Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

Also, here is a little something for all of you who were wondering what (some) of the areas of the game entail. This does not list ALL of the areas in the game, but rather several key areas that hold great importance to the game's plot. I will list them off one-by-one, however, this is spoilerific, so click the spoiler if you don't care about being spoiled about the significance of these locations: (click the image if you want to zoom in, however, this is watermarked and jpg so the quality is less than the full version png)

4e022c4cf794353d741087bee92dbec8-db1xd2e

Spoiler

The area on the far right is Ariana's Grave, within the Road to Dawn's Graveyard, which only encompasses 3 gravestones. The other two hold great significance, but as to who's they are is up for you to find out, when you play the game.

Next is the Brennan Estate, which is the home to Marissa Brennan, the location where, surprisingly, a lot of things go down at. Mostly in relation to Marissa and Helena's past, which is shrouded in ambiguity and confusion. But it's also where Vice befriends Marissa after their romp through the Hydro Sanctuary.

The next area is the Aliquam Trail, which... you might say that it's just so random area, and you're right it is. However, this is where Vivian is first encountered, and she attacks Vice out of ignorance. She believes Vice to be Nero, since they share similar likenesses to each other, and Vivian was so blinded by rage and revenge that she wasn't thinking rationally enough to think otherwise.

Up next is Skycrest City, the giant tower you see is actually the stadium that looms over the castle city, and is where the Pokemon League is held at. You never go there in the story of the game, however, a lot of plot-crucial exposition between Vice and Hiro in a dream sequence plays out a lot of important information to the player, as well as develop Marissa and Krista's characters.

Namira Village is up next and this is important, because this is where the Dark Fangs invade Namira Village (Vivian's Home Village) in order to locate one of the next Arc Stone Fragments. Many people are captured or killed during this whole event, and Vivian gains significant character development as well as being the location where everyone parts ways for 2 weeks to go off and train before leaving for the Northern Continent.

Hiro's Time Stream Chamber, which is actually a crystal that was used in several other fan-games, however I edited the sprite to make it my own as well as give it more significance than those same games. This is located in the City of the Timeless, a dimension that lies parallel to the world that this game takes place in and is a never ending ocean with one, lone island in the middle of it. This is where Velvet takes everyone through a portal, located in Horizon City, to this dimension in order to find Hiro and her brother. Vice and Allan fight in front of the waterfall and Hiro intervenes from within the crystal and they all head towards the inner-sanctum of the city where Hiro is kept dormant.

[MAJOR SPOILERS HERE]

Next up is Eclipse Mountain's Frost Sanctuary, and this is where many things happen in relation to the plot as well as some slight development for Vice and Hiro. Both of them trade quips about why they share a connection telepathically, and it is revealed that they share a soul link. Hiro is the reason why Vice exists, and without her Vice would also die. What this is means is that if one of them dies, so does the other. Hiro gave part of her own to Vice, in order for him to be fully realized at Dawn Beach.

The Dark Fang Northern Base, also known as a human and Pokemon prison where Dr. Richter Dezel performs experiments on living subjects in order to perfect the creation of artificial Arc Stone Fragments. This is where both Reynard Maxwell and Richter reside and is the largest facility the Dark Fangs have created, aside from the Dark Fang Castle, located on the Central Continent. This facility is where a lot of betrayal, and emotion takes place at. Many things occur, as well as fully resolving Krista's purpose and character development. Every question the player has ever wanted answered, gets answered here at this facility. This base was once the Monochroma Mansion, however it was renovated and drastically changed into this dark monstrosity over the span of 8 years, using enslaved Pokemon and several captured Trainers to complete it. Also, this is where you realize that Hiro's Time Manipulation abilities have no effect on Legendary Pokemon, as they are not affected by any form of Time Manipulation. It's noted by Ninetales, and several others that everyone Vice has been traveling with has been keeping a secret from him, and a big one at that. It's noted that [BIG SPOILERS READ ONLY IF YOU'RE BALLSY] once Krista activates the Arc Stone, she will give up her energy and die.

The next area is the Celestial Island, a floating island that resides within the Next Dimension, yet appears to reside in the regular world of the living. However, it is invisible and intangible to those who have not been granted access to this hidden land. The main cast, after the Next Dimension Tournament, arrive here after releasing Falset from Nero's body and capturing him with Marissa's now completed Cresthart Pokeball. Ariana used this land as an ultimate hiding spot for the 2 most powerful Fragments of the Arc Stone, the Heaven's Fragment (flying type) and Dragon Fragment (Dragon type). If the Dark Fangs were to ever have managed to collect all 16 of the other types of Fragments, then they would never be able to complete, given that the last 2 were hidden on this island. After the tournament, many things get resolved. The Dark Fangs are no more, and the Generals (besides Richter because he is dead as fuck. Why? Because Krista, and that is all I will say.) reformed themselves, due to Nero no longer being possessed by Falset's influence. It turns out they were actually good friends of Nero's who he met shortly after the events of the previous game. Also, this is where you gain access to flying on Rayquaza's back! Similarly to ORAS, except that is 2D and top-down, like like FF4.

The final area of the game: Destiny Outlook, the ultimate tower created by Arceus and impenetrable through any means. This tower regulates the flow of Verdant Energy throughout the world, as Lumia is the epicenter of all life. This is where the Arc Stone is kept, when all the Fragments join together. When a Planet Herald like Krista is to activate the Arc Stone, then the planet is restored of all it's Verdant Energy and life continues on. However, this is where [MAJOR SPOILERS!!! SERIOUSLY!] Falset only faked his capturing so that he could gain access to the tower, since access to the tower normally is impossible without a fully realized Planet Herald and all 18 Fragments. Falset then takes control of Krista and forces her to activate the Arc Stone, only for him to absorb its energy and transform him into a god, while throwing the entire world's Verdant Energy out of control. Falset then kills Krista before she can fade away and this causes Vice to become enraged and transforms further into his Ascended Verdant Transformation form.

14 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

I want to see some awesome Character Development and Plot in this game.

For me, Rejuvenation is the best pokemon fan game when it comes to a story. But this looks like it could surpass Rejuvenation in terms of Storytelling.

You will be surprised by how much you'll be pleased. I've spent an entire year on the story and it's 353,576 words long. Which... that's anime levels of dialogue and story telling. You'll get what you wanted and then some. Prepare to see character development and story like none you've seen before. This game is meant to be a crossover/combination of Tales and Pokemon. You should watch some of the skit videos I made.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

OMG IS ROMANCE GOING TO BE A PART OF YOUR GAME AHHHHHHH

//don't answer that, I'm just screwing around right now.

It looks like the game's moving along fairly smoothly, unless the coding is a huge mess. I do have to say that I like seeing the sketches for the drawings and art you've been putting out there. I don't have much to say about them, just that they're kinda neat.

15 minutes ago, Dypatome said:

OMG IS ROMANCE GOING TO BE A PART OF YOUR GAME AHHHHHHH

//don't answer that, I'm just screwing around right now.

It looks like the game's moving along fairly smoothly, unless the coding is a huge mess. I do have to say that I like seeing the sketches for the drawings and art you've been putting out there. I don't have much to say about them, just that they're kinda neat.

There are themes of romance, but it isn't the centerpiece of the story, much like in the Tales games where characters do tend to have feelings for one another, but it isn't the main driving point of the story and anything of the sort gets resolved either optionally or at the end of the game. I have mentioned before that in the sequel that I wrote, certain characters do end up getting married and are much older.

As for the coding, it's been going just as swimmingly as the mapping. Being a programming major, I find this stuff easy to handle, so there isn't much in the way of faulty errors or things that prevent the game from being playable, since I test this game on a regular basis with play-testers when I'm not able to test it myself.

But yeah, the art that I put out is just for commenting sake, and to show what I'm up to. Sometimes I just have visions of certain scenes in the game that I want to have drawn out, because I want to see what my "children" look like if that scene was drawn out rather than in-game.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Masquerain said:

Allan and Vivian yuss 

For Hiro and Vice... well I'm just glad it's not Vice and Marissa 乁( ´-` )_/¯

Well, there is a very good reason why Vice and Marissa isn't a thing, and it would be very disgusting if I were to make it happen. For reasons you will find out, when you play the game to the end, because it is spoilerific.

Also, 2 new characters are scheduled to be made, along with a planned 2 other characters for the Next Dimension. I will talk about the first two now, since I have time. No artwork for awhile, for them though, since I've got to work on the ending animation.

The two new characters that I will be announcing are humans that were converted into Androids/Cyborgs/whatever you want to call them. They were regular human Trainers that were captured by the Dark Fangs for experimentation, however, they managed to showcase a Trainer skill level higher than most that they have challenged before, and try to coerce them into joining the Dark Fangs. Of course, they declined and were experimented on by Dr. Richter Dezel (oh, goddamnit) and converted them into half-human, half-machine Trainers so as to make them obedient and compliant to whatever orders were given to them. There are some interesting things that make them more skillful as Trainers, compared to regular humans, in that they are able to detect the slightest movements that a Pokemon can make and adjust accordingly to whatever the opposing Trainer orders them to do, which is a huge advantage in a battle. They are able to detect the slightest fluctuations in atmospheric pressure, and are able to respond quickly enough to issue orders faster than any normal Trainer. As far as appearance goes, they look and act like regular people, with a bit of a robot look in their eyes that gives a creepy vibe from them. Personalities are still intact enough to not be generic "robots".

That's all I can say about them for the time being, but this is something that plays heavily into the Northern Base and Volcano Base part of the game that's coming up ;D

49 minutes ago, Dylanrockin said:

Well, there is a very good reason why Vice and Marissa isn't a thing, and it would be very disgusting if I were to make it happen. For reasons you will find out, when you play the game to the end, because it is spoilerific.

Also, 2 new characters are scheduled to be made, along with a planned 2 other characters for the Next Dimension. I will talk about the first two now, since I have time. No artwork for awhile, for them though, since I've got to work on the ending animation.

The two new characters that I will be announcing are humans that were converted into Androids/Cyborgs/whatever you want to call them. They were regular human Trainers that were captured by the Dark Fangs for experimentation, however, they managed to showcase a Trainer skill level higher than most that they have challenged before, and try to coerce them into joining the Dark Fangs. Of course, they declined and were experimented on by Dr. Richter Dezel (oh, goddamnit) and converted them into half-human, half-machine Trainers so as to make them obedient and compliant to whatever orders were given to them. There are some interesting things that make them more skillful as Trainers, compared to regular humans, in that they are able to detect the slightest movements that a Pokemon can make and adjust accordingly to whatever the opposing Trainer orders them to do, which is a huge advantage in a battle. They are able to detect the slightest fluctuations in atmospheric pressure, and are able to respond quickly enough to issue orders faster than any normal Trainer. As far as appearance goes, they look and act like regular people, with a bit of a robot look in their eyes that gives a creepy vibe from them. Personalities are still intact enough to not be generic "robots".

That's all I can say about them for the time being, but this is something that plays heavily into the Northern Base and Volcano Base part of the game that's coming up ;D

I'm glad it's not a thing in any case

More progress on the Volcano Base interior, since I'm now getting started on this. I finished the entirety of the outer volcano, such as the cliffside, etc. This is an example of what the interior will look like, and I think it'll be badass af!

agbrhe_by_dylanrockin2122-db2fqgg.gif

• Upvote 1

*cough* *cough* ahem. otps.

17357514_1420574748016447_1570361061_o_b

This actually takes place in the same image, which is why the moon in Allan/Vivian's picture and background looks weird. Also, guess this character, once again? Anyone? Takers?

edit_art_by_dylanrockin2122-db2kh2v.png

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Masquerain said:

Beautiful in color!

乁( ´-` )_/¯  About the character... Maybe some future daughter of Vice and Hiro? idek

Well, you'd be right actually! That is in-fact Vice and Hiro's future daughter, after this game, which takes place 12 years later.

15 hours ago, Dylanrockin said:

Well, you'd be right actually! That is in-fact Vice and Hiro's future daughter, after this game, which takes place 12 years later.

Waw :o What do I win?   

j/k 

Nice though, wonder if ViviAllan have kids too

9 hours ago, Masquerain said:

Waw :o What do I win?   

j/k 

Nice though, wonder if ViviAllan have kids too

They do, actually. Following the tradition in the Vance family where the children are almost always female, has Vivian and Allan having *gasp* a daughter. She's very much like if you were to combine Vivian's snarky, and sassy-cool personality with Allan's very aloof personality.

Yup man i loooooove the soundtracks. Happy to see some cool sounds like the supersaiyan music and the sasuke soundtrack for allan.....its worth the wait...I want the game it is as nice as eevee's paw pads or as nice as hiro fainting in front of vice.

28 minutes ago, BRS swag said:

Yup man i loooooove the soundtracks. Happy to see some cool sounds like the supersaiyan music and the sasuke soundtrack for allan.....its worth the wait...I want the game it is as nice as eevee's paw pads or as nice as hiro fainting in front of vice.

I'm glad someone appreciates the soundtrack choices I have made XD you have a good ear to notice some of those themes.

i always check out the soundtracks..................I wanted to play a pokemon game with atleast a few naruto soundtracks and here it is