Poison Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

Just now, Jess said:

After 2 monotypes (one of which Bug) with a limited/no- healing item clause? Nope, I am not innocent anymore :P 

Hahaha, same for me. The more often I played Reborn, the more strict I became with my usage of items. I read about your bug-run and I gotta say, I was kind of surprised that there was someone who's actually nuts enough to that :D 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Hahaha, same for me. The more often I played Reborn, the more strict I became with my usage of items. I read about your bug-run and I gotta say, I was kind of surprised that there was someone who's actually nuts enough to that :D 

Haha, my first ever special run was my Bug mono :) 

Oh, by the way, I got a female Combee in my Bug mono file, evolved it and confirmed it. It learns Slash right after evolution, at level 21, and Power Gem at 25.

Just now, Jess said:

Haha, my first ever special run was my Bug mono :) 

Oh, by the way, I got a female Combee in my Bug mono file, evolved it and confirmed it. It learns Slash right after evolution, at level 21, and Power Gem at 25.

So your first time was with bugs, kinda creepy :D Water-mono for me.

Dang it... well, can't help it now. I don't want to train any other flying mon atm.

12 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

So your first time was with bugs, kinda creepy :D Water-mono for me.

Dang it... well, can't help it now. I don't want to train any other flying mon atm.

A Noctowl with Uproar would be very useful. It is tanky and hits quite hard.

I used to dislike Bugs, but now they are my favourite type. Really needs strategy over brute force to emerge victorious with them. Plus, they have great type coverage with many secondary typings. If you are a brawn-over-brains trainer, do a Fire monotype, if you are a strategist, use Bugs :) 

I find Water a bit dull... So many of them and only a handful I find interesting to use... Like Swanna and Lapras! Also Kingdra, Azumarill, Tentacruel and Primarina are awesome. All the others though are kinda meh in my eyes :( 

Edit: Omgomgomg forgot Araquanid, the best of all Water types. <3

Edited by Jess

1 minute ago, Jess said:

A Noctowl with Uproar would be very useful. It is tanky and hits quite hard.

I used to dislike Bugs, but now they are my favourite type. Really needs strategy over brute force to emerge victorious with them. Plus, they have great type coverage with many secondary typings. If you are a brawls-over-brains trainer, do a Fire monotype, if you are a strategist, use Bugs :) 

I find Water a bit dull... So many of them and only a handful I find interesting to use... Like Swanna and Lapras! Also Kingdra, Azumarill, Tentacruel and Primarina are awesome. All the others though are kinda meh in my eyes :( 

I never got to like Noctowl, I think it looks are just... strange xD

I never really liked most Bugs. I do like Scolipede, Escavalier and Forretress though. Durant is pretty cool too. I was pretty much a brawn over brain trainer all my life, until I started playing Reborn :D I don't like fire, since water is kinda my favorite type. Fire is such a basic typing.

I'm a big fan of Vaporeon, Slowbro/Slowking and Alomomola. As one can see I enjoy playing tanks.

2 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

I never got to like Noctowl, I think it looks are just... strange xD

I never really liked most Bugs. I do like Scolipede, Escavalier and Forretress though. Durant is pretty cool too. I was pretty much a brawn over brain trainer all my life, until I started playing Reborn :D I don't like fire, since water is kinda my favorite type. Fire is such a basic typing.

I'm a big fan of Vaporeon, Slowbro/Slowking and Alomomola. As one can see I enjoy playing tanks.

I got to like Bugs due to their elegance. Plus I enjoyed proving that they are strong under the proper battle plan. 

Water is a solid defensive typing, so Water tanks are very good. I'm not a huge fan of Eeveelutions, even though I like their concept. I can't really explain why Water feels dull to me. It just doesn't excite me at all. Purely subjective reasons...

Alomomola is an anagram, which makes it interesting. And the Slow brothers are OK... Just in the normal category of dullness, lol.

Just now, Jess said:

I got to like Bugs due to their elegance. Plus I enjoyed proving that they are strong under the proper battle plan. 

Water is a solid defensive typing, so Water tanks are very good. I'm not a huge fan of Eeveelutions, even though I like their concept. I can't really explain why Water feels dull to me. It just doesn't excite me at all. Purely subjective reasons...

Alomomola is an anagram, which makes it interesting. And the Slow brothers are OK... Just in the normal category of dullness, lol.

Hmm... the bugs I know never showed me their elegance. Just crawling and clicking and fluttering *shudders* but yeah, bugs definitly can be strong, even though their stats often aren't.

Second best defense type after steel I think? I learned to like the Eeveelutions thx to Vaporeon :D  And I admit that water isn't really flashy or spectacular at all, but that kind of simpleness and dullness is what I like. I'm a simple man, afterall.

13 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Hmm... the bugs I know never showed me their elegance. Just crawling and clicking and fluttering *shudders* but yeah, bugs definitly can be strong, even though their stats often aren't.

Second best defense type after steel I think? I learned to like the Eeveelutions thx to Vaporeon :D  And I admit that water isn't really flashy or spectacular at all, but that kind of simpleness and dullness is what I like. I'm a simple man, afterall.

Come on, fluttering IS elegance. I've loved observing ants when I was little. And bees and wasps and ladybugs as well. Even spiders, I kept silent, put them on a piece of newspaper and release them out of house, in fear of mum killing them.

What I can't stand is mosquitoes. Only ones I absolutely hate. The Hercules beetle, which Heracross is inspired from, is absolutely a gentle giant!

But, the absolute best bugs, are these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylliidae. Leavanny is absolutely adorable, and inspired by these :D 

Edited by Jess

5 minutes ago, Jess said:

Come on, fluttering IS elegance. I've loved observing ants when I was little. And bees and wasps and ladybugs as well. Even spiders, I kept silent, put them on a piece of newspaper and release them out of house, in fear of mum killing them.

What I can't stand is mosquitoes. Only ones I absolutely hate. The Hercules beetle, which Heracross is inspired from, is absolutely a gentle giant!

But, the absolute best bugs, are these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylliidae. Leavanny is absolutely adorable, and inspired by these :D 

Yuk! Ew! Pfui! Bah! The more or less only thing that I'm disgusted by to the point of fear are spiders. And while ants and butterflies are okay, any flutterthingy that can flutter against my face is a no-go D: I never saw a real Hercules beetle, but yes. Those ones are cool. But not spiders!

28 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Yuk! Ew! Pfui! Bah! The more or less only thing that I'm disgusted by to the point of fear are spiders. And while ants and butterflies are okay, any flutterthingy that can flutter against my face is a no-go D: I never saw a real Hercules beetle, but yes. Those ones are cool. But not spiders!

You know that 5 times more people are killed annually in the US by horses than by spiders? They are harmless and only attack when (heavily) provoked. Like shoving your hand in their nest. Plus, their webs are architectural/geometrical and mechanical marvels, and, additionally, spider silk has the same average tensile strength as steel (about 1 GPa).

They are a bit intimidating at sight, but truly marvellous creatures.

Edited by Jess

Good battle with Radomus. The first time you have lost with him, but it's normal Radomus was much more advanced specially with his Malamar. With a second attempt, you beat him without too much trouble, and you won against one of your weaknesses in this Run, congratulations Jess :D. I'm curious about when you will battle Luna (don't ask me why but i took a lot of time to defeat her xD)

1 minute ago, LykosHand said:

Good battle with Radomus. The first time you have lost with him, but it's normal Radomus was much more advanced specially with his Malamar. With a second attempt, you beat him without too much trouble, and you won against one of your weaknesses in this Run, congratulations Jess :D. I'm curious about when you will battle Luna (don't ask me why but i took a lot of time to defeat her xD)

Thanks Lykos! (I shall call you wolfie, since Lykos means wolf in Greek :D) This makes you some kind of distant relative with @Wolfox, right? xD

Yes, in my first try Trick Room screwed me up and then Malamar set up with Contrary and it was too late to come back :( Yep, weakness #1 gone, now only Terra left! Well, and Hardy and Titania, since they resist Poison type moves, but I'll think about them when time comes! Will have Salazzle by that time as well ;) And my Nido-Royal couple to wreck house!

Luna chapter is the next one, so sit tight! Will be up in a couple days ;) Only thing I'm gonna say is TOO MANY MALAMARS ARE BAD FOR HEALTH!

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

Thanks Lykos! (I shall call you wolfie, since Lykos means wolf in Greek :D) This makes you some kind of distant relative with @Wolfox, right? xD

Yes, in my first try Trick Room screwed me up and then Malamar set up with Contrary and it was too late to come back :( Yep, weakness #1 gone, now only Terra left! Well, and Hardy and Titania, since they resist Poison type moves, but I'll think about them when time comes! Will have Salazzle by that time as well ;) And my Nido-Royal couple to wreck house!

Luna chapter is the next one, so sit tight! Will be up in a couple days ;) Only thing I'm gonna say is TOO MANY MALAMARS ARE BAD FOR HEALTH!

You're welcome Jess :). Yes you can call me wolfie that is no problem ;). Yeah indeed, i really like the word "wolf" in greek and then i did " a kind of word pun" with hand and wolf in greek xD. Yes i have to agree with you :). Yes unfortunately it was too late to counterattack Radomus, you are right. Yeah Terra with her Garchomp, i hope you will haven't too much trouble with her. Ahah that's right Jess ;). Very well, i can't to wait to see this :). Ahah i fully agree with you xD

On 20.7.2017 at 1:58 AM, Jess said:

You know that 5 times more people are killed annually in the US by horses than by spiders? They are harmless and only attack when (heavily) provoked. Like shoving your hand in their nest. Plus, their webs are architectural/geometrical and mechanical marvels, and, additionally, spider silk has the same average tensile strength as steel (about 1 GPa).

They are a bit intimidating at sight, but truly marvellous creatures.

Duh, but I'm not living in the US, so why care about people getting killed by horses there? :P And I won't deny that spiders are useful and their webs are cool and all, but they still give me the creeps.

EDIT: sadly you were right Jess. Had to train my Vespiqen to level 25 for it to gain Power Gem. Well, not that I needed to that grind. Charmeleon kinda overdid it with her Dragonrage xD

Edited by RhythmMelody

11 hours ago, Jess said:

And he didn't even bother trying to Scald Drapion with Slowking, but used Trick Room for 2nd turn in a row. I was like "Huh? Why set it to unset it next turn?"

This made me face palm a lot... Really strange behaviour from our dear Radomus

5 hours ago, RhythmMelody said:

Duh, but I'm not living in the US, so why care about people getting killed by horses there? :P And I won't deny that spiders are useful and their webs are cool and all, but they still give me the creeps.

EDIT: sadly you were right Jess. Had to train my Vespiqen to level 25 for it to gain Power Gem. Well, not that I needed to that grind. Charmeleon kinda overdid it with her Dragonrage xD

Haha, yes, I've seen people on youtube solo'ing Julia with Charmeleon's Dragon Rage. Imho, Game Freak should nerf it a bit (maybe do it same to Night Shade-dealing damage equal to your level), because 40 HP true damage as early as level 17, is a bit ridiculous xD

Or keep it as it is, and give it to charmeleon at level 25, instead of 17. It's FAR TOO EARLY!

2 hours ago, HongaarseBeer said:

This made me face palm a lot... Really strange behaviour from our dear Radomus

Probably he was terrified of Drapion with +3 Attack... And lost coordination of his thoughts, LOL! Even with Trick Room up and if Gardevoir Moonblasted Drapion, I'd still have Amoonguss, Victreebel and Arbok, who would all be "faster" than Gardevoir under Trick Room. I think Gardevoir would go down next turn to a Leaf Blade maybe, or to a Sucker Punch by Arbok and 2 turns of Poison, and Slowking would die too to Amoonguss' Giga Drain and Victreebel's Leaf Storm/Blade. 

I believe I had such an advantage by then, that it would be relatively impossible to lose, even with Trick Room up and Drapion down... 

But we'll never know cause Radomus lost the famous "coordination between King and Queen" he was talking about in the last turn :D 

2 minutes ago, Jess said:

Haha, yes, I've seen people on youtube solo'ing Julia with Charmeleon's Dragon Rage. Imho, Game Freak should nerf it a bit (maybe do it same to Night Shade-dealing damage equal to your level), because 40 HP true damage as early as level 17, is a bit ridiculous xD

Or keep it as it is, and give it to charmeleon at level 25, instead of 17. It's FAR TOO EARLY!

yep that is why I see charmeleon as the best early game starter cause it reks everything up to and including the 2nd gym

31 minutes ago, St0mpa said:

yep that is why I see charmeleon as the best early game starter cause it reks everything up to and including the 2nd gym

Yes, early game becomes easy to the point of brainless, since only thing you have to do is spamming Dragon Rage with Charmeleon and OHKO 90% of things.

I have used Spinarak/Ariados with Night Shade in my Bug monotype, but it was nothing compared to Charmeleon's Dragon Rage. Damage of Night Shade is equal to your level (not the absurd 40) and Spinarak/Ariados are too slow, so they have to tank firt before using it anyways. Charmeleon is pretty fast for this point of game, so it only makes things even worse! 

1 hour ago, Jess said:

46 minutes ago, Jess said:

Yes, early game becomes easy to the point of brainless, since only thing you have to do is spamming Dragon Rage with Charmeleon and OHKO 90% of things.

I have used Spinarak/Ariados with Night Shade in my Bug monotype, but it was nothing compared to Charmeleon's Dragon Rage. Damage of Night Shade is equal to your level (not the absurd 40) and Spinarak/Ariados are too slow, so they have to tank firt before using it anyways. Charmeleon is pretty fast for this point of game, so it only makes things even worse! 

It's not hard to solo Julia with Dragonrage. It took 7 and she was down, only Elextrode has like 45hp and Charmeleon can even outspeed Emolga and Blitzle.

I agree that Dragonrage is far to strong in the early, but I don't really care, because I never take Charmander as my starter. Only did it for the Mono-run this time ^^

I tried using Ariados once, duh. Quite the disappointment when I found out that Spider Web is NOT Sticky Web xD

4 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

It's not hard to solo Julia with Dragonrage. It took 7 and she was down, only Elextrode has like 45hp and Charmeleon can even outspeed Emolga and Blitzle.

I agree that Dragonrage is far to strong in the early, but I don't really care, because I never take Charmander as my starter. Only did it for the Mono-run this time ^^

I tried using Ariados once, duh. Quite the disappointment when I found out that Spider Web is NOT Sticky Web xD

Haha, wouldn't Sticky Web be a bit OP if you got it as early as Spider Web (lv. 32 I think)? Ariados is great just gotta weaken a team and take advantage of priority moves. Or find the best timing (when someone will heal) and do a super effective Sniper Scope Lens Cross Poison ;) So good!

Just now, Jess said:

Haha, wouldn't Sticky Web be a bit OP if you got it as early as Spider Web (lv. 32 I think)? Ariados is great just gotta weaken a team and take advantage of priority moves. Or find the best timing (when someone will heal) and do a super effective Sniper Scope Lens Cross Poison ;) So good!

Yeah, with Sucker Punch and Shadowsneak Ariados can be quite useful to finish lowlifes.  Dunno though actually. Ariados is slow and not that tanky afterall. And since I like tanks and those are usually slow, I would have loved a Sticky Web :D 

@Jess that Dragalge is beastly cool! I'm happy he's doing really well. I really like the name too!

Btw, I was surprised to see you use Clear Smog against Roserade when you already took the trouble of acid spraying it in the first place, and God, were those flinches annoying, especially when you took care in weakening damage in the first place! I'd give anything to see your face for those :P

As always, great job!

6 hours ago, RedAlert said:

@Jess that Dragalge is beastly cool! I'm happy he's doing really well. I really like the name too!

Btw, I was surprised to see you use Clear Smog against Roserade when you already took the trouble of acid spraying it in the first place, and God, were those flinches annoying, especially when you took care in weakening damage in the first place! I'd give anything to see your face for those :P

As always, great job!

I'm glad you like the name! And, by the way, he is an absolute beast!

Clear Smog was my last hope, as Giga Drain is 4x resisted :( So when it didn't OHKO, I knew it was game over and I needed to try again. But, in all honesty, I thought Clear Smog only reset the bbuffs of the opponent to 0 stage, not the lowered one as well... So, I hadn't done my homework there! :D 

Yes, Fern then said "try not being cheap"... When he got 2/2 flinches with Extrasensory (1% chance of it happening 2 times in a row) after Payapa Berries... Come on Fern, you had all the luck in the world, and still lost. It even rained, preventing my Skuntank from setting the field on fire with Flame Burst! xD And it was Grassy Terrain! How many more favouring conditions does Fern need to win?

Thank you @RedAlert! I'm taking good care of Oceanus :) 

5 hours ago, Another Retired Shipper said:

>Bennett's forbidden crush

LOL

also i swear that Roserade is genetically modified to be 100% more annoying

A non-STAB Extrasensory by Roserade always OHKO'es EVERYTHING that is weak to Psychic. A non-STAB supereffective move we use vs ANYTHING only deals about 70% of their max HP. Cause reasons. PJSalt

3 hours ago, Jess said:

I'm glad you like the name! And, by the way, he is an absolute beast!

Clear Smog was my last hope, as Giga Drain is 4x resisted :( So when it didn't OHKO, I knew it was game over and I needed to try again. But, in all honesty, I thought Clear Smog only reset the bbuffs of the opponent to 0 stage, not the lowered one as well... So, I hadn't done my homework there! :D 

Yes, Fern then said "try not being cheap"... When he got 2/2 flinches with Extrasensory (1% chance of it happening 2 times in a row) after Payapa Berries... Come on Fern, you had all the luck in the world, and still lost. It even rained, preventing my Skuntank from setting the field on fire with Flame Burst! xD And it was Grassy Terrain! How many more favouring conditions does Fern need to win?

Thank you @RedAlert! I'm taking good care of Oceanus :) 

A non-STAB Extrasensory by Roserade always OHKO'es EVERYTHING that is weak to Psychic. A non-STAB supereffective move we use vs ANYTHING only deals about 70% of their max HP. Cause reasons. PJSalt

That is so true lol, i'm salty :>