Twenty Three

Amethyst

But you see, that is the thing with Reborn. We are first a bunch of pals, and only then a gaming community. This is the closest forum on the entire internet to having actual people, and not just nicknames on a screen: we share our problems, we talk about the most diverse things, we cry, we laugh, we have fun. And it was Ame who made this possible. I don't know how she managed to do this, but she did. And for that, we should all thank her.

EDIT: what I'm trying to say is that even the less involved people eventually are sucked in this spiral. Somehow, Reborn absorbs you. It is magic, it is a great metaphore of life. And even if you come here just to rant about a particularly difficult boss, and then spend months without posting again, the atmosphere eventually wins you over. Again, I don't know how Ame managed to create such a thing, but she did.

Wow...Ame, you are a beautiful human being and I hope you know that your life will always have purpose. You'll always have a community backing you, even when Pokemon Reborn's 19th episode comes out and you start your new project. I know for a fact that I'm not leaving... and although I haven't been in this community for that long, I've already felt the warmth and care that everyone here gives off. And that's a spectacular thing.

I truly hate the society we live in. But I think it's getting better though. Now that gay marriage has been legalized, society is taking steps in bettering itself...but we're not there yet, and we won't be for a long time. Ignorance is not something that easily dies out, unfortunately. There will always be those people who have the most incomprehensible thoughts about certain issues. And hey, sometimes we've got to live with that even if we strongly, strongly disagree with them. But ignorance does die out. Slowly...but it does. However, it's still alive...and commonly, many people of the LGBTQ community, for example, fall victim to such ignorance. But, Ame...when people of these communities surrounded by ignorance have no place to turn, Pokemon Reborn was here for them. You've created a safe haven for those discriminated against, and for those who simply just wanted to be a part of a community. You've impacted the lives of many with this game. You've created a tight, close communtity. What an accomplishment.

I understand where you're coming from when you say that you don't like celebrating your birthday. I'm not a big fan of it either. And that's okay. Your birthday doesn't have to be celebrated to know your importance in this world. And let me tell you, you are very important, regardless if you celebrate your birthday or not. It's okay to stray from what's "normal". Just be aware that you have a full community of people who care. Break the statistics, Ame. Much love.

I haven't got a lot to say. I'd feel like I was trying to steal the spotlight, and I need to stop doing it consciously or subconsciously, so I'll just say thanks. This community feels more like home than my own house, sometimes.

I don't always talk much, but when I do, I speak a LOT of words.

Amethyst, out of all of the people I know online, you, by far, are one of the greatest people I've ever known. You've ran a league, a server, and made competitions. All while making a game that isn't even a game. Now, when I say that it isn't a game, I mean that it also has a lot of meanings to life, too. The things you do not only create joy, but inspire everyone as well. For example, in the past, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life after high school. Heck, I was extremely unpopular in school. When I played the game, I was a bit inspired by Dr. Sigmund, despite his methods. It taught me that people not only have problems on the outside, but could also have problems on the inside as well. For example, suicide. People often commit suicide out of severe depression. While the Doctor believed that ECT was the way to go, it really isn't. What people need, is the kind, caring support from others. However, sometimes people shake these thoughts of suicide away before it gets worse, like me. Yes, I have often thought of suicide, but as soon as I think of it, I stop, because what would happen if I'm dead? There's more meaning to life than there is in death. That's why I've decided to study psychology and become a psychiatrist/psychologist; to help others before it's too late. Psychology's paid off quite a bit for me this year, and I just want to thank you so much for inspiring me to follow that path.

What I'm trying to say is that you have thousands of people supporting you, no matter what. Heck you've started a movement. A revolutionary movement, that takes Pokemon, as well as life itself to the next level. More fangames are forming, more let's-plays are being made, and the community of Reborn is bringing more and more people together. We are all starting to understand one another, and it's all thanks to you.

And like you said, it's not even the beginning yet. However, when it does begin, never give up. Just hang in there, and keep breaking that statistic. Remember in Survivor when you never gave up after making that promise that you would win? It's kinda like that. Even before it begins, just keep storming through and break the statistics, piece by piece.

I know you don't like celebrating your birthday, so I will just give a toast. A toast, to you and everything that you've done for Reborn. Here's to a wonderful birthday, and many more years to come!

~Trevore

I don't understand how anyone can be of the mindset that a person can be considered less than human just for being different. And I hope I never do.

The fact that I'm even of the same species as these ignorant monsters, let alone being most likely the same coloured skin, just makes me sick.

I have such low expectations for humanity at this point. If we discover any sentient being apart from humans, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the discoverer had killed and eaten it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that's exactly what will happen!

Negativity aside.

I'm not sure what else to say here except: Thank you, Amethyst.

Thank you for your amazing game, and this wonderful, crazy community, even if I've only been active here for a short time.

I wish you well.

Though many of you didn't know her, we've already had one trans-girl from this very community take her own life. It was a person I looked up to, who helped me get started when I needed to make a change, and who I regret I was not able to help enough in return.

You can even find her-- or at least, the character she submitted a long time ago-- in Pokemon Reborn.

"Tehehehe, do you think you're ready to best us?"

Sorry, which character is that? I don't remember this line.

Also I usually don't check the forums too much but I came across this topic from Ame's twitter feed. The story touched me, I kept thinking about it the entire day in fact. As a physicist I like to deal with statistics and numbers first and foremost, but this kind of story reminds me that it's good to look at the faces behind the numbers sometimes. Good luck in everything you attempt Ame, and I hope that you'll be able to appreciate everything that life gives you, the good things and the bad things, life is wonderful because each individual's path is unique, and has never been walked before. It should be lived fully until the very end, if only by curiosity.

Hey, we're the same age! And yet I'm just a little Seviper with trust issues that's trying to fend off popular Clefairy's. Even though that was just Survivor, the same applies on the forums. You have this talent that makes people root for you even though they might not know you personally. We never talked before, and I didn't know you're a trans, but to put it bluntly: I don't give a fuck about your gender because that doesn't define who you are. Sure, I understand it's not easy but I can never truly imagine how hard it must be because I never faced the same problems.

But just look at this place, even just this thread, and you see what I mean. What you've accomplished is a far more defining quality to measure someone's life with. I just want to thank you for creating this place.

Lately, I find myself standing on a lot of battle-lines. As a part of the "Body of Christ" - I am also, depending on how you view the church, among the opponents.

Which, not only as a sinner but as arguably one of the closest persons to you, makes me sick.

Ultimately though there are two truths I have to admit.

- I fell in love with who you are. (I'm leaving this here for community-wide accountability.)

- God is involved with all possible outcomes and pursues us even if we run away from Him. Therefore, He didn't quit on you despite the notion "believers" paint about trans-gendered persons.

With many newer social issues - especially one where it was practically unheard of in biblical times where the text was mostly intended to be immediately relevant - we find several churched individuals being too cause-oriented and not Christ-oriented.

Christians are not supposed to lash out against other people. Our biggest enemy is our own sin nature. We have no right to be aggressive toward others, even if we're putting their sin nature in the headlights. Without a doubt - and this is just me assuming - I'm certain several persons have persecuted trans-gendered individuals in Christ's name anyway, and that's something that will continue to cast a shadow over me in your eyes.

That's a cross I have to bear. To me, you're my girl and very much a God breathed individual. To say you've changed lives for the better is not using enough words, and using enough words may not be possible. You'll always have my support, even if I fail to articulate it for the sake of maintaining a biblical worldview. <3

As they say, the best revenge is a life well lived. And it's only just starting. For you. Young'n. Making me feel old and shit, wth. I'll still outlive all of you, just see if I don't!

And now you're saying this is only the beginning? We're going on another trip? Well sure, but only if I get to ride shotgun. I ain't about that pedestrian life anymore and I can't change the radio station from the backseat. =P

In Arkhidon style, I have to say that this is the Reborn vibe right now.

edit:

I know there's a lot from your post that I haven't covered but you know me, I'm not good with certain things. As long as we've known each other, before and after you openly acknowledged your gender identity, there's a lot that hasn't changed about you. And the things that have changed is you progressing onto bigger and better things. So when you talk about all that stuff... well, I'm not really worried about you. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for. And for all the asshats out in the world who would do trans people harm, there are plenty of us (read as Rebornians) for whom that makes no difference in how we treat them. I would probably word things better if it wasn't 6am without sleeping last night

Wow Ame. This is completely incredible. I know I haven't been around here all that long but this place has changed my life for the better so much. If it wasn't for the brilliant game and community I wouldn't be happy in life.

You're an inspiration to us all and I hope you have a great life. Beat the statistics and prove the bigots and the haters that you can lead a brilliant, successful, happy life being who you are.

I know we have never really had a conversation but you are one of the most inspirational people I have had the pleasure of knowing. This post just shows how strong you are. I can relate to a lot of what you've been through (though I'm not transgender) and am proud of you for getting through it.

So happy birthday and thank you for making my and all of the other members of this community's so much better.

First of all, happy birthday!

You are an awesome person. I highly respect the way you are holding up, and express yourself and your superior morals in such an inspiring fassion. I think you are teaching a valuable lesson here and I am grateful for that.

Now, you seem well aware that the US is not a very friendly place. Maybe you could entertain the thought of living in a country where most of the population is down-to-Earth? I actually do know a couple places in Europe that are quite friendly, no matter who you are. Perhaps, someday, the US will be a cool place for you as well.

I needed to reply to this to thank you too.

I've been here for about a year, and I've gotten to know your personality. You're really funny and your brilliance is mind-boggling. I also wanted to say that, regardless of how much we change and perfect things, some people will always try to find a reason to complain. So just do whatever the hell makes you happy and live!! Life is great!! And I am proud and happy to be sharing it with you and everyone else!!

Have a great day and stay strong :]

Wow, there's so much I can relate to in that post - in my case, I wanted to die before I reached 25. That didn't happen. It would be nice to say I'm glad for that, but the truth is that I still think about death at the drop of a hat, the second things start to look bad. Nonetheless, I've decided not to die, at least for now. I'm in the process of transitioning, so hopefully, I will soon be able to start actually living.

Before I ran into Reborn, I had heard of a number of hacks, both for Pokemon and for other games, mostly through watching Let's Plays on Youtube. I never even considered downloading any of them, though.I can be quite paranoid, so I was working off the assumption that I was bound to get a virus or something if I did. Reborn was the first - and, so far, only - one that actually compelled me to try it for myself, not because of the gameplay - in fact, that just scared me more - but because of the story. I couldn't really tell you why; something in it just connected with me. I'm glad I took that risk, 'cause Reborn is a great game, much more to my liking than even the Pokemon games Nintendo produces these days.

I've never been very good at being open about my emotions, so I'll get right to the point. Thanks for making this game, Ame, and imparting your experiences into it. It meant a lot to me. It may not be finished yet, but you've still probably had a wider positive impact on people in your 23 years than most people do in their entire lives. Happy birthday (albeit belatedly)!

I've also had this disappointment of finding birthdays as arbitrary dates, that only remind oneself to be one year closer to die, once you stop being a child and no longer want to grow up more, so I'm not wishing any happy birthdays. However, I'm wishing Ame, Glaceon (and heck, whoever who reads this) many happy decades (at least) to live.

I've also had times at my life that made it seem not worth living anymore - but unlike many, I have been raised in a racist and homophobic family. I realized at a relatively early age how sick these views were, but even yet, that scratch may take a lot of time to heal. Rationally understanding that there is nothing wrong in different people for being different, I still felt awkward, uncomfortable, when close to people subject of my father's racism. That is being healed bit by bit by taking efforts in getting to know them, taking some interest in their lives, finding things in which I could relate myself to them.

The way of those who are different to force society to accept them by who they am, inevitably passes through not hiding, by going out with the head high, as proud of themselves as possible. Those of us who aren't subject to racism should also help by introducing the matter in conversations with everyone else. Expect to find skepticism If you try to open a very conservative person's views too fast: racism dies gradually. Being too enthusiastic or aggressive with some people about it may cause a bit more harm than good, so learn to evaluate the other person's position.

And finally, thanks to everyone who contributes to make the world a better place to live in - not only Ame can do good, you know? ;)

Ame, I've only been on this forum for a few months, and posted less then a dozen times but...

Can I just say that you're a role model? Not just for me, but for everyone here. You really are. You're inspiring. You're the kind of person I want to be when I grow up.

And reading this post... reading to makes me want to actually talk to people. To go out and help. To make friends again, without worrying about all of the stupid BS my social anxiety preys upon. To make myself a better person, and maybe change the world, even if it's just for one other person. To just... ignore my OCD and go outside for once.

Mostly, though? Mostly it just makes me want to hug you. And considering I usually go out of the way to avoid touching my family, let alone hug them, that's saying something.

And I wish I could just wave a magic wand and fix all of your problems. I wish I could tell you, face to face, that you deserve to live. That you deserve to be happy. That you deserve all of that and more, not just because of the the respect and awe I have for you, but because everyone deserves it. That we need you, that we love you, that we would all be worse off had we not met you.

You've helped so many people, Ame. I'm not... good with emotions. Or with people. And yet, you've inspired me to actually reach out, even if it's only a few times, through the safety of the internet. You've done what almost no one in my life has managed since about eight years ago. It might not seem like much, but writing this is absolutely and completely out of character for me. It's monumental.

So... if nothing else, just know that in my mind, July 31st is "I'm Glad Ame Exists" Day. And, also, that you're special enough to have replaced "Harry Potter's Birthday" in my mental holiday calendar, which is no small feat.

I really wish I could give you a hug and some s'mores cupcakes...

I should really check TJ more often

I'm lucky that third-grade me didn't figure out certain other things, like the fact that no matter how hard you try, it's impossible to die by strangling yourself.
And I'm lucky that by the time I realized that a run-of-the-mill kitchen knife was a better way to go about it, I had my best friend around me to pull the knife away and bawl himself into some snotty mess that made me realize that not everyone wanted me to die quite as much as I did.

This sounds far too familiar to me (it's a damn good thing you can't strangle yourself...) Luckily my best friend is a voice in my head that would never let me hurt myself that much, as annoying as I find her sometimes she's always there to remind me that somewhere inside even I want me to live

Ame, I very much look up to you. When I think about what kind of woman I want to become, you're quite literally the first person that comes to mind. For all your flaws, you're an amazing person. I don't know how I would have made it this long without our occasional talks. I'm more than happy that your here today, and I'll be glad to try to help you with that statistic breaking in six years and seventeen days. Whatever happens know that I, among many others who I'm certain share my sentiments around here, love you very much. This wonderful community exists because of you, so many of us have you to thank for our friendships

And even though I'm late and you said not to: Happy Birthday, Ame

• Administrators

I hope none of you take my lack of response to this point as distance a lack of appreciation , because it's so incredibly humbling to read everyone's support and words of encouragement, that I'm left positively speechless.

Well, that's not quite accurate-- the only thing I can do is say what I did in the first place: Thank you.

I'll continue to work hard for everyone's sake as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I wish I'd seen this sooner-- This hits awfully close to home, hah.

This is really inspiring, I don't even know what to say other than, well? Thank you. I'm pretty scared of the future, but I want to get there. I want to transition, and I want to live, and be happy. This is a good reminder that we'll have to keep going to throw those statistics into the dirt.

HAHA... my words and what I wanna say is all jumbled up, and i'm pretty much a month late (my bad...!), but happy birthday. Many, many happy birthdays, Ame.★

Ame jeez, what can I say? This is just...wow. But seriously, just know, no matter how dim things get for you, there's always, someone out there, us if at the very least, who wouldn't such a beautiful soul as yourself to lose their life to despair or or self-worthlessness. And wow, I had no idea you were transgender, though I knew you weren't a dude lol.

Hmmm but I think today so many of us become victim to the wrongs of humanity that we forget just what we as humans are really worth. I believe mankind's greatest aspect is their potential, in their potential to do incredible good or become an evil that surpasses that of even the most wicked of imagination. To damn humanity because of the wicked and their seemingly endless potential in the ways they can wrong one another, I realize is to not only forget those who try their hardest in doing well and right, but also holding yourself back from what you can do as it's harder to invest yourself in a world you hold contempt for and above all, fear.

The quote earlier in this thread, the one where animals are happier than humans because they accept their natural order or whatever, I have to disagree. Animals could never experience the happiness of getting one's degree, the happiness of falling in love, the joy of celebrating a friend's birthday, the elating success of beating that one boss in a difficult game, playing online in your favorite videogame, sharing endless laughter with friends, sharing with your family your baby's first :"daddy" or whatever,, etc. They don't possess the level of thinking we as humans have, the ability to surpass instinctive thought, to create art and culture, change the landscape to house entire populations, to connect across the world instantly via a computer, what humanity has achieved, right or wrong, is something no living thing on this planet has ever achieved. If anything, defying natural order and wanting more, questioning that status quo and outright changing it is what has allowed us to come so far. Our potential as humans is something that should be appreciated and never forgotten, for it is something that exist in each and every one of us, but first and foremost something we are fully responsible in how its used.

I believe it was also mentioned how society is progressively declining... How exactly, and at what point has this decline started? Is it when beating the ever living crap out of your wife as she was your property no longer became acceptable? Is it when public lynchings of "colored folk" on saturday afternoons went out of style? Homosexuals and trans having their voices heard now has triggered a path towards dystopia? That white supremacists losing power more and more day after day bringing the world towards inevitable apocalypse? That "culture" or "religion" is no longer a valid excuse to basically be a child raping, bigoted misogynist POS because your internalized mockery of a God says it'll get you in heaven? That now we need to actually take some freakin responsibility for the crap that comes out of moths, or more often these days, some social media post? There's a lot of garbage in this world, and a lot of change that is still needed, but modern society has shown that there's some serious effort being made in order to create progress, and that while we have a long way to go, since the road to improvement has no final destination, something at the very least is definitely getting done.But the moment we go, "oh it's too hard, the world sucks, screw it" is the moment we've thrown away any hope of anything getting better, and even worse spitting in the face of all the sacrifices made in getting us this far.

Truly, the human soul is the world's most beautiful thing, even if the most terrifying. Never forget that you possess this, and never willingly throw it away.

*tears up a little*

I'm somewhat new here, i've been playing since about episode 12 or 13. I joined the forums around episode 14 and even then i haven't really gotten on many of the threads around here. But i hear things from here and there and one of the things i always wondered was knowing more about the people behind the game. Mainly the game master (Ame).

After reading this i feel like i have learned so much about you, and not even just about the trans thing. Before i kind of saw you as a person who people seemed to think was cruel, in the sense that you took 'good' things and make our times harder. And i'm not saying it is or isn't true...but now its not different, just more. There is so much more, things we dont even know about. It reminds me that there isnt just a Developer behind the game. There is a person, who from this perspective, is just as great and awe inspiring as the game she brings about into existence.

NOW i know about your asperations and passion for this place i can feel whenever i play the game or am participating in the forums. Laughing at the puns, or the references. I love this place you have created. And i feel honored to play something filled with a part of what feels like someone's soul.

Thank you so much.

I hope no one EVER tears those beautiful ever growing wings off your back. I know its a selfish request, but please keep soaring so that we may fly up as high as you hopefully will continue to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that was really deep, now while I can't claim to be able to understand how you felt or even why you decide to tell us this now but all I can say is thank you, thank you for everything you have given us your game has the kind of difficulty that straddles the boundary between challenging and rage quit territories it is one of the best pokemon fan games that I have had the pleasure of playing so brava, congratulations and remember none of this could have happened without you, so please continue to make the world a little bit brighter and a lot more interesting and bring back gyarados! have a good day may this birthday bring forth many more to come.

• 2 months later...