test hasn't been worked out. If it's too laggy, it's just best to leave out

3. It needs to be thoroughly tested for fatal errors and crashes (such as the Shelly one)

4. There are likely a lot of little bugs that could also be fixed if we delay it an episode vs releasing it when 16 is pretty close to coming out

As of right now, there are no plans of implementing said mod.

If in the future we decide to do so, it'll most likely follow the approach of previous similar third-party code in which the development team took the code and used it as a base for building up our own system.

I have a question.

When you first meet Aya, she mentioned that Cain ran away and didn't take his Pokémon with him (beside his Nidoran): Meaning he might have had other Pokémon as well, but left them behind.

Does Aya use any of his Pokémon he left behind? She wasn't really perpared to become the new poison type Gym leader, so it makes me wonder if she perhaps have borrowed some of Cain's Pokémon.

I have a question.

When you first meet Aya, she mentioned that Cain ran away and didn't take his Pokémon with him (beside his Nidoran): Meaning he might have had other Pokémon as well, but left them behind.

Does Aya use any of his Pokémon he left behind? She wasn't really perpared to become the new poison type Gym leader, so it makes me wonder if she perhaps have borrowed some of Cain's Pokémon.

She uses the pokémon he left behind. Eventually they become more "hers", though.

Rather unimportant but thoughts on Pokemon Sun and Moon so far?

"meh"

More of the same. Show me something actually new and I might be interested.

If you had to lick a Reborn character's face, but you could choose which one, who would you lick?

I think Anna, Julia, and Terra would mind the least.

Cain also probably wouldn't mind too much, making a comment like "Ooh, you're into some kinky shit~"

Gardevoir might tolerate it a bit, but she'd be kinda weirded out.

Everyone else would probably file a restraining order or just beat you into the ground.

(I would lick Serra ;D)

• Developers

Everyone else would probably file a restraining order or just beat you into the ground.

Except for Titania - she would probably cut you in half with her Aegislash.

The safest choice is probably Shade (if you had the guts to do it) - he would react with just his usual "...". :-D

I do wonder what Shade would feel like.

I don't think you will feel Shade: you can't move tongue forward, but you don't feel/taste a thing then your tongue will go cold and you feel like you lost something important.

I also wonder how many of each shard and heart scale it takes to create a 'rare candy'?

Edited by FairFamily