Poison Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

On 7/5/2017 at 2:29 PM, Another Retired Shipper said:

Quilfish is in htat ice mountain (Ametrine i think) but Arbok works, i'd say get 3 arboks, but dont you have a species clause?

I do... I tend to make it too hard on myself, LOL

I can always cheese Garchomp and defeat it easily, but wanted to try and defeat it without stuff like Counter/Metal Burst/Destiny Bond this time... But if I see it is too troublesome, I'll just unleash my beast.

Edited by Jess

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jess said:

I do... I tend to make it too hard on yself, LOL

I can always cheese Garchomp and defeat it easily, but wanted to try and defeat it without stuff like Counter/Metal Burst/Destiny Bond this time... But if I see it is too troublesome, I'll just unleash my beast.

xD, good luck

11 hours ago, Another Retired Shipper said:

xD, good luck

Haha, thanks, your wish worked! Defeated him without a fear set, had nice strategy! Just recorded it, took a few soft resets, but in about 20 minutes, Solaris was defeated, without me having to use a single healing item :) 

7 hours ago, Jess said:

Haha, thanks, your wish worked! Defeated him without a fear set, had nice strategy! Just recorded it, took a few soft resets, but in about 20 minutes, Solaris was defeated, without me having to use a single healing item :) 

You've raised expectations now, you know that, right?

I expect a sick fight now

8 hours ago, Jess said:

Oooh, NICE, good job Jess, you got me extra hyped to see what happened :)

CHAPTER 6: Rivals, trick cyclists and... omens!

After defeating Shelly, I have to go to Grand Hall, and see what more I have to do to get my fucking Poison Badge... Fern already noticed Ame about Corey's suicide and he also has the Byxbysion key, by Cain. But, in order for him to reveal this piece of information, we had to fight him! After destroying him (derping a bit during the fight and allowing his Roserade to destroy a couple of my Pokemon), he calls me a noob, and leaves. We go to Beryl Cemetery and fight Cain, in order to earn ourselves the key to Byxbysion too! In this fight, we find out a few things:

1) My shiny Venomoth is useless, and will continue being useless till Move Relearner is accessible, because it learns actually usable moves TOO LATE, and it has already fallen off. Box it is, for you.

2) My Dustox finds itself in the "falling off" category too. Can't even win against a damn Dewott, with the field boosting Silver Wind. I'm a bit disappointed... But oh, well, might be useful again at some point. Boxed for now, as well.

3) Nidoking (even with a crappy moveset, like Cain's Nidoking) is a bloody beast. Feels great to underestimate it and try to grind up your weaklings. So much pain.

4) Opponents' evasiveness boosts make you miss EVERYTHING. Your evasiveness boosts just make the miss sometimes. @RedAlert I admit my mistake on our previous discussion. Just watch video. You'll know what I mean.

5) All Poison trainers are extremely weird. Ahem, apart from me... (Who am I kidding...) Corey didn't give us a Badge (would take like 1 second) before offing himself. Cain doesn't give us the fucking Wasteland key (would also take 1 second) before chasing Heather. I begin to see a pattern. Never have poisonous people around you.

After following Heather and arguing a bit, she manages to get herself arrested by weirdo Sigmund and his Gang, and we raid the Orphanage to break everyone out of there!

Anyways, no more pointless chit chat. Let's hop right into hell.

VS FERN/CAIN

Spoiler

The Orphanage raid was pretty uneventful, but a good chance to grind with the help of Shelly's Yanmega, and get my NFE mons closer to evolution! Miraculously, Nemesis, my Koffing evolved into Weezing! However, it remains one of my weakest team members... I am a bit disappointed by it, mostly because I had high expectations and they haven't been met yet. But I won't give up, I will make it work! ;) Regardless, here is Venam, spreading terror and poisonous gases in the Orphanage!

Spoiler

After that, we follow Anna, Shelly and the others (I only like Anna and Shelly... Bit annoyed by Cain now... Noel is too pessimistic for me and Charlotte is too cocky. Don't ask about Heather the brat) to the Underground Railnet, where we face a huge door we need to open to advance to Chrysolia region, and to Belrose Mansion. So, Shelly and Anna say I gotta ask Shade to turn on power... After defeating him in a Gym Battle! I hope spirits are more reliable than Poison leaders and I get what I deserve this time.

VS SHADE

Before fighting Shade, I decided enough is enough and performed a bit of grinding. So, my team for this Gym Battle looked like this!

Spoiler

arbok.gif

Cerastes, the Arbok (Female)

Shiny: No (Item: None)

Docile/Intimidate

• Sucker Punch
  • Acid Spray
  • Crunch
  • Glare

skuntank.gif

Hemera, the Skuntank (Female)

Shiny: No (Item: Metronome)

Hasty/Aftermath

• Slash
  • Flame Burst
  • Play Rough
  • Acid Spray

victreebel.gif

Dryad, the Victreebel (Female) (When she learned Razor Leaf, I used that Leaf Stone!)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Rose Incense)

Lonely/Gluttony

• Acid
  • Razor Leaf
  • Knock Off
  • Nature Power

muk.gif

Medea, the Muk (Female) (Yep, she also evolved!)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Iron Ball)

Timid/Sticky Hold

• Mud Bomb
  • Sludge Wave
  • Minimize
  • Fling

weezing.gif

Nemesis, the Weezing (Female)

Mild/Levitate

• Assurance
  • Gyro Ball
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Haze

tentacruel.gif

Charybdis, the Tentacruel (Male)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Sea Incense)

Relaxed/Liquid Ooze

• Acid Spray
  • Water Pulse
  • Barrier
  • Toxic Spikes

So, without further ado... (And after Shade showed us some creepy omens of what happened/is going to happen) Here is the big battle vs Spooky Scary Entity!

Spoiler

After defeating Shade, we received our 4th Gym Badge (the Omen Badge), raised level cap to 45 and got the TM for Shadow Claw! Also, we saw on Shade's screen how our friends got all (apart from Cain) captured by Sirius, and how we now need TMX Strength and Aya's Gym Badge to save them...

So, we saw Cain sailing on his Muk to Apophyll to fight Kiki and earn TMX Strength, while I (for some reason my Muk can't surf on slime, while Cain's can) have to help Amaria raid the Blacksteam Factory, which is the source of the Azurine Lake's pollution... Oh, btw, of fucking course Cain didn't hand us the Byxbysion key. Why would he, giving a key to someone is a tedious, time consuming procedure that demands wholehearted commitment from all body, mind and soul simultaneously... Whatever, Cain. I'll do it myself!

In the next chapter of my poooiiisonous monorun!

Till the next time, enjoy everyone! ;):) 

4 minutes ago, Jess said:

CHAPTER 6: Rivals, trick cyclists and... omens!

After defeating Shelly, I have to go to Grand Hall, and see what more I have to do to get my fucking Poison Badge... Fern already noticed Ame about Corey's suicide and he also has the Byxbysion key, by Cain. But, in order for him to reveal this piece of information, we had to fight him! After destroying him (derping a bit during the fight and allowing his Roserade to destroy a couple of my Pokemon), he calls me a noob, and leaves. We go to Beryl Cemetery and fight Cain, in order to earn ourselves the key to Byxbysion too! In this fight, we find out a few things:

1) My shiny Venomoth is useless, and will continue being useless till Move Relearner is accessible, because it learns actually usable moves TOO LATE, and it has already fallen off. Box it is, for you.

2) My Dustox finds itself in the "falling off" category too. Can't even win against a damn Dewott, with the field boosting Silver Wind. I'm a bit disappointed... But oh, well, might be useful again at some point. Boxed for now, as well.

3) Nidoking (even with a crappy moveset, like Cain's Nidoking) is a bloody beast. Feels great to underestimate it and try to grind up your weaklings. So much pain.

4) Opponents' evasiveness boosts make you miss EVERYTHING. Your evasiveness boosts just make the miss sometimes. @RedAlert I admit my mistake on our previous discussion. Just watch video. You'll know what I mean.

5) All Poison trainers are extremely weird. Ahem, apart from me... (Who am I kidding...) Corey didn't give us a Badge (would take like 1 second) before offing himself. Cain doesn't give us the fucking Wasteland key (would also take 1 second) before chasing Heather. I begin to see a pattern. Never have poisonous people around you.

After following Heather and arguing a bit, she manages to get herself arrested by weirdo Sigmund and his Gang, and we raid the Orphanage to break everyone out of there!

Anyways, no more pointless chit chat. Let's hop right into hell.

VS FERN/CAIN

Hide contents

The Orphanage raid was pretty uneventful, but a good chance to grind with the help of Shelly's Yanmega, and get my NFE mons closer to evolution! Miraculously, Nemesis, my Koffing evolved into Weezing! However, it remains one of my weakest team members... I am a bit disappointed by it, mostly because I had high expectations and they haven't been met yet. But I won't give up, I will make it work! ;) Regardless, here is Venam, spreading terror and poisonous gases in the Orphanage!

Hide contents

After that, we follow Anna, Shelly and the others (I only like Anna and Shelly... Bit annoyed by Cain now... Noel is too pessimistic for me and Charlotte is too cocky. Don't ask about Heather the brat) to the Underground Railnet, where we face a huge door we need to open to advance to Chrysolia region, and to Belrose Mansion. So, Shelly and Anna say I gotta ask Shade to turn on power... After defeating him in a Gym Battle! I hope spirits are more reliable than Poison leaders and I get what I deserve this time.

VS SHADE

Before fighting Shade, I decided enough is enough and performed a bit of grinding. So, my team for this Gym Battle looked like this!

Hide contents

arbok.gif

Cerastes, the Arbok (Female)

Shiny: No (Item: None)

Docile/Intimidate

• Sucker Punch
  • Acid Spray
  • Crunch
  • Glare

skuntank.gif

Hemera, the Skuntank (Female)

Shiny: No (Item: Metronome)

Hasty/Aftermath

• Slash
  • Flame Burst
  • Play Rough
  • Acid Spray

victreebel.gif

Dryad, the Victreebel (Female) (When  it learned Razor Leaf, I used that Leaf Stone!)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Rose Incense)

Lonely/Gluttony

• Acid
  • Razor Leaf
  • Knock Off
  • Nature Power

muk.gif

Medea, the Muk (Female) (Yep, she also evolved!)

Timid/Sticky Hold

• Mud Bomb
  • Sludge Wave
  • Minimize
  • Fling

weezing.gif

Nemesis, the Weezing (Female)

Mild/Levitate

• Assurance
  • Gyro Ball
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Haze

tentacruel.gif

Charybdis, the Tentacruel (Male)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Sea Incense)

Relaxed/Liquid Ooze

• Acid Spray
  • Water Pulse
  • Barrier
  • Toxic Spikes

So, without further ado... (And after Shade showed us some creepy omens of what happened/is going to happen) Here is the big battle vs Spooky Scary Entity!

Reveal hidden contents

After defeating Shade, we received our 4th Gym Badge (the Omen Badge), raised level cap to 45 and got the TM for Shadow Claw! Also, we saw on Shade's screen how our friends got all (apart from Cain) captured by Sirius, and how we now need TMX Strength and Aya's Gym Badge to save them...

So, we saw Cain sailing on his Muk to Apophyll to fight Kiki and earn TMX Strength, while I (for some reason my Muk can't surf on slime, while Cain's can) have to help Amaria raid the Blacksteam Factory, which is the source of the Azurine Lake's pollution... Oh, btw, of fucking course Cain didn't hand us the Byxbysion key. Why would he, giving a key to someone is a tedious, time consuming procedure that demands wholehearted commitment from all body, mind and soul simultaneously... Whatever, Cain. I'll do it myself!

In the next chapter of my poooiiisonous monorun!

Till the next time, enjoy everyone! ;):) 

Wow. You sound like you're really hating Cain. o.o Just please tell me you still like him better than Fern and we're good. Haha. Very nicely done though. ^_^ And Weezing will be amazing later in the game. Trust me. :)

5 minutes ago, Awesome_One said:

Wow. You sound like you're really hating Cain. o.o Just please tell me you still like him better than Fern and we're good. Haha. Very nicely done though. ^_^ And Weezing will be amazing later in the game. Trust me. :)

Haha, I like Cain, don't get me wrong.

But I don't like the way the game treats him as a roadblock to us, in order to follow the plot. Cain is a cool character and doesn't deserve this.

I'd prefer some more elaborate way to prevent us from accessing Wasteland.

The excuse that Cain just avoids it because he doesn't want us to meet his family still applies, but adds an insecurity to his character, which controverses his whole "I am who I am and I fully support my choices" way of living. And I don't like that, as I like thinking of him as a confident person who is proud of himself and doesn't feel the need to apologise to anyone about his preferences and life choices.

Edit: I've just entered Byxbysion Wasteland. And Weezing still hasn't shone in a single fight... :( 

Edited by Jess

Just now, Jess said:

Haha, I like Cain, don't get me wrong.

But I don't like the way the game treats him as a roadblock to us, in order to follow the plot. Cain is a cool character and doesn't deserve this.

I'd prefer some more elaborate way to prevent us from accessing Wasteland.

The excuse that Cain just avoids it because he doesn't want us to meet his family still applies, but adds an insecurity to his character, which controverses his whole "I am who I am and I fully support my choices" way of living. And I don't like that, as I like thinking of him as a confident person who is proud of himself and doesn't feel the need to apologise to anyone about his preferences and life choices.

Or like why couldn't he give it to us (HA! He'd enjoy that.) when you win the battle but you still decide to help out anyways. I mean we already know his family is alright. Our character would still choose to help him, even if he gave us the key before running off to see Heather.

1 minute ago, Awesome_One said:

Or like why couldn't he give it to us (HA! He'd enjoy that.) when you win the battle but you still decide to help out anyways. I mean we already know his family is alright. Our character would still choose to help him, even if he gave us the key before running off to see Heather.

Well, no clue what other players would do... I can't imagine of a possible way to stall us from getting in Byxbysion before the Apophyll arc... But I'd like something that doesn't make a character such as Cain behave so out of his personality for plot-advancing purposes. Just some food for thought... Sorry if I'm criticising Reborn too hard on this one! :) 

That thing about the poison type trainers might not be right. cain tries to be a nice friend(with his offhandish comments) and Aya saves our life. It's just Corey that's not normal. I agree though that they are a bit unhelpful .

2 minutes ago, Jess said:

Well, no clue what other players would do... I can't imagine of a possible way to stall us from getting in Byxbysion before the Apophyll arc... But I'd like something that doesn't make a character such as Cain behave so out of his personality for plot-advancing purposes. Just some food for thought... Sorry if I'm criticising Reborn too hard on this one! :) 

I think you're fine. I haven't seen anyone talk about Reborn (at least character wise) through a run through of this... I think I know what I'm gonna do after my Ice Type Mono Run is done! :D

On 7/5/2017 at 7:32 AM, Jess said:

I do... I tend to make it too hard on myself, LOL

If you want I can trade you a qwilfish or some poison types in general if you don't have an issue with that

30 minutes ago, rayyan said:

That thing about the poison type trainers might not be right. cain tries to be a nice friend(with his offhandish comments) and Aya saves our life. It's just Corey that's not normal. I agree though that they are a bit unhelpful .

I was just exaggerating the fact that both Poison trainers we've encountered so far aren't willing to give us what we have won... As I said about Cain, I really like him. My (productive) criticism is towards the game and the way it (ab)uses Cain to guide us to the next plot site. It just strangles Cain's great character development this way. 

And yes, Aya is nice and saves us, might be an introvert to the point of antisocial, but she DOES have a nice personality.

Corey is nice too. A victim of circumstance, I'd say, as he fought to punish Team Meteor from the inside, and lost the faith of his daughter because he never had the chance to explain to her. I really like Corey, if I'm honest. And we will avenge him against Sirius, eventually.

10 minutes ago, StarryDreamerKitten said:

If you want I can trade you a qwilfish or some poison types in general if you don't have an issue with that

Thank you very much for your offer, but I'm fine! I already defeated Garchomp actually, fight will be uploaded in a couple of chapters. 

1 hour ago, Jess said:

Why would he, giving a key to someone is a tedious, time consuming procedure that demands wholehearted commitment from all body, mind and soul simultaneously... 

I feel like that's the reason it takes him so long. He needs to be fully prepared, both mentally and physically and that demands a lot of concentration and energy

Just now, HongaarseBeer said:

I feel like that's the reason it takes him so long. He needs to be fully prepared, both mentally and physically and that demands a lot of concentration and energy

The explanation is much simpler. Cain is a tease, so he teases Venam. :D 

Hahaha, what did I tell you *smiles smugly*

In any case, you made Shade look super easy.

1 hour ago, Jess said:

Cain doesn't give us the fucking Wasteland key (would also take 1 second) before chasing Heather. I begin to see a pattern. Never have poisonous people around you.

Not really a great coincidence, but I wrote down the exact same thing in today's post of my grass mono, so it's nice to know someone shares my thoughts :D 

1 minute ago, RedAlert said:

Hahaha, what did I tell you *smiles smugly*

That thing minimized once and I missed like 6/8 next attacks. I just kept going to see how much would that ridiculousness last! xD

2 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

In any case, you made Shade look super easy.

I think it worked pretty well, yes :) Honestly, Poison types are amazing defensively, so this makes this run feel very smooth so far! :) 

5 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

Not really a great coincidence, but I wrote down the exact same thing in today's post of my grass mono, so it's nice to know someone shares my thoughts :D 

Yes, it is sad that Cain (one of my favourite characters when it comes to his personality traits) is used this way by the game. Just like a plot advancer. I love how he is caring, funny, confident and a good friend. I just think that he doesn't deserve being used as a road sign with the inscription "APOPHYLL BEACH THIS WAY" at this point of the game. :( 

15 minutes ago, Jess said:

I think it worked pretty well, yes :) Honestly, Poison types are amazing defensively, so this makes this run feel very smooth so far! :) 

I agree. I always thought Skuntank wasn't much, but I used it once in Rejuvenation and it was absolutely phenomenal. There are some Pokemon that are so underused but are so good ingame...

15 minutes ago, Jess said:

Yes, it is sad that Cain (one of my favourite characters when it comes to his personality traits) is used this way by the game. Just like a plot advancer. I love how he is caring, funny, confident and a good friend. I just think that he doesn't deserve being used as a road sign with the inscription "APOPHYLL BEACH THIS WAY" at this point of the game. :(

Indeed, as funny as it may sound, I find Cain to be the most likable out of all the characters we've had major interactions with - Victoria is somewhat whiny, Shelly is the overdone scared little girl, Fern is a fern - the entire game is filled with such weirdos! Most of the characters, while being well-meaning, end up messing things up rather than actually being of any use whatsoever - starting with Amaria - she's supposed to be one of the highest ranking leaders in Reborn. I mean, yes. And she's put down by a Level 22 Tangrowth immediately. Now I'm not saying she should have the strength to overpower a Pokemon, but she should be at least smart/skilled/experienced enough to be prepared to face danger in a place that literally screams "danger". (Ignore us fallling into the Nuzleaf trap, btw).

In short, a lot of the characters are well developed in some areas, and despite loving the game, I can't help but agree that some aspects about them have been thoroughly misused.

Edited by RedAlert

2 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

I agree. I always thought Skuntank wasn't much, but I used it once in Rejuvenation and it was absolutely phenomenal. There are some Pokemon that are so underused but are so good ingame...

Indeed, as funny as it may sound, I find Cain to be the most likable out of all the characters we've had major interactions with - Victoria is somewhat whiny, Shelly is the overdone scared little girl, Fern is a fern - the entire game is filled with such weirdos! Most of the characters, while being well-meaning, end up messing things up rather than actually being of any use whatsoever - starting with Amaria - she's supposed to be one of the highest ranking leaders in Reborn. I mean, yes. And she's put down by a Level 22 Tangrowth immediately. Now I'm not saying she should have the strength to overpower a Pokemon, but she should be at least smart/skilled/experienced enough to face danger in a place that literally screams "danger". (Ignore us fallling into the Nuzleaf trap, btw).

In short, a lot of the characters are well developed in some areas, and despite loving the game, I can't help but agree that some aspects about them have been thoroughly misused.

Yes, Reborn got me to love Skuntank and Garbodor... And many others!

I disliked Victoria till the end of E15 content. Then, in E16, BANG! She became confident, determined, vicious, but not to the point of pointless cruelty and gore, such as Titania. And fuelled by her will to avenge her sensei, Kiki. I love Victoria's new polished personality, because it shows how characters develop through hardships.

Shelly shows similar signs during the climb of Ametrine mountain, after reconciling with Cal.

Fern is a fern, you said everything with that. xD

I'm eager to see Victoria and Cal's "reunion" in the next episodes... Oh, boy, this will be intense!

When it comes to your last statement, I agree. However, even so, Pokemon Reborn has a MUCH MUCH deeper plot than any original pokemon games and shows greater character development than any of the main series games, which treat Gym Leaders like Badge delivering bots.

However, it is nice to always find tiny flaws, because productive criticism is what makes the game we all love, even better! :D 

I have to say that Cain gave you some trouble; because of that Minimize your Dustox has missed so many times o.o. Anyway, you have beaten Shade with not too many problems and that's good :). Every time Fern loses a battle i feel very happy :D. You are doing great Jess, like always ;) 

2 minutes ago, LykosHand said:

I have to say that Cain gave you some trouble; because of that Minimize your Dustox has missed so many times o.o. Anyway, you have beaten Shade with not too many problems and that's good :). Every time Fern loses a battle i feel very happy :D. You are doing great Jess, like always ;) 

Thanks! :D 

Yes, it tends to become a trend, my rivals giving me problems while Gym Leaders go down first try. Maybe I underestimate them. But really, all those misses after only 1 Minimize, it was a bit ridiculous xD

I will probably upload a couple more chapters in weekend, since I am a good bit ahead in recording (just defeated Aya). 

But got some breeding and EV/level training to do before advancing with the story at the moment, so, after the next couple chapters I might need a few days... lol

Please don't kill me xD

4 minutes ago, Jess said:

Thanks! :D 

Yes, it tends to become a trend, my rivals giving me problems while Gym Leaders go down first try. Maybe I underestimate them. But really, all those misses after only 1 Minimize, it was a bit ridiculous xD

I will probably upload a couple more chapters in weekend, since I am a good bit ahead in recording (just defeated Aya). 

But got some breeding and EV/level training to do before advancing with the story at the moment, so, after the next couple chapters I might need a few days... lol

Please don't kill me xD

You're welcome ;)

Eheh as i always say, never to underestimate your opponents :). Yes i agree with you, i call it bad luck. 

Ah i see. Nah don't worry i don't want to kill you, i can wait :D

Spoiler

Maybe not, because sometimes i can be a devil muahahahah

Spoiler

Nah, it's not true. I just wanted to make a joke :P