Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

So, at the current moment I have just gotten a huge amount of motivation to design several new characters for the 2nd game, and I've actually been spending some time working on said 2nd game. Mostly just to keep me busy and keep my ideas rolling. But, for shits and giggles there will be characters that I will be showing off, from the 2nd game, in the coming weeks. Again, for funzies.

Also, as a random note - the 2nd game is a lot more fantasy driven than this game. Which says a lot, given how fantasy-esque this game already is. However, I find the 2nd game to be the best version of the Symphonic Horizon games. It has the most consistent writing, best set-pieces, and a much more engaging story. My current game suffers a bit from a lot of stop-start action, where I'd work, then stop, then pick it back up again forgetting what I was doing. With the 2nd game, the story's been consistent all the way through and I find to be much more enjoyable, overall.

Also, here's an update from my manga artist about the situation on the manga's upcoming chapters. Are you ready? Cool!

819800c64f9bfcb9346c0ef0df683549_by_dyla

About that much XD The upcoming chapters are underway, with Marissa annoyed.

24 minutes ago, Alphagar said:

Wait...so you are working on 2 games simultaneously? O.O Wow.

I've been working on the 2nd game for a pretty long time now, at least conceptually and story wise. Mostly because I want to have the game using a completely original graphic set, and heavily modified engine. At the moment I've been programming said engine for a few years now, and it's completely original and only for the 2nd game.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Dylanrockin said:

I've been working on the 2nd game for a pretty long time now, at least conceptually and story wise. Mostly because I want to have the game using a completely original graphic set, and heavily modified engine. At the moment I've been programming said engine for a few years now, and it's completely original and only for the 2nd game.

Again...wow.

39 minutes ago, Dylanrockin said:

So what is the time gap between the 2 games and are you likely to release both the games at the same time or would take time for the 2nd installment 

and let the tension build from the fans and take ideas from the gamers as to how the story could proceed even further...

also while leaving any cliff hangers for us to grab on ???

Please let there be cliff hangers...

19 minutes ago, ZAYNNE87 said:

So what is the time gap between the 2 games and are you likely to release both the games at the same time or would take time for the 2nd installment 

and let the tension build from the fans and take ideas from the gamers as to how the story could proceed even further...

also while leaving any cliff hangers for us to grab on ???

Please let there be cliff hangers...

Time gap? You mean like... how far in the future is it? It's 12 years in the future, after events of the 1st game. There are no cliffhangers, because that's my style, also the stories have been finished for both games. They've been written and finished for a few years now.

Just now, Dylanrockin said:

Time gap? You mean like... how far in the future is it? It's 12 years in the future, after events of the 1st game. There are no cliffhangers, because that's my style, also the stories have been finished for both games. They've been written and finished for a few years now.

Sure why not it'll be fun at-least to have story based game after a long while now (ahem dark rising ahem) with wholly developed characters with really good personalities

Like your style (No loose ends, eh)

it does remind me of the digidestineds how they get chosen and have single great partner with them...

So waiting for the game is going to be the hardest part

Spoiler

Release it faster... faster... please at the earliest

5 hours ago, ZAYNNE87 said:

Sure why not it'll be fun at-least to have story based game after a long while now (ahem dark rising ahem) with wholly developed characters with really good personalities

Like your style (No loose ends, eh)

it does remind me of the digidestineds how they get chosen and have single great partner with them...

So waiting for the game is going to be the hardest part

Reveal hidden contents

Release it faster... faster... please at the earliest

Except that unlike Dark Rising, my game isn't trashy fan-fiction with characters from alternate universes thrown in, because why not. Sorry to anyone who likes that game, but it was not made well, story-wise and gameplay wise. I hate cliffhanger endings, because that ruins the endings for RPG's that go for something artistic, like mine. It's such a lame cash in on trying to keep expectations high, and trying to keep people on the edge of their seat when you could just show them a proper ending that resolves everything, rather than doing something lame. It also prevents people making stoner theories about "what will happen next", and making false theories based on my work, because look at how accurate those are. (No I'm not bitter why do you ask XD)

Edited by Dylanrockin

3 hours ago, Dylanrockin said:

Except that unlike Dark Rising, my game isn't trashy fan-fiction with characters from alternate universes thrown in, because why not. Sorry to anyone who likes that game, but it was not made well, story-wise and gameplay wise. I hate cliffhanger endings, because that ruins the endings for RPG's that go for something artistic, like mine. It's such a lame cash in on trying to keep expectations high, and trying to keep people on the edge of their seat when you could just show them a proper ending that resolves everything, rather than doing something lame. It also prevents people making stoner theories about "what will happen next", and making false theories based on my work, because look at how accurate those are. (No I'm not bitter why do you ask XD)

It is not that I really delve deep into fanfic or create my own theories 

I mostly wait to see what happens next rather than give it much thought 

But such as it is "FOOD FOR THOUGHT" always arises even for the tiniest bit 

and gives rise to discussion (which I really don't mind)...

Also things like those do put ideas into the author's mind

Again this is just my opinion which you don't have to regard if don't like it

No seriously I'm a nobody........................................................................................................................................................

Spoiler

Don't listen to my ramblings

8 hours ago, ZAYNNE87 said:

It is not that I really delve deep into fanfic or create my own theories 

I mostly wait to see what happens next rather than give it much thought 

But such as it is "FOOD FOR THOUGHT" always arises even for the tiniest bit 

and gives rise to discussion (which I really don't mind)...

Also things like those do put ideas into the author's mind

Again this is just my opinion which you don't have to regard if don't like it

No seriously I'm a nobody........................................................................................................................................................

Reveal hidden contents

Don't listen to my ramblings

I'd rather not give those kinds of theories the benefit of the doubt. Especially since it's a pride thing for me to write everything myself than to be accepting of someone's, possibly less impressive and unfitting, idea that isn't welcome in the game, in the first place. But, I also don't pay attention to "theories" anyways, so eh.

In any case, I am quite sick at the moment, for anyone else reading this rambling. I actually became sick through my own fault, because I accidentally ate a medication called "Oxycontin" and has since fucked me up all day today. I've been throwing up blood, feeling off-balance, woozy, body sore and my heart is racing at a million beats per second. So, I apologize if I seem a little on-edge today, more than usual, because I am seriously not doing well, because of my own stupidity.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Well, I got back from the Doctor's about 3 hours ago, and it turns out that a lot of the vomiting of blood was mostly caused by some serious irritation of the inner-lining of my stomach walls - due to me taking that pill of Oxycontin by accident. Why did I take that medication? Because, hilariously, I mistook it for aspirin on my desk, but then remembered what it was. I originally had it sitting there, 3 months ago for pain that I was having with my back, but never took it. Also, it was only half of a pill of Oxycontin. A HALF! A half fucked me up so bad that I ended up vomiting blood and experienced all kinds of negative side-effects.

But yes, I was diagnosed with seratonin syndrome, and for the most part I got over it pretty quickly. They kept me in the hospital for longer than I wanted, but they got me back up without me feeling like total shit constantly. But... I will never take that shit ever again. Because jfc did it fucking suck. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone. Don't take Oxycontin unless told to by a doctor, otherwise THAT will happen. It's also worse because it's an opiate, and that shit will fuck you up.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Welp, I have here, for you, today a smol update in regards to an optional area of the game. This is Nishima Island the Island of Hot Springs. Because, yes, even my game has to appease the Tales pre-requisite of a hot spring area in the game. This is a completely optional area of the game with no Trainers to battle, aside from getting some funny dialogue from the other characters, some items, the new Hot Spring Towel costumes for all the characters, and an optional mini-game that I programmed myself. At the moment I'm still working on the other maps, such as the hot springs themselves, the caverns and the Sanctuary Tower where the hot springs actually take place at. That said however, here is the main part of the island.

I made this map out of wanting to write some funny dialogue and conversation trades between the main cast of characters. Especially after I replayed Tales of Phantasia on the Super Famicom and a certain line of dialogue that Arche Klein says. For those who played the original Japanese version of the game, you know what line I'm talking about. That one line is what made me make this series of maps - just to appease my inner shipping goals for the characters. Here's a little preview of what I wrote: it's pure fanservice at it's finest.

Spoiler

Listen closer to what Vivian is mumbling in her sleep?

Yes

Vivian: Mrrrhrhhhmmm...

Vice: Eh?

Vivian: Allan... you freaking asshole...

Vivian: I swear, you're the biggest ass on the Earth, but you fuu... like an... anierhmmm.

Vice: (Like a what?)

Vivian: Animal...

Yeah, I wrote that... XD

2471e58078dc6f38ec668d0dbd091c81.png

What you can't actually see, because they are events, are the actual geothermal vents, laid out across the map. You will only be able to see them in-game, because lol-screenshot doesn't show events. The way you get to this island is after a certain point in the game, when you get the S.S. Valeria ticket, and unlock Hiro and Allan you will be able to go here at your leisure. The Pokemon here aren't especially high leveled, nor are there any Trainers to fight.

• Upvote 1

Just dropped by to check. Man a lot has happened here. I hope you're chilling now. Nice map and I always wanted a very big hot springs in the games. I know fire red has one but that's so small.

I am going to be name dropping several characters from my game, and if you have not been a regular, in regards to the huge cast of characters in my game, familiarize yourself with who I'm talking about here:

Ninetales' Human Form:

notail_by_rialynarts_da1khgu_by_dylanroc

Velvet Amelia Rose:

552ab2793abe76d9b953ef59d65f2bc2-d9wds3s

Here's yet another update. This is the promised character that I mentioned last week - This is Ashera with no last name, because she doesn't have a last name. This character is very much like Ninetales and Velvet in that she can transform into a Pokemon. However, unlike Velvet, and very much like Ninetales, she can actually use her Pokemon form offensively, whereas Velvet cannot. She is actually one of the main, playable characters in the 2nd game, but the downside to her in that game is that she cannot use Pokemon, but can only fight in her Pokemon form. Which... is pretty rough, but the catch is that she can turn into Rayquaza and Mega Evolve at will.

Ashera

19964849_1569910939749493_1051238269_n_b

She is quite the recurring character, in that she becomes somewhat of an important character in this game by being this game's equivalent of the airship - the downside though is that you get her at the end of the game and isn't playable.

As for her character though she is no scrub. Much like Ninetales and Velvet, she is many, many centuries old and has outlived the average human and Pokemon, seeing generations come and go. In fact, she is the youngest of the 2 other characters, in that she is only 3114 years old (explicitly stated be her, herself), and the youngest Rayquaza that exists on Earth.

The three of these characters all have relations to one another, which is why they can transform to and from a Pokemon form, and live indefinitely. With the exception to Velvet, whose transformation doesn't boast any properties that Ninetales and Ashera have. It's very spoilerific, but if you don't care about spoilers, then click the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

Ninetales and Ashera are both natural born Pokemon that drank an altered version of the Water of the Outer Heavens which granted them immortality from natural causes and the ability to transform into a human at will. Normally Pokemon like Ninetales and Ashera can normally live indefinitely without the water, though what become of it mostly was the process of transforming into a human. Ninetales is essentially the Next Dimension's teacher to all Planet Heralds that were born from divine blood. She would seek out those humans and train them into fully-realized Planet Heralds, to prepare themselves for the balancing of the Arc Stone's power. However, in Ashera's case, she drank the water from the Celestial Island out of negligence and disobedience (mostly due to her young age at the time). The results of her being able to transform was a total fluke, and as a result was forever banished to the Celestial Island where she would protect it until freed from her pact by a human Trainer who could best her in battle. Since Ariana and her friends had no reason to fight her, due to her watchfulness over the Celestial Island and ensured protection over the Draco Fragment, she was not freed until Vice and co. had a fateful encounter atop the Draco Sanctuary.

Ashera herself is stated by Ninetales to be "a basket-case with too much energy for her own good. And a curiosity that boasts eagerness to the worst degree." What the translates to is an extremely mischievous, and playful Rayquaza with curiosity that borders on naivete. That's, however, to be expected since for her, 3114 years old is the equivalent to adolescence in terms of age, compared to a human; though no matter how old she gets, she will retain the same form as she appears in her artwork. She is extremely high-energy and prone to be a bit of a prankster, in human form. Ashera has a fondness for wrestling with Allan, Vice and Vivian, mostly because she has almost never seen any humans before Ariana and uses them as an outlet. After the events of the game, and even though Hiro marries Vice, Ashera has a fondness for Vice, given that after this game he is primarily around her and is his preferred method of travel. That said, she doesn't get along well with any of the higher-ups from the Next Dimension, due to her being forever banished to the Celestial Island, until freed by Vice and his friends.

For those of you curious - here is the finished design for Ashera: I am also going to copy/paste her biography below her artwork, in a spoiler tag, in case people didn't check the previous page. Also, if you're curious, no, her hair isn't black at the end, it's just the shading is why it looks that way.

What's in the first spoiler box isn't necessarily spoilers, but just a rough description of her - however, the 2nd spoiler is spoiler heavy and should only be read if you don't care.

c1c476a0eabf102f89329b6e16a54047-dbfwixe

20030780_1571034562970464_854103314_n_by

Spoiler

I am going to be name dropping several characters from my game, and if you have not been a regular, in regards to the huge cast of characters in my game, familiarize yourself with who I'm talking about here:

Ninetales' Human Form:

notail_by_rialynarts_da1khgu_by_dylanroc

Velvet Amelia Rose:

552ab2793abe76d9b953ef59d65f2bc2-d9wds3s

Here's yet another update. This is the promised character that I mentioned last week - This is Ashera with no last name, because she doesn't have a last name. This character is very much like Ninetales and Velvet in that she can transform into a Pokemon. However, unlike Velvet, and very much like Ninetales, she can actually use her Pokemon form offensively, whereas Velvet cannot. She is actually one of the main, playable characters in the 2nd game, but the downside to her in that game is that she cannot use Pokemon, but can only fight in her Pokemon form. Which... is pretty rough, but the catch is that she can turn into Rayquaza and Mega Evolve at will.

Ashera

19964849_1569910939749493_1051238269_n_b

She is quite the recurring character, in that she becomes somewhat of an important character in this game by being this game's equivalent of the airship - the downside though is that you get her at the end of the game and isn't playable.

As for her character though she is no scrub. Much like Ninetales and Velvet, she is many, many centuries old and has outlived the average human and Pokemon, seeing generations come and go. In fact, she is the youngest of the 2 other characters, in that she is only 3114 years old (explicitly stated be her, herself), and the youngest Rayquaza that exists on Earth.

The three of these characters all have relations to one another, which is why they can transform to and from a Pokemon form, and live indefinitely. With the exception to Velvet, whose transformation doesn't boast any properties that Ninetales and Ashera have. It's very spoilerific, but if you don't care about spoilers, then click the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

Ninetales and Ashera are both natural born Pokemon that drank an altered version of the Water of the Outer Heavens which granted them immortality from natural causes and the ability to transform into a human at will. Normally Pokemon like Ninetales and Ashera can normally live indefinitely without the water, though what become of it mostly was the process of transforming into a human. Ninetales is essentially the Next Dimension's teacher to all Planet Heralds that were born from divine blood. She would seek out those humans and train them into fully-realized Planet Heralds, to prepare themselves for the balancing of the Arc Stone's power. However, in Ashera's case, she drank the water from the Celestial Island out of negligence and disobedience (mostly due to her young age at the time). The results of her being able to transform was a total fluke, and as a result was forever banished to the Celestial Island where she would protect it until freed from her pact by a human Trainer who could best her in battle. Since Ariana and her friends had no reason to fight her, due to her watchfulness over the Celestial Island and ensured protection over the Draco Fragment, she was not freed until Vice and co. had a fateful encounter atop the Draco Sanctuary.

Ashera herself is stated by Ninetales to be "a basket-case with too much energy for her own good. And a curiosity that boasts eagerness to the worst degree." What the translates to is an extremely mischievous, and playful Rayquaza with curiosity that borders on naivete. That's, however, to be expected since for her, 3114 years old is the equivalent to adolescence in terms of age, compared to a human; though no matter how old she gets, she will retain the same form as she appears in her artwork. She is extremely high-energy and prone to be a bit of a prankster, in human form. Ashera has a fondness for wrestling with Allan, Vice and Vivian, mostly because she has almost never seen any humans before Ariana and uses them as an outlet. After the events of the game, and even though Hiro marries Vice, Ashera has a fondness for Vice, given that after this game he is primarily around her and is his preferred method of travel. That said, she doesn't get along well with any of the higher-ups from the Next Dimension, due to her being forever banished to the Celestial Island, until freed by Vice and his friends.

• Upvote 2